Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And he's the one who wrote the recipe they were working off.

The majority of the blame for the writing has to lie with the writer.

And I never said working on Rick & Morty should exclude a writer from other projects. I said one of Marvel's biggest issues at the minute is writing, and a lot of that comes from inexperienced writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hemswoth literally said "It got too silly" if you think thats praise then god help ya.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the upshot was Quantumania's poor reception cost Jeff Loveness the Avengers job, and TBH while it's arguable he was a scapegoat in all this, I'm not sure it was ever a smart move entrusting the next Avengers film to a relative newbie anyway. So perhaps the right move for the wrong reasons.

But with the MCU, for directors, there's not as much creative leeway as with other productions. You'd do well to name a director with any kind of clout, or even a deep CV prior to joining the MCU at this stage in the franchise's lifespan. By way of example Jon Watts had only directed 2 small indie films before he was given the Spider-Man: Homecoming gig. Gunn's gone, Favreau hasn't directed since Iron Man 2, Shame Back did 1 and was gone, and Sam Raimi seemed to be there for the paycheque.

Directors don't necessarily have the power, or interest, to change scripts. Again no more than with actors you'll have those who just want to do the job and if the script says X, the directors organises the shooting of X. Some might be excited just to work on a big Hollywood production with superheroes and A List stars. It takes a lot of confidence and a certain type of director to stop a shoot and say "I think we should rewrite this scene", not to mention potentially being a union issue if the director isn't an actual guild member (to note the current state of Hollywood as I type!).

It'd take some nerve to walk up the Kevin Feige, head of the biggest movie franchise in history, and say "this ain't working, we need rewrites cos I'm not sure it's good".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,809 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's really hard to tell how experienced or inexperienced any writer is from a distance... credits only tell you what's been produced, but given that there are a million factors to take into account for a script to actually get made, it's harsh to judge someone entirely on their credit list. It's probably safe to say that fella has 5+ more finished feature scripts in his drawer at home that haven't found the right circumstances to get made yet. IMDB credits are all we have to go on, but it's worth keeping in mind that it only tells a tiny percentage of their story as a writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Plenty of people saw that screenplay. Plenty hold equal responsibility.

I didn’t said you said that about Rick and morty writers. I was referring to own statement earlier.

• Advertisement

Yes he said that but didn’t say regret or hate.

If you think silly is the same as regret and hate then it is you that needs the help not I because I’m not the one telling myself lies.

why would it take nerves to talk to the boss?

You give the opinion - he either listens or he doesn’t

If a director is indeed a gun for hire then so is the writer. So why are people putting all the blame on him? Feige read the script and approved it or he didn’t read it and approved it. He is the captain and the captain is accountable for the actions of his crew.

I think we are all just repeating ourselves though. I don’t think Loveness should hold the majority of blame, you guys do.

Im not wrong and neither are you. ;)

Now I can’t remember why I posted here yesterday? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like if the character returns, we'll have another Namor

MCU’s Namor Star Tenoch Huerta Accused of Sexual Assault by Mexican Musician

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"Accused". Still has the the right to the presumption of innocence until either admittance or prosecution by official court proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think this is the chance you take when you invest so much in relative unknowns. Obviously Majors was a star on the rise but still, you'd want to be quite certain that you can depend on these guys when pinning multiple films on the characters they're playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

New Disney release dates:

Deapool 3  - 5/3/24

Captain America: Brave New World - 8/26/24

Thunderbolts - 12/20/24

Blade- 2/14/25

Fantastic 4 - 5/2/25

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - 5/1/26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Schedule dates changed for the rest of Phase 5 & 6 (not including The Marvels).

CAPTAIN AMERICA: BRAVE NEW WORLD

Previously dated on 5/3/24 moves to 7/26/24

THUNDERBOLTS

Previously dated on 7/26/24 moves to 12/20/24

BLADE

Previously dated on 9/6/24 moves to 2/14/25

UNTITLED DEADPOOL MOVIE

Previously dated on 11/8/24 moves to 5/3/24

FANTASTIC FOUR

Previously dated on 2/14/25 moves to 5/2/25

AVENGERS: THE KANG DYNASTY

Previously dated on 5/2/25 moves to 5/1/26

AVENGERS: SECRET WARS

Previously dated 5/1/26 is now dated on 5/7/27

(Dates shown in Americanese with the day and month in the wrong way)

Probably for the best. Writers strike and some lacklustre recent showings, plus how rushed films like Blade looked like they could be.

Gives them a bit more time to figure out whether to keep Majors or not. Though is he meant to be in Loki season 2?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes he will heavily feature in season 2 of Loki still.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sadly secret invasion getting hit with reviews citing it as bland and boring. The marvel decline continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels like Deadpool being put up front and center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

James Gunn, in an interview with Michael Rosenbaum, gave Deadpool and Into the Spiderverse his thumbs up as the best comic superhero movies.

Post edited by Brief_Lives on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Feels like recency bias- I would think at least one of the original Spiderman 1&2, Blade and the original Batman would also get a mention.

I think Logan is sorta forgotten as being an actual comic book movie given how radically different and non-franchise it is or else that is a huge oversight.

And while the Fox-fanchise is a hape, as a standalone film X-Men: Days of Future Past is actually quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Days of future past is one of the most faithful to the comic books even dressing them like their comic book counterparts. Logan very good too- I guess Gunn was looking for fun superhero movies to mention perhaps signposting he may move away from DC movies being dark.

he also name checked the original Christopher Reeve Superman.

good interview, worth a listen. the search bar shows you the topics discussed..

Though didn't he also say The Flash is one of the greatest superhero films ever made?

Ah yep that'd explain it alright!

I just find that amongst all the banter/jokes/infamy a lot of the actual good parts from the Fox-verse is ignored.

i'd have to go back through the transcript, which I won't. As DC head now, I'm not sure what I would believe with him, going forward.

I thought Suicide Squad and The Suicide Squad were awful, awful movies...and he was responsible for 1 of them, with DC.

its only 2 episodes released.... these nerds need to relax..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the reviews aren't even bad, more mediocre - hardly The Idol levels!

That said, it'll be Disney realising that expensive blockbuster streaming shows are an unsustainable money sink that leads to a scale-back in Marvel TV series, rather than some middling reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's weird how the Film Forum has become beset by doom merchants and rubber neckers, leering over critical failure and potential box office flops. Here, the Indy 5 or Disney/Pixar thread, etc. Fairly dismal pessimistic energy all told of late.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If you want miserable doom merchants keep an eye out for the next alien movie due out next year.

Advertisement