Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Accept that vendors want the highest price for their most valuable asset, and EAs are paid to get it. If you feel scammed by that, the purchase process is going to be fraught with strife and doubt for you.

Sellers pay EAs so they market the property professionally, and avoid having to deal directly with buyers/tyre kickers. Sellers doing the job themselves often put up signs outside the property with their mobile numbers, same on daft/myhome. Don’t worry about the seller’s 1-2% cost, in the overall scheme of things, it’s not a lot, and not the buyers concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

Few tips I can give you having gone through a torturous purchasing process over multiple years.

• Try get to know some estate agents as quickly as possible. ‘Off market’ sales were almost always the best value we saw. It’s hard to get on their ‘list’ of off market buyers without showing you’re serious on a few houses initially. Once you’re on, you’ll start seeing some great houses with much less competition.

• Houses sold without estate agents must be less than 1% of the market. You’re looking at far too small a pool of houses. I’d forget this completely.

• Don’t be afraid to be the second highest bidder on a house, especially if you’re not 100% convinced on it. A significant percentage (20%+ id estimate) will fall through. If it does fall through and comes back to you at a price you were willing to pay. Don’t get too smart about it. We lost a house over this saying we’d drop our offer to asking price as the other bidder wasn’t legit. Seller put it back on market again. We bid asking but after a few weeks we ended up bidding about €100k over what we were offered the house for and still didn’t get it. Still kick myself to this day over being a smart arse.

• Estate agents are sneaky, don’t trust a word they say about ‘sellers want a quick sale’ etc. all that is just salesspeak. But they’re overwhelmingly not crooks and if you get too transfixed on that every one trying to rob you, you’ll be miserable. Sales tactics to draw higher offers from you are real. ‘Fake bids’ are a figment of the imagination of disgruntled outbid buyers. I was one of them. But take 5 mins to think it through and you’ll realise they make no sense. Be courteous throughout, but give away as little info as possible.

• Biggest one. Get it over with as quick as you can. Life’s too short to waste years trying to buy a house. It’s fun at first, but gets miserable over time. If I could go back in time, I’d happily have paid an extra €50k or more earlier in the process while we were still excited about the whole thing. The mental torment we went through for two years bidding was more painful than the money. In the end, it was relief and not the joy it should have been.

• Especially for you. The interest on your mortgage will be roughly half your rent. So you’ll save nearly €15k a year by buying. This time next year the 5 year fixed will probably be at least 1% higher. So your interest repayments will be c.25k more in the first 5 years. So you’d need a €500k house today to sell for €460k this time next year to be exactly the same financially. The maths is against you there.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

I was also considering buying. I decided to hold for a bit, there are more and more signs to stress in the housing market and recession.

Your question on avoiding EAs is odd as your reasoning is you want to get house cheaper....remember seller wants to get max price...

Anyway, my situation may be different to you since Ill likely just buy with cash, mortgage rates getting too high. But Id still consider holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,589 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Great post, great advice. A lot of it common sense that is not that common.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 syrgian

Thanks a lot DataDude. I feel much less lost after reading your post, and will most likely refer back to it until I understand the tips by heart.

We will make sure we won't stay that long (+2 years) in the market, we need to provide stability to our kids, if needed we will indeed go with slightly more expensive/less value than our favorite sales from the price register.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Why would some properties be off market? I asked an estate agent about this as I'm looking for a property in a particular suburb that doesnt have many available and they said they don't do it as it reduces the pool of potential buyers which means the vendor can lose out on interested parties who could've bid higher. This makes sense to me as agents understandably work in favour of the vendor. Is it thar some vendors don't want their neighbours knowing or is it to reduce amount of time wasters?

No problem, you’ll be fine. You know what you want to buy, you know what that costs and you are able to afford it. You’re in a far better situation than most

I think its a bit of both. Private people who don’t want 30+ strangers stampeding through the house including nosey neighbours, all with the risk that the winning bidder is a spoofer.

Happy to risk getting a slightly lower price but doing it quickly and discreetly with 3 or 4 buyers who are known to be serious and ready to close quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

I did provide sources, read up. Some of the key (sourced) points were: "A new poll has found that almost a third of people say they are considering emigrating because of the crisis in rental and housing – and that rises to 75% for those under 25 years of age." & "The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation has said that affordable housing in large cities and towns is key to retaining nurses and midwives. "

"two of my children are relatively recent medical graduates who both work in the UK," -- also completely agrees with what was my point - that Irish doctors aren't only emigrating to Australia, as the poster I replied to claimed. He claimed zero Irish doctors were emigrating to any countries other than Australia. Which anyone who works in healthcare, or who is close to anyone working in healthcare, will tell you is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

"Mr. Godart you have been found guilty, now pay the compensation you owe"

Godart : "No"

"OK then, no worries."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

This sort of thing has been illegal for some time. The government has already taken action!

