Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Waterford have known for 3 weeks they're out, start there championship in 2 weeks, is 5 weeks preparation not enough?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

They had it planned for June. Pat Ryan was releasing players for club games too during the league. Big change in attitudes to the club game down there. Refs were pulled in - told to let things "develop" more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Limerick plays league which County championships are in progress. Clubs play without there county players. However there championship is a round robin competition with ground of six. They are timed to virtually to start with the end of County competition's. I think a good few counties are similar.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We don't really know that about Limerick because we have gone all the way during the split season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I can only speak for Galway as I'm not long out playing for my club and now involved in coaching.

We have league which is played without county players. 8 team groups played every second week (one week hurling, one week football)

Both competitions are at semi final stages. Will be run off in the next month. Start of July. Then focus on championship a month later. Planned.

As stated for us, club players, just because the inter County team is gone we should not have to change every plan we have put in place since January. Players have family holidays booked. Weddings. Trips away. One player for us had a niggle in his shoulder and it was decided to go under the knife fully expecting to be back for August. This is all planned. Respecting a club player is not letting them play games in "Premier months" its respecting the timeline we were given.

Inter County teams start back training in November is 5 weeks enough for them? We started back training in February for league and championship. So no five weeks isn't enough.

• Advertisement

Just like county players are entitled to a structured season so are club players. They are entitled to know when there season starts. They have holidays and life in general to keep. The counties often have league competition's to run off.

The only crib I would have is many counties still have championship as virtual knockout. Maybe running a winners and losers rounds with some teams having only 3 games in championship. But I imagine over time more county club championship will change to round robin at the earlier stage to give club players 4+ championship games.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,830 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare by 3

Galway by 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Hard to call the Munster game.

Galway will get ate by Kilkenny I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭moby2101

Limerick by 4

Galway by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Limerick by 4

Draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Limerick by 4

KK by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I hope next year the GAA change the calender slightly and have the Leinster and Munster finals on seperate weekends or if not at least a Saturday and Sunday of same weekend. It's not right for these two big games to be on right after each other. It was a good move to put the Joe McDonagh as a televised Saturday evening stand alone game this year and i can see that becoming a regular fixture going forward. Adding another week to the microwave championship as Donal Og called it should not be a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Limerick by 4 or 5 and Galway by the same

I'm expecting a big game from Conor Whelan and he is 7/1 to win man of the match. The expectation is for a crowd of approx 30,000 at Croke Park which is not great. Perhaps some Galway and Kilkenny folk have decided to kick the feet up at home and watch the Munster final also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Limerick by 5 kilkenny by 2

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

Sunday is a microcosm of the rushed intercounty scene from minor to senior.

Maybe next year they'll run off the championship in a blitz on the one day in Croke Park.

It's ridiculous having u17 and u20 playing games on Monday and Wednesday nights on the run up to the Junior and Leaving Cert. And playing All Irelands minor and U20 the Sunday before the exams. The build up to such games take a lot out of players, let alone the games and winding down. The GAA talk of player welfare is a joke, whoever schedules the underage games isn't up to it. The Leaving and Junior are over by 23 of June approx. Would it kill them to hold the U17 and U20 All Irelands for the following Saturday eve or Sunday on a football weekend?

Very unlikely that any 17 years olds are doing the junior cert. Even those that are 17 late in the year would be doing it either. Would there be many 16 year olds.

20 years old would be in college as would most 19 year old. The problem is if intercounty is not run off you cannot run off underage club events.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not Junior but Leaving yes and the U20 could have leaving students too

Virtually no student is sitting the leaving cert at 17 years of age. Most students are 18/19 years if age. Any really serious student of county material will do transition year or avoid it so that the leaving will not interfere with there inter county prospects

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A lot of students I know including my niece were 17 when doing leaving. Can also depend on birthday.

Your second sentence makes no sense basically you said any serious student will or won't do transition year. If they don't do transition year they will be younger. I have never met a 19 year old do a leaving cert unless repeating it

• Advertisement

I did my Leaving U17 and many did and still do. As you say few doing the Junior alright.

Not true. Go into first year at 12 turn 13 January to May the following year. And 5 straight years, you're under 17. My nephew is 17 doing the leaving now and a lot of his friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,830 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This thread is something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Possibly a third thread for those whinging about whinging.

And maybe a 4th for name callers and a 5th for ordinary, non moderator, posters who think they can set the agenda of what can and cannot be discussed on a hurling forum.

I've a feeling the Munster final isn't going to go to script tomorrow. Firstly a close game is expected and a good few people think Clare might sneak it. Something tells me Limerick are going to find their form and beat Clare easily and by Sunday evening be hot favourites for the All Ireland. Just a gut feeling that this game will be different than the group game and the two matches last year in the championship. Rarely you get 4 games in a row that are an exact replica of each other. And the scenario of Limerick beating Clare well seems more plausible to me than Clare beating Limerick well.

I'd like to see Clare bridge the 25 year gap to their last Munster, a bit like the minors bridging the 26 year gap to an All Ireland. A Munster would mean a lot more to Clare than to Limerick now. Just a feeling Limerick might be going to do a KK of the 2000s on it and try and knock hurling out of the opposition's head for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Clare v Limerick is a phoney war imo.

Loser will beat Dublin easily so in the grand scheme of things it's not hugely relevant.

• And what about the lads who feel the need to announce teams even though recognized media outlets have already done so....seems a bit silly and pointless 🙄

• Advertisement

If you were told coming out of Semple Stadium after the 1998 Munster hurling final that Clare wouldn't win another Munster title for a quarter of a century it would have been hard to believe. They were so dominant at that time winning three Munsters in four years. They bullied Waterford in that replay and had done to that to most other teams at some stage in that era and were odds on to go on and win another All Ireland. We all know what happened thereafter. Clare never got back to the summit in Munster and have lost five finals since and only 6/29 final wins in total.

It would be some story for Clare and Lohan to go into their near neighbours back yard and dethrone the five-in-a-row chasing champions.

I've heard it said in some quarters that some in Clare would value a Munster win more than an All Ieland this year. It's been such a fantastic Munster championship the medal will be as hard won as any before and harder than most. Most neutrals will be rowing in behind the banner. A great day in prospect. Will Clare end the famine or Limerick make another piece of hurling history? After weighing up all the factors i feel it's going to be the latter.

Advertisement