Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolegad Greystones - Cairns Development

Options
  • 29-11-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I heard loads about this development previously but haven't heard any more recently. I was wondering if it's still going ahead?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Where is it supposed to be?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's the one behind Waverly / Seagreen I believe. With the entrance off the new road that's going to be opposite the cemetery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's a SHD (one of the last to go through that process) here's the website with plans etc: https://www.coolagadshd.com/

IDK if it's been approved yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think WTF might be more appropriate. I wonder why the government feel it might be necessary to further incentivise the developers.

Shudder to think of the impact this would have on local infrastructure and services. On the otherhand I suppose these developments will help to ease the housing crisis.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Some joined up thinking would be nice.

the land was zoned residential many years ago, so it was inevitable it would be built on eventually. There's more zoned land behind Waverley but that's pretty much the last large landbank.

there are infrastructure improvements planned - improved Dart capacity, bus priority on the N11, school extensions etc, but they're all lagging well behind the housing developments.

“the land was zoned residential many years ago, so it was inevitable it would be built on eventually."

Yes, it was inevitable that despite the chronic lack of sufficient infrastructure these houses will be built.

"there are infrastructure improvements planned"

Planned is of little use, we need the improvements to be implemented before more houses are built. It's the same old story, too little too late.

"improved Dart capacity"

This will help a bit but a major limitation is the single track through Bray Head. I don't see this changing.

"bus priority on the N11"

This will add to the misery of those that are forced to drive on the N11.

"school extensions etc"

It will take more than that with the volume of new houses a lot more new schools are needed.

the Dart plan involves doubling the track between Greystones station and the tunnel, and also on the Bray side of the head. this will allow a 20 minute frequency (up from the current 30 minute).

The N11 bus lane will be built in the hard shoulder, so no capacity reduction in the general lanes. those that are "forced" to drive will benefit if more people take the bus.

I believe once the extensions in St David's and TCG are built, along with the Community College's new building (funding was announced this week for that), there will be 3 1000-capacity secondaries in the town. I think a secondary school in Newtown is needed as well at this stage. Primary schools I'm not sure of, but I know St Patrick's is effectively doubling in size.

I agree with your general points. We do need more housing though the infrastructure invariably seems to come after. I think that's just the way it is in Ireland (and elsewhere in fairness), things get built when they're urgently needed, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There's not much they can do to expand the dart capacity without boring a new tunnel through Bray Head

• Advertisement

it remains to be seen what's in the forthcoming Dart+ plan but the expectation is it will include doubling all the bits of track that aren't in tunnels or on the cliffs - this will allow a 20 minute frequency which is a 50% increase in capacity (basically a Dart will be able to leave Greystones before the previous Dart arrives and they'll pass each other closer to the tunnel entrance). There's an engineering report on this option here

Longer term if they want to improve capacity beyond this, then yeah they'll have to bore a new tunnel, ideally a double tunnel under the Head and then abandon the track around the cliffs; but that's a very expensive project and hard to justify when so many other areas have no rail transport.

"The N11 bus lane will be built in the hard shoulder, so no capacity reduction in the general lanes. those that are "forced" to drive will benefit if more people take the bus."

So no hard shoulder anymore! Leaving these drawbacks aside we all know this will not be done in advance of Coolegad being built.

"there will be 3 1000-capacity secondaries in the town"

Too little and far too late.

"it remains to be seen what's in the forthcoming Dart+ plan"

Yes, but we do know that it will not be ready on time for this massive development if ever!

"I think that's just the way it is in Ireland (and elsewhere in fairness), things get built when they're urgently needed, not before."

Agreed, but they are urgently needed now and this development ahs not even been built.

Other issues include no local A & E hospital..... The list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bluebird22

Wow, that site looks massive!! Does 'shd' above mean social housing development?

Strategic Housing Development - it's a mechanism for developers to apply directly to An Bord Pleanala. This is one of the last SHDs as the govt is ending the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

It seems the latest application to Wicklow CoCo. has been refused. It's still working it's way through the SHD process though.

Cairn must have gone crying to the Sunday Times because their business section had a front page story with absolutely no context about how 'Wicklow will be missing out on valuable homes because of the decision'.

Nothing a few brown envelopes can’t solve 😀😆😀

Something tells me this will be resolved to the developer’s satisfaction in the next while.

Advertisement