Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"if SF go after the funds that are enabling a lot of private developments . . . . "

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have a close relation who is a retired teacher, I know all the details.

The typical pension, after full service, 40yrs, is 36k approx.

They paid 6.5% of wages towards pension. The PRD was introduced in 2009, so recently retired staff paid this for a while.

Yes, they pay income tax on the pension income, although note the following typical case:

• Retired couple on 48k
    • Pay under 10% direct tax
    • Receive full med card and 2x travel passes
    • Receive 35pm off elec bill

Yes, the post 2013 SPSPS is not as generous, correct.

Just had a quick check on my own recent payslip. I'm paying 10.1% through three separate deductions. For pre-2011 maximum pension is 50% of final salary (assuming 40 years service). In other EU countries this is as high as 70% (e.g. Germany).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, and they pay income tax on the 70%, so it's just another way to skin the same cat.

The net position for PS pensioners here, is really very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The problem here is that the private pensions have become inadequate, not that public pensions are excessive. The private sector is not covering the full cost of its workers, dumping the cost on the state to deal with those with inadequate incomes in old age.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The post 2011 cohort got screwed by the pre 2011 cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That's what torpedoed the last run of Metro North. Na Fianna were losing their grounds for a temporary period. The club members kicked off and Paschal intervened to get it re routed.

Only in Ireland, it would not happen in Australia or other mature western countries. Paschals intervention was parish pump politics at its finest. Another example of parish pump politics is Aodhan O'Riordan shouting for more housing and then blocking apartments in a corner of St Anne's.

The stupidity and nimbyism would drive you mad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I strongly suspect we'll see the day when no one gets a state pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement

Everyone is (properly) required to pay into the state pension and should receive it. The only amendment they need make is that people retire later and/or receive a lower pension if they still wish to retire at 66 or that people wishing to aim for an earlier retirement pay higher contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If people who pay contributions toward the pension arent going to recieve it they should be refunded.

This would not a wise decision as it would immediately reduce the number of people paying into private pensions which would not be good public policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If Dept of Education would take away the free option of a career break you would see a severe halt to a lot of those teachers heading off to Dubai. No problem with them emigrating, good luck to them, but their job being held available for them for 5 years and preventing someone in Ireland from taking that permanent role is an absolute farce. You wouldn't see it in most professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I've been reliably informed by a teacher friend that each school has to pay their own electricity bill, and the principal would be ringing around for competitive pricing each year. Blows my mind that the Dept of Education can't put out a tender to supply electricity to every single school in the country, and get much more competitive pricing through economies of scale.

Unions have no power to alter government changes to the pension scheme.

They weren't even consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Average person that is alive at 60 will live to nearly 90 at present. Average lifespan for both male and female in Ireland is nearly the mid eighties

The higher the socio- economic group the linger you live. Teachers must be an outlier to these statistics.

I suspect you are a teacher and live in the staff room bubble where you think all the world is against you

In a small school the admin is very little. It's in larger schools that principles earn there bread.

Daughter is a secondary school teacher. Fives years teaching. Just short of 50k/ year. In five years time with 2% average pay rises and increments she be tipping 65k.

Not bad gravy for that job

Do they get a retirement lump sum in other countries. As well Irish teachers are paid 20-50% above teachers in other European countries. They have a shorter teaching week and have longer holiday periods.

I get the violin out for you .

YA they is a fact.

Not a hope. The Do nothing brigade will always be looked after.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Very typical of the extreme right wing views which dominate boreds.ie

"Teachers are emigrating. . . . fcuk them - go after their career breaks. Make their terms and conditions of employment even worse." Slightly hard to do though when the minister herself is on a career break, coining it in DÉ.

The reality is . . . teachers are currently having their career break applications rejected and they're leaving anyway. They don't care whether their application for career breaks is accepted by BoM's or not.

Recently I've started noticing a separate trend. Teachers on career breaks and teaching in other countries deciding themselves they won't return to teaching in Ireland and just resigning. They've seen the grass on the other side and it's definitely greener.

As regards "You wouldn't see it in most professions?" Actually you would do - Career breaks are a mature way for a management of any entity to treat their employees. Many return to their employers with enhanced experiences/qualifications elsewhere. It is how professional managers treat their employees. Those that act to punish, in some way, their employees by refusing career breaks (which they probably availed of themselves when younger) have the brain capacity of an amoeba - either that or they're members of Fine Gael.

To quote your good self:

"Daughter is a secondary school teacher. Fives years teaching. Just short of 50k/ year. In five years time with 2% average pay rises and increments she be tipping 65k."

It takes a very, er, special individual to take such a disparaging aim at their own daughter's profession in order to try and discredit anonymous people they've never met on this website, especially when all of the facts regarding wage are present on the net.

Here is the salary scale for secondary teachers. A current teacher on point 16 of the scale (16 years experience) is on the salary you expect your daughter to be on in 5 years time with 10 years experience. 2% average pay rises? News to me. Perhaps they will happen, perhaps they won't. Who cares when inflation is running averaging at 8-9% in some sectors of the economy and as high as 20% in others?

The world is full of spoofers and jealous shysters Bass. Of course you're not one of them, ;), but feel free to join teaching. Thousands of unfilled vacancies out there. Show the world, and your daughter, how easy it all is.

"They have a shorter teaching week and have longer holiday periods."

Sadly not true. According to the OECD Irish primary teachers work among the longest hours among 77 OECD countries and secondary teachers work above average. Other countries do not have the state mandating separate unpaid work outside their normal hours also - as happens with Croke Park hours in teaching.

Now go cry some more tears of a reality you know nothing about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It’s not a question of ‘if’, but a question of when! Ireland is moving to the same three pillar that the rest of the EU is moving to and there will be no difference between a public service pension and a private sector pension. And yes people will loose out on the switch over.

The only silver lining is that if we can hang on to the majority of the Ukrainians we might manage to push it out a decade or two. But the changes are low because post war there will be one hell of an economic boom there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

If only things in Ireland were like somewhere like Canada:

Unfortunately, we live in the only country with problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Can you share the data that shows most teaches only live to 65/70.

Sounds like absolute rubbish you made up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The word "emigrating" in the Irish historical context and the word as it's used today are nothing alike.

Before "emigrating" was heading off to far flung shores mainly out of necessity, wondering if you'd ever see your family again. Now "emigrating" in this context, for teachers, means getting a career break so you have a job to come home to when the travelling is done, heading to the middle east and getting well paid and being able to have fun on the weekends, flying home 2-3 times per year and seeing the world.

Hearing "Irish youth are emigrating in their droves" generally means heading to the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the middle east for a few years, mainly to experience life and return eventually. It's not because of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael or their economic policies. It's to see the world, live in a big city, live a different lifestyle, gain independence, and try out new things. Ireland is a small country after all and often to try new things you do have to go abroad. None of this is due to housing, income tax rates etc. Some of the most popular cities for Irish people heading abroad are Vancouver, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, London, all of which have rent rates that would make most people in Ireland cry when they see them. The current exodus of twenty somethings looks worse because it was difficult to leave during 2020-2022, so there is a backlog of those heading off to see the world

(Posted as a mid 20s Irish person in Australia - temporarily).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I am not jealous of anyone. I do not look over the ditch as you seem to do or whinge or complain.

On the teacher salary scale the 4th and 8th increments are skipped. Next September she will be on the seventh. In five years time she will be on the 12 the or 59.4k presently.

2% pay rises ( I actually think pay rises will be higher but I gave 2% as an average over the last 2-8 years) that works out at 65.5k in five years time.

I am not disparaging of my daughter profession rather I am countering the negativity you are spouting about it.

On hours worked I like to see the actual data comparing to developed countries in the top 25. I do know that France and the UK have longer days and shorter holidays as well as other EU countries.

Slava Ukrainii

I never stated an age. You have.

Information on age of passing away is fairly confidential and difficult to obtain online. This was information told to me many years back (by a person in the insurance industry) at a time when most teachers retired mid-to-late 60s . . . leaving age of death to be early to mid 70s at a time when the average age of death was 78 in Ireland (which thankfully has increased to 82 in the intervening period). Considering that teaching is one of the most stressful and intense of jobs (44% of new teachers in the UK intend to leave within 5 years) and stress is a significant cause of illnesses like cancer I do not think it would be unreasonable to consider the information I was provided with as anything other than accurate.

Unfortunaetly due to the ever increasing demands of the job many teachers are indeed retiring earlier these days . . . yet they're not retiring from work, they're retiring from teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The age I stated was 65/70. This is assuming most teachers currently retire between 60 and 65, which I think is fair.

So you have no data to back up what you said, thanks for clarifying that. Just something someone said to you years ago.

You are free, of course, entitled to go and Google the information yourself. Indeed it is the case that many are retiring from teaching earlier. That is because of the ever increasing demands of the job. But they're not retiring from work, they're retiring from teaching. Far easier ways to make a few bob post 60 years of age. A former colleague of mine (Physics/Maths teacher) is currently a chauffeur at a time when the government is calling on unqualified college students to spend more time in classrooms teaching Maths rather than in College.

I told you the person who said it to me worked in the insurance industry. I'm passing on the information here. You can take it or leave it. Call me or the information provided any name you want if it makes you feel better.

I don't think you're particularly interested in the topic anyway as you're here to score points.

Post edited by Peter Flynt on

That is a load of baloney. They must have been for 20-30 years ago and been about make teachers. This is the life expectancy data Ireland.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1072200/life-expectancy-ireland-historical/

Over the last 20-30 years the female life expectancy has not increased substantially ( from about 78-83) while the male expectancy has risen to nearly the same age in that time frame.

Our life expectancy in Ireland has risen more than most European countries. It's also tied to socio economic grouping. The higher the SE the longer the life span.

I have never heard of teachers being outliers to these statics

Anecdotally I know a number of teachers that have retired and all are hale and hearty after retiring 10+ years ago. Met a lad earlier his father is a retired teacher, he is 88.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

There have not been 2% pay rises on average over the last 2-8 years. There were no pay rises for the ten year period from 2008-2018 only a series of pay cuts with worse terms and conditions. Indeed even this year I've taken over €3000 in pay cuts as FG froze the incremental scale some years back (for a number of years) and never restored public servants to the level they would have been at. Post 2008 austerity pay cuts with worse conditions are ongoing in the public sector.

The data you are referring to has been published for many years by the OECD.

To quote the OECD:

"Ireland has above-average teachers’ statutory salaries (starting at about USD 36 6001 ) and longer teaching hours (905 hours per year in primary education and 726 hours in secondary schools) and instruction time (about 8 200 hours)"

https://www.oecd.org/education/education-at-a-glance/EAG2019_CN_IRL.pdf

This information refers to teaching hours only and does not include millions of mandatory hours in the system for which teachers are not paid for.

Advertisement