Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d say overall Byrne is a better kicker, but think Crowley has improved significantly as the season has gone on.

And I honestly don’t think he struggled with it in the final tho.

• He a brilliant kick from hand to get to 5m prior to the first try, straight after the Stormers intercept try. Huge momentum swing.
    • He had the kick pass (an area that Byrne is particular strong in) for the other try.
    • And he had the conversion for the Hodnett try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Byrne is a very good defender. He's above most 10's. Crowley looks very good too.

I hope Crowley comes good. I really do. He's got the tools to succeed.

Byrne is a competent reserve, imo. He's reliable and experienced and he is a good defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wait, so ROG is dishonest/a troll in interviews?

The same ROG who is lauded, both outside Munster and France, and even outside rugby, for his forthright, no-nonsense interactions with media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That’s all far more interesting than repeating “we don’t see what Farrell sees” to every discussion about selection that comes up.

Ah, is that necessary? Like, when a guy has such a small and uneven track record as Crowley, isn't it perfectly reasonable to state that he'll be picked (or not) based heavily on what the coach sees in training? Why get so stressed about a valid comment?

But let's talk about what Farrell has seen. He's seen all of what you've described.

He's also seen Munster go to the Sharks with Crowley at ten, be absolutely rudderless and get hammered. He saw Munster go back to the same venue a few weeks later and be in deep trouble until Crowley was replaced by Healy and the game turned. He saw Crowley play against Glasgow who had 14 men and no outhalf for 55 minutes - and saw Munster fail to score for 50 of those minutes. He saw Crowley play well against the Leinster second string, I think that will cut less ice than you think.

So even in the run-in alone, there was just as much to suggest that he might not be the solution as to suggest that he is, none of which you brought up. As you're so fond of boring the arse off the rest of us by saying - you can't have it both ways.

And before you bite my head off, and the rest of them come rushing in to pile on me, you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He did also see Byrne and his 9 who also plays for ireland somehow not even be on the same page in a super high pressure situation. They play together all the time and somehow never talked about a situation where they might have to kick a drop goal. Or before the lineout. Or before they kicked down a line. For a guy who isn’t a great athlete, and his point of difference is that he can lead, that’s not leading.

Also, by my count there were more ireland players on that leinster B team than on that Munster team (9-6).

I would also say that putting a on new ten doesn’t mean the other one if failing. If Leinster had of put on Frawley earlier, he would have at least had the boot to attempt that penalty. I’d say his range is longer than Byrne.

Utilizing the bench and trusting your players is good coaching.

Edit; as an aside this is all pretty simple i think. Byrne knows the system and isn’t going to make any egregious mistakes. No one is ever going to worry about him carrying the ball himself. Crowley has elite ten upside but it might be too early for him.

That's all fair re Byrne, but it's also one match.

No one is making any great claims for Byrne to be the next Lions 10, but if the Irish 22 jersey is being decided on proven ability in big matches, Byrne will get the nod and it won't even be close. Crowley needs to hope that he can overtake him in the next two months.

The "system" thing isn't an argument, because Crowley has been in the squad longer. If Byrne can pick it up better in less time, as you suggest, then he's a smarter player and maybe deserves the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d start Byrne but Crowley on the bench if Sexton starts. Crowley can cover three positions at a pinch… and i think i’d rather have him to chase a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Advertisement

Aside from everything else…

He's also seen Munster go to the Sharks with Crowley at ten, be absolutely rudderless and get hammered. 

Which was entirely because of the issues at the breakdown. It’s extremely harsh to see that as a negative on Crowley. 

He saw Munster go back to the same venue a few weeks later and be in deep trouble until Crowley was replaced by Healy and the game turned. 

You have a point here. But it was 22-10 when Crowley went off. A deficit sure, but not insurmountable. 

He saw Crowley play against Glasgow who had 14 men and no outhalf for 55 minutes - and saw Munster fail to score for 50 of those minutes. 

And then Crowley moved to 12. That versatility is part of the reason he’s a better fit for the 12 jersey, imo. 

He saw Crowley play well against the Leinster second string, I think that will cut less ice than you think.

“Play well”. Exactly. Yet you’re using it as a stick to beat him here.

but if the Irish 22 jersey is being decided on proven ability in big matches

Do you think that’s the only thing or should be decided on?

What about form, versatility, make up for the 15 and bench?

“Play well”. Exactly. Yet you’re using it as a stick to beat him here.

NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT. NO, I'M NOT.

You were claiming that his performances in the run-in should mean he gets the 22 jersey. I'm just suggesting that they'll carry less weight with the coaches than you think. As has been widely discussed here, even the Leinster seconds didn't play to their own potential. I'm not using it as a stick to beat Crowley, I'm trying to frame these displays in how i think they might influence Irish selection decisions.

You're deliberately trying to frame me as attacking the Munster player. I'm not. I've gone out of my way to repeat that over and over.

You had a go at me, I explained my perspective in great detail, you could have just let it go or -gasp- admit you were wrong but you had a go at me again.

That's all highly relevant and happy to discuss.

Just a little reminder, it was you who suggested that Crowley should be picked based on performances in the "biggest and most high-pressured games of his career thus far".

That's misreprenting what I said tho. That quote was included in a post which included this.

He plays flatter and offers a stronger running threat than Ross Byrne, he's more versatile enabling Farrell to get a centre into the 23 jersey which we know he likes, and he's brought real direction to Munster's attack.

So be no means was I suggesting we pick Crowley just for his performances in the biggest game.

You were claiming that his performances in the run-in should mean he gets the 22 jersey. I'm just suggesting that they'll carry less weight with the coaches than you think.

You made the exact same arugment with regards Carbery and the Ireland coaches prior to the 6 Nations squad. And the exact same argument with regards Crowley and Carbery at Munster back in April.

It's ok to debate the selections before they happen.

And from what I've seen, and the reasons I've spelled out, I think it should be Crowley in the 22 jersey. Even if Andy Farrell sees more of him than I do.

And another dig at me.

Yeah, I got it wrong on Carbery. Pretty sure we all did. Show me the post where you said back in January that Carbery would be ditched and Ross Byrne would leapfrog everyone into second place.

I'm happy to debate selections. I'd be less inclined to do so if I'll be called out for not being interesting enough, or everything I say being dug up six months later if things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Have you ever watched Byrne play? After Sexton Byrne is by far the best 10 defensively. That’s an incredibly weird post. Please show me a match where Byrne needed to be hidden. Any match.

I presume he's talking about the 6 Nations, where Byrne was noticeably burnt on the outside.

But on this:

After Sexton Byrne is by far the best 10 defensively.

From what we've seen from Crowley, I honestly don't think there's much between them defensively, if at all. (With the pace element, there's a credible argument Crowley is better). But "by far" isn't accurate at all, imo.

Shall we just call a truce, FFF... There's really no intention to have a dig. (Nor "bore the arse" off you).

But only my point with the "Farrell sees more of them" argument is that it is almost is brought up for every selection discussion on here now, not just for players with a smaller sample size like Crowley.

To get back to the actual argument:

What areas do you think Byrne is better? And what areas do you think Crowley is? How how does the relate to how Ireland play overall? Or the balance of the bench selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We have a very small sample size of Crowley playing 10 to measure that on. Yes though, he certainly seems to be no shrinking violet in defense. If anything I would say he needs to temper his physicality at times.

Crowley is the future, I’ve been saying that since the under 20’s. However I don’t think the last 3-4 games is enough to say he’s the finished product yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If Mack Hansen can rock up to Ireland training having only been in the country for a few months, and play himself straight into the starting XV for the 6N, then there's no reason why Jack Crowley can't play his way into the 22 jersey for he RWC. He just needs to back up his recent Munster form in Ireland training and in the warm ups.

Farrell hasn’t been shy of throwing players with a small sample size in tho, as TRC points out.

And I don’t think he needs to be the finished article in time for the RWC to justify selection in the 22 jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think (of course I would 🤣) Crowley is closer to overtaking Byrne than some here give him credit.

I'll certainly be less surprised to see Crowley get the 10 (if Sexton doesn't start) or the 22 if Sexton starts than I was when Byrne got ahead of Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

He's been a very naughty boy according to some quarters. It's great stuff!

The logic is pretty solid tbf.

You've just won a back-to-back European Cup.

You're asked what won you the game.

You're obviously going to lie and say it was the maul because.... reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

The man was clearly trolling. Couldn't be trusting him with the big Cork grin on his face.

The quote from ROG for those interested, talkng about LAR inaccuracies.

How many mauls did we not get the ball back off of, even tho the maul won us the game, because we took Leinster's legs completely, they were drunk after 60 minutes.

Reading between the lines (and I appreciate this is the Ireland thread, so I'll spin it in that direction): There's a style of attacking play employed by both Ireland and Leinster, with a heavy emphasis on forward pods and how they move the point of attack and generate space for the backs. Tire out those forwards with a lot of mauls, and the evidence (from the Heino final) is that forward dynamism greatly reduces, and likewise did Leinster's back play. So even though different reasons have been highlighted for Leinster losing, you can tie them all together, i.e., the reduced passing and poor exits. They can all be traced back to the damage done by the LaR maul. Leinster did really well to stop the maul on most occasions without conceding penalties, but I think that won them battles at the expense of the war. The ensuing fatigue hurt them elsewhere a lot more.

Ireland may have different ways of coping with such an approach, for e.g., we'll definitely compete at lineout.

• Advertisement

You can apply the same thing to the Leinster v Munster game, where the ball in play time was huge. Yes, it wasn't Leinster first choice, but the system was the same, and plaeyrs had been switching in-and-out seamless during the season.

From an Ireland context, I think Beirne, POM and Mack Hansen all would've added something different that could've made a difference.

• POM would've completed at the lineout, brought leadership and possibly would've shown up with one of his big, momentum changing moments.
    • Beirne would've provided a world-class jackal threat (whereas defensively Leinster prefer to keep as many in the line as possible). A well timed jackal may have relieved pressure also. Also a great defensive lineout jumper.
    • And Mack Hansen may have gone looking to get his hands on the ball more frequently. I think he's currently 2nd most important to Ireland in the play-making stakes after Sexton at the moment.

Advertisement