Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Utterly disgraceful. So the message being sent out it's grand to remonstrate with a match official in an aggressive and abusive manner without repercussions. It's happening up and down the country every day and this will only add to it. Only a matter of time before the next assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Exactly.

So why haven't every manager this year got suspensions? Pat Ryan is the only manager I have not seen chasing and shouting at linesmen and refs. Kiely and Kinnerk never left the lineman and fourth official alone in the first half against Tipp.

Why is Davy only getting yellow cards?

Why did Ben O'Connor only get a yellow card?

What was the abuse?

What I heard him say was, 'You must be ashamed of yourself for that call. Ashamed of yourself.'

I think the box needs to be smaller and there should be a person assigned to make sure the manager and selectors/coaches stay in that box. Even mic them and record them for after the game analysis if needs be. Make transcripts public. There's software to do that. That will put a stop to it.

That was him at one of his own players in the first half.

You can make a picture portray anything. You can't hang someone on the grounds of a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

You are right but also sidestepping my point completely. what you asked is the.same as saying if ref blows for one thrown handpass what about all the other ones not blown for

My point is that where the ref does have the gumption to take action the gaa should back him to the hilt

I do agree all managers are as bad as each other and not singling out cahill but as I said before if they do get punishment they should accept it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theres a 4th official who should be responsible for management of the coaches on sideline. get a 5th official to help that and help manage subs on/off and all necessary paperwork etc. Get ref over and sanction coaches more will stop behaviour.

Should they accept if they feel their innocent?

Does it not say something that the last two refs were back to the hilt but the Cahill case was deemed to be contradictive in evidence?

So the refs told lies on their reports?

Tipp lads can do no wrong.

No one said that. I'd only repeating the finding. If you knew what you're talking about, you'd know that.

If it was a certain Tipp ref who gave the red you'd be bent over sideways defending him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

He wasnt 'innocent' of anything ...

"This is believed to reflect the fact that the linesman reported to the referee what was said to him rather than citing it specifically as “abusive language”.

He got away due to what the lino reported him for , its not that he wasnt being abusive......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That's such a **** show it's impossible to really be sure even what it means.

There's absolutely no transparency or openness on these issues which makes it a continual disaster.

It means that the lino told the ref to send him off for calling him (for example, as i dont know what he called him..) 'A blind b€st$rd'

Whereas he should have send send him off for 'Abusive behaviour' ...

Its a loophole, a technicality......

Exact same response as my last post. It absolutely doesn't say that. It's your inference.

It could mean the refs lost control of the game for the last ten minutes and most decisions were consistently wrong in that period, including this one.

Surely, if there was abusive language in what was reported it would be abusive language.

Yes, as i said, that was just an example to illustrate the difference , and the reason , why he cud appeal it...

Its a loophole that lads look for when they cant accept being punished ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

ET I have to say you’re coming out of this very badly . You started this thread and now you’re trying to defend Liam Cahill and engaging in whataboutery. You can’t have it both ways.

As I've pointed out if LC was managing Waterford ET would have a different view. If it were the Tipp lad who retired from reffing he'd be calling for a ban. Can you not see what is going on?

Liam Cahills ban was rescinded due to a technicality. Correct.

• Advertisement

All I’m asking for is a fair ban on all managers who engage in abuse. And a clear and detailed and public description of each case. They’re clearly not all the same. Can’t be. Some will be less and others will be more ugly

in my opinion. Liam Cahill has done nothing that most managers have done this season. And Cahill has got off because of that. Clearly.

Rather than clamp down on managers behaviour, they’ve backed off. They can’t be seen to just ban Tipp managers and that’s what it would have been. Are you telling me that since Tommy dunne no other management person except Liam Cahill has abused a ref?

cahill repeated what he has seen other managers do - Lohan, Kiely, Davy - and there’s still been no ban for any manager?

