Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

They always seem to unearth these bidders at the 11th hour. I presume they have a list of interested parties who they call to say the house is close to being sale agreed and people jump in a panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Sounds exactly like my own current experience. We were 20k over asking and the highest bidder , seller wasn't accepting our bid for a sale, it stalled there for two week as we weren't inclined to bid against ourselves when we were the highest bidder by 4k , I said as much to the EA, then another bidder appeared magically the next day ... I assume your buying in cork based off your name , by any chance is the EA initials JM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

She has got back to us, with a new offer of €1k over what we offered we’ve gone €2k more. I think it’s a rouse to be honest but we like the house. It’s in a mature estate, walking distance of everything really.

No ours is EA is SK.

we’re lucky that our bidders need to give notice to their landlord and are not being kicked out!! We’d be under pressure.

2 and a half weeks since we viewed the house as well. Was told the owner isn’t greedy….

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NiamhNaughton

Hey all,

We've finally gone sale agreed 2 weeks ago after a year of searching! We've got our engineer report done, valuation done and our broker says we're at the final sign off stage for the loan offer, we were expecting it to be finalised either yesterday or today. No word yet but fingers crossed for this week.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the timeline after formal loan offer stage?

Our solicitor is ready to go, seller's solicitor has the deeds ready to go etc. Would we be looking at another 4 or 5 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

With regards to EAs and possible phantom buyers... It's best, in my opinion, to try not think about it, just take them at their word because ultimately you're unlikely to get any proof one way or the other and people tie themselves in knots thinking they're being done over. If you're not willing to bid then tell them it's your final bid and you'll leave it on the table for X days/weeks.

There's still huge demand for housing and new bidders are starting to look every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

V similar situation to ourselves, viewed a house 3 weeks ago, house was on market a month at this stage, was no bids on it until one came in at asking price a day later. Over and back with EA until we stated our final bid 14k over asking week before last, setting a deadline of the Friday. Again we weren't convinced that we weren't bidding against ourselves. Was no correspondence for 5 days from the EA and he then informed us of a new bidders profession (lets just say a profession with a 6 figure salary) had come in last minute for a 2nd viewing and offered 1k more, not sure why he felt the need to tell us the bidders profession, thought it was a bit odd.

Pissed off, we pulled out of the bidding end of last week and it's gone sale agreed today at 1k above our last bid so appears to be genuine, could never have competed against a the bidders salary anyways but very frustrating.

Keep the head up. What’s for you won’t pass you. So I keep telling myself anyway haha

Update on our situation!

house we wanted has gone to an underbidder as they can close quicker then us as their sale agreed and contracts signed!

Crikey the seller must be in a serious hurry. They must be buying something themselves - always a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

When is the so called house price drop actually going to be seen?!

Small houses in cabra are going for 70/80 thousand over asking! It's still crazy. I'm being outbid all over the place, but maybe because I'm just not willing to go as high, I just don't think they're worth it.......

• Advertisement

Don’t think so, it’s a landlord who was selling… I didn’t go into detail with the EA

There’s none to be seen, the house I was bidding on went €21k over and I was €23k over! My own is sale agreed for €8k over asking. A similar house in town here went for €30k over this week and it made me wonder should I have held tough!

Just a note for anyone waiting for cash back from PTSB, we got ours yesterday, exactly 6 weeks after closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Just wondering what is people experience with taking a mortgage loan for a house that has half of the roof a flat roof? Do banks have no problem with buying a home that has flat roof or should I say part of the roof is completely flat.

Living the life

I was the exact same.

Drew down 24th April. Cash back received on Friday.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Banks won’t have the problem with the house, however you might have trouble with the buildings insurance, and if you can’t get insurance the bank won’t let you draw down the mortgage.

I lived in a house with a fully flat roof for a year and had an absolute nightmare getting cover. Loads of places just gave a flat ‘no’ when I rang but then I eventually got it through Glennons.

The price was probably higher than a house with a standard pitched roof. What I’d do is start ringing around various companies and try to get quotes now and see where you stand. Is it an older house or a new build? Ours was a brand new build so I’m not sure if that made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Using https://www.propertyhealthcheck.ie/ for survey on house I am buying.

Their "FAQ" states that

The engineer will do a cursory visual overview of the utilities at the property. Photos and comments will be included in the survey report where issues are observed which have caused damage to structural components of the property. This cursory overview is no replacement for an inspection of utilities by the appropriate professional, e.g., qualified electrician, plumber, etc.

Do I need an inspection of utilities also on a ~20 year old house in very good condition as well as the house survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

It's up to you, but probably worth doing. I used property health check, and they identified a leak in the downstairs toilet, but not in the upstairs one (which is more of an issue). They also didn't identify that 3 upstairs lights had no power going to them at all. If we didn't have an electrician in the family, the issue with the lights could have ended up being an expensive fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Thank you. Yes older house but the extension has flat roof and the roof will need to be done in a slope. So not sure if the building insurance will be first then build the roof in a slope be best approach.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

We are selling our house, which is sale agreed. The buyers have done their property survey nearly 2 weeks ago, and now want to arrange a damp surveyor to come also in almost 2 weeks from now, which really doesn't suit us as we need to move quickly.

Is this common? As far as know no damp issues were raised in by the original property surveyor.

• Advertisement

Some people want to ensure they aren't paying hundreds of thousands for a property that'll cost a fortune again when they move in, you can hardly blame them?

I understand it doesn't really suit you but if I was the buyer and you didn't agree to it I'd be pulling out of the sale.

But they've already had a property survey done, which would have tested for damp, and which didn't mention any damp issues.

What is the point in hiring a property surveyor if you're not going to trust what they say?

An initial survey doesn't really go deep into the property, the reports are full of caveats suggesting that structural and electrical engineers should be used and plumber as well.

The survey will check for damp in so far as the engineer will visually check but that's about it.

Anyway, you seem to have an issue with it and I'm not here to convince you, just surprised you can't see the logic in buyers thoroughly checking properties before forking out a few hundred grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Does anyone have experience with qualification of title and positive outcomes?

They don't just visually check for damp, they would also use a meter. Of course, this isn't the same as actually drilling into the walls.

If I was selling, I'd be a bit annoyed at them wanting a dampness test almost a month after the initial survey. They could have had both done closer together if it was important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hopwestlimk

Hi AH92 👋

Im in the same boat 🤦‍♀️ Folio is in Council name, it was a council build in the 70s, house has been inherited by son who is now selling. "Allegedly" council have agreed verbally that the house is legit belonging to the son and all they need to do is sign a transfer order into his name, advised this by vendor solicitor through EA. Sale agreed since 1st Dec 😵‍💫 with no end in sight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hopwestlimk

Hi AH92 👋

Im in the same boat 🤦‍♀️ Folio is in Council name, it was a council build in the 70s, house has been inherited by son who is now selling. "Allegedly" council have agreed verbally that the house is legit belonging to the son and all they need to do is sign a transfer order into his name, advised this by vendor solicitor through EA. Sale agreed since 1st Dec 😵‍💫 with no end in sight!! Cannot get a timeframe from vendor sol (via EA) My patience threshold has been well and truely tested 😔

Not here to dampen ur spirits, but I wish I had seen comments like this and others experience with same 6months ago and I'd have prob made a different choice.

Really hope u have better luck than me 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Anyone been through an online bidding process, come out as the top bidder, above the asking price, and seller still not happy with the price?

Auctioneera? I know one property we were following that was relisted 3 times. I spoke to the agent, as he was dealing with another house we were bidding on. He said that the sellers weren't happy with the price because their neighbour only a few doors down got only €20k less for a house that they viewed as being way worse. In any case, the house went back up 2 more times on Auctioneera, and got to the exact same figure twice more.

I just looked it up on Property Price Register, and yup, it went for the exact same price that it first sale agreed on almost 6 months before they finally settled on an offer.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how long BOI are taking to issue loan offers these days?

Our buyers are just kicking off the process now, even though we've been sale agreed for 4 weeks

Advertisement