Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dom40

i was expecting Ange to strenthen our defence over the summer,and grab some points in our group,maybe even get out of the group,It would have been his third year in charge with a settled squad with the champions league experience under their belt,everything is up in a heap now as he is on his way to Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Good luck to him.

It would have been nice if hadn't talked all that pish like he was sticking around. Tarnished his legacy a small bit, but he did good job for us and I'll wish him well down south.

Don't be pessimistic. We have a squad of champions, solid finances. We can get another good manager in and maybe do a bit better in Europe next season. We'll find out what level Ange is really at very soon if he does go to Spurs. That's not an easy job for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I don’t get online as much these days due to a new job but I just wanted to acknowledge an absolutely fantastic season for Celtic, deserved treble winners. They did it with style, as much as any other manager in Celtic’s great history. I remember Ange being appointed at the time and there was a lot of concern among the Celtic support, but my goodness what an impact the man has had. All credit to him for what he has achieved, he has left Celtic in a great position. But Celtic must go again, it’s the nature of the club, Rangers will be chomping at the bit for the new season, so it’s important to strengthen from a position of dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'm not sure on Brendan - I'll have to see the runners & riders first, but if it's a case of the inexpeirenced John Kennedy, Broony or Brendan, then it's a no brainer.

Could someone like Hassenhuttl be tempted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can also predict the chain of events now.....Ange fails at Spurs (like many before him), cue all the EPL fans saying it proves they could manage in the SPL and win the Treble if managing Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I think he'll most likely do a very good job at Spurs, they're not playing anywhere near their potential so plenty of room for improvement. He'll have to replace Kane but don't that will phase him too much

No idea where we go in terms of a replacement, Rodgers was great in his time here but not sure I'd like to see him return

Rodgers wasn't tested against strong opposition. We walked the league with no competition. We've no idea how he would fare against a strong Rangers team next season.

And he fcuked off abandoning us mid-season the moment anyone showed interest in him down south. No thanks, we're better than that. We can attract someone who hasn't just got a team relegated. We're in a strong position. Solid finances and a well balanced squad with good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Don’t be ridiculous Rodgers would be a great appointment if he was interested in coming back.

He effed off mid season yes, but so would Ange have done if Spurs offered him the job when Conte was actually sacked. The only reason why Ange went there at the end of the season was because Spurs went through a list of other managers who turned them down before they offered Ange the job as about 6th or 7th choice. So I would be in favour of a Brendan return not sure it’s likely though? I don’t think there was a good relationship between Lawwell and Brendan towards the end of his tenure which was part of him leaving.

I think we have good options to replace Ange although it’s always tricky appointing a manager. Someone like Knudsen at Bodo Glimt might be a good choice.

That’s probably what will happen.

If you read what a lot of Spurs fans say they’re not happy with the way Levy runs their club. Football doesn’t seem to be their number one priority. Filling their new stadium with NFL and concert fans seems to be their biggest concern. I don’t think Ange is a good fit at all for them but I don’t think any manager can work in that environment. Conte, Mourinho were winners everywhere except Spurs.

Ange would need time to build his own team, they probably won’t give him time and then just blame him for not being good enough. He’ll get a good paycheque out of it for him and his family though.

• Advertisement

Looks like Ange to Spurs will be wrapped up quickly, verbal agreement on terms in place and Celtic not standing in his way. For all his talk Ange has bailed in record time and pretty clear this was in the pipeline for a few weeks.

Hopefully on our side we have been working equally hard on lining up his replacement.

Now that it looks a done deal for Ange, next question is who would you like to see take over?

Would the fans be happy with Rodgers?

Yes, would definitely take Brendan back but like I said above not sure there’s a good relationship between him and the Celtic chairman from the last time. The club is in a good position, guaranteed CL football, would be a good job for an ambitious manager.

Looking at the odds on the new manager I'd be going for Rodgers from the top contenders. Marsch might be decent too

If get Brendan back out of this that’s actually a great outcome. Brendan is a better manager than Ange. In fact Spurs should have appointed Brendan but because he was sacked eventually at both Leicester and Liverpool despite being relatively successful at both, they probably didn’t consider him. I’d be delighted with that outcome if Brendan returns.

I suppose for me there is still a bit of bad feeling about how he left at the time. Hes a very good manager and with Champions league and the money that brings he'd have resources to do more than he did last time around in terms of recruitment.

