Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭pauldry

Am I in the same country as everyone. Sunny and 23c all day in Sligo. Yesterday was the coldest one 19.5c

Sunset yesterday n grass. Sorry its sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks a lot for that . I went and bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%,I didn't even look at the forecast or realise it wasn't great in the East.I can't remember the last time I got up and it wasnt scorchio and blue skies.

I am at that unusual rare stage of an Irish heatwave where I don't feel I have to do anything because it'll be the same tomorrow. I caught up on some Netflix the last few nights (albeit with telly set up in the garden)

I'm going to get a massive land if/when this ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

I have recently moved from Wicklow to East Mayo (four and a half weeks here) and have to say this is most magic weather to soothe me into life in the west! Am no stranger to the cold easterlies, which have been the bane of many a summers day in wicklow town with freezing sea mist while 4 kilometres inland is blue skies and sweltering but the heat up here has been amazing. Just amazing. I am working up here in Claremorris but to able to come home and jump straight into flip flops and light the barbecue and sit out as the sun sets makes it all worth it! I know this isn’t the norm for the west and I know well the rain and cold and damp and came prepared for that so to have this weather is an unbelievable stroke of good luck! Went to Sligo today on my day off after a morning working the bog and sunshine and al fresco dining were the order of the afternoon! I feel like I am on holidays! While working full time! The difference sunshine makes to the quality of life. Can’t knock it. Also love a good electrical storm so looking forward to a bit of action and some moisture for the flower garden maybe in the next few days. Loving life to be honest and had to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭pauldry

Went to cook dinner today and looked out window to see my son on his belly in the paddling pool alive and kicking all told. I sometimes forget about the good weather and look out expecting to see it raining and then it's not. Even beginning to smell like abroad now with all the dry warm air.

Most years we get a dry warm spell but mostly it's in April and only brings 17c but this year's has been timed better with the dry Easterly in June a few degrees warmer.

As winds as now sourced from the South in the coming days cloud will be more prevalent but in any prolonged sunshine temperatures could get to 25c. Mainly 20 to 22c so similar here to every day but much warmer in the East than the 14s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Lovely post. Life in the western fringes of this country can be tough in ways, especially when moving from the more urbane east. But in weather like this, it's magic. Wishing you every happiness in your new home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Since the easterly spell began the vast majority of it was pleasant enough until Monday morning. The past 4 days have been mostly cloudy and fairly chilly at times, a bit like the cool and cloudy conditions England has had for weeks on end. Today felt the worst of it it was very chilly today, the wind was quite strong at times and would cut you in two and temperatures struggled.

Tomorrow will see a slight improvement in the east, slightly warmer by a degree or 2 compared to today. However northeast Leinster and coastal areas of Cork and Kerry will be a bit on the cool side but still warmer than today.

Saturday could well be cooler across a good part of the country, especially the northern half, however the warmth from the south will move northwards in the evening with some places getting their warmest temperatures after 7 or 8pm Saturday evening as the warm and humid airmass makes steady progress north.

Sunday the warmth will start to get going across Leinster with 21 or 22C possible in many locations, this will be a welcome change.

Monday is when it really begins with low to mid 20s widely across the country.

Latest UKV charts are in Sunday and Monday looking warmer than what the Arpege is showing above.

Sunday shows 25C possible in Leinster, a whole 12C warmer than today for example.

Monday they have 28C across parts of the south midlands. Very warm everywhere.

the above is only the beginning of this warm spell, as we progress through the working week temperatures close to 30C are possible based on current charts. Will update the up to 120 hour thread again tomorrow with another 7 day look ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

If 30c is reached this summer, it will be the first time that it has happened in 3 consecutive years since records began in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I really really just want our record of 33.3c broken ,we matched it in the phoenix park last year and if it wasn't for that feckin cloud we would have , I mean even the UK got 40c 😞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I want it to be broken, not just a 33.5 or 33.6 but at least a clean 34C, however I still have my doubts if we'll ever see it happen. I don't see it possible from an azores high sitting over us which can get us to about 32.5C at the most around Shannon or Mt Dillon. This would take another direct hit Spanish/Algerian plume in the middle of July lasting at least 2 days with plenty of sunshine, no onshore easterly breezes and a complete lack of cloud throughout the day. An almost impossible achievement especially for Dublin and Leinster in general.

The only other option would be to drain the Irish sea, then we probably would do it this summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

A fine morning in Kildare with lots of sunshine and feels warmer

The easterly is beginning to lose it's grip so today was expected to be between 1 and 3C warmer for eastern areas compared to yesterday. Basically each day is going to get between 1 and 3C warmer from here on with mid 20s possible as early as Sunday afternoon. The overnight models have upgraded the heat for Leinster next week with high 20s possible close to the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The amount of bird poo everywhere! Rain normally dissolves/clears it, but so much of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd say we would have broken it last year if it hadn't clouded over in the afternoon. That said I don't see >34C any time soon even with perfect conditions.

The Sunday fax chart has HOT written all over it, assuming cloud cover stays away

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Shannon Airport on a mean max of 24.2C this June to date. Won't last quite that high but don't expect a huge drop. For context, its record is June 2018 with 20.7C. This June so far is 3 and a half degrees above that... all the NE'ly influence I suspect is aiding in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Doing its' best to rain in Kilkee Clare, spiting rain for the last half hour or so. Will keep down the dust 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cooler feeling here near Tralee so far today, currently 16.4C and overcast with mid level cloud also producing some drops on and off, a few brighter patches developing.

Felt muggy last night getting down to 12.7C

I see Met Eireann are now saying a chance of showers in connacht this afternoon that's a change from yesterday. Sun is out at at the moment but there is cloud in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Sun is beautiful. Windy. Keeping me cool.

17⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Full sunshine now out near the coast in Kerry, breezy and big jump in temps to 24.1C, can see some high convection W of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The sun and the tide is out in Kilkee now, a little bit hazy but a nice warm breeze too. I'm guessing low twenties.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Malin head currently coldest at 14c. Belmullet joint warmest with Shannon at 23c. Johnstown castle rain shower and temperature dropped to 15c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway - some alien wet stuff just fell from the sky. FTW

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not great in Cork, cloudy and quite breezy too. Usually a fan of some thunderstorms but had plans for tomorrow morning so the timing isn’t ideal 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Donegal Airport doing nicely at 24 degrees at 4.30pm

EIDL 091530Z 16010KT CAVOK 24/13 Q1013

Sligo also nice at 23 degrees

EISG 091530Z 09012KT CAVOK 23/11 Q1012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes I want a clean broken record ,34 or 35c who knows we may yet still break it, the question is when lol

If the sea temperatures keep getting warmer nearby this could well happen in the not too distant future. I wonder is this somehow linked to the north Alantic Drift/Gulf Stream slowing down?

The 12z models are currently rolling out, at a quick glance they are all showing a slight downgrade for heat next week with temperatures paired back to mid 20s instead of consistent high twenties and a more unsettled turn towards next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

If you believe the garbage that is the gfs,I'll stick with uk met office model on this one ,gem goes a tad unsettled but not until day 10,let's see what the ecm brings dis evening

• Advertisement

Warm day around Tralee, got up to 24.3C at my site, good levels of sunshine, quite breezy if not windy at times.

Still warm at 21.4C

Advertisement