Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Thanks for that. Really. A theorist are you realhorrowshow. I did smile. Was that the intention. That was rather enjoyable.

much like homer Simpson. Very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Niall Murray misses out on the World Cup training squad. Dunno what more he has to do to get a look-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think this RWC was too soon, especially considering he could probably add a couple of kg yet. Would expect to see Henderson and treadwell filtered out post World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mad how strong Ireland are at lock now too in fairness, for a long time it was POC & DOC or bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Actually given how poor Henderson's injury profile has been, I think it's one of our weaker positions. The drop from Beirne/Hendo/Ryan is steep. McCarthy is just learning his trade, Baird preferred in the back row. The mystery with Treadwell is how he keeps on getting selected for squads by AF. Kleyn has never persuaded me and this Munster campaign did nothing to change that.

I feel for Thornbury, who I think would have fitted in well if injury hadn't excluded him from proceedings. Murray is definitely on his way to an Ireland shirt (he'll only be 27 next time round), Edogbo is the other one I like. Could see those two and McCarthy as the next generation, and who knows what Ahearn (and Darragh Murray) will become.

Anyway, Ryan is young (26), and will be around for another couple of cycles, head injuries permitting...

'I feel for Thornbury, who I think would have fitted in well if injury hadn't excluded him from proceedings. '

If I remember Andy Friend had suggested that Thornbury should retire with his injury profile. Have no link to the exact article

Mack Hansen recently got a tattoo of Andy Farrell's face, to go along with tattoos he has of Oisin Dowling's head and Peter Dooley's dad's name (?!).

He is a unique individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

On the subject of the Murray's, thoughts on Darragh? I think I lazily assumed he would be Niall mk II but actually I think he's a different sort of player, thinking that he hits a bit harder but isn't quite as athletic. Very similar spring in the lineout though.

Since we are now looking towards next season I wonder what folks thoughts on the so called favorite 23. My thoughts are we have our new incoming 15 and if he does the business then he must be the starter. Then we have a new incoming 10 and if he does well he should start. And everyone knows I have an issue at 9 but with him in the Irish setup it's a real opportunity for someone else to step up. Also i would probably see Ralston/ Jennings seeing a lot more game time next year. So as Andy Friend leaves us, well he has left us in in a darn good state. So kudos to you Andy and best wishes on your next adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looking at the Connacht squad for next season,

I think this would be your best 23:

Buckley, Heffernan, Bealham,

Murray, Joyce,

Prendergast, Jansen, Hurley-Langton,

Blade, Hanrahan,

Hansen, Aki, Farrell, Porch,

Cordero.

Bench: Tierney-Martin, Dooley, Aungier, Murphy, Boyle, McDonald, Hawkshaw, Ralston.

There are a good few positions where there would be a heated debate, which is a great sign for next season, that's as good a squad as any team IMHO.

There is a depth there that Connacht have never had, so even if and when injuries hit, Connacht should be in a position to sustain them.

I'm really looking forward to what Connacht can do next season, with that squad there should be absolutely no fear, the squad can attack both the Champions Cup and the URC with equal measure, and I wouldn't be surprised if Connacht made another semi-final or better next season.

1. Buckley
    2. DTM
    3. Bealham
    4. N Murray
    5. Joyce
    6. Hurley Langton
    7. Oliver
    8. Jansen
    9. Blade
    10. Hawkshaw
    11. Hansen
    12. Forde
    13. Farrell
    14. Porch
    15. Cordero
    16. Heffernan
    17. Dooley
    18. Illo
    19. Thornbury/D Murray
    20. Butler
    21. Reilly
    22. Carty/Hanrahan
    23. Jennings/Ralston/Aki

I forgot Prendergast FFS! He'd be 8 for me btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

In the opinion by Planetrugby, Colin Newboult (i do'tknow who he is) predicted 33 men Irish members for RWC 2023. Connacht men are Aki, Hansen, Bealham and Prendergast.( No Blade). Their opinion says Prendergast offers something slightly different to the other back-rower (Gavin Coombes) in the squad. I think so too, but not' slightly but obviouly. I think that he can run fast and has great stamina that enable to get some scores and backing up at harsh scene sespecially at the opponent counter atacks. He can kick, pass jackal and deffend in maul all well. I expect hiim to hard -work in coming a few mounths for the selection and become X-facter for Ireland.

