Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Had this beauty serviced since I bought it two months ago 'cos it was running a tad quick. Learned it was never opened and never polished and most likely never or hardly ever worn. Needless to say it wasn't polished this time around either. Got really lucky with this one I think and really chuffed with it.

Sunshine makes all the difference, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They're class. Bit of a gem that you can get for thousands less than a plain old boring sub. I've no doubt that will not always remain to be the case, these will likely go up in value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oldest wristwatch I have and pretty early for a Longines wristwatch. 1912, the year of the Titanic. Sold through their rep in Rome. The retailer's name would have been overprinted in the space under the 12, long since washed away.

Unlike the far more luck than judgement on my part with my other early wristlets that came to me in daftly, nay criminally good nick, this one was a bit of a Trigger's broom. The movement was pretty gummed up with a busted balance staff. A clean and a donor movement from a ladies pocketwatch sorted the balance bits. The Breguet hands had been replaced and the original "red 12" dial had more dodgy hairlines than a Turkish wig emporium and was held on with a dab of glue😳. Took a while to source both, again from yet another pocketwatch movement that was toast(a lovely 18 jewel job), but the dial and hands were tip top.

The watch was a 130 quid three snifters of Bordeaux past midnight hail Mary punt, the spares racked up to 60 quid all in. Followed by fiddly cursing with my tongue making it's home peeking out the corner of my mouth. With more cursing. Sadly I'm not anything like as skilled as H_Lime of this parish when it comes to the watch spannering.

Still, pretty good for 200 euroquids for a little piece of history. From a time in collecting when that was still possible. Though of late I'd say it still is with a keen search, though supply is way down compared to ye Olde Days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

two new watches to the household.

1. my wife's new tank must
    2. a recently repaired and revived 1970s citizen parawater diver. new sapphireand model correct style of rubber strap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭H_Lime

You resisted the temptation to polish the case and replace the insert. Patinatastic:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,984 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steinhart Nav B back on the wrist again today for the first time in ages.

Quite a big dial to get used to after wearing the 39mm Speedmaster Reduced for a few months in a row.

It's such a clean dial though, absolutely love it. No mistaking the time whatsoever while out on the bike!

There are absolutely loads of scratches all over the bezel from wear and I have to say, it really looks great in person. Contrasts against the (almost!) flawless sapphire crystal.

No, I was getting this repaired for my dad who used it for scuba diving before I was born. The scratched up mineral glass had to go as it was obscuring the dial but everything else was kept the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

can i ask about the Cartier Must? Might be a present for wife for xmas

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got a Tudor Fabric strap for my BB GMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

An interesting video from Adrian, who got the tour of the Tudor factory recently. Makes me want to go out and buy one straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I'd love one of those @banie01, but after having the real thing, it probably wouldn't last too long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grand old thing for the warmer weather, and though ickle by today's standards built like a brick poo palace.

German. Service Watch/Army 1941/42.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Snorkeling in Sligo over the weekend and trying out an Ali Express rubber strap,one of a few I picked up recently.Not quiet as good as the original,but actually not too bad.Nice colour for the summer.

If its a fluorine fkm rubber strap it's a good one imo.

What I do with them is coil them into a small diameter glass and pour off the boil water in and leave for ten mins. Instant form fitting on the wrist.

I have a few crafter/seiko oem rubber straps on the way for the ever growing enormous collection of every conceivable strap.

That Scurfa earns it's keep! Great to see it.

I can confirm my hitherto indestructible f91w's display greyed out once my sauna went past 90c. Mind you I nearly did too.

Worked later after it cooled though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

I ordered yesterday a RS1 Rubber strap from Helm in white 20mm, its FKM (Fluorine Kautschuk Material) rubber. Friend of mine swears its exastly the same as an Isofrane so at this price at $33 including delivery i give them a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Where do you order from? AliExpress?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

If your question is to my post, i ordered from Helm. https://helmwatches.com/rs1.html

Edit** Mines the R2 not R1** per link

Please ignore if not in referece to my purchase.

A good myth buster on the expensive "rubber" strap

For me a fluorine rubber one doesn't pull away at the buckle eventually, doesn't collect dust and lint, doesn't degrade in uv to the same extent as silicone but can oxidizer a bit. Overall they last better than silicone imo and if you pre form them ala my previous post they're comfy and good for a beating.

I just spent 200 euro on seiko oem ones not because they're better than the decent fkm aliexp ones but only because I wanted the specific fitment and style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for that link, lots of reading for me there.

