Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

In terms of the parking, could 2 or 3 large multistorey carparks be built at say cherrywood, sandyford, tallaght and n7 junctions. Use these as airport parking and have frequent buses running between the airport and cherrywood via the m50 of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

Why not just build them near the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't matter a damn when the FF decentralisation wheeze was on the go.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say the frequency of bus would be an issue. How many busses would be needed to run a bus every say 15 minutes to the airport and back going around the full m50. It would be a prohibitive cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭jlang

And even with the best planning and execution, that bus could never be an attractive option for a driver: Driving to and parking in a multistorey at say Cherrywood, bringing (family/luggage/etc) down a lift, waiting up to 15 minutes for a bus and then sitting through 3+ rounds of exiting the motorway, driving to the car park near that exit, letting people load and then driving back to and rejoining the motorway, and ultimately being dropped at the airport bus stop. Never going to win against parking at the airport (even with tolls, parking fees and delays due to traffic or shuttle bus).

Enlarging/upgrading/incentivising the standard park+rides on the Green Line might be a better plan, even without the southside metro upgrade, but I'm not sure the owners of the P+Rs want or need to enhance scope for long term airport-related parking in their facilities.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Baldonnel thing made me laugh. I can already imagine the uproar.

DAA: "We're not going to expand Dublin Airport any more"

The State: "We're going to invest in an airport in a different location."

People from Munster: "It will be great not to have to travel to Dublin any more, Shannon and Cork here we come!"

The State: "The new airport will be.... in Dublin"

People from Munster: "Say what now?"

It also references Belfast as having 2 airports. Aside from the fact that by no measure is Belfast International Airport in Belfast, the airport situation up north is crap. There isn't the passenger numbers, so what you have is 2 mediocre airports rather than 1 good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Belfast situation is bad enough that it doesn't even have an obvious one to close. City is a much better airport for most people but the runway length is limited and non easily extendable. There are also very hard passenger and movement caps that are not likely to be extended; and they were close enough to the movement limit at Flybe 1's peak.

International is awful in every way, but has no limits.

Closing International to favour City would need the City movement limit and passenger cap doubled and require giving up on getting a NYC flight back etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It would be ridiculous in any case to close BFS, an airport with longish runways, plenty of ramp space, room for growth, and co-located military facilities in favour of somewhere that is constrained by geography and doesn't have these features.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

Good to see new car park transfer buses in use, the old ones (think 2007 vintage) were certainly a bit worn out - nice leather seats (not much legroom) and mood lighting….the DAA must have a bit of spare cash considering they are raking it in from the car park fees! New buses are half the size of the ones they are replacing though so there might be capacity issues at peak times (unless they plan on increasing the frequency)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I think the idea of having large car parks near the M50 isn't necessarily a terrible one, but I'd suggest that any bus servicing it to the airport would need to have two things – non-stop service and clearly-defined departure and arrival times, possibly with pre-booked seats.

I'd use that type of service if I was confident in it, and I daresay others coming from outside the pale would too.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Economics101

In my opinion this is a terrible idea. We seem to grasp at any thing but the obvious: invest in peoper public transport links to the Airport, hopefully without decades of consultancy reports, reviews of these reports, planning delays, judicial reviews and all the other stuff which stans in the way of actually getting some real construction under way

Seriously, does anywhere else in the world contemplate such a Heath Robinson approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Build all the M50 carparks yes, but they should be nothing to do with the airport, they should be for general public transport P&R into Dublin itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I know a few people who use the express bus from Red Cow to the airport. Not as P&R, but as a public transport interchange and their only complaint is the lack of frequency to the airport. However using a carrot and stick aproach, increased frequency with less attractive airport parking should be worth considering. similar from other Rail/DART stations.

If it wasn't for the lack of frequency I'd try it out as I live on the Dublin Bus G Spine with a frequent enough bus to the Red Cow. As it is I go through town and just take the 41 to the airport.

Even have it just at the red cow then perhaps. I do appreciate the number of buses you would need otherwise. I wonder if free bus services were offered to the airport from there,would it get many out of their cars. Along with a large multicolor carpark as an alternative to the current airport carparks...

