Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dan Gibbons

Seems like there will still be a few days of this heat ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea I cut a few acres yesterday aswell. It’s a bit light but couldn’t not take advantage of this god weather. It will be lovely quality bay.

great to be not in Glas or acres you can do what u want. Although I will miss the cheque next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Plus 1 with the schemes and money. But its greater freedom and a cleaner farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Edgardo.

But poorer for biodiversity. I do traditional meadows for nature not profit and the reward is priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

THe Organics cheque is a lot heftier and yes this sounds mad but less restrictive than the new Acres scheme

unfortunately you are one of the 0.01%, most who did the scheme gamed it by grazing later then just taking silage out without trying for Hay, no satellite monitoring of fields in Glas so it was a free for all. There was feck all bio diversity in those fields of heavy grass silage.

That's all change now in the new Acres scheme as the eye in the Sky is monitoring and recording

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Edgardo.

I dont have any grants or schemes. Too restrictive. Purely for nature as mad as that sounds. For our generation at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

In NW and usually buy in good small square bales from up the country for sheep in the Winter.

Presume there is a lot of good quality hay getting saved at the moment?……although 80% of it will be in big square bales or round bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

So far we have roughly 100 acres baled in rounds for customers up in kildare here,near all lovely fine green hay, a lot of men are hoping for hay meadows to bulk up for cutting in 2 or 3 weeks doe

Yea same here. Most lads meadows including most of mine are too light to take out at moment. What is being made is fantastic stuff but being baked in round bales from what I can see

• Advertisement

Can Hay become too dry? I cut Saturday morning, it's at hay already, I have the baler booked for Wednesday but am wondering will it be gone to dust by then.

Mini tornadoes in the Meadow for a while this afternoon too, lifting the hay up 20ft into the air. It's like something from the US not in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Made 180 square bales this afternoon. Left a bit when making silage bales last week. Handy to have for a sick animal or a few out lyers. In the shed now, they were grand and light to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yes I think you can let it go too far alright.

Where it becomes brown and brittle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

First load of 2023 hay home this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Have good few acres down, probably start baling tomorrow afternoon. A bit lighter than other years, but hard to turn it down in this weather. May not get a chance like this for the rest of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Turn it. I bet you a fiver it isn’t you won’t know by looking at it undesturbed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

See in the journal that lads are looking for €35 to €40 for hay.

Yields are down but quality up. That is understandable alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Can’t see there being that high of demand for hay as plenty of hay made in the good weather

132 Hay bales from 24 acres. I've slurry ready to go as soon as the weather breaks, but I'd say I will be well back on supplies for next winter unless we get some moisture back into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We got our stuff baled yesterday afternoon and it's nice and soft and green. 93 bales from about 14 acres that go no slurry or fertilizer as the ground was too wet to travel. The contractor is bailing my grandparents place at the moment and I hoping for about 80+ bales off it.

• Advertisement

Yea I baled mine this afternoon. Lovely green hay. Perfect for sheep. Surprising it held up well 48 bales off 5 acre field.

All baled, my father was giving out about cutting it as he thought crop was too light, turned out was way more bales than he thought. Good to get finished with it in great weather and very good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yous all heading it into the shed before the weekend showers, or letting it sit out for a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'd be afraid to stack hay for a few weeks, not to mind stuff made this early.

Be leaving in the fields. Would always give it a few weeks outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Have it in the shed. Baled last Thursday down for a week. Put in the shed on Tuesday. When it was so dry it's a shame to leave it out. Probably the best hay got around in a long time. If you had a small number of bales a good job is leave them loose in a slatted shed, on the passage way or on slats.

100% into the shed.

If Hay is not fit to bale and go into the shed after the weather we've had I give up 🤷‍♂️

My motto is: if its fit to bale its fit to go in ☀️

Post edited by Sami23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Put hay into shed last night, we noticed one of the bales a bit different to the others so left it to one side until we finished. We opened it up and it looked like it was the first bale out of the baler and had almost half a bale of grass in the middle of it and it roasting hot. Just as well we spotted it or I'd imagine if it was stacked in the middle of the pile it could have set the lot on fire. Dopey c##t that baled that would want a good kick in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Advertisement

I'm that situation my baler man would wrap the 1st bale

Advertisement