Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The All-New Late Late Show Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe the Style awards are a front? There is no award ceremony. They are all going to show up for Ryan's last shoe, pretending they are elsewhere. That would be a hoot, wouldn't it.

It's the least they could do. He gave their limited talent so much air time over the years, and helped them to a career few of them deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

No time like the present

Special thread for tomorrow night considering it’s Ryan’s last orders:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058297915/trubridy-s-final-late-late-show-evah-special-thread-26th-may#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭deezell

Tubs is not thick. He'd see that coming a mile off, like when all your friends can't make your 50th or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

He could possibly get a taxi back and sleep on the way! Also the show will be ending a lot earlier when it comes back so he'll not be as late leaving as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If Kielty will be constantly travelling from London to Dublin, not sure if this appointment will last in the long term.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

Russell Murphy's descendents are still knocking around and can give advice.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Maybe the taxi driver can bring him inside his house and tuck him in bed so he doesn't have to wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

There's always one smartarse...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Just to let you all know- for one night only- a separate LLS thread for Ryan's last show - do please drop by and say hello

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058297915/trubridy-s-final-late-late-show-evah-special-thread-26th-may/p2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I'll pass.....good riddance to Tubridy....

The Irish Phillip Schofield.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

An RTÉ source said there is speculation the show will be "shorter and lighter”, taking a leaf out of Graham Norton's format - and that could spell an end to verbose politicos appearing on the show

"The consensus is that once the new regime starts, it's going to have a much lighter vibe, making it more of a light-entertainment show and a bit of craic.

"By the time you get to ­Friday night, you've had your fill of hard news.

"You want to sit back, open a bottle of wine and have a laugh.”

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I think that this show is doomed .... it to me seems like just Tubridy sans politics and the 'misery slot' is what is planned here .... what does that leave? All that modern music rubbish, airheads, Luv islanders and Vogue 'n' Imelda May 'n' so-called 'comedians' .... worse and worse it is getting .... not everyone wants (very) light(weight) (non) entertainment and I get the feeling the politics and the 'misery slot' were inserted because of the lack of 'entertainment' that exists today .....

This show and the whole Irish entertainment scene is doomed ... all the good guests Gaybo had both Irish and otherwise ... Luke Kelly ... Jerry Lee Lewis ... Peter Ustinov ... Charlie Haughey ... etc etc etc ... are all dead .... maybe this show should have died with them .... because unless someone finds a way of resurrecting these dead legends this show is the living dead !!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Well observed. The misery slot in particular was a constant because it is a lazy, easy, ratings winner. The equivalent of putting Coldplay music under everything to get an emotional response. And it certainly served as filler to make up for the distinct lack of anything else worth watching.

I wouldn't consign it to the bin just yet though. With the right host and a fresh approach, the LLS can still be worth watching. It needs to be shorter. But not necessarily all fluff. They should certainly try to steer the show back to it's origins and cover topics that Tubridy scrupulously avoided due to his own inadequacy and for fear of controversy. I've said it many times. Where were the Brexit shows from 2016 on. Where were the panels of Irish commentators getting into heated debates, perhaps with a unionist or two. I remember Ian Paisley Jr in the audience of the LLS back in Gay Byrne's time. Where were the Trump debates. Going back over the last decade, did we see a hard hitting debate about the bank bailout or the repercussions of austerity? These would all have been bread and butter items on Byrne's or Kenny's show. All lost in favour of Philomena Begley and Nathan Carter.

I dont think they will put PK in a strait jacket of doing puff pieces for Irish Z listers and endless misery items but you never know.

You've nailed it. The LLS was always an excellent counter to facist, fundamentalist and extremist opinions. Simply invite these types on and let them self expose their flawed logic and lies.

If you watched last nights Primetime, you'll have seen the current crop of nazis intimidating the populace under the pretence of 'peaceful protest'. A motley mob of tictok warriors peddling their naked hatred and gross misinformation as public concern. Invite these morons on to the LLS, put them next to a balanced selection of normal citizens. Seated and stripped of their livestream cameras, they will be shown up for the latent thugs they really are.

