Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Pride Month *Mod Warning In Post #62*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

proud to be happy I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A month is too long, but enjoy it while it's still a thing!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes indeed, June is Pride month, as it has been since the 1969 Stonewall riots in New York started the modern LGBT rights movement. 👍👍🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Happy 2023 Pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Smartphone 1

A month day too long. What's wrong with a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Well that all looks a bit gay...

and on a serious note, a group of scantily clad women promoting an event would be pretty much frowned upon by mainstream today so why is this such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure I can do the whole month, might dip in the middle a bit.

All very positive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Yawn...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just a little reminder to the homophobes who always seem to crawl out of the woodwork when a LGBT thread appears, and one about Pride especially...

A concerning rise in homophobic attacks - including the barbaric hate crime murders of two gay men in Sligo last year and the serious assault on a 15 year old schoolboy in Navan last month - mean that Pride is more relevant today than ever. Homophobic hatred has no place in a civilised society.

Pride is also celebrated to not just to mark how far LGBT rights have advanced here - but also in solidarity with LGBT people oppressed around the world in benighted regimes such as Uganda, Iran and Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every company: rainbow flags and 'happy pride month'*

*but not for our Middle Eastern customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My friend and her partner celebrated Pride Month by getting matching tattoos of each other’s left boob tattooed on themselves , Happy Pride Month girls.

• Advertisement

🏳️‍🌈 Happy Pride Month! 🏳️‍🌈

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I’m a little unclear, are the tattoos boobs ?, if so , where did they tattoo the boobs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I never understood the grouping of LGB with T. I mean, the G part loves the D but the T part wants to chop the D off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't think that other boardsies who have 'crawled out of the woodwork' are the problem. These posters are probably just bored people with Pride-fatigue.

It seems to me there is an unstated contradiction in that the same principle of tolerance which liberates homosexuality is used to justify bringing in outsiders en masse from some of least tolerant (of homosexuals) places in the world. We declare everyone the same don't think to ask about cultural compatibility. We are totally indiscriminate.

I don't think that simply intensifying the 'celebration' of LGBT and waving bigger and more rainbow flags at people even begins to address this underlying cultural mismatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Fun 5K run event, Phoenix Park, Friday, June 16th 2023, 7.30pm

https://www.priderun.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What bigot decided that it should be a month, need to take a really close look at the self loathing committee behind it and those in Dublin corporation who went along with thinking it's ok to corral the gay community for the other 11 months.

No pasaran.

Blame corporate America, they had decided to allocate June as the Pride Month. It was a quiet month, now they have some merch to shift before the July 4th craze. But you are right, we should not be blindly copying the USA! I hope you get elected as a mayor of Dublin someday so that you can declare all months of the year Pride months 🏳️‍🌈

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There are still people out there who think it is better for them to be dead than come out gay, this month is for them. Corporate may try hijack it but so what.

I'm not against it, go for gold. But I reckon it will become a victim of all the other prides and pushes for equality that isn't equal. As growleaves said above, it's just pride after pride after pride, and it's all getting lost in a sea of rainbows for most people to whom it doesn't affect. A month is too long for anything. That's why I reckon it won't last, it'll be a side victim to everyone else getting sick of everything else being pushed for corporate agendas. But work away all the same. Won't affect me. It'll be back to a week, which imo would have far more impact than a pronlonged month long one.

Thorough nonsense.

Pride has been around for half a century. The current generation, Gen Z, are the most pro-pride generation in history.

If you think Pride month will fall away, you're away with the fairies - it's getting stronger.

You keep pretending to be objective though.

Even in the culture war battlefields of the USA and UK, the majority of people are pro-pride and I'm glad to say, most Irish are too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Also for customers south of the mason-dixie line now apparently. Anheuser-Busch are getting a right kicking on the markets, after the conservative loopers over in the states lost their ****, when they used a trans am influencer in a Bud light pride promotion. Light Beer is now gay, lol.

🙈🙉🙊

Modelo sales have replaced Bud Light sales.

Both owned owned by A-B.

It’s about grouping minorities under a political umbrella , it’s actually deeply presumptuous to label a gay person “ LGBTQ “ , plenty of gay people aren’t left wing progressives where as LGBTQ is resolutely a progressive moniker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Pride month is now just another bunch of corporate bullshit, that is what it means for most people.

They put up the rainbow flags on twitter pages, all over offices, have events etc except in the countries where it is most needed where they decide to not say anything about Pride Month.

If it actually had any real meaning companies would be emphasizing Pride Month more in countries where gay people are actively being discriminated against to a massive degree but of course they don't.

Having a whole month of it sort of reduces it's effectiveness anyway as people have a degree of fatigue about it and just ignore it becasue it goes on for so long now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A month is a bit of a weird and unnecessary elongated time grab for it let’s be honest. Don’t get that.

I think they could get far more out of it by having pride week…. Whereby it’s a shorter more truncated and impactful shindig.

that said if you are into it, enjoy the festivities..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

It's akin to black history month seems black history is not American history. Same with Pride. As pointed out they don't do it where the bottom line will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't know who any actual gay people who 'celebrate' the month in any way beyond pride parade day int heir city. It's very much an american import and creation and regarding public opinion potentially reversing because the month is greedy and excessive in length and it's 'too much in their face' , the opposite is occurring consistently with each year. The number of americans supporting gay marriage rose from 67% in 2019 to 73% in 2023 based on recent gallup polls.

On a secondary note Americans also receive many migrants from many south american nations which are not particularly open minded (but perhaps less authoritarian on the matter than our neighbours in the near east) and still societal opinion continues to trend supportive. Integration and assimilation do seem to influence conservative views on homosexuality and in Europe the quality of integration is overall better which will help even more. It's not an insurmountable obstacle.

