Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallagher Premiership 2022-2023 Season

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭PMC83

Exactly. Its negging for absolutely no reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm sure the IRFU and RFU are never not in some kind of open discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Or Journalist creating a story that doesn’t exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

As bad as the turmoil in english rugby is for the club game in Europe the crumbling foundations of their domestic league will have a significant knock on to the national team for some time. They need to rip off the plaster and do so quickly for the sake of the national team, they need to change structures and take ownership of the game.

We are very successful here at this point in Irish rugby because our success is built on the solid foundations of a wide and well funded funnel where schools feed academies which feed the provinces and ultimately the national team, with most people reading from the one playbook, the money and pathways are well managed and players for the most part strike the right balance between play and rest. We have back to back successful underage campaigns that will bring through players.

The english teams are losing those structures and its already telling with the national team. The have had very little talent come through and now some of the talent is going abroad to get paid so the national teams control and time is curtailed significantly.

It might take a disastrous world cup to wake them up, but a characteristic of the english is an inability to accept humility.

I cant see how the RFU can play their way out of this on the pitch or off it and frankly im not upset by their bleak prospects. They are only a few seasons away from being what welsh rugby is currently, and the welsh might not have hit rock bottom yet either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you think the collapse of English and Welsh rugby won't have a disastrous knock-on effect on us you might be in for a land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Professional rugby in England won't survive in it's present format. The owners are not like the soccer team owners, billionaires and can't absorb the losses financially. The product is not great and perhaps the RFU itself should be redrawn. Currently the blazers haven't a clue as to what to do.

I feel bad for the players, employees and the supporters, I'm chuffed for the pundits and their stiff upper 💋, toffee nosed fcukers. Particularly Jones! He's a meat missile.

Wales probably have a region too many. There's not enough quality to supply 4 sides.

It's bad for the game itself! Australia is not on firm ground either? I reckon the IRFU are the standard bearers for good management.

England have lost so much, now there's less academy prospects, less games and less punters and the sponsors want a rebate. They won't do nothing at the world cup, imo.

Maybe the answer is to merge some teams? Get the union to pony up on central contracts? It's a shame. Shambolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What do you mean by RFU should be redrawn?

Merging teams isnt likely. Quite hard for RFU to put in central contracts.. that isnt going to happen.

I think some of the clubs' attitude to central contracts has softened significantly in recent times. Mark McCall has spoken out in favour of it a few times now. As it stands, the English clubs pay a fortune to their international players, but still lose access to them for a big chunk of their season.

Given the financial difficulties they have at a club level, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see people see this as a potential solution to alleviate some of the clubs' cost pressure in the near future.

The current admin. for English rugby is not serving the sport well. It needs upheaval. All the blazers should be shown the door, my opinion only and business professionals should be bought in to save a sinking ship.

Again just my opinion.

It probably has softened but its still unlikely when RFU dont have a stake in any of the clubs.

And who replaces them. you cant just put out throw everyone out. theyre **** or whatever and offer any alternatives. Business professionals like who. business professionals from what fields?

• Advertisement

It is possible. The sponsors need a viable product and it's understandable that they are unhappy.

A salary cap of 5 to 6 million is not that much. The gate receipts must be very, very poor. Factor in the advertising at the stadiums and really it's mind-boggling that they can't make it work.

Then they sign foreign players for outrageous salaries, compared to an English player. Russell, Piatau spring to mind. There's other's too.

Now, we see players leaving. But they all can't go as France have a limit on foreign players. A catastrophe for sure. Maybe rebranding? For instance, Sale become Mancester? Quinn become London etc. Make it parochial.

I don't know? But, something smells like scutter at the RFU Do you agree? Or is it worth continuing this insane road of incompetence.

Gate receipts simply dont make that much and its tv, commercial income that make the money

Salary cap of 5-6 million is more than enough considering the issues with many clubs.

Is it really mind boggling that clubs are struggling.

France dont have a limit on foreign players. theyve a limit on players who didnt spend at least 3 years before they turned 21.

Harlequins cant bcome london. You will always have and need to have multiple sides in London. beyond that they do need to look at county/regional sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

You put these things out then when questioned you just go i dont know.

its very difficult to see any complete change. RFU cant afford to prop up many of these clubs. theyre already cutting spending on domestic game and development officers etc. they cant not spend on that and then spend millions on creating pro teams to compete at prem level etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There's 2 areas that have to be addressed. The league needs to be a closed shop. Relegation is too financially destructive, for teams to be able to plan and build a sustainable budget.

Player wages have to be slashed. It's ****, because they deserve to maximize their earnings, given the brutal toll on their bodies. The French market has driven the unsustainable wage inflation. In some respects the HC has played into this, with teams blowing up the market to compete. It has to be curbed.

Put in stricter rules around finances though its hard to know exactly how things are now unless you deep dive into annual financial reports and who can do that.

The salary cap has to be reduced and monitoring of that has to be far stricter.

The Molecast from last week covers this topic quite well, but they make the point the RFU had pre-Covid revenues of £213m, so they do have substantial financial wherewithal but there are serious questions about what they do with that money.

The professional game in England has evolved in a bizarre and unsustainable way where the highest level of domestic rugby is utterly disconnected from the RFU.

It does look there will need to be some level of financial intervention at a governmental/RFU level in the coming years, because it cannot continue as currently structured.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. Though the damage done already is a tough pill to swallow. Retaining top end players would be difficult. It's not easy to fix! I hope they do fix it for the good of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Conor O'Shea is effectively the David Nucifora of the RFU

he formerly MD/Director of Rugby/Player of London Irish.

Who may well one day become the Performance Director of the IRFU

RFU are desperate. I dont know what they are talking about exactly but you could join the dots....think PIF and PGA

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/conor-oshea-joins-rfu-as-director-of-performance-rugby

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/about-premiership-rugby/about-us/faqs/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You could join the dots whatever way you want. The statement from the IRFU is fairly unambiguous though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im sure it has and is having a negative effect on the club game which is not good, the European competition needs strong english sides and the league needs competitive welsh teams but ive little concern about the knock on effect it is having on their national sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A blended club structure needs to be looked at where private investors are involved but the RFU owns a minimum stake in each club, has a seat on the boards and generally has oversight over club operations. There has clearly been a lot of dealing going on under the table at clubs and with RFU either unaware or turning a blind eye.

Central contracts could be a way of allowing the RFU to buy into the clubs, i.e. instead of handing over money, they take over part of the clubs expenses. A level of fan ownership should be considered as a way of engaging the fanbase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Not Premiership, but Jersey Reds have announced that they've ceased trading.

• Advertisement

It's the inability to find investors that's the most troubling. The world of corporate finance has seen the books and doesn't like what it has seen. It's damning and I think the entire professional game in England is now in jeopardy if private money doesn't see a viable future in the game there.

If the majority shareholder model is breaking down and they can't get more diversified investors then we're at the tip of the iceberg.

RFU should already be in talks with the Government to secure funding for a reorganisation of the game, but then that's another set of books that's a mismanaged house of cards and the purse strings will be tight unless you need a direct flight to Kigali.

By the next World Cup the rugby landscape could look drastically different. I will be supremely pissed if Ireland finally become the best at something right as the international game breaks down.

Advertisement