I think there's a good chance we get him and might work for us that he won't come back to universal backing, he'll have to work to get a good section of the support onside

The support will be onside no probs. We’ll be winning with Brendan

Rodgers would be too unpopular and divide the fans. Also, like I said he faced a pi$$ poor Rangers team so his achievements were not that great.

Knudsen doesn't impress me. He's done very little in the game to warrant the sort of reputation some people give him.

We need someone with European pedigree, who has experience getting results in big games.

Rodgers would unite the fans no bother because we will be winning with him. The Rangers will be no bother to Brendan he will sweep them aside. Europe is where improvement will be needed. Brendan wasn’t great in Europe last time but was better than Ange.

• Advertisement

It's not difficult to be better than Ange in Europe, they were both hopeless. Like Bambi caught in the headlights.

He has no experience sweeping Rangers aside, because they were so useless they finished 3rd. His only experience was sweeping Aberdeen aside.

No thanks, Rodgers would be a backwards step from Ange.

We need to look for a fresh appointment, without the baggage that Rodgers would bring. Someone with better pedigree in big European games.

Not sure where you think Celtic as a club based in Scotland are at. Brendan Rodgers would actually be an upgrade on Ange. He’d be an excellent appointment. If we can’t get him I’d go with Knudsen but Rodgers would be a nailed on success.

I think the Celtic job right now is more attractive a position than it has been in decades.

Young talented squad with plenty of potential for improvement, qualified for the CL group, decent chunk of money in the bank and as much as I hate to say it both Ange and Rodgers have shown it's a good stepping stone into a decent job in England.

Hopefully we've done our work in the background and are ready to go with a good manager who can get straight down to work in the next week

Is Rafa working at present??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The bull statement issued today that Celtic have allowed Ange to talk to Spurs is just that. It is clear that Ange has been tapped up by Spurs and the negotiations have taken place over the last 2 weeks. Media interviews last week and Ange was absolutely insisting that the cup final was his only focus yet apparantly he has been negotiating his move away for a couple of weeks!

• Advertisement

I’m not bothered by it at all if we appoint Brendan Rodgers it’ll actually be an upgrade. Managers come and go.

I’d be surprised if Rodgers returns given the way the apparent relationship between him and Lawwell and the board broke down last time. However if they’re prepared to let bygones be bygones and start again that’s a fantastic outcome for Celtic to replace Ange with a better manager like Rodgers.

That's it official, he's gone.

He did a great job after everyone feared the worst, so it's not the end of the world. Life goes on, another manager will come and I'm sure do well too.

Not a surprise that he moved on but surprising it happened so quick. When he came to Celtic he was unknown in European football. He said it himself the other night he was regarded as a joke appointment, a nobody from Oz. To go from that to one of the bigger EPL clubs in the space of two years is a big surprise. I'm not sure he'll get the support and time he got to put a good team together at Spurs that he got at Celtic.

Good luck to him and we move on and hopefully appoint a good manager soon. We're in a good place to attract a good manager and develop on what Ange has left in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think Brendan would be a very divisive appointment. Many fans still blame him for losing 10 in a row, it’s was probably odds on Celtic would have won the 10 had he stayed. However, if he comes in and does well, I suspect all will be forgotten. But no guarantees here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think rafa could be a great fit with celtic, and would be gettable as well.

• Advertisement

Official now, he was brilliant for us in the 2 years he was here. Had hoped we'd get another year and another crack at the CL with him in charge. Excited to see who we will bring in now and hopefully get it done early so we can get moving towards next season

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

Rodgers or the bodo glimt manager for me. Rafa benitez would be depressing. Steve Bruce had a better record at Newcastle than him

Yeah, agreed.

Rafa is hugely underrated by many fans.

Much better CV in the game than some of the other names being thrown around. And still only 63, bags of top level experience. Has that high level tactical awareness that guys like Rodgers and Ange were lacking particularly in big European games.

Sadly, I get that sinking feeling that our board will take a cheaper option with some trendy young manager that has done very little of substance in the game. Hopefully I'm wrong and we can get someone in that will take us to a new level of performance. Particularly in Europe obviously.

4 year contract,he is a clever man and he played us celtic supporters like a fiddle,Dont pretend you are one of us Ange with "I will forever be a supporter of this great instution"crapYOu can go now and bang your chest and kiss your Cockerl in North London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I think your absolutely right there and I think this is why we are getting 5m from Tottenham for Ange despite his contract being just the 12 month rolling one. We know he was tapped up and could go after them for it. But neither side wants that hence the 5m payment IMHO.

