Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It's rare for me, 22 m3. Seems to happen more on bends on the road or for shadows under a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Some of the times, it's quite disconcerting. Doing 101 on a national road, no traffic and the car suddenly slows. I can usually catch it by the 90kph mark, not sure how low it would go. So it's not like it suddenly throws out the anchor. Other times, it's unsure and will ease off to 97/98. Those times I let it sort itself out. Shadows on the road would be the main, but not only cause.

The auto wipers on cruise control would be a much bigger gripe of mine. I now wash the windscreen in front of the cameras before every trip and carry an emergency bottle of water and sponge in the car with me just for that. Otherwise the wipers would happily dry wipe for km after km. I'm sure that auto lights will p1ss me off equally in the winter time. Don't get me started on the auto distance keeping and reducing the cruise control speed without my express permission. I prefer to drive a car than have it drive me. So I'd much prefer dumb cruise control, set a speed and I'll look after the rest, instead of "car knows best".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am the same, rarely happens. I have had phantom slowing up a few times, a place it happens is on a regular route. But it is not aggressive, similar to slowing up at a speed sign.

I get more phantom 'following a turning lane' (Normally on a bend). But I can anticipate these at this stage.

2022 Model 3

Post edited by eagerv on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I have my foot on the accelerator to correct a phantom break. Works out nicely most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

Rare enough in my experience too, phantom braking or dry-wiping maybe once or twice since collecting in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Well, yes. HW4 is newer and has better cameras and a faster processor. Later is nearly always better in technology, just a fact

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This, bends, shadows on hills/bridges and bright sunlight

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I was worried that HW4 would come with a refreshed Model Y that doesn't have an indicator stalk. I'd like better cameras, but I need indicators to work properly on roundabouts.

No indicator stalks!? Back to using the oul hand signals again, eh? 😂

But seriously yeah that would be madness.

There will be a refreshed MY at some point, probably when the M3 Project Highland is done. I'd imagine that would still be on HW4 then too.

Question is, what else would be in the new version? Nose camera and/or USS for a working parking system, for example?

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Wife was out shopping the other day and some charmer Keyed the front of it ( three month old Y )

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

a bizarre list of things to have to hold your nose for, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

I think many would understand (and appreciate) why the car slows when approaching a vehicle (within a range distance that is defined by the user) when cruise control functionality is enabled. Surely thats a positive feature.....🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭lau1247

I find that the following causes the car to phantom brake in my experience.

• Car coming from the opposite side is a little close to the center line (and especially at bend)
    • Bright sunlight (especially directly from the front)
    • Car coming from opposite side that has flashing light (My example one morning was a Crane Truck coming from opposite side)
    • If car on opposite side is turning and crossing over your lane (This one in theory you can anticipate by keeping foot on accelerator but often forgot to do it)
    • It will get confused for a brief moment if the lane divide to two but that I can anticipate for by keeping foot on accelerator to avoid the slow down)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Ah jaysus, really? Is it because it's a new car? Do people target new regs often?

Some people are real a**holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

"Well done" somebody. I hope the sentry was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

If anyone in the Wexford area is looking for Model Y bits and pieces I've put some in the For Sale thread there and also on adverts.ie.

Save waiting for stuff from China and wondering re customs charges. if you need mats, wheel covers and a few other bits and pieces, all new or as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I was more referring to the phantom braking and auto wipers really, although the elastic-banding in traffic on the cruise control is very jerky according to my dad (he says his old a6 was pretty seamless).

the phantom braking is something I’ve only experienced once in his Tesla and it really scared the bejesus out of me. Heading out the n7 by naas/kerryfoods, on a summer evening - no doubts why it happened of course. We all know why.

It was a genuinely massive turnoff for me.

A safety system should not become inherently unsafe every few weeks.

Also, if you’re going to tell us you’re 10years ahead of the competition, having the auto wipers work as well as a 20 year old ford focus is a pretty low bar in fairness.

We all know what the fixes to both are, but they require a man to swallow his pride.

Software can only operate on the data collected by the hardware though. If you've no sensor you can't extract data out of thin air. You CAN use machine learning techniques to give a probabilistic outcome but these are not as accurate as the real life scenario.

As is intimated here in other comments, the problem here (and still with the current iteration of both HW3 and HW4) is that because of Musks pride/ego, they removed important sensors needed for accurate results. Phantom breaking is reportedly worse since the removal of the USS, Tesla Vision is a step back also, I seriously doubt that an original MS on AP1 will be able to handle FSD if it ever arrives.

Yes the cost reduced, but we all know that the margins are very healthy in MY and M3 and to me they went a bit too far in their cost savings. I wouldn't be surprised if they added back the USS or added a nose camera soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Fair enough, a Model Y isn't for you @ModelWhy

Anything else grab your fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

In fairness I agree with what @ModelWhy said, he's not wrong. I'm still picking up a model Y shortly.

Bang for buck it's still the best proposition.

Hmm... Bang for buck... Maybe. Then again the competition is/has caught up a lot. Interesting times ahead.

And I've sell a MY on order but was supposed to get one in March, then April. Then May. Now end of June and I'm away then so can't collect and Tesla are saying "pick up in June or we give it to someone else".

I ordered in January. I've seen others order the same car spec much later and getting it delivered much quicker than mine.

I'm very upset with them... But I'll probably still get one....eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

That sucks. Had mine a week and some moron decided to park on top on me and dinged my door. Got him on the camera and got his registration. So have it sorted now. He is paying.

Some people are just assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Quick one, any thoughts on the PCP deal Tesla advertise.

I was going to fund with a credit union loan but the idea of a balloon to reduce monthly payments sits well me with the tracker mortgage having gone through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

I can certainly understand your disappointment however, you can let your experience(s) continue to annoy/upset you and the only one impacted will be yourself.

The reality is that you have been offered a car with a delivery date but (regardless of logistical challenges around pickup) you seem to be in two minds as to whether you wish to wait for a refresh model with HW4 etc. When you distill this down this is a decision that only you can make but you will most likely feel better when you make the decision.

Tesla cars are always changing and if you do wait until HW4 is available the next dillema will be whether you want to wait for the refresh version of Model Y ...and so it continues. What I am really saying is do your best to make a decision and then you can move forward whatever decision that is. Remind yourself also as to what attracted you to the car to begin with and FWIW I definitely think there is nobody who can come close to comparable value (15K less than a year ago).

Best of luck with whatever you decide

You sound like my missus! 😂

But you are right. Logistically I can't get it now unless Tesla find a cancellation of a same spec so I'm hopeful given that white/black are popular. Even if I have to wait until next quarter, yes it'll cost €1500 more because of the grant but at least it'll have a newer reg and I should get that back (or most of it) on the other side when I sell it at some point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I personally don’t think a 232 will be worth anymore than a 231 in 3 or 5 years time, or anytime for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

This is the most logical answer if you actually want one. It’s not like you’ll really miss out on the well documented experience of collecting a dusty/dirty new car from the yard in NVD.

Advertisement