See, this is why one can't even discuss things when it comes to LGBT+. I give an opinion, and it's met with accusations of mental health issues and lying. And I'm the one in the wrong. This is why people are getting sick of it. Those involved in the community wouldn't hear that though.

• Advertisement

I simply called out your bollocks.

You are more than free to refute anything I've said. Boards.ie hasn't denied you the chance to reply...

Please, dispute my point, I love arguing...

Nah, couldn't be arsed. I'm not a fan of arguing, but I don't mind debating. Won't get the latter here. So maybe if people don't like other discussing the Pride Month itself and only want happy words and thoughts, then the thread title should be updated to reflect that. Until then, it's a discussion on a discussion board. I gave my opinion, you implied I was a liar and I'm insuating I'm anti-pride even though I implied nothing of the sort. So your reply makes me think you've already labelled me as something I'm not, so I'm not bothered to discuss it anymore with you. Good day.

You're going to have to accept that not all gay people have the same opinion on Pride.

I'm gay, and I know of very few gay people who agree with its current manifestation (i.e. duration of length, the corporate hypocrisy, the feeling of pressuring society into accepting it in their faces, non-stop, with flags here, there, and everywhere).

Sometimes I ask myself, "if I were straight, how would I react to this?".

Honestly, it would come across to me as a bit too much. I think most decent people in the country support gay rights and equality and a live and let live approach. But the point of becoming equal to everyone else was that we would become as boring as everyone else - we fade into the population as equals. What's happened since marriage equality is the exact opposite - an alarming amplification of the noise. The self-absorbed narcissists have taken over, who think their sexual identity is the be all and end all, and everyone must know about it to show how special they are in society. And that means you end up alienating many of those people who supported marriage equality and gay rights.

It stops becoming, "We want to be equal and here's why" to then becoming a very loud, and often passive aggressive, "You must accept us". It's almost a complete reversal in power shift relations, and not a good one at that. It's a borderline threat, where people otherwise supportive of gay rights may be accused of homophobia for expressing legitimate opinions on Pride that many gay people, myself included, happen to hold.

Yes - we should have Pride.

But the way things are currently playing out, it will only have a net negative effect going forward.

The whole pride thing has been hyper aggressively shoehorned into the broader progressive agenda , no wonder some ( maybe plenty ) gay people feel pressured to get in line like a good soldier in the identity politics mission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

who agree with its current manifestation (i.e. duration of length, ......... the feeling of pressuring society into accepting it in their faces, non-stop, with flags here, there, and everywhere).

I'm going to reuse this quote in the weeks leading up to the 12th of July

Flegs...............

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my preferred reaction to 'why is there no parade for straight people?' is a simple, 'well, if it's important to you, start one. it's a free country.'

usually works.

• Advertisement

What bugs me about that comment on social media, "Where is the straight Pride parade?", is that the people who say it think they're the smartest person in the room, as if it was never said before.

It's the kind of reason I stopped reading the comments section on social media.

This is all such internet specific view on it. As I posted recently, support of gay marriage in the USA grew several percentage points over just the last 5 years. So nobody in any large numbers are being alienated or reversing their support as you so sensationally claim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm straight, and it's not a topic i've a lot of knowledge of, but i assume a lot of it is to do with the movement having been corporatised now that it's 'safe', and multinationals are all over it like a rash.

You've misunderstood my post.

I didn't say that there'll be a reversal in support for gay marriage.

Support for gay marriage can remain constant, or even grow, whilst its supporters grow increasingly tired of the way Pride itself plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We have a straight pride weekend - March 17th.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

That's such a reach. The criticism you see online is not limited to pride, it just get's louder during pride. How much anti trans propaganda have we heard this year long before pride began.

And if supporters were growing tired of how members of the lgbt community was conducting itself, surely this would not result in increased societal support for their rights. Of course it's possible, but it doesn't support your argument as it's more unlikely than likely.

I think JupiterKid's previous post nicely sums up the matter of straight pride.

Part of the reason why I and others have turned off Pride is because it represents both gay and straight people.

L - Lesbian

G - Gay

B - Bisexual

Now, when we advance through the acronym we find that you can be either straight or gay:

T - Transgender (you can be straight or gay, as it's not a sexuality)

Q - Queer / Questioning (you can be straight and identify as queer)

I - Intersex (you can be straight or gay)

A - Asexual (in which case it has nothing to do with gay or straight)

In other words, Pride is now about celebrating certain straight people just as much as it's about celebrating gay people. It has stopped being about gay rights and Gay Pride. Now it's just called "Pride" and includes straight people.

People are perfectly entitled to celebrate that, but it's not something that appeals to me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Tedious performative, drawn out wokery, utterly hijacked by the extremes of the trans-cult. Workplace cringe with the dial set to excruciating.

Nice colours and corporations seem to like it mind.

mod

warning - uncivil

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

.... won't some plase think of the children - yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before.

Straight people can contribute to pride month and be allies of the community, you know?

Wait, let me get this straight. (No pun intended).

You've "gone off" Pride because it has evolved beyond LGB and become more inclusive?

yeah, i did a double take on that too. i assumed it had broadened to include groups who were discriminated against because their sexuality or sexual identity was not 'normal'

I support the choice of rapidash_2023 to not participate in Pride for whatever reason. It is their personal decision about what parades/events are attractive to them.

And that's fair enough. Though I never said or implied anyone has to particpate in Pride if they did not want to. No argument there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement