Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For starters it shouldn't have been Ant-Man IMO, even if "the quantum realm" was kinda his schtick. The fun of the prior films for me were in being the small stakes, comedy infused heist stories of the MCU. Quantum just felt like a half baked Guardians without the wit or thought behind the madness. At first I thought the menagerie of creatures were fun, but quickly grew impatient by the randomness of it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Fox were planning an actual X-Force movie pre-takeover that would've been led by Cable with the team featuring Deadpool as a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bit of sad news. Ray Stevenson, an Irish actor which I didn't know*, has died aged 58. His main connections to Marvel were Volstagg, one of Thor's companions up to Ragnorokk (the Gimli lookalike) and as Frank Castle in the pre MCU Punisher Warzone.

* I didn't know he was Irish, not I didn't know him full stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus 58 is no age; no details revealed but he passed while hospitalised in Italy.

I first came across him when I watched Rome (man, remember Rome; HBO's first big "prestige w. tits" hit back in the day, cancelled too soon), and he had great bullish charisma. A really good "That Guy" when deployed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not Marvel but he was a villan in the Arrowverse mostly The Flash. Was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Bit of a shock there, very sad and 58 really does seem so young these days!

I'd no idea he was Irish either.

Really enjoyed him in Rome (think it was the first thing I saw him in) and also Black Sails and Dexter.

Think he's also got a role in the upcoming Ashoka Star Wars series (reprising a voice role in guessing?). Hope it's a worthy send off to an eclectic career!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't think he's reprising the SW role he voiced in the animated shows, think he's playing a new character in Ahsoka, possibly one of the main villians of the show.

Wasn't really familiar with his work other than Volstagg, but 58 is no age at all, especially for someone who looked so healthy and young for his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

His animated character died so it wasn't that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thunderbolts has paused production due to the writers strike.

It was due to start filming in 3 weeks

Wonderman which was filming has now stopped filming as well.

Thunderbolts & Wonderman has paused?

😎

Ah, I'm sure there are plenty of fans enthused about these films happening. I do try to remind myself that when Guardians was first announced, I was like "ye wha? Ah the MCU has totally lost the run of itself", and look what happened. Turned out that ensemble was (arguably) the franchise's best collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paul Mescal linked to Johnny Storm role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Feige's net worth is estimated $250 million; when he steps away from Marvel he'll basically have his pick of projects to head. Favreau though has sunk a little in my estimations what with his dalliances with Star Wars getting bit out of hand.

This is as good a place to warn people as any as it's the followers of this universe that might expect it...

There are no mid or post credit scenes in Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

Captain America: New World Order has officially been re-named. Now called Captain America: Brave New World

Probably makes sense: IIRC "New World Order" has a bit of a conspiratorial history, right?

And pro wrestling. So chances are even though they were originally going to go with New World Order, they may have been concerned it'd get lost/mixed up in search engine results and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sure name it after one of the more famous Dystopian novels, at least they didnt call it My Struggle

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I think it is more about the story pitch than the other projects a writer has done.

Plenty of writers come out of nowhere and get a gig writing a blockbuster because they have a great pitch.

It isn’t at top of my most liked MCU films but I like Quantumania. It was fun and I like the Ant-Man family but Paul Rudd is not the Avenger that I wanted to see making first contact with Kang. Ant-Man should be fighting crime not saving worlds.

Blaming the writer for the outcome is silly. Reed, Rudd, Feige and a host of others all had read the screenplay and were involved every step of the way - the all share “blame”.

• Advertisement

He had a voice role in Star Wars Rebels but that character died. He is a different character in Rebels.

I thought I read somewhere that Kevin McKidd from ROME was also going to be in Ashoka M.

But mid and post credit scenes are why I watch movies… :P

Thank you for the notification. I usually stay to listen to the music anyway.

Oh there's definitely blame to go around, no question. But I think regardless of whether Ant-Man should be fighting Kang in Kang's biggest appearance (excluding Loki), whether the whole thing should be set in the Quantum Realm etc, the writer takes a bigger share of the blame for the movie just having no heart to it.