I think that Tierney-Martin is a bit off Heffernan yet. The latter had a very good season imo. When DTM is throwing we seem to go to the front of the lineout a lot. I think teams are bound to catch on to that, especially if he is starting more games.

Back row next season will be fascinating. If Boyle can get back to his best and Jansen hits the ground running they could fight it out at 8. Butler rotating at 6 when Prendy is away with Ireland and an almighty battle between SHL and Oliver at 7.

That was Heffernan's first really good season in a long time in fairness and hopefully he keeps the form going next season. I think we need to back DTM with more gametime if we want him to progress though. You can see the issue with lack of gametime stalling progress for the likes of McNulty. But it's a good problem to have Heffernan playing very well and DTM showing how lethal he is off the back of a maul.

Haven't looked in at it but I’d nearly guess DTM would have more senior minutes than McNulty already. With Delahunt gone too there’s no doubting DTM will get many more.

Would really have to wonder what will happen long term with McNulty, could be shoot out next season with McNamara for a contract the following season

Not to mention Sean O'Brien who I've always been impressed by, think he will push hard for minutes too. My only concern is that I've no idea where Oisin McCormack fits in.

DTM played 18/25 games last season, and I'd wager played almost every game after Delahunt's injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Listened back to the provincial review on the 42 members podcast, unsurprisingly they were very positive about Connacht's season although Murray Kinsella was emphatic again that we could have won against the Stormers in the SF, which seems true to me and i think we've lacked self-criticism on that front.

Asked to name their senior/junior player of the season, the guests answered as follows:

Eoin Toolan: Conor Oliver, David Hawkshaw

Bernard Jackman: Caolan Blade, Dylan Tierney Martin

MK: Finlay Bealham, Niall Murray.

If pushed, I think I'd agree with MK. IMO Finlay has become the key player for Connacht in recent seasons, dominating scrums, heavy carries, great hands, highly committed, and, vitally, robust. Murray has been brilliant, he owns the lineout, curious to see what he works on from here.

Toolan is also on the money wrt Conor Oliver, who has been outstanding for Connacht since he arrived, I think he's played the most games and minutes of anyone in the squad this season and ET mentioned that he has the most tackles in the URC. I don't know what we'd do without him.

One feels bad ommitting almost any names in the pack, who have been excellent as a group, but Josh Murphy bedded in very well, while SHL ended the season brilliantly. Aungier continues to progress, Buckley boxes the ears of almost every TH he crosses, and I'm looking forward to seeing plenty more of Sam Illo. Prendergast, Dowling and Butler also very good, let's see if Paul Boyle can up his level as required.

In the backs, Forde has a signature year, while Tom Farrell was in great form and still has room to improve. Kilgallen won a lot of fans - how high is his ceiling? And lastly, Mack - I don't know if I've ever seen such a natural footballer - what did we do to deserve him? He's a treasure. A few weeks ago I suggested he might be worth a shout at 10, hope we get to see it in 23/24.

I was very happy, and relieved, that the Bundee situation was deescalated after the six nations and he returned to the field. I don't know everyone will live 'happily ever after', but it feels like the drama has faded. If that one had spun out of control it would have wrecked the year, regardless of the achievements on the field.

Lastly, I'm sad knowing that Kieran Marmion won't be with us next year, but he's had a great career with Connacht, including the pro12 victory, and some key performances for Ireland (notably against the ABs in 2018, see this pass https://youtu.be/45GxlMaBu48?t=4012), he'll be a reason to keep an eye on Bristol.

Who were your standout players of the year? And who are you looking forward to watching next season?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so theoretically connacht could get Saracens, sale, toulouse / LAR and Lyon in the HC next season....

