Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Very overcast and chilly Dublin 16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Recovered from my trip to Spain at last, where it seemed we were in a blue sky bubble! Had a trio south and north and both times got cloudy and wet, back to our location, and blue skies all day! Plenty of mosquitos around though 🤮

Weather this morning in Cork is hazy sunshine, about 17 degrees so not too shabby! Grass verges are starting to yellow, but loving this long spell of weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Had to put the heat on this morning in the house, my dad was complaining of the cold as the house has become chilly again with no warmth over the past few days. This chilly easterly setup cannot go away fast enough at this stage. Very cool this morning, currently only 11C, a normal temperature for this time of the morning in the middle of December, not June.

The good news is this easterly is on it's way out and by Sunday we will be in a much warmer southerly setup.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

MT saying it could return at end of next week. Hope he’s wrong. I’m sick of the cold, raw days here in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yep seen that on this mornings models and will crossing fingers that the return of the easterly will be a complete and utter bust. We've had about 3 weeks of it by now, although in fairness there was 2 or 3 warm days over the past 3 weeks. I didn't mind it too much up until the bank holiday weekend as it was mostly sunny but this week has been fairly crap mostly cloudy, windy and chilly. I would take a flat westerly over this but the good news is that there a significant warm up on the way which should last at least 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

Of course this would never happen in Dec, Jan or Feb when us coldies want it most 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Dreadful in Dublin again alright. Cloudy, breezy and 12c.

The easterly wind was absolutely fine any days the sun was out, faux heat and all that. No complaints. Even last week during the cloudy days, we had some heating in the earlier portion of the day to get us up towards 16c before the cloud came in. Yesterday and today with cloud cover very early on we got really screwed. Kind of like what parts of the UK was getting last week with 12-14c persisting the full day.

Glancing at the models, a brief slack pattern that will help us temperature wise here but questionable if it will have much sun, could be July '22 again with a lot of dull warmth about. So careful what one wishes for. All I see is some sort of easterly winds returning thereafter. These will slowly warm up as June progresses and when the winds are light, the worst of the temperatures will stay close to the coast. But if you are chasing warmth, inland and west again looks like excelling for much of the month to come.

What's the warmest June (average temp) on record for western parts? Some of the stations are absolutely smashing the LTA and there really is no let up in sight, and this is before we start getting more humid warm nights which will further boost any record chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Dunno. Personally will take an easterly any day over a westerly in summer months. Ideally prevailing winds between south and east.

Westerly can only mean zonal conditions with Ireland being hit by fronts, cloud, rain - while warm arm wafts into central and SE England. The default pattern. And one I don't like!

The main issue with the recent high pressure is that it didn't extend much to the east of us and allowed for the NE flow to come round it over the North Sea. If it had have been wider and extended further east of us, then no doubt overall it would have been a warmer setup for all with more of a straight / continental easterly.

Here on the eastern half of NI this spell has been pretty decent overall for early summer. It's only really gone down hill a bit the past two days when the cloud has persisted to mid afternoon. And the breeze has picked up. Before that it was high teens / low twenties and clear skies ever since we got back from Dubai just under two weeks ago. Didn't really appreciate it fully when we first got back from Dubai given it was 43c during the day and above 30c overnight there!

Personally, I'm hoping that the weekend doesn't become too cloudy / cloud cover and we get some warm and humid weather followed by the high re-establishing itself with a more easterly / SE flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Beautiful out west again

1pm

Shannon 23 degrees

Mace head 22 degrees

Moore Park 22 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sun has broken through after a cloudy morning. Nice breeze and mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Scorchio day #? in Galway. Feels like an oven, grass is gone the colour of hay

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Who needs Spain when we can all go out west. That's a cold strong east wind blowing for us in the east. With Oscar coming up from the south squeezing the pressure gradient it's a bit like summers version of storm Emma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy in cork city, mild but windy. Wasn't expecting the wind, its fairly strong too with cork airport reading about 21kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Galway is the place to be; literally felt like Spain when I visited there during the Bank holiday weekend; such a contrast to the utter crap we've had here in North Dublin since Monday.

just looking at the met Eireann data and the difference between Dublin/Meath stations and western ones is enormous in terms of temperature anomalies for the first week of June. Some Dublin stations are currently running close to 3C below average for the time of year while some in the west are around 4C above average for the time of the year with many of them at least 3C above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Hook it to my veins 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I might not be popular with some folks ,but I am hoping for a return of the cooler nights as soon as possible. I was never a huge fan of heat and humidity but in recent years even less so as my body seems to be less intolerance of it. Maybe it's just to do with being older. I remember the days I could easily Climb Croagh Patrick with temperatures in the high 20s. I would not be able for it these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I stopped counting, it's just day after day of good dry weather in the west. I think people are becoming exhausted trying to make the most of it. We probably thought it would be a short lived event.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’m easy either way as long as the days are warm/sunny that’s all that matters IMO. Cooler nights are better though in regard to the elderly , those with health issues during hot weather. If it’s hot during the day with little relief at night it puts more of a burden on those groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

I've noticed even during the good weather that once you get outside the city that there was a rotten gusty breeze/wind every bit as bad as during the winter and it's rotten to jog in. Filthy cloud cover too, summer over already for the city I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

I got a portable air conditioning unit several years ago, from Lidl, I think. It's great yoke if you prefer a cool sleeping area. The hot air is simply vented out the window and cold air is pumped into the bedroom. Would highly recommend it if you like it cool in the bedroom at night.

Then you have the benefit of being able to sit outside in comfort until very late in the evening and still be able to go to bed in a cool bedroom. It's a win-win situation.

I'll put the shorts away until next summer so.

Two cloudy days after three weeks of super weather in Cork and you manage to make it sound like we've just been through some ordeal 😂

It's a warm wind thankfully. Yesterday was a shock to the system after what came before it!

Quite windy today in Meath too, leaves down on the garden, feeling very autumnal today, just turned the heating back on for half an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

hazy sun,Warm and balmy with a soft blustery wind, west Mayo.

27 now being forecast for here on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

I see sensationalist posts popping up on Facebook from 'Weather Alerts Ireland' is that another Cathal Nolan page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

About 50 drops of rain here in Beara. Cloudy all day.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

That sounds like a brilliant yoke. I fully agree with that poster about sticky nights. For all my love of heat I need a cool bedroom to be able to sleep. Which is why I love Spain because there's air conditioning. One of the great things about this recent heatwave [Kerry] has been the low humidity and cool nights. I'm of to Spain on Sunday for two weeks so guaranteed my air con. But I'd be hugely interested in that unit you got from Lidl as there could be many hot nights here at home before the summer is over, hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

I'd imagine the leaves falling are due to lack of rain.

Advertisement