The only reason to look at that rather than *just build them at the airport itself* is Fingal are unlikely to allow more parking on site. That's it - there is no other reason to have them that far off-site.

Multi-storey long-term is generally uneconomic, everywhere. The structures are not cheap and require maintenance.

Why would they block more parking?

It Would take some traffic off the m50, you would come off at red cow, rather than go all the way to the airport and back again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

But they do make a good deal of money from the airport.

• Advertisement

DAA want to buy the former Quick Park site but the CCPC have stuck their oar in. I can't recall a single thing they've done, ever, which was in the interest of consumers but there are any number of things they haven't done.

As DAA make a fortune out of car parking it's obviously in their interest to continue to have shít bus services and no rail link.

Maybe if they were allowed by the "regulator" to have realistic landing charges their dependency on gouging motorists and shoppers would end.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

yeah, unfortunately they and central government have no intention of providing proper public transport to the airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wouldn't call a bus from the Red Cow to the airport "proper public transport to the airport". Metrolink is proper public transport and should happen.

Ultimately, I think there will be quite a limited number of people interested in using Red Cow P&R to the airport, and most are likely to be those from south Dublin/Kildare with relatively short journeys to the airport. I'd say a lot of them would also use public transport to get to the Red Cow and the cost of building a multi-storey car park wouldn't be justifiable. Anyone driving a longer distance would likely just stay in their car until they get to the airport - swapping one car park for another one further away isn't going to be hugely attractive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Surely there’s merit to permitting a certain amount of additional parking at the airport conditional on it not being permitted once MetroLink opens. That’s sufficiently far away that it would allow the airport to recoup the capital outlay on tarmacing a field and would be a useful stopgap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A better option would be for DAA to buy/rent the former Quick Park site and use for parking short term and redevelop the site in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

As bad as the daa carpark and buses are. It still is and will for a long time to come be a vastly better option to get to the airport than public transport for the majority of travelling public. We're a minimum 10 years away for metro and unless there is a major overlhaul of bus routes like Air Coach, then people will contuine to drive and park.

I agree You, pf course its not a great option, but its something that could be done pretty quickly. Duboin transport system is non existent and metrolink probably wint happen either... You wouldn't have the tolls both ways as a plus... either way, its not for fingal county council to decide in my opinion, the population is growing quickly, you can't do absolutely nothing on public transport for decades and then also refuse to accommodate cars...

Getting the quickpark site back into action would solve the issue for a few years probably, but it absolutely should not be owned by the Daa....

I live beside dundrum, id shoe up there and take the green bus of it was reliable, which it isn't, if its not there, I'd hop on airport metro . How long is it expected to take from dundrum.ti airport? Having to make one additional change from luas to metrolink is another joke. Probably better off just using the bus from here, if it were reliable, as it isn't, I just get driven out or park. The crap reliability is one of the big problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

I would be more positive on metrolink going ahead but even when it does. Living in North Wicklow, it won't be hugely beneficial unless there is a reworking of current bus routes. Pre-covid the Bus Eireann 133 was a great service to the airport, but now it only goes to Busarse. Then there is Air Coach from Greystones but equally its service has slipped since pre covid and you still need to somehow meet up with aircoach. Other option is 184 to dart to airport. But as in previous post, drive and parking makes sense nearly every time unless solo travelling.

All that is away from Dublin airport though, so in the short term, its important to get the Quick park site opened up again, ideally with an independent operator but obviously its still better to have Daa than nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Paul2019

I used to have a reliable direct bus to the airport - Aircoach 702/703 but on the last two trips the bus failed to show on the airport bound service and on the return journeys there were no 702/703s scheduled for a long time so it involved using two buses including a packed Dublin Bus route 4 - with carry-on bags.

The getting to and from the airport is the first and last impression of a trip away so a bad airport connection definitely influences whether or not I can be bothered booking another trip at any given time.

I have time and money but often can't be bothered travelling. I doubt if I'm the only one.

Aviation must be losing lots of like minded potential customers.

• Advertisement

Busarse

Freudian slip or what! 😁

Advertisement