Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare after Leaving Job Voluntarily

• 23-03-2022 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I am considering Leaving my job. I am just wondering, with regards to the 9 week wait between leaving a job voluntarily and being allowed get the dole, if I would have to go 9 weeks without an income or would I be able to get my first payment backdated so that I would receive 9 weeks payment at a later date?

Thanks

Comments

There's a difference between 'job seekers BENEFIT' and 'job seekers ALLOWANCE '....... & NO , you don't get a tasty 9week lump sum backdated.... why would you think there's an entitlement to a lump sum??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, there is no mechanism to back date anything when it comes to the 9 week's wait, however the 9 week rule is for guidence purposes and is the maximum, it may be less and each circumstance assessed individually.

There could be a justification for leaving a job but not in the case of, for example an industrial dispute. You may be required to explain the reasons for leaving your employment.

It is important that regardless of your circumstance you apply immediately and don't wait 9 weeks. Also you could apply for SWA in the interim period of any waiting time determined & whilst waiting for your first Jobseekers payment if you have no income but keep in mind SWA is heavily means tested.

See attached link and scroll down to

Sanctions for not meeting the conditions of your jobseekers payment.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/conditions_for_getting_a_jobseekers_payment.html#:~:text=Disqualification%20from%20a%20jobseeker's%20payment,penalty%20rate%20applied%20(see%20below)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unemployment benefits is an insurance to cover you against an unexpected loss of income, not a financier of a planned lost of income. So that would be a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Hi

Theres always confusion about this. If you leave a job and a Deciding Officer finds that you you don’t meet the terms and conditions for Jobseekers payment then you will be penalized up to 9 weeks of payment.

That doesn’t mean that your 9 months of Jobseekers will start when the 9 weeks is up.

It means that the 9 months is reduced by 9 weeks. So instead of 9 months you will get 9 months less 9 weeks of Jobseekers. So less then 7 months payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, I understood the 9 weeks wait or whatever is decided on, meant 9 weeks before a person actually receives a payment 🤔 just curious , I can see the sense of loosing 9 weeks of entitlement of JSB but what happens say in a JSA situation as I presume there's technically no time limit of entitlement albeit of course a person expected to get a job .

I always thought it unusual anyone expected to survive 9 weeks with no payment albeit I understand a person could apply for SWA in the interim 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BlackStreet

Hi,

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one.

Left my job as was told throughout COVID we would stay remote afterwards. We were asked this year to come to the office twice per week and now they want us in the office everyday with no leeway.

I'm living over 100km away from Dublin and the commute is just not worth it. Looking for something locally atm.

Would this be considered as 'just cause'?

Did someone say you dont have to wait 9 weeks for JSB and it is just a reduced rate?

Thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

It'll be up to the deciding officer in DEASP wether it’s just cause or not. There isn’t a list of reasons for leaving that they check off against. The deciding officer weighs everything up based on the information available to them.

If you were lodging a complaint against your employer to the WRC about constructive dismissal under the Unfair Dismissals act then that would be in your favour.

Personally, I would be so stressed about all this that I would be applying for Illness Benefit instead. If you understand.

The top rate of Jobseekers is €220 based on your income in 2021.

Advertisement