I don't get the hate for Ange in this instance.

You have to appreciate that successful managers in Scotland will always want to try a bigger and better league, of course with the additional riches that come with a move.

i do not have any hate for him,Im just so pissed off and angry with him as i really believed he would be with us 3 years at least,but the way he dumped us over the last week or more stringing us along when he was already gone.i just cannot believe he ended it so dishonestly and and sneaky.i suppose i thought that he was a bit different and an honourable sort of guy. I never thought he would string us along like that for so long.Anyway We move on and he is history now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Disappointment - Yes

Hate - No

The last two seasons have been fantastic and we should not have such emotional investment in what a manager or player says but it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

Ah come on a bit of cop on here, how could not go for the big job in one of the richest clubs in the world with one of the best stadiums in Europe? If you had the chance in your career to move to a much better position with a hugely improved salary and a chance for a crack at the biggest league in the world then no doubt you'd do the same.

as i said i am angry andpissed off with the way he played us when he knew he was gone,"You will be surprised how long i am here"Yes i certainly was.I know the Spurs job was too big to refuse but the chest pumping last Saturday really riled me as he knew he was long gone before the cup final.Im just a little Celtic supporter and i love our club and it hurts when someone does these things to us.The treble win last Saturday just felt so hollow with me knowing he was gone well before it.It was a great 2 years of great football under him and the most entertaining style of play with some of the most likable players,He built a cracking team,i just hope he dosent knock it down now.

• Advertisement

I wasn't impressed with his lies in the run up to the final but not sure what else he could've said either. I don't think he would've left this early unless it was a really good opportunity which Spurs is and think when he spoke a few months ago about staying at Celtic he didn't expect an opportunity like this to come along.

Hope he does well at Spurs as in the long run it will help us attract better quality managers and players if we can offer them a route into the money pit that is the EPL but need as ADIG said we need to stop getting so emotionally invested in the managers and players that come through the club

Have changed my mind about Postecoglou. I won’t say what I think of him and I know he will fail at spurs.

He got carte blanche from the Celtic board. They backed him to the hilt.

He has let them down so badly to go to a club that never wins anything that will sack him by November.

Wouldn’t always support the Celtic board but have huge sympathy with them re this character.

He said it himself, sometimes you look after the family. That’s what he has done. They were surely already well looked after? He’s a liar.

He has gone to Spurs for more money but his career will suffer. He’s 57 or something so went for the pay cheque. He was hardly stuck for money. I think he will fail at Spurs like better more experienced managers before him in recent years. I don’t wish him luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

That's some u-turn from you in 2 days.. What's changed your mind?

He's in the big smoke now...

So naturally he's gone back to being a nobody from Oz all over again! 🤣

If he's got any other notions in his head, he'll be brought back down to earth very quickly in that league. As far as they're concerned, particularly the English journos, he's done nothing of substance so far in his career. Everything to prove. I'll be watching with interest anyway.

I thought it through. I can understand why he went, the money would be about 5 times what he was on IIIRC, but I don't have to like it. He won't have success there. Better managers than him couldn't get that club to win anything.

Yep. I think he's in for a rude awakening. He had everything at Celtic. They looked after him so well, gave him everything he wanted. At Spurs, if you even read what Spurs fans say on this site, they don't like the way Levy and INEC I think it is runs the club. It's all about turnover and making money to service the debt on their stadium. The football team is kind of a vehicle to serve other operations. Very difficult club for any manager to succeed at. Postecoglou will flounder.

Apparently we're getting closer to a Brendan return. Fingers crossed it will happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Howdy bhoys, haven't posted here in a while. Was pissed off with Rodgers when he left, but as a manager, it's hard to see past him as being the best replacement for Ange. Would get behind him if he returns, and I hope he has full backing of the board if he does return. I think both he and Celtic will have learned a lot since he left, I think we're more mature as a club and he would walk into a very strong position if he does come back.

Not hugely inspired by the alternatives I have to be honest. Whatever happens with BR though, no fcuking about like before with Howe. Make BR the offer, give him the few days, and leave it at that if it's a non-runner. Got to move on and look after the club.

• Advertisement

Is the Maresca guy still among the favourites?

Advertisement