Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

My understanding is that his contract was due to expire this summer or maybe last summer, he signed a new contract to ensure Brighton would get a fee and this is why the cost is low as the release amount must have been 35m with probable add ons. Great start and hopefully 2 more midfielders and a defender to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Surely MacAllister with premiership experience and a full preseason under his belt will be up to speed and a starter from the opening game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As it stands, I'd probably expect Fabinho, Henderson, and Mac Allister to be the midfield 3 first game of the season. Would hope that will change with a proper Fabinho replacement like Thuram though, very worried about Fab as a starter against any decent attacking team now, just an energy vacuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You would imagine he's going to be Thiago's replacement. He is not even related to the type of player that Hendo at his peak was. McAllister will not be bombing up and down the right wing while covering for Trent when required...i would assume we have someone lined up to replace Hendo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, that's what i would do, i can just see klopp being conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A new No.6 has to be the priority now, unless anyone thinks MacAlister will play there?

We have plenty of rotation options in Hendo, Thiago, we need to sign 3 starting midfielders and last years starters will become the rotation options.

We should always be looking to improve the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, in terms of style the players linked - give or take - would see Mac Allister replacing Thiago, Thuram replacing Fab (they're practically body doubles!), and Kone replacing Hendo. Thuram as the telescopic-legged physical DM, Kone as the hard running hard tackling (lots of yellows!) all action midfielder, and Mac Allister as the bit-of-everything who can pull back, playmake, and go forward to get on the end of things around the edge of the box too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The way Jones finished the season he deserves to be starting the first game next year.

I honestly think Henderson should drop out of the starting 11 most weeks now and be brought on for the last 20/30 minutes to add his experience to see a game out. By doing that you'd hope that we'd see the best of him again as he's not running himself into the ground for 80/90 minutes week in, week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Is it conservative or getting the player to the place they want tactically and physically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

West Ham will be joining us in the Europa League next season

Some would argue that McAllister best position is at 10, so he will definitely be nowhere near the No.6 role. As has been mentioned in some of the earlier posts, he's going to be the long term replacement for Thiago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Jones will be in direct competition with Mac Allister for the left midfielder slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

An Alexis AI Song.

https://v.redd.it/1bftqa52kl4b1

Catchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

the club used that AI song to announce Mac Allister signing!!

Brilliant!

Looks like he will wear #10 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

This post and the few that followed were cringe inducing in all honesty! Paint yourselves as such great fans who've never uttered a bad word about a player in your lives.

It's hardly surprising when new signings play their first few games people will comment on what they like or don't like about said player. If you's lads want to get up on your high horse and get all offended and then start back slapping each other on here, good luck to yous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think, like a lot on the internet, people are talking about the extremes but the argument gets picked up by those in the middle

I don't think anyone's got an issue with "X hasn't impressed me yet, hopefully they improve as they find their feet", but there are a few "X is ****, I've always said it" posts that are tedious at best

With Nunez, there's a lot of amplification of opposing views. It gets started off by unconstructive bitching and ends with people who think he's been disappointing and needs to improve arguing with people who think he's shown glimpses of what that improvement could be, but the argument is as if those views are "he'll never make it" and "he's already world class". Opposing views are misrepresented so the argument isn't accurate

Ultimately, if you think a player isn't cutting it, that's fine. But if you're real fan of the club I think you should be hoping they turn it around and prove you wrong. And there's a very small number of posters who don't. The rest of us are all much closer in our opinions than we think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Someone had their cornflakes pissed on this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Edit: I'm an hour behind everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Great that we have a great signing and also the first PL signing of the window. Off to a fantastic start in the window, like we have done in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Surely Mac Allister has already replaced Thaigo. Thaigo hasn't been available for about 40% of matches since he joined, no team can possibly build a team around a player who is unavailable so much. Mac Allister should be first choice with Thaigo (when fit) as back up. I know some think Thaigo can do no wrong, but, I'm hoping this coming season is his last season with us. There's no real question about his ability, he just misses far too many matches, plus is on huge money.

Hopefully it will be a case of horses for courses in midfield next season. There are potentially 27 cup games (15 Europa League, 6 FA Cup, 6 League Cup) in addition to the 38 league fixtures next season. Mac Allister is more than capable of replacing Thiago in the lineup immediately but I wouldn't like to see him starting every game just because he's available. That has been the undoing of the team in the past. Between Mac Allister, Thiago and Jones we should expect to see a consistent performance level from the left side of midfield with adequate rotation.

If the club brings in two more midfielders then Klopp is likely to have a major headache with selections. It would be brilliant to not have to rely upon Fabinho and Henderson but equally I can't see either of them being immediately displaced by 21/22 year old players signed from a European league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I've called robbo a donkey more times than I care to admit, including at anfield in a volume I'm fairly sure he could hear me at, that's part and parcel of the game.

Spanners on here called Gakpo a flop 20 minutes into the first half of his first game, that is wormbrain behaviour.

I don't expect Mac Allister to play in every game, there will obviously need to be rotation, as there should be for every outfield position. The thing with Thiago is that he can't even be relied upon to be a back up as he's likely to be unavailable. Thaigo ( along with Keita and Ox) is part of the reason both Henderson and Fabinho had to play so often even when completely out of form as there wasn't anyone else available.

Availability in a player is so seriously undervalued, but, most of the recent elite world class players like Salah, Messi, Ronaldo, Benzema etc tend not to miss that many matches. As we all should know, having too many injury prone players leads to other squad members getting injuries as it limits squad rotation and leads to player fatigue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Done deal, I just hope Brighton don't call the police .

