Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

I have been looking at bus options and not having any luck. The 2019 info on the garda site is helpful but surprised they don't have any for this event.

Its the collecting that concerns me although I dodn't think they will turn the roads oneway as you get close but it would be nice to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Same happened myself and my mates for Oasis at around the same age: all buses from Galway were sold out so one of the lads mum's arranged a mini-bus for 6 of us and rang into Galway Bay FM a week or two before the gig when people were complaining about a lack of buses, they took her number and passed it on to a few other callers, we ended up splitting the private mini-bus hire with 2 other groups, made some new friends for the day and had the benefit of the private driver who had no problem helping us source ice for our beer cooler, pulling into McDonalds at some ungodly hour on the way home etc. It didn't cost us all that much more than the organised buses in the end either.

Might be worth looking into trying to arrange something similar if your daughter's heading down with a sizeable group of friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

IIRC you can't get within about 2 miles of the venue for collection so you may have to park and wait for them to walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yeah it will be 30 min walk for them at least to be collected.

you might have to pay €30 for parking and just sit in the car for a few hours as dropping off and coming back in to collect will be probably be difficult enough

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You won’t be let park up on any access route, Gardai will be keeping routes clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This crowd on Saturday will be 90% female. Beer sales will be extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hope the bars stocked up on Wine/Prosecco and those small cans of Spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Is slane every going to just a rock music place again

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Four years since Metallica played it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mental its that long ago

The pandemic made it feel a lot shorter

No, rock music has been banned by the mount Charles family from ever being played.

in all reality 80,000 is a lot of tickets to sell, rock music isn’t the dominant music genre anymore that is creating acts that could sell 80,000 tickets in ireland.

only a few “rock acts” who could sell out Slane. U2, a reformed oasis, Metallica. Even previous Slane Rocks acts like RHCP and Gun n roses would have hard time selling out Slane these days.

people on here go about ac/D.C. and pearl jam but they are more likely aviva or marlay park level and wouldn’t be a sure thing for Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Next year it will be take that or westlife headlining. 😦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Ticketmaster saying only Mobile Tickets and no transfers to PDF/Print. Worried about this as the Ticketmaster App crashed at the St Annes Park site on Saturday and lots had to head to the Box Office to get tickets printed off giving their names. This is despite taking TM's advice of logging into the TM App at home before heading off. The App times out and then you can't get back in. If it crashed at St Annes on Saturday it's definitely going to crash at Slane.

Waiting an hour in the TM Chatbox now for someone to assist

Not sure how they can assist you.

you’ll just have to wait and see how it works at Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I might try and download to Google Wallet. I don't go that far down the digital wormhole usually so not sure if you need a live signal once you do that. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Monstera

Anyone know if it’s easy to leave early? We have an early flight the next morning (need to be in the airport at 0530 am) so keen to avoid hours of getting home after last song.

We have parking paid for but some unconfirmed tweets etc say car parks won’t let anyone leave until last song is finished.

It’s a 30 min walk to the car park from the arena area so factor that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Unless you are parked at the front of the car park, it can be hours getting out of the car park. Not sure about leaving car park early, but cannot think of a reason why they would do that. People could have emergencies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

According to RTÉ news the crowd will be 90% + female.

and vast majority under 25

presumably a few bfs dragged along and a few gay attendees (whatever colour of the rainbow they may fall under). And then parents brought along to act as supervisors.

gonna be a very different Slane to concerts of yore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

There's no bands anymore, this is the result of us downloading music for free, with the only thing selling what 15 year old girls buy who don't know how to download for free. Radio only plays what sells, so up and coming real bands can't get any exposure, or even make a living.

In the 90s and 00s there was original bands poping up everywhere, now you'll hardly find one in the mainstream. Guys like Post Malone, Kendrick Lemar et all, headlining the likes of Glastonbury etc.

What we've seen the last decade is big venues trying to get old bands back to play these places, but that can't go on forever. We as a generation killed real original music, songwriters and bands with a guitar writing original music and pushing boundaries. And they aren't coming back anytime soon, which is a shame.

We only have ourselves to blame. I find it hard to name 5 original bands that have made the break into the mainstream since 2010. We're still relying on the likes of the Killers, Kasabian etc to headline these things, but these all predate 2010

This is the best post I read on this entire thread. The only thing it is missing is about how this demise in music industry has been influenced by and brought great wealth to the likes of Simon Cowell and Scooter Braun.

There are still some genuinely talented current artists like artic monkeys, Taylor Swift and the 1975, their song ‘love it if we made it’ is an all time classic. Not too many more tho, especially these 1D twits.

1975 couldn't make it in the mid 00s, that was the wealth of bands that were about then. They only half made it after, as they persisted. Damon Albarn has been very vocal on the effect of stuff like X-factor and it's part in destroying music, which is part of the reason he refuses to do Slane.

It's hard to know where we go now with real music. We went from having Bloc Party, Libertines, Kook's, Razorlight, Kasabian, Killers, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, all the way down to smaller bands like Pigeon Detectives, the Enemy etc in the mid 00s. Now nothing. These bands had just made it before the downloading for free started.

If they set up today, people our age would just download their stuff for free, having the knock on effect that national radio stations won't pick them up as they aren't selling etc. It's a bleak state of affairs where real original music is concerned, yet how can it be changed?

Everyone wants real bands headlining festivals, but for the rest of the year won't buy their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

In the 2000s Matty Healy was in his teens, the 1975 broke through when most bands do, their early 20s

Fair enough, but even they were pre 2010. They were used as an example of something that came post 2010. Post 2010, music was being carried by bands from the previous era and the era before that again, and still is. Nothing coming through, not in the mainstream anyway.

Btw, Brian Jones as a teen could throw his hand to any instrument, being a teen in music isn't a handicap to "making it" like sport, you have it or you don't. The 1975s output, when they made it post 2010, would of been seen as decidedly average in the mid 00s, or mid 90s, which is why they struggled even in the late 00s

I first heard the 1975 in 2013. They had a kind of punk style, all leather jackets and Mohawks. I don’t think they were well know then, it wasn’t until an album or 2 later, in the late 2010’s that they became popular. They have been able to change their music styles a lot, but they generally have 6 or 7 great tracks per album. Their current tour was in the Point recently, a 2 and half hour live music extravaganza, a show you will appreciate a lot more in a venue like the Point as opposed to Slane.

Artic Monkeys are a great live act too, but they still play mostly the old stuff, which is classic indie rock n’roll. Their last couple of albums is too slow and experimental, and hard to get into. They are a bit similar to Radiohead in that they make some albums that will only appeal to their die hard fans.

The 1975, which I admittedly like, couldn't cut in the mid 00s. Listening to the songs that "made" them, they would of been lost in the crowd in the mid 00s. Give me bands like the enemy or pigeon detectives over the 1975 any day.

It's sort of like Dermot Kennedy, his soppy rubbish popular as there's nothing else. Compare him to James Blunt, Snow Patrol or even David Gray and it's poor

• Advertisement

Arctic Monkeys yes, they're who I'm talking about. The last of a dying breed

Advertisement