But the dogs in the street know that the so called ban is not worth a sh*t.

Not sure why this will make any difference to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Christ, no wonder Fitzpatrick was never elected, plain useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Same thing applies to rulings against both landlords and tenants.

Nothing happens after a "ruling".

Id say if anything was going to be happen Mr. Godart might be the very one to roll the dice fight all this barmy legislation in court. The outcome of that could be interesting, especially if he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

The stench of entitlement is amazing.

A blatant serial offender of fire reqs stuffing properties with multiples of people they were designed for and some here implying that such operators are victims of the system.

Is there any sector in the world that can get away with attempted man slaughter on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m sure there are many sectors where customers/service users are treated poorly. Is attempted manslaughter where you try not to kill someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

Bit of softness in upper price segment (>800k) in Dublin. Except for Dublin 4&6. Prices are just crazy on some nice properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Was at a viewing yesterday in Dublin in the (>300k) bracket and there must've been over thirty different interested parties there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dont be exaggerating. Its more like the total uselessness of the RTB being shown up for what it is for both landlord and tenant. As long as you ignore the RTB you can do what you like. RTB fines dont mean anything to either side it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Everyone knows at this stage the RTB (real thick bastards) are absolutely useless. Useless for the Tennant and useless for the Landlord

• Advertisement

300k in Dublin is bottom cheap. Very affordable and a no brainer va rents.

Any examples? Have a friend looking in this segment and he’s having a rough time with being outbid on everything. Mainly SCD - blackrock and surrounds mostly.

7 Warren Lodge, Sutton sale agreed 960k

no2 identical with full sea view was sold 1.26mm. 300k for direct/non direct sea views is a massive difference, far bigger than when sold as newbuild. Evidently 2 had bidding war, 7 didn’t.

also 8 cairn hill on market for ages no bids, no9 sold same peice with attic converted. But would expect someone to at least bis on it below ask.

Had spotted Cairn Hill alright. Looks fairly priced and no action. This person has no interest in Foxrock unfortunately.

No knowledge of North Dublin pricing but have always been interested in what a direct sea view was worth. Think an EA from Howth in Irish Times last year said it was about €250k extra on €1m house. Feels about right to me but just based on what I’d pay rather than hard data.

No7 also has sea views, just the second row and 2 semi blocks in front.

newbuild the price difference was 150k. (770 vs 925)

also, only looking in ONE area is not ideal with low supply. I’m happy in Howth or Bray or off Baggot street, be open to anything.

Agree with you generally, but unfortunately these friends are a teacher and a surgeon so no WFH. Proximity to the hospital in particular is key so less flexibility on location than most.

Also if friends and family are all south of Dublin, I personally wouldn’t even consider north side, despite how lovely Howth and some other parts are.

Year on year prices in UK are negative and falling in the UK.

First time they hit negative for 10 years, will Ireland follow shortly?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

I'm oddly fascinated with the future of Foxrock. It seems like it was a big deal to a certain type of cliquey young professional middle class 40 years ago who gave it a veneer desirability and thus premium prices, but it has never really appealed to anybody to the same extent since.

Currently there are 38 houses for sale in Foxrock, 29 of them are €1m+ and 14 of those are €2m+.

The sellers clearly believe it as at the high end of the market, but it seems like many buyers in the high end of the market wouldn't even look at it. Totally understand why.

I think Foxrock is fairly ordinary location in terms of amenities, both visual and practical. €1m buys you a fairly ordinary house in all the premium locations of South Dublin, but at least the other premium locations have excellent amenities - dart/sea etc etc. And character of which Foxrock has zero.

At current prices €1m in Foxrock is an ordinary house in an ordinary location. I'd much rather buy an ordinary house in a lovely location.

At once you're up in the 2m, 3m, 4m bracket - this sort of money will get you fabulous houses in a lovely location, so the mind boggles as to who would pay €3m to live in Foxrock.

I know people who grew up in Foxrock, offspring of the 70's middle class, and when buying they all shunned Foxrock in favour of the other premium SCD choices.

If they're turning their nose up at it, no surprise others are too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭wassie

Possibly not in the short term for 3 main reasons, as discussed here many times before:

1. Demand is high, supply is low and credit availability is robust
    2. Banks havent passed on full effects of interest rates
    3. Central Bank lending rules on LTIs mean borrowers are not over-indebted can withstand rising rates countries for longer.

However, rising interest rates are like gravity on asset prices and if they continue to climb then at some point the market may need to adjust.

• Advertisement

Well thats all nice points but the actual figures show they are trending to show negative year on year prices either this month or next.

We are a bit behind UK on rate increases, possible why we are a bit behind on drops.

Advertisement