Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Perks

Time to do what? Find his flags?

Carbery does not aim to get his forwards to the 5m line, he always aims safe.shy.

The odd time he hits target but generally he shows no consistency with punching with his boots.

Don't get me wrong would love to him have a strong next 2/3 years to close out but he lacks focus and length with his line kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

As that interview phog posted earlier touches on, Rowntree knows what it was like to be left out of the 2003 RWC (for form reasons) and prided himself on getting back after that and playing again for England. I don't think there's a man better suited to empathise with Carbery's situation right now (whatever it is) and both Rowntree and Munster will do everything they can to get him back to his best.

(And if the parallels fully hold, it also means Ireland win the RWC!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd definitely take our season over ulster's.

I just don't think us actually winning the URC means we're the best team. I don't think anyone would honestly say we're a better team than leinster. And hence it doesn't answer the question if we're better than ulster.

Saying that, I fully expect to finish ahead of ulster next year and a lot closer to leinster.

I don't think anyone would honestly say we're a better team than leinster.

I would!

You drive for show, you putt for dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munsters system beat Leinsters system.

I can see Munster beating any team Leinster throw at us next season.

Very possible.

Winning the URC the first year under a new coach is huge, the affirmation is a great foundation to push on from. I remember when Leinster won the league under Matt O'Conner, very much felt like the start of something special.

I think Munster absolutely have a system that stacks up well with how leinster play but you need more front row talent i think. Porter-sheehan-furlong when fit is just absolutely world class game changing talent.

You might have an advantage at 10 going forward tho which is big .

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Better than Kitsoff, Dweeba, Malherbe?

Because we had no issues with them...

• Advertisement

Yea, actually i’d say better. I’d def take all three leinster guys over them. Porter is close to best player in the world for me. The only thing that he is any way weak at is scrummaging and refs seem perfectly ok with him being illegal as hell there.

I realize i might be higher on Porter than most.

I think Salanoa has game changing talent, and Barron has taken big steps this year. I think one more ball carrying option though in front row would help.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "you need more front row talent".

By the classic definition, where your front row are there primarily to scrummage, you could argue that our scrum could improve as a weapon, for sure, but it's more than holding its own against top scrummaging sides like Stormers. And any improvements here will come at costs elsewhere in the system.

Under Rowntree's system, (much like Leinster and Ireland) our front row need to offer more in terms of link play, carrying, tackling and poaching. What you're arguing for, it seems, is a player more in the latter mold. And tbh, they've done such incredible work with the players they have (ARCHER OFFLOADED THE BALL IN CASE YOU MISSED THAT), I'm happy enough to wait and see how the likes of Loughman and Wycherley continue to develop.

Don't get me wront, if we signed Ox Nche I'd of course be over the moon, but front row is nowhere near the priority I thought it was, even a few months ago.

Oh yea, i could give a crap about scrummaging.

I just think a big ball carrying hooker would add more punch to your offense. It would also take some pressure off guys like Coombes. In Ireland, it tends to be you have to sign somewhat elite NIQs but honestly even a guy like that to play the last 30 minutes would be useful.

The Munster back 5 is shaping up to be pretty elite, so yea front row is where i could see an improvement.

Pet peeve, but you know that phrase actually means you DO care about scrimmaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Barron did some brilliant carries in the final. He was confused for Hodnett by the commentary team at least once, partly because of the red scrum cap but also because he was knocking defenders onto their arses.

We may encounter problems down the depth chart if there are a spate of injuries like we had last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

An aside, but I think Barron’s lineout throwing has improved a lot the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was watching a YouTube clip last night, after it finished it tripped over to another highlights clip and Barron gathered a ball from a lineout and initially ran parallel with the halfway line then picked his spot to break. He really has a bust of speed.

I think it was the SF where he passed or stayed ahead of the winger in a chase back for a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

He outpaced Tommy O Brien in the semi final chasing a ball. Barron definitely has wheels once he gets going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’s had a couple of chase backs too, first to the breakdown. I think he had one where he got back and got in for a jackal for ages, and Porter cleaned him. Should’ve been blown much sooner, but he was so quick getting back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Agreed- he has stopped the habit of taking a practice stretch just before throwing which he was penalised for a few matches back. All that s* adds up. He is well able to run over defenders when given a chance.

Cork won the U20 hurling today and O Connor is officially going to play rugby it looks like.

Its kind of funny that cork GAA has now lost two pretty promising guys to rugby while limerick hurling seems to be composed entirely of athletic monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭50HX

That would be the JP effect😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

They are saying on the Munster fans forum that O’Connor will be converted to a 10 in the academy.

Interesting. I assumed centre from the very small amount ive seen. He is a big athletic dude.

This is both a fitting tribute to a true legend, but also a poignant reminder of what we soon stand to loose when he retires. Leadership, breakdown, grit and a nastiness that always just stays inside the line. I feel it will be one of those scenarios where we can't expect one man to replace him. But a combination of men carrying forward specific aspects of his legacy.

https://youtu.be/HVSG7MtDONs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Academy confirmed

Dylan Hicks, Shay McCarthy, Ben O’Connor, Brian Gleeson and George Hadden. all joining

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/06/07/munster-rugby-confirm-greencore-academy-squad-for-2023-24/

Interesting intake - Hadden had been rumoured to be going to Connacht previously. Hicks is very young to be straight into the academy straight out of school, so obviously they're high on him. Ben O'Connor looks very exciting from what I've heard, and I think Brian Gleeson looks like a guy who could be a 50 cap international.

Surprised neither of the Sheahan lads made it, and then a handful of other guys like Oji, Sean Edogbo etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

5 seems very low for what is a talented bunch of 19's and 20's. Danny and Jacob Sheehan can both feel pretty aggrieved having been involved with the 20's as 19's qualified. At least they'll have another shot next year. It's probably the end of the road for Oji, Buttimer and Condon in pro rugby. Josh Costello and even Sean Edogbo's chances of a pro career are hanging by a thread.

Advertisement