I do have a few Sinn silicon rubber straps, aside from the ones received with watches, I was gifted a red one by a local here a couple of years ago. They look lovely but as is often the case with silicon, are lint magnets and IMO a little to stiff for real comfort.

I have a fake* Omega aqua terra strap that I wear on my GMT and it really is a surprisingly comfortable strap on a deployant.

My favourite rubber strap? The Citizen Promaster with ND decompression tables printed on the strap. That sentiment rather than comfort speaking though.

Other than that my other experience with rubber has been with Breitling and their Chautochoc(sp?) Rubber. Very comfortable but IMHO stupid money for what they are (Sinn too tbh)

*The fake strap was bought as unbranded on Ali, it was delivered with Omega branding and moulding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The FKM rubber straps are definitely the most comfortable of the rubber straps . I got a couple this week from strapcode for around €50 each . Well worth it .Very similar feel to the newer model Seiko oem straps

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weather. Last Friday marked 1 year already since I moved over to Henley, still enjoying everyday, learning something new 🙂

On the bench today, Servicing movements, disassembling ready to go into the cleaning machine

And a nice walk along the River Thames to end the day

That Bell-Matic is a cracking watch. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

This is just back from John Donohue for service. It had been running fine but just stopped one day early in May. Was a bit concerned about it but sent it to John and he serviced it for 260 and arrived back today. He said they do tend to just stop when they need a service as opposed to anything major being wrong. Very happy with the cost of service. 2 year warranty with it. i had been a little worried about it as the seller i bought from had sourced in china (looked legit boxed/cards) i guess just paranoia kicking in - i thought john might open it up and say there's something dodgy inside!

Lovely, and you can't go wrong at 260 quid for a service. 👌

Echoing Dragratchet's Citizen ghost dial today.

Thanks H. IMHO they were always something of a "bargain". Vintage Heuer(with Sinn history), one of the finest chrono movements ever produced and in this case with hacking and flyback, extensive issued military history(mostly fighter and helo pilots, some artillery in the sidereal versions and still in official use in niches today), with a tool layout going back to the early days of the jet age, a "waterproof" clamshell case design going back to the 30's and in my experience far more robust than most vintage Heuer(which I found to be "delicate"). Even if dealers and watch "journalists" tried to hype the prices up. EG...

Pity that was over three years ago. 🙄😁 More like 3500 Euro on ebay auctions. Clearly the "smart money" was huffing herbs. As usual.

Interestingly Jack Heuer in his autobiography and biography of the company doesn't mention them once. last time I checked the TAG history on their website doesn't either and they've never Done A Longines(TM) and considered a re-issue(Sinn has done a few). Odd given the history and they would have been a decent income for the company which tended to wobble from profit to loss and usually more towards the latter. I suspect because they were bought in as a design lock stock and barrel when Heuer bought Leonidas in the 60's, so Not Invented Here may be in play. Leonidas had produced a near identical watch for outfits like the Italian air force(with original expanding bracelet. As was the fashion of the time. I sourced a NOS 1960's Expandro 'Made in West Germany" for mine).

and mil contracts are always a very handy money spinner. Breitling had their own versions, as did Blancpain, and that's before the various French Type XX's.

They also didn't feature in Heuer sales catalogues of the time. They supplied the German military, their biggest customer(others being the Yugoslavian and Norwegian militaries)and as "military items" it was quasi illegal to sell them to civvies under German law. Civilian versions like mine are actually the rarer by some measure and usually cheaper with it.

By the late 80's when they were being phased out as military surplus, Sinn, who had the servicing contract for them, sold them off as "Service watch Luftwaffe" through newspaper ads(typo, they were issued from 67-86).

Some even gained Sinn dials, others had the non tritium replacement dials, others still were made up of parts Sinn had in stock. The Norwegian examples suffered a worse fate as the majority were destroyed. They literally took a hammer to them and into the bin, so survivors are rare.

Great spec and it has that harmonious form v function balance. If it were a bike it would be a seventies desmo super sport. You bought well and have history with it, who gives a feck what it's worth, keep it because you like it and not because it's an "asset". Too many people associate watches as mere extensions of fiscal capital. Objects like this and hobbies like this tend to own you eventually and bring no pleasure.

• Advertisement

on the wrist, my everyday watch for work and walking up the mountains: seiko alpinist spb201J1- mountain sunset.

Advertisement