There’s no support for refs and managers can do what they want. Clearly, there’s no other take away from this.

if you want to see Cahill as the problem or the outlier, fair enough. I don’t see it. There’s a failed system here.

will an official get roared at and a hand gesture of disgust this weekend? Will anything happen?

Anyone know what happened with the. May you roar dying letter case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I totally agree with you , Liam Cahill is certainly not the only manager guilty of abusing officials but that doesn’t change my point that you’ve totally changed your stance on this .

This delegate wants to trial two refs:

A Cork club delegate has suggested the county bring a motion to Congress for two referees in hurling after Cork “were done twice” during the Munster SHC.

A collection of the latest sports news, reports and analysis from Cork.

At Tuesday’s Cork county board meeting, one delegate said two referees should be added to the list of experimental rules that are to be trialed during college games in the autumn.

“I felt that Cork definitely have been done twice throughout the championship. And we had an issue with Cork and Kerry the other day [in football]. Maybe if there was a motion put forward that they'd have two referees on the field and trial it, since they're trialing new rules in college games,” the delegate told the meeting.

The Cork top-table made clear that changes to playing rules were off the Congress agenda until 2025. At this point in the meeting, Cork GAA CEO Kevin O’Donovan told delegates that there should be nobody in the county looking for excuses over Cork’s earliest hurling championship exit since 2001. To adopt that attitude would “destroy us”, he added.

“Now might be a good time to just make this point and having spoken to a number of Cork hurlers since their exit from the championship and having had conversations with management, there is nobody there looking for excuses. And if we are going to consider ourselves unlucky to not be in the All-Ireland hurling championship, in my view it is the road to ruin.

“Decisions come, decisions go. Balls hit the post. Referees make good decisions, bad decisions. We are there as supporters. We want every decision to go our way. We'll say we were unlucky, but you have my word that the Cork camp do not believe that because if they did, it is the road to ruin for this county if our hurlers are going to use excuses of referees or pitches or dates or fixtures.

“Our team are very clear; they are already planning for next year. And there is nobody in Cork looking for excuses for our exit from any championship because I think it would destroy us if that's our attitude. I just want to be very clear on that.” 

No point adding another official when you already have 2 linesmen and 4 umpires. Give those 6 officials more powers first and try that before adding another official on top of things

Yeah. It's a pity they're not trained properly - umpires. Should the position of umpire be a type of apprenticeship for young refs - with more powers?

I'm not sure the last two responsibilities, off the ball and melees, of the umpire are trained for.

The Duties of the Umpires:

• To signal their decisions.

• To bring to the notice of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play not noticed by the Referee.

Responsibility of Umpires

In addition to the Powers and Duties set out in the Rule Book it is the responsibility of the Umpires to carry out any duties as requested by the referee. These often include, but are not limited to:

• Keeping the score of the game to act as a double-check for the Referee.

• Assisting the referee by keeping a check on time and incidental or deliberate delays.

• Watching the quarter of the pitch in front of the umpire for “off-the-ball” fouls.

• In instances of melees watching the players from one team to check for foul play.

i wouldnt call it an apprenticeship for young officials but just part of the pathway. In rugby for example you will see the 4th official and sometimes the 5th official in pro games in ireland being AIL referees who are on the national panel.

Umpires should always for inter county games be appointed. not the ref bringing same team every week.

But maybe it might be a good idea to make it into an apprenticeship of sorts - to get young refs used to the big occasion and pressure of a big game. Before being the man in the middle.

I thought this, little pod below, was a very interesting insight into the life of a ref and the competition. It's not GAA related but it could be something the GAA could follow in terms protocols and building a relationship between refs and teams that is more respectful

A Week in the Life of a Rugby Referee | Frank Murphy | The Big Jim Show - YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

Cahill opted for a hearing and on Thursday night the Central Hearings Committee (CHC) found that the infraction was “not proven” because the “evidence presented” contradicted the referee’s report.

This is believed to reflect the fact that the linesman reported to the referee what was said to him rather than citing it specifically as “abusive language”.

FFS

Advertisement