Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooley Thriller 2023

Options
  • 16-01-2023 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

12th August

can't link directly to it.

anyways, can't wait.

vidjo from last year which I couldn't make it to..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php/?story_fbid=790139522174995&id=161189807292509

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Bit early to be putting up links for it....the memories of the pain of last year haven't diminished 🤣. Usually around May I start thinking its a good idea again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

what ya moaning about, looks like ya got good weather for it last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is this another Sportive event like the Nire Valley, or is it a bit more serious? I see loads of lycra and no baggy gear which is why I ask

Massive difference between 17km and 52km options too

I've not done the nire but I'd say cooley a bit more serious. in the best xc tradition despite plenty of techy rocky trails yeah pretty much no safety gear. Its a tough 52k, 1300 odd metres climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The Cooley will have the fastest XC riders on the island at the front racing hard,but it also attracts loads of baggy short riders with the 25 litre backpacks, who will make a day out of it,pedal around at their pace and will be 4,5 or even 6 hours out on the course.Its an event that appeals to all,is very well organised and the view of the lough as you crest the last climb is wonderful.

• Advertisement

Yeah the fast guys are at around the 3 hour mark. I nearly got to the 4 hour mark in 2017. Unfortunately in 2018 I had a decent crash and that set me back a bit.

Turns out the climbing more like 1650m

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/uY8WuSwpGwb

Might be another to add to my calender. Cheers lads

Ah I always moan about it, then every year I'm there at the start line 😵

It's a fantastic day out, and I would recommend it for everyone - there's a lot of hardship in it though so get the training in! The long route would be a lot, lot tougher than the short - especially last year when the long one omitted the early road climb and went up the single track to the gap - that was a cruel start, especially for the bigger lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

They allow E-bikes as well so that will take the sting out of all the climbs and you can run bigger tyre/suspension for the descents, makes the event nice and easy and no longer the hardship it used to be...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ha, I fell off my seat laughiung when he turns round deadpan as could be "You could win this if you went faster".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

First two hours at an ave of >160bpm and I was banjaxed for the rest.

They pick the longest, steepest bloody climbs that are deceptively doable looking.

As a chunky lad it's bloody hard. Only event I've ever not completed (about 2008, when it was the marathon champs).

But it's a great, great atmosphere, great trails, great support and such different riding to the Wicklow mountains. The last descent is expressway on steroids and speed, glorious!

I hate it and love it in equal turns. Oh, and the prizes are great, I got one for falling asleep at the finish line.

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Any idea when this is likely to open for entries?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PJ_RS1800

Hopefully entries will be open in the next month or so.

Paperwork being sorted as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Hopefully they'll switch back to original route. That climb at the start last year was horrendous with people walking up and preventing others from cycling past. A very unpopular change to what was a great route beforehand. Really not sure of the organisers reason for that, pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Heard one of the first initial sections was only available at a price, so route was changed to avoid. I’d love to do it this year but not if that first bit isn’t changed (vs last year).

I'd happily go out the road from the start all the way up to the mast to avoid that climb 😂 Sure there wasn't much in the first section the last couple of years, other than fireroad and a very small descent.

Entries open

https://eventmaster.ie/event/rbOWhPmS9y#ticketselector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Is there a Web page anywhere to find out more about it? Facebook page seems outdated and entry page is basic enough

Entries open:

Keep an eye on Cuchulainn Off Road Facebook page for details.

Note there is no ebike section this year.

I can answer any questions here too.

PD

Is the route same as last year then? I've not done it for five years.

• Advertisement

Yes, similar route to last year.

There will be the usual few tweaks but broadly the same with the new climb out of Carlingford included.

Yes, similar route to last year.

There will be the usual few tweaks but broadly the same with the new climb out of Carlingford included.

Hopefully there will be some dry weather between now and the event, will make the off-road sections hard going otherwise...

Also very surprised to see no eMTB's allowed? I guess there must have been some concerns raised about them being included...

Yeah I hear ya on the weather.

Does this mean e-bikes aren't allowed to take part?

Just curious, why the organisers decided to dis-allow eBikes? I can think of many reasons .. most likely due to CI not insuring an event but wondering if you had any info?

Why would CI have an issue insuring the event? They allow and cover ebikes in Grassroots & Gravity Enduros, along with the Biking Blitz. Genuinely curious.

• Advertisement

All I know is that there's no E-Mtb category in the Cross country races so it could be that this as an XC event as opposed to Enduro so for insurance/safety reasons I would say...

Advertisement