Who of my generation can forget in 1994, Brian D'Arcy's humble humanity flooring the powerful but exposed and hissing Cardinal Bishop Daly, devoid of his pomp and Palace. It was a seminal moment in the irreversible dismantling of the church's power, by one of their own, in a few well spoken sentences. No parade of victims, just face down the perpetrators. It was classic LLS, profoundly changing us as citizens, for the better.

What you suggest would be the right approach ... but will that occur? The Z listers do need to go .... this whole Luv Island/Big Brudder culture needs to go .... all that needs to go ..... the misery slot allowed RTE to cover up Tubridy's lack of versatility as a host ....

I agree about the topics you mentioned .... I'd add in Covid as well ... no proper debate on that either just Tubridy demonstrating how to wash hands, wear a mask, etc. and getting tested and then getting Covid .... and having people get vaccinated .... instead he should have had a debate about how to best handle Covid besides long lockdowns ....

The show should be steered back to its origins .... and away from reality and talent show culture .... everything that is wrong in Irish 'entertainment' may not have been invented by Tubridy but Tubridy embraced it and did nothing to help end the dominance of the airhead reality show era and forced this stuff on everyone whether they liked it or not .....

I came in on the end of that Primetime ... will watch the rest later on ... yes the old LLS was a counter to extremism and allowed them to self expose their flawed logic and lies ....

The church, corrupt politicians, etc. were taken down by the LLS .... perhaps its future now is to relocate to Iran!! ... but there is still plenty a proper version could do in Ireland .... surely Tubridy could have had some of those crazy anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers on during Covid and have provided an opportunity for those to crash and burn? .... I'd love to see the likes of Gemma O'Doherty confronted and asked to explain her extremist views on Covid, her perception of 'corruption' and immigration for instance ... and be exposed for the fraud she is .... but alas never was done during Tubridy who preferred to fawn all over Imelda May and Maura Higgins ...

Yes, while Kielty is capable of more in depth and serious interviews, I'd imagine he will lighten the show up and bring a genuine bit of humour and comedic timing plus natural rapport with guests. RTE's real choice would have been Claire Byrne, who would probably have been the best fit for more serious topics and wouldn't be shy about confronting charlatans or spoofers, as was demonstrated when she demolished Nigel Farage one night on TV.

I listened to Brendan O Connor at the weekend who did a very good interview with Maureen Gaffney the clinical psychologist about parenthood and being a father specifically. It struck me how well O'Connor followed on from her musings with pertinent questions which continued the flow of the conversation and eventually lead to a feeling, that even in a short radio interview, a lot of ground was covered for the listener. It was a bit of shame he didn't end up getting the gig. I think he was probably a better fit than PK. A natural empathy, an ability to actually shut up and listen to the guest and with a good sense of humour too. A mature adult basically.

Im hopeful about PK though. He's a smart guy, and while not a journalist, I think he's very much clued in on what makes good journalistic content and he's naturally interested in people and exposing what makes them tick. Something Tubridy never had. The best presenters arent afraid to go out and possibly get it wrong, make a fool of themselves. Tubs could never do that and was always in damage limitation mode which meant he veered more and more towards safe, easy, non controversial topics.

I agree Claire Byrne would have been the best fit for more serious topics .... it was clear she was not interested in hosting any more late evening shows after Claire Byrne Live though ... I feel she would have done well with the LLS and would have been an antidote to Tubridy's silliness ....

I remember Claire demolishing that idiot Nigel Farage ... one of the best scenes from Irish TV in the last decade ... she would have been ideal to do same with self styled Brexiteer pro-Trump 'comedian' Katie Hopkins but sadly it was Tubridy who had her on!!! ... Hopkins is more proof of someone from a reality TV background who has risen to fame with nothing to offer at all ... and then resorts to faux controversy supporting all the bad stuff ...

The Irish music, comedy and entertainment scene has been in terminal decline with years ... in fairness long before Tubridy came on the scene ... ever since reality TV, talent competitions and lazy comedy like imitating politicians took hold ... the goose was cooked wrt the Irish 'entertainment' scene .... Tubridy became little more than a promoter of the mediocre Irish scene and TV's outlet for them ...

