Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Trump indicted on 7 counts in South Florida.

The move to Florida emerging on Tuesday and the 2nd Grand Jury has been totally out of left field.

If I had to guess at what DOJ's play is here? It's going to charge the documents case in Florida and the insurrection/J6 case in DC.

Good hunting to Jack Smith!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When you think about it this is his last best shot: Miami, mar a lago, where many potential jurists will be pro trumpers, many even jan 6 'truthers,' and incidentally also coincidentally southern florida is a once thriving LGBTQ cultural center, which has been the target of terrorism since before and after Pulse Nightclub, up to and including state laws being passed to scare the **** out of LGBTQ and even minorities and other anti-Trump people so they will flee the jurisdiction, leaving an even more densely red jury pool. As a foil to the Bragg case in NYC, Trump couldn't ask for a forum more corruptly stacked in his favor, up to and including the federal circuit and the supreme court which is about to oversee this clusterfuck in history.

So if he loses this, he ain't got **** all else to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Indictment is still under seal but there are rumour's that some of the counts are espionage charges.

If the charges are towards the most serious and he get's the book of evidence I do wonder if we will see a plea deal here. Florida or not, I'm not sure if he will have the stomach to put his freedom in the hands of a Jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ah sur, at least he was right about the golf I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He won't have the stomach, and definitely not the ego, to plead guilty

All his life he’s gotten his way. Whilst he’s no stranger to court, this is a different game.

He is looking at very serious charges and if his solicitors lay it out that he’s in big trouble then I wouldn’t be surprised if he gritted his teeth and took a plea deal.

That'd be trump admitting he was lying/incorrect in all his toof social rants about that 'he's done nothing wrong', has trump yet to admit he was wrong? It's not like he can scribble over a weather chart with a sharpie or something to correct this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Imagine if he flees to Russia…

😂😂😂

That'd be a sticky wicket for his secret service detail

• Advertisement

No but he can whinge and moan about it from his golf course instead of a cell. He’s never been in this position before.

You’d have to imagine the evidence would have to be pretty overwhelming for the DOJ bringing a case like this against a former president. Getting ahead of ourselves here but if his legal team tell him the writings on the wall, I could see him him taking a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If the reporting is correct on the 7 indictments, if given all the maximum penalties and serves them consecutively, it could be 100 years in prison. Lots of ifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,605 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah this is a man who espoused as far back as 2016 that he never settles cases, while repeatedly settling pretty much every case eventually.

He'll fight and drag it out for as long as possible with bullsh*t excuses and time delays, but there's a good chance he settles and agrees to plead guilty to some of the lesser charges if the bigger ones (espionage act especially) are dropped. Then he'll claim publicly he was forced to plead guilty, isn't guilty, corrupt DOJ, biased judges, donate here, whataboutBiden, donate here, crooked (insert relevant name), no seriously please give me money, I can do what I want I was President, give me money and I'll match your donation by giving 5x that amount to myself which actually doesn't mean anything because it's already my money but just give me more of your money for reasons I don't care just give me your money, something something Clinton, MAGA!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One difference here, is that the courts in Florida use the 'rocket docket' and typically conclude cases in 6 months. Delaying tactics might not work this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

@Penn: "He'll fight and drag it out for as long as possible with bullsh*t excuses and time delays, but there's a good chance he settles and agrees to plead guilty to some of the lesser charges if the bigger ones (espionage act especially) are dropped. Then he'll claim publicly he was forced to plead guilty, isn't guilty, corrupt DOJ, biased judges, donate here, whataboutBiden, donate here, crooked (insert relevant name), no seriously please give me money, I can do what I want I was President, give me money and I'll match your donation by giving 5x that amount to myself which actually doesn't mean anything because it's already my money but just give me more of your money for reasons I don't care just give me your money, something something Clinton, MAGA!"

I love it! Sounds like Molly Bloom's stream of consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I can't see Trump pleading guilty to this one - in fact, he's more likely to burn down everything around him and demand that his followers go to war than he is to admit that he did something wrong. Charges under the Espionage Act are incredibly serious. Will be interesting to read the indictment when it's unsealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

His followers are going mad on Twitter, Biden gets 5m from Ukraine and Trump is indicted over a few documents, Trump had the power to declassify, its a political with hunt to stop Trump, electoral interference etc etc . Wouldn't put it past him to drop a few hints that maybe its time to hit back. He'd phrase it that its unfortunate that ordinary decent people are pushed into action because of a Marxist fascist government.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump won't plead guilty as it would prevent him from fundraising off the issue and all that matters is money.

He will stoke up rage and anger and won't give a damn about the possible outcomes.

He would use any public order issues in his bartering - "If you don't drop these charges , the people will fight" etc.

His main focus will be to try and delay the proceedings for as long as possible to try to get himself to the Election without going to Court in the hopes that he wins and can them just shut down all the cases against him.

That is his only play here and he will happily allow his supporters to riot in the streets and get arrested and imprisoned to give him those delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭jonnreeks

Trump has no chance of the Rep. nomination, with all the legal accusations his support is slowly being erased and when it comes down to the choice he will loose.................but expect Trump to cause as much disruption as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You'd absolutely want trump to face all these charges and be on the ticket.

It'll be the biggest defeat in history, and a fantastic send off to an abject political failure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If Trump is able to stand for the nomination , Trump will win it, simple as that.

And it won't even be close sadly.

The only current GOP candidate that is likely to say a word against Trump in relation to the charges is Chris Christie , all the others will agree with Trump and call it a "Witch hunt" and "Election Interference" etc. despite the fact that by doing so they are ensuring they lose to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

So just a quick tally of Trump's "achievements" since 2015 (I'll definitely miss a few but just off the top of my head):

-Lost the popular vote twice.

-Lost the House and Senate during his term in office.

-Failed to get his two main policy announcements done during his 4 years (wall and repeal of Obamacare)

-Impeached twice

-Left office with a massive increase in national debt, having said he'd get rid of it within a few years.

-Incited an insurrection

-Found to have sexually abused E Jean Carroll by a court of law

-Indicted twice after leaving office, once under the Espionage Act.

And yet the "party of law and order" is still nailing its colours to him for 2024. The guy is a proven and continuous loser, I cannot understand how the GOP can still be standing behind this guy when it's pretty obviously that in the long-term, he'll ruin both the party and the country. Just shows how his politics of lies, misinformation and division have destroyed the American public's belief in their institutions.

He's obviously being sarcastic (the defence from a certain poster). If only we had a universal indication when you're being sarcastic, that'd be really useful

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

This is the same party that after Nixon made it their main priority to never get 'caught' again.

Calling Republicans law and order party is akin to calling the North Korean government democratic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Grift grift grift...

Other amount - *punches zero*

Beautiful isn't it?

What on earth is "for 1500% impact" supposed to mean??

It reads like one of those Nigerian scam emails..

Just utter nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,605 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's another way of phrasing their other grift of "We'll match your donation by 5x, so if you donate $20, it'll be like you're donating $120!" However, as they're then just donating the $100 to themselves, it means nothing and they just get the $20.

So with "1500% impact", someone donating $20 believes Trump will actually be getting $320 because of their $20 donation, so may be more likely to throw him a few bucks.

Again, total scam just designed to convince working class people to donate money to a f*cking billionaire.

WOO! MAGA!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement