Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars in Barronstrand St & John Roberts Square

• 13-11-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I was in town last Sunday and it was fairly busy. No fun when you're pushing a buggy around - at least I was in no hurry. But what made things worse was that people had basically driven right up and abandoned their cars all around the place. More than once half the street had to stop and wait because some fcuker was doing a 10-point turn in a jeep.

I also noticed that the paving down around near the Cathedral is in poor nick, no doubt because people are driving up there and then turning their cars around (the steering action of the wheels has the effect of loosening the cobbles).

I know they need to open that area in the mornings for deliveries, and for occasional weddings in the Cathedral. However apart from that, surely to God they should just keep it closed to traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

That would have been for mass in the cathedral... doesn't make sense considering how many free carparks there are around on a sunday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fricatus wrote: »
    I was in town last Sunday and it was fairly busy. No fun when you're pushing a buggy around - at least I was in no hurry. But what made things worse was that people had basically driven right up and abandoned their cars all around the place. More than once half the street had to stop and wait because some fcuker was doing a 10-point turn in a jeep.

I also noticed that the paving down around near the Cathedral is in poor nick, no doubt because people are driving up there and then turning their cars around (the steering action of the wheels has the effect of loosening the cobbles).

I know they need to open that area in the mornings for deliveries, and for occasional weddings in the Cathedral. However apart from that, surely to God they should just keep it closed to traffic?

i have seen similar happen alright. A simple one way system (entry at clock tower and exit at a-wear) would you imagine be simple to navigate safely for all. I'd imagine both ends are open so its just ignorance of the Irish driver again. there should be no need for signs to be erected down there but that is what should probably happen. A digital sign that comes on between 7-9 would probably be best saying one where to exit, park on left, Cathedral side to allow others to pass.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Def sounds like the mass crowd,
    Traffic laws don't apply to these people, only the laws of god....and even then they are still selective :P

Thats why they can double park and do what they want up by the church after the Park as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »
    Traffic laws don't apply to these people, only the laws of god.

Thats why they can double park and do what they want up by the church after the Park as well.

LOL :D

You mean St Joseph & Benildus? Yep, the magic anti-law cloak called "Mass" applies there.

"Sure I couldn't fine someone for parking in a bus lane on a Tuesday morning, if they're at Mass"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Cabaal wrote: »
    Traffic laws don't apply to these people, only the laws of god....and even then they are still selective :P

I've often thought of how much I'd enjoy being a Sunday morning volunteer traffic warden. See their faces light up coming away with their sins washed clean only to find a parking ticket on their cars :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

old gregg wrote: »
    I've often thought of how much I'd enjoy being a Sunday morning volunteer traffic warden. See their faces light up coming away with their sins washed clean only to find a parking ticket on their cars :P

Council would fold like a piece of paper on everyone of the tickets as they'd end up in the paper.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/hell-to-pay-as-elderly-clamped-while-visiting-relics-in-limerick-1-5615440

Apparently rain is a valid excuse to park where you want to visit some old bones relics in a church, not just a good old mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Whats hilarious is when people park in John Roberts Square early and don't leave on time. Watching them drive around trying to find a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭vixdname

****Cant delete post** can MOD delete please - incorrect thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

A traffic warden ticketed a number of mass goers cars close to St Joseph & Benildus a few years ago and there was condemnation from the altar over it. IIRC it was reported in a local newspaper.

Wow, that's some bump for a thread - almost 10 years! I'd forgotten I'd created it... and things haven't changed one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Imagine the priest being on the side of la breakers, such a shock.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

He sure did, and these days, he gets up and makes his own breakfast at the weekend. If you're a parent, you will surely identify with how significant this is. Of course occasionally he opens the back door without disabling the alarm 😂

On a serious note though, it's depressing to think that there's no prospect of him being able to cycle safely into town. Not long after he was born, I got to see how things are done in the Netherlands when I was sent there for a few weeks with work. I thought we'd have progressed by the time he was a teenager, but we've gone backwards, with more SUVs than ever, and no segregated cycle lanes anywhere in the city. After the wonderful Apple Market roof was put in, I thought we'd see loads of outdoor seating for the restaurants and pubs, but instead it's just a short-cut for SUVs 😣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭azimuth17

SUVs going nowhere that can't be reached by going up Bunker's Hill and over towards Castle Street. Cracked stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

they ticket cars from aib the quay to the end of patrick st week mornings nearly got one last week warden told me commericals only he had already done 6 cars so beware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The worst thing about the council making these traffic layout changes is that they often spin it as "temporary" as if a review was going to be carried out in a couple of weeks when in reality the changes to Castle Street, Parnell Street, Ozaman Street etc were always going to be permanent and if you dont like it, tough sh!t.

Total contempt for locals affected by the increased traffic and hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Isn’t there a planning process of some kind involved before changes are made to streets/traffic flows/new one way set ups etc……locals can get their ‘speak in’ during these processes?

Advertisement