The future of the LLS would be in more discussion and serious topics that are not the 'misery slot' either ... we have had way too much cancer, ALS/MND, suicide, etc. on to last 3 lifetimes .... sympathy for those who experience all this of course but should have its own show like Check Up used to do years ago .... Kielty may or may not work out well .... if he continues with Tubridy's 'entertainment' guests then it will not improve .... he seems to be better at things than Tubridy but he does need the guests to go with it and he does need to leave his Luv Island background out of it ... we do need to draw a line in the sand and stop this overhype of reality junk .....

I liked Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show of about 10 years ago ... it was way better than the Tubridy show by a million miles ... he would have been a perfect fit and would have been ideal for the LLS ... I also do not understand why RTE suddenly ended the Saturday Night Show either ... since then not one of the replacements have been as good ...

Tubridy steered clear of anything not safe or easy ... he dropped the more serious and challenging topics of the Pat Kenny era but kept the boybands, Louis Walsh, etc. and then added in more reality TV drivel like Luv Island and also ex boyband stars who went on to sing what passes as country music and who decided to take a shot at the Eurovision ...

One thing Tubridy did a lot of early on and then dropped were the psychics/mediums ... why did he suddenly drop them does anyone know?? ... They were on constantly during his earlier years ....

They put Claire through that quiz show to try and cultivate her light entertainment ability. The show was completely devoid of humour, it had all the fun of a civil service job interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yeah, watched "Irelands Smartest" and it was kind of wierd. Sort of like a hybrid of Weakest link and "Mastermind" (from back in the day). Claire just seemed uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One thing Tubridy did a lot of early on and then dropped were the psychics/mediums ... why did he suddenly drop them does anyone know?? ... They were on constantly during his earlier years ....

Unforeseen circumstances? 😁

but seriously, was he just giving these chancers free publicity for their bullshit? No point in letting charlatans on TV unless they're given a hard time.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

It seemed that way .... I do not remember him contradicting them at all ... he just asked them to explain what they did .... and they talked about a boxing match with the half man half dog fierce 'devil' .... or angels and feathers helping you in life ... or what ever else these peddled ... it was not that different to the hypnosis merchants he also had on .... personally I do not believe in any of this stuff and it is all a cod to take money off the gullible ...

Tubridy must have gotten complaints about them .... because of a sudden he dropped all that type of content .... they are leeches .... at the same time I remember they had one in Love/Hate saying he was able to communicate with a dead person (Darren's brother) ... Darren's sister believed in him but not Darren ... Darren turned up with a gun and told him to stop charging his sister and to tell her he is in a happy place ... that may well be the only way to deal with them !!!

Wouldnt be in Tub's nature to actually confront or contradict such a spoofer about their bogus nonsense. That's why he's such a bad fit for a programme which tries to straddle both light and serious issues. Like these people were always facets of the old LLS in Gay and Pat Kenny's time, ratings is rating after all but both men gave the camera the raised eyebrow and it was clear this was a bit of entertainment or the very least a curiosity. Tubridy on the other hand attacked the like of Richard Dawkins for the sin of being an atheist but would give these charlatans a fair hearing.

Thank fúck he's gone.

Never knew he challenged Dawkins, so he's a closet creationist then? I'll second that Thank Fcuk so.

a particular low point of that interview was tubridy assuming he was the voice of Ireland and getting it wrong

They are all scumbags who exploit emotionally vulnerable people, and RTE should be ashamed for promoting that shyte.

Although the "big two" religions they happily promote every Sunday do exactly the same thing.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Then again when Richard Dawkins was on TLLS in Pat Kenny's time you could practically hear the audience hissing. PK (and the scrolling text) uncritically read out the most bigoted, dumb as all fcuk nonsense that certain viewers texted in. It was an utter embarrassment.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

I'll have to have a root for that. I'd expect Gay maybe to have dissed Dawkins, his generation and all that, and we all remember his Bishop brown nosing when he had Annie Murphy on, but I'll have to see 'What Tubsy did next' for myself.

It's telling he was let nowhere near Joe Biden, despite being a US Prez super Fanboy.

• Advertisement

Gaybo was several years retired off TLLS before Dawkins came to mainstream prominence, The God Delusion was published in 2006. He had to content himself with a "Paddington hard stare" at Stephen Fry on that awful "The Meaning of Life" programme.

Advertisement