Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Good account here in The Guardian around the background to why Harry is involved in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

“Most of the articles I don’t remember seeing at the time… but it’s distressing going through them now.”

Eh he is the one bringing this to court. 🤷‍♂️

From Sky News- just a bit of clarity around what’s happening similar to the guardian article above:

How is the questioning carried out?Prince Harry has brought a civil case against Mirror Group Newspapers, not a criminal one.

It means that unlike in the criminal courts, where a witness will detail their full recollection of certain events, Harry is instead being questioned on what he's already put in his lengthy witness statement.

Andrew Green KC, for MGN, spent yesterday dissecting the document - and this will continue in this morning's session.

He's probing what the prince has said about 33 separate articles published in Mirror titles between 1996 and 2010 - all of which are claimed to have contained details obtained through phone hacking or other unlawful methods.

Today seems to be much of a repeat of yesterday overall

• Advertisement

His case seems to be arguing that The Mirror could have hacked his phone(s). That is basically it.

It may have been better that he didn’t take this course of action and keep up the more believable pretence that he or people close to him were indeed hacked.

His PR (arguable if he even has a PR these days) will try and spin this with how exceptionally hard it is to prove hacking and how beastly all these newspapers are.

He’s not coming out well here and you can see why the palace don’t do this kind of thing - the KC for the Mirror is an exceptionally clever individual- the RF are not known for being so bright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Did nobody explain to Harry that he needs evidence when he goes to court.......🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Prince Harry to you and I. No doubt he thought he would swing it as he seems to have gotten everything else he's ever wanted.

Who advised him I wonder? And I also wonder are his legal team on a no-win no-fee basis- I’d sincerely doubt it considering any junior cert student could easily work out in a comprehension test (assuming they still do this sort of thing) that Harry doesn’t have clear evidence proving hacking.

• Advertisement

Maybe he wants to lose but have the papers prove canilla is the source and not hacking

From your link just now:

The Duke of Sussex launched his phone hacking claim to stop his wife Meghan from suffering abuse, the High Court has heard.

Asked when he first approached solicitors to bring a claim against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), Harry said it came about when talking about ways to protect his then new wife.

“I think it was a discussion about how to find a way to stop the abuse and intrusion that was coming against me and my wife…without relying on the institution’s lawyers.”

The Duke also claimed he may have been hacked on a “daily basis” over a period spanning 15 years, but admitted he had no evidence to show he was targeted.

He claimed there had been an “industrial scale destruction of evidence” of unlawful information gathering in relation to him between 1996 and 2011.

^^^ Also from that same link:

1:22PM

Overview of Duke's legal cases

Here is an overview of his current cases with a brief description to follow:

• Challenge against the Home Office over UK security arrangements
    • Second case against Home Office in relation to UK security
    • Libel claim over Mail on Sunday article on Home Office legal battle
    • Allegations of unlawful information gathering at News Group Newspapers (NGN)
    • Unlawful information gathering allegations against ANL
    • Unlawful information gathering claim against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN)

Jayzuz- it’s a full time job these legal cases- he’s admitted spending up to 1/2 a day at a time on calls with his lawyers. And in the meantime, he’s writing “tell all” books that he now has to admit are not quite accurate.

Its an extraordinary waste of time money and effort; especially considering he and his wife still rely on publicity to make a living - he could have done all of this on a few podcasts and probably gained a lot more respect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I also wonder are his legal team on a no-win no-fee basis

Well that's what they gave HRH to understand initially

• Registered Users Posts: 82,827 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or they had access to telecom logs. A phone bill will itemize your calls.

Harry’s finished his evidence- Jane Kerr Mirror Journalist starting hers now.

While Harry’s evidence may not have held a smoking gun, it might have given a human or tangible element to the impact of phone hacking- it’s just a pity his examples were so easily disproven though. I don’t know how long this trial is due to last or how many more people to be called but it will need more than what he’s said to secure a judgement in his favour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

He seems to have been very upset about the breakup with Chelsea, so I can see why he's angry about seeing it play out in the press.