Delighted to see Oliver highlighted. He's been a sensational signing and is one of the few players who won't go hiding when things go wrong. Hard to look past Finlay though. His past two seasons have been sensational and was delighted to see him shut up all his critics at international level this year too.

I'd probably have Forde as YPOTY from our perspective. A great prospect and really established himself this year.

Senior standouts (24 and over):

• Denis Buckley - thought his form dipped a couple of seasons ago and was concerned about how he would come back from serious injury, but he's been excellent. Had a really good season, especially at the scrum.
    • Dave Heffernan - best season in quite a while imo.
    • Finlay Bealham - found another gear at international level and was a clear standout every time he took the pitch for us. Class player.
    • Oisin Dowling - not the most outstanding athlete but a real battler who works his socks off week in, week out. The sort of guy every squad needs.
    • Jarrad Butler - like Dave Heffernan, had his best season in some years imo.
    • Conor Oliver - consistent excellence, although funnily enough I thought he was a tad quieter than the two previous seasons.
    • Caolin Blade - that he's played himself into the RWC squad says it all, a real liverwire all season.
    • Jack Carty - not going to get much praise on here, but you don't go deep in knockout rugby if your ten is as bad as some made out. Executed some absolute masterclasses in tactical kicking throughout the season.
    • Tom Farrell - so unlucky to not have a cap, our attack looks so much better when he plays.
    • Mack Hansen - we're blessed to have him. The sort of player who puts bums in seats.

Junior standouts (23 and under):

• Dylan Tierney-Martin - finally took off after some quiet years coming out of the u20s. Brings real pop off the bench.
    • Jack Aungier - showed up this season in really good shape and was consistently excellent. Solid in the scrum, great work rate, and hits like a truck.
    • Niall Murray - incredible breakout season, his ridiculous stats have been well publicised. Surely an international call up is just around the corner.
    • Shamus Hurley-Langton - slowish start but caught fire towards the end. Extremely energetic players with great attributes on both sides of the ball. Such a pity he's not IQ.
    • Cian Prendergast - probably my favourite Connacht player, a well deserved international debut punctuated consistently excellent performances in the green of Connacht. Incredibly effective in everything he does and with completely indefatigable, I feel like he's learning to be a bit more selective in his efforts also.
    • Cathal Forde - excellent second half to the season, took his chance and never looked back. So hard to defend when he takes the ball to the line and either wins the collision or releases a late pass.
    • David Hawkshaw - tempted to exclude his due to recency bias, but he had a great middle of the season and was just unlucky to get injured at the wrong time, and that Cathal Forde took his chance so well.
    • Byron Ralston - probably the best defender in the squad, if he could offer a bit more threat with ball in hand he'd be a real standout.
    • Diarmuid Kilgallen - an excellent athlete with a nose for the tryline.

Our squad is pretty stacked so can't see too many debutants next season, but looking forward to seeing more from the above, the new signings, and the likes of de Buitléar, Illo, D Murray, and Jennings, who all showed plenty of signs of promise this season. The standout uncapped prospects for me are Fiachna Barrett, Matthew Devine, Hugh Gavin, and Chay Mullins, but wouldn't expect them to see significant minutes in 23/24.

Anyone else get the feeling that Bristol will be coming to the sports ground next season with this new format?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hopefully, Bristol is a great away day, very easy & cheap to get there too. Not to mention giving Pat a welcome back. I'm sure Mul would have the inside track too 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Happyhouse22

If Bristol are coming to the Sportsground then there won’t be an away day in Bristol….

Thoughts on the draw? Would be great to have the two English teams away but I assume that won't happen.

You assume it’ll be one trip to England and one to France

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Corrib rugby club in headford lost most of their equipment/gear in a fire at their grounds Saturday night which destroyed all training equipment, all matchday equipment, squad jerseys and making the training area unusable. Total losses are estimated in excess of €120,000.

Theyve a go fund me up https://www.gofundme.com/f/corrib-rfc-restoration-fund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Not being funny, but don't they have insurance?

Obviously, it's terrible, but if they've insurance, why would they need a go fund me page?

Advertisement