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 had the Guardians fighting Ego the Living Planet, not one of their usual comic villains, and had Ego be Peter's father, again not from the comics. But the movie worked because it was more about the idea of family. Peter realising Yondu was like a father to him, Gamora and Nebula becoming more like sisters, Rocket realising he pushes away people who are like family to him because he's scared.

Quantumania had nothing akin to that. It had no real character development for anyone. No resolution or evolution of existing character arcs. You could swap out half the characters for different people and it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

It was too much about the plot of the film, and not enough about the story of the characters. To me, that comes down first and foremost to the writer. Obviously we don't know what got cut from the film, and I heard they filmed the ending a month or two before release because they wanted to change it, but I'm not sure it would have made a difference to most of the film.

Paul Rudd would have had very limited control over the script I'd speculate: sometimes leads might give input over their own characters' lines and suchlike... but I'd say it's rare they'll drive the direction of the overall script itself (and when they do, it's usually down to an ego out of control, and some horror stories of a production following along). And that's assuming the actor isn't just a bit "I don't care, it's just a pay-cheque" about the whole thing - which is probably more common than the script-tinkering types.

It comes down to who has the most control over a given MCU film, and where the power lies: we know, for instance, that directors would have less control than in other, more "normal" films given the degree to which MCU films have "pre-vis" dictating things; so I'd be slow to blame Peyton Reed here. Many MCU directors are basically guns-for-hire, and Reed likely had a schedule of "location" shooting days to accomplish, with all the (shítty) CGI happening elsewhere and outside his control. Again, rampant speculation on my part here, 'cos something like Gurdians' distinct set-pieces hinted towards James Gunn having a stronger hand across all phases of production.

I don't think it's a coincidence though that a writer for Rick & Morty produced a MCU script that ... looked and felt very like a Rick & Morty episode. I kinda liked the crazy exotica of the Quantum Realm - it reminded me of Farscape gone nuts - elements like living houses were a really interesting, unique idea; but there was nothing behind the strange creatures, it felt like that style of humour where it's "random" for random's sake. Again, very Ricky & Morty IMO.

Agreed. And in many ways it does make sense for an R&M writer to be involved because that kind of stuff is prime for the Quantum Realm.

But when all you've written is a few R&M episodes as a staff writer, and just jokes for Jimmy Kimmel, it's a big leap to Quantumania.

So it's probably fair that I clarify my issue is the writing (and therefore all who had a hand in it from development all the way through to filming and editing and how all their decisions may have affected things), rather than just the writer. But also a more experienced writer from the start may have negated a lot of the eventual issues.

I don’t agree. The director, actors, producers and even Feige himself knew what they were making. I think the “blame” is equal among all.

And maybe the writer wasn’t writing his own story but hired to turn a pre-made plot to into a screenplay.

Maybe he would have great a story like Avengers 5.

And there hasn’t been any details about him being removed from the next movie. For all anyone knows he was sick of getting **** from people about Ant-Man and quit.

Who knows.

and I was wrong earlier. Working on Rick and Morty should exclude a writer from the MCU, Star Wars, DC and all other projects.

Regardless fair is fair and there was more than one chef who saw the list of ingredients.

I guess I shouldn't say the actors as you are right about their rung on the ladder but I meant there was an awful lot of powers that be that approved of the script. I disagree about the director - surely he has enough say to approach Feige and voice concerns, etc.

And the writer is also not responsible for **** CGI.

I didn’t notice any thought or at least I don’t remember. What are the stand out bad moments?

Spon Farmer, look at Star Trek: Lower Decks. Created by Rick & Morty writer Mike McMahan who happens to be a life long Trekkie. The show is a massive success. 3 seasons aired and has been renewed for season 5 before season 4 has aired.

• Advertisement

Did you actually read beyond the headline?

Because the headline didn’t even match the article.

Where did Hemsworth say he regretted or hated anything?

His kids friends “critiqued” the movie. He was both amused and embarrassed about that - which I think is a feeling many people with children can understand.

Advertisement