35m ha, What the hell, and you just know before the windows closes we'll move on deadwood for more, but are we tired of this net zero bull, we wear that zero badge proudly, but who is it benefiting, the owners!...........not the fans, manager or club.

Kelleher out 25m

Matip out 15m

Phillips out 3m

Carvalho out 20m

Jones out 20m

Thiago out 15m

Williams out 5m

We'd not miss a single one, while making over 100m

Both Thaigo and Matip are 32 with 12 months left on their contracts, there's not a snowdrops chance in hell we're getting 15m for each of them! Thiago won't be going anywhere either, he's on 200k a week and will run down his contract and get himself a nice free transfer swansong move next summer. Klopp is a massive fan of Jones so he won't be moved on either, and it will be a loan move for Carvalho if anything. The only players on that list that could be potentially moved on for any money are Kelleher, Phillips, Matip and Williams and if we got 35m in total for the lot we would be doing well!

Jones is worth keeping around, but, I'd agree we wouldn't really miss any of the rest, unlikely that Thaigo will move on as his wage would be a massive stumbling block for any potential move and can sign another fat contract next summer for some other sucker club, possibly in the middle east. We do need to sign a CB, once we do, Matip, Phillips and Williams could all go. Carvalho will go out on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If anything Brighton has fleeced us as his contract was due to run out this summer before he signed a new in October last year. You suspect the player and club came to an agreement where he would sign the extension and they would allow him to leave for a small fee. The alternative was losing him for nothing and he wanted to repay them for what they did for him. Worked out well I would think, Brighton get £35m for him, he gets his transfer and we look like we get a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Arsenal signed ramsdale for €28 million and Southampton signed bazunu for €14 million. Bazunu had played 80 professional games at that stage. Lucky to get €14 for him after some poor performances this season and klopp doesn't want to be bothered with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

West Ham Liverpool final in Dublin would be some event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

At first I misread that as an AI Alex Song.

That would’ve been pretty cool, if not absurdly random.

We have been very fortunate that Salah hasn't had a major injury keep him out of the team. The shoulder injury in 2018 was during the last game of the season and in 2019 the issue with his ankle kept him out of the squad for only one game but it was obvious when he played that he was in some discomfort.

One criticism I have of Klopp is his failure to use the panel of midfield players when they were available. In the past rotation has been done out of necessity instead of as a means to maintain the levels of the first choice players. In 2021/22, Oxlade-Chamberlain was used as a substitute up to and during the January transfer window. He was strongly linked with a move to West Ham at the end of the transfer window but it didn't happen. In the first half of the season, he had filled in as a substitute for Keita, Thiago, Milner, Henderson, Jota and Salah, but for whatever reason his services weren't utilised afterwards. The midfield rotation became Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita and Milner. It was only when they began to burn out that Jones made a couple of appearances and Elliott also got a start but Oxlade-Chamberlain sat out games even though he wasn't injured. By the time Klopp had introduced the young players to relieve the load on Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago it was too late.

Lessons may have been learned but the parallels between the 2020/21 and 2022/23 seasons give me pause for thought. When the pressure is on Klopp falls back to his old habits and using a small group of players instead of properly rotating those that are available is an example of that. It would be awesome to see him consistently utilise a panel of 6/7 midfielders for the entire season but I don't think it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Getting abuse this morning about a quote from Alexis stating he turned down united cos he's not ready for the CL.

I assumed it was fake

I'm curious as to what Gomez has done to retain his place in the squad given the scale of your clear out.

Agreed.

If homegrown wasn't a thing, and we had to lose one CB to gain another, it would be Gomez for me.

Matip can, although not last season, be a class operator that fits our system when fit.

The reports in Argentina said that he turned down ten Hag after hearing the role he would be expected to play - he doesn't want to play as a #6. Klopp very much wants him to play in the opposition's half close to the forward line but have some more defensive responsibility also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

it is fake, Benchwarmers is the source 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️, he never said that. he's not mentally ready for the champions league yet played in a world cup final. yeah sound. he never rejected Man Utd, they were never interested in him. click bait at its highest form

I agree with you regarding the poor rotation, even when players were available, Klopp tends not to use them, even for the last 10/15 mins of games, yet still holds on to players that he has no intention of using. Ox to be fair was available more often than Keita and Thiago, but rarely used by Klopp, and basically ignored once Salah, Mane and Keita came back from Afcon last year, not even being utilized to come on for the last 10 mins of games, hard to expect any player to perform when the manager clearly has no faith in them.

• Advertisement

The chap played in a world cup final, I'd say he's plenty confident in his ability to perform at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its good to know that season was unacceptable from the management and we are not waiting around on the rebuild.

Dunno how they get away with a fake quote like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jay Spearing played in the Champions League.

I think Alexis will manage somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think Ox, Naby, Firmino, and Milner all freeing up salary is a huge part of the suggested crowd of new signings too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oh I know I'm more commenting on the speed of this signing, there has been talk he was coming for a month or so.

• Advertisement

Khephren Thuram, deal close, apparently

I think that the primary issue with signing Thuram is that PSG have shown interest in him. Agreeing terms with him was never likely to be an issue, but agreeing a fee with OGC Nice could be a stumbling block if PSG's interest is genuine.

PSG have signed Urgate already. How are they for funds that the Qataris are moving on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement