Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

My game has gone to pot. I started 2022 with a handicap index of 3.5, I'm now out to 7.3.

A combination of constant small recurring injuries (lower back and glutes mainly) and no time to practice has taken a lot of the enjoyment out of the game for me at the moment.

I categorize myself as a golf nut, I have been as low as 2 in the past and to be honest, I was through 9 holes yesterday and wondering what the f* I was doing on the course. I have played 10 counting rounds this year and haven't come close to breaking 80.

I came home after the round yesterday feeling sorry for myself, moody, and generally pissed off. Usually after a poor round, there would be a level of acceptance as I knew there was a good one coming but I'll be honest, I can only see myself hitting the hard cap this year.

Whinge over. Attitude adjustment is required.

I can see some retail therapy kicking in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I know how you feel.

I had pretty much the same year last year. Except it’s now just gone June and you have a lot of time left to play. My bad form lasted all the way up till about November. Then I hit a good run of form. **** time to do it, but I did well over winter and got 3 shots cut from handicap sec based on 3 good results, more than I put on in the year so was back to where I should be (more or less) but then I took break and started to play crap again 😂🤣

but what I’m saying is, it’s early days, you are a good golfer and it will come back around for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’m the exact same Seorg, even felt like giving up at one stage. Finished last year on a massive high after shooting several rounds in the 80’s, now this year I can’t break 100 - I even had two 113’s☹️

Had one lesson a few weeks ago with second one tomorrow so hopefully will turn it around

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Seorg, had a similar experience over last 2 to 3 years ...as mad as this sounds, a bit of a break from golf and a few new hobbies actually gave me a new hunger,when I came back .

Took up cycling , a bit of guitar , more reading and some professional development.

I even stopped listening to golf podcasts as I found I was not getting a very rounded experience / knowledge.

When I came back, I had a new desire and hunger and game definitely improved a little.

Might not work for everyone, but will definitely bring a break into my game every year going forward. And an honest break ...not a fake break..

Your a class golfer , that can't go...I do also think embracing what WHS is about is an important step for your game psychology.

Your in bad form , your WHS will reflect that dramatically and you need to kinda embrace WHS or it gets the better of you psychologically..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

Can someone answer this for me. On the golf Ireland app in my record I have a score which is above the line, well over 20 scores recorded, that has a lower score differential listed but is not in green than some of those that are included in my handicap calculation.

any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Unless it will at midnight ..or was deemed non qualifying?

No it’s the 20th score on my record so will be the next to go out

not non qualifying either as it’s from last July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Is it a 9 hole counting round that did not have all 9 holes played ?

No it’s an 18 hole round

• Advertisement

I scratched the first 3 holes of that round alright if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

Shouldn't matter, the system gives you a nett double bogey for scratches (0 points). Is the calculated index for that round much lower than the highest counting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

How quickly after playing does a score get added to your golf Ireland profile? I played a comp Sunday and it's not there yet. Possibly because I left without signing my card, only realised when I got home I'd waved goodbye to the lads I played with and didn't sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

If you enter it into the competition computer it’s usually instant. If it was physical cards only you probably got dq’d.

You would be DQ’d even if you entered it into the computer but unless it was a winning score it probably wouldn’t have been checked and over looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cheers, will be more diligent next time out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Many disqualification offences, including an unsigned card, should still allow a score to count towards a players handicap. So that shouldn't have prevented your score appearing in your handicap record.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Question for the enlightened.

Different differential returns from same score ,over same course ,from the same tees. No PCC adjustment appears to be applied on the round.

In most cases the same index. Some returns are from open singles , but that doesn't show any clarity. Same class of comp but different differentials.

Just scratching to figure out how it can occur without a PCC adjustment , unless its a partial which is allowed but not recommended. Rule 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Has the course rating been changed for the course in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Was there any ESR applied? That would automatically reduce the score differential of all 20 scores on the handicap record. Newer rounds wouldn't have the reduction so the same score would end up with a higher score differential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I feel your pain. I'd a baby boy born last April which meant a total of 0 qualifying rounds played in 2022 for me...I've been back on the course since March and my handicap has gone from 7.2 out to 11.3. I've yet to break 90 and I now have zero confidence on the course, particularly with the driver! Soooo many snap hooks OOB! I had my first lesson in years on Wednesday and I think I addressed some fundamentals, just getting time on the course/range to put it into practice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

I'm in a similar spiral. Started at 12.7 and now out to 16.2 with the soft cap. Practice and range sessions are ok, but too many small mistakes keeping the scores in the 28-32 point range.

Funny thing is the only time recently that the game was on was in Slieve Russell for the Boards outing!

Got a text yesterday that the handicap committee is cutting me by a shot! So clearly, they also think I should be better.

Will check. Not my index.

He did get a congratulary letter on his good golf. That may be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sorry - but I don't understand why they cut you by a shot. On what basis were they justifying it on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’ve dropped 2 decent sores so my handicap has jumped 1.6 in the wrong direction, need to get out of this slump quick. Pity as I was trending downwards nicely, it’s too easy to drop / go up massively with WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

It reflects how you are playing

If you are inconsistent you can get swings of a shot or 2, but won't make much difference to your overall scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think the new system is great. There are lads with handicaps of 35+ who now actually have a chance of winning something.

If 20% of a club are 10 or less and members playing off 10 or less win 20% of competitions, that's perfectly fair.

The only area where I see a problem is with people who are new to golf. They can get a very high handicap for 3 bad cards, but if they are the sporty type they will improve faster than the system will react, especially over the winter.

Our club now requires at least 10 whs submitted rounds to win top prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

yea we have this issue currently in our club, a few lads joined from another club where they were just given 30 handicaps (on an admittedly harder course), but then between covid and the amount of placing this winter, they've improved massively and are cleaning up. I dont hold it against them or anything, its not their fault, but it is a bit open to abuse if someone wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Handicap Committee still has the option to intervene and apply adjustments to individuals who are getting ahead of WHS. We've just had 5 and a half months if non-counting golf which is a long time for individuals to improve their ability and win a lot. Competition Committee also can apply penalties to repeat winners.

Advertisement