I don't know what the burden of proof is in a civil case in the UK, but he doesn't seem to have offered much evidence, just his thoughts on how he might have been hacked and unsubstantiated claims of widespread destruction of evidence. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Davy was also reported on but she looks to have happily moved on with her life despite all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mmm, might further elucidate his crazed vendetta against tabloids if he blames them for the loss of his 'one true love' as well as his mother...

Yes the case seems gossamer-thin, you have to ask what kind of legal advice he was getting...

True, but she only attracted media attention when, and because, she was with Harry.

I really think Harry is doing this because of the paparazzi that chased his mother and took pictures of her when she was dying. I have sympathy for him for that, but sympathy doesn't win court cases.

A lifelong crusade against the press won't bring him peace so he needs to find some way to come to terms with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

You are talking nonsense. There was massive evidence of what is referred to in this and previous trials on the same topic as 'phone hacking'. The call logs obtained by the Met police back in the 2014/5 trial showed how the phone messages were accessed by multiple phones. The phone companies have records of when, where and from what number the voice mail was accessed which is what we are talking about here. With Harry it was his mobile which he alleges was 'hacked', this is not wire tapping on a landline. To intercept mobile phone conversations is extremely difficult and government level activity, especially back then, You would be 'tapping'the whole network traffic from that tower, or you would have to have equipment and be in the vacinity of the person while they were on a call. The default password on all phones back in those days was 0000. The vast majoroty of people back then did not change this password or if they did, they changed it to 1111, or, 1234. That is how journalists were able to access the messages (not the calls themsevles), anyone could access anyone's messages as long as they knew the mobile number and guessed the password but the call logs at the mobile company recorded the number that accessed the phone, which is where most of the evidence came from in that trial, they were found guilty and people went to jail Harry has produced none of this. Its entirely possible it was Chelsea's phone that was 'hacked' not Harry's. Or someone at the phone company was paid off to print out the phone logs so they could count the calls. No one is saying that this didnt happen at the time to many, many people, or that it wasnt illegal.

TLDR; 2015 called, it want its scandal back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Having their telecoms bills is illegal information gathering. 😉

So, in your world it was all legal and above board to listen to people voicemail and access their call logs. Oh dear!

Indeed! But there's the journalism loophole. They didn't take the document, or spy on the document, some 'blagger' did as they apparently say in the UK, what the US simply calls a leaker. And it's crucially to this court case and the jurors not, as the plaintiff alleges, a hacking of a cellphone. Do you think Harry bothered licking all the stamps to pay his bills in the beforefore times of paper billing? The **** he did, he as any Royal, almost certainly had that job fobbed off to staff, so if that phone bill was laying around any member of staff could pick it up and have a long look at it and memorize anything they wanted to about it, like piecing together which calls are from whom and how many are made. Like anyone can in any household where the bills are simply left on the counter for anyone to see. I would have serious doubts they had incredibly strict control over that information in his inner circle just off that, his inner circle being his staff and the like, not his friends etc. whom he sadly estranged over this kind of thing.

How do you know how she feels about the whole saga? She broke up with Harry in 2010. She only got married last year (at the age of 37). It seems a very long time to settle down after her relationship with Harry.

Where did I say I know how she feels? Did she get a pay out? Presumably her phone was hacked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

No, again. No one is saying that. You are literally making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Is it? Really?

So you are asserting that if I happen to have a copy of your itemised phone bill, that's it's against the law?

Not per se, no they aren't saying that. Within the context of what we are talking about here, this court case, and people other than the nameholder on the account (Harry) having access or sharing details of it to the Mirror Group.

• Advertisement

Are you now suggesting that Chelsea didn't get married until last year because she was heartbroken and needed to recover?

Bit of a newsflash for you, it's 2023, people are getting married at an older age now. Within the 13 year interval she may well have had several relationships and been with her now husband a few years before getting married.

You can't possibly try to extrapolate any hidden meaning on this.

Advertisement