Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You were just as hysterical about this issue before May of this year, so lets not pretend that this is all about Albanians. Last year the UK had 8.4 asylum applications per 10,000 population. That's the 19th lowest in Europe. This is by no means an "invasion". Any attempt to address this is going to be severely hammered by the mess successive Tory Home secretaries have made of their asylum system. There is an asylum decision backlog of 122,206, thats a fourfold increase in five years. If you think the most incompetent Home Secretary to date is going to solve this you are dreaming.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, are you saying that Britain is not in control of its borders? It certainly seems that you are saying this.

You and others try to portray this as innocent refugees fleeing for their lives.

I don't agree with your interpretation. Until it has been found that they have arrived without justification, then they are not illegal in any way. Until they have been processed, there is no way to know who they are or why they're there.

The vile allegation by the Home Secretary was that the UK was seeing an invasion of illegal immigrants when this was not the case and before the migrants had been interviewed. Maybe you can confirm (as I believe you were told it recently): what percentage of Albanian immigrants are deported from the UK?

This along with previous Tory governments have been stoking the immigration fire as much as possible despite supposedly taking control of their borders. The UK has the ability to process these migrants yet looks for the most extreme method to do it (including breaking the law). It suits them to do this as it plays to their English nationalist audience which appears to include yourself!

Lastly, you posted this: "An Albanian expedition linked to criminal gangsters" - are you telling us that all Albanians migrants are involved in drug running? Have you official stats as to the percentage of Albanians who arrived in UK that were found to be in the posession of drugs?

Or are you simply trying to point towards one article that indicates that some migrants are being preyed upon by criminals but attempting to infer that they all are involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You said they are disappearing and never getting officially registered, but your own link says: Nonetheless, this year, 7,627 Albanians (year-ending June 2022) claimed asylum in the UK, more than double the number in the preceding year (3,578).

Which one is it?

If they're illegal immigrants being trafficked by gangs, the UK can assess their application or arrest them if they don't make an application, determine that they're not asylum seekers, and deport them back to Albania.

They can also prosecute the criminal gangs under the criminal justice system. (not so easy now that the UK has left Europol but there is still some degree of cooperation there)

What they cannot do, is assume everyone crossing into the UK are illegal immigrants. They have an obligation to assess asylum applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

It's not just happening in the UK.Look at this lovable chap who admittedly has been in Ireland a while, perhaps he is misunderstood 🤔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

More whataboutery.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

It’s a combination of exile and fake applications for asylum. They throw their documents away in the English Channel and pretend to be refugees.

They're taught all this by the criminal gangsters. They understand perfectly well how to game the system.

It's an absolute joke.

What? Someone was caught importing drugs. I see three things from your post:

1. One swallow doesn't make a summer - one migrant out of how many has been found to be breaking the law. How many migrants weren't breaking the law?

2. He has been living here for over two decades and although it is difficult to read your first image, I think it says he is 37 years old. How is that comparable to the Farage-type stuff posted by EH?

3. He was caught so would you not say that the Irish system of border control works?

Apologies for the poor link sent from my phone.I have the greatest of respect for the Gardai but `one swallow does`nt make a summer`as you suggest is wrong.These poor,unfortunate albanians are infiltrating all western countries with their criminal drug/people trafficking rings .Here is another link .

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/man-who-smuggled-people-ireland-27487513

So you're saying that all Albanian migrants are involved in crime, particularly drug smuggling although you be no evidence for this bar one or two articles about someone getting caught?

I guess that would be a similar assumption to those in the UK who in the past held the unfounded and completely ignorant assumption that anyone Irish was an IRA supporter.

What an utterly stupid and xenophobic perspective you have there @FraserburghFreddie

That`s a pretty poor attempt at deflection seth `ol lad.

• Advertisement

What did I deflect?

You parrot the English nationalist crap as it seems to suit your pro-Brexit views.

I've not deflected anything. I made a comparison to your horrible stereotyping of Albanian migrants as drug smugglers. It is completely unfounded despite your faux outrage at my pointing it out.

I provided links from Irish newspapers.How is that english nationalist crap? To suggest there are`nt albanian criminal gangs active in western europe is bizarre tbh.

Every country has criminal gangs. You and EH are echoing the Tory line that because some Albanian migrants are involved in criminality then all Albanian migrants are involved in criminality especially drug running.

You for whatever reason felt the need to post an article about some Albanian who has spent the majority if his life in Ireland and was caught as a if that was a reflection of all Albanian migrants.

It's disgusting. It's xenophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There are Irish criminal gangs active in Europe and indeed worldwide too, should we ban Irish people from moving to other countries?

Indeed,they are active in my Irish wife's hometown.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

To add to this, the Dublin Regulation not only doesn't require asylum seekers to apply for refuge in the first country they arrive at; it doesn't impose any obligations on asylum seekers at all. Its object is to identify the member state responsible for handling an asylum request, and it does this by making provision about what member states may or may not do.

Even if, under the Dublin Regulation, State A is responsible for handling a particular asylum request, the regulation does not oblige the asylum seeker to apply in State A. He can, perfectly lawfully, apply in any member state. What the Dublin Regulation does is allow the member state in which he applies to transfer the application to State A.

So, those who tell you that asylum seekers are illegal, are breaking Dublin Regulation by not applying in some state other than the one they have applied in are, in effect, telling you that they have never looked at the Dublin Regulation and have no idea what it says.

Yep. And the regulation also has strict timeframes so that asylum seekers cannot be left in permanent beaurocratic limbo. States need to act relatively quickly to process applications.

And asylum seekers also need to act quickly to make their application for asylum.

I think there definitely are improvements that should be made,but the EU are trying to deal with Asylum seekers responsibly and compassionately with pragmatism. The UK are doing the opposite.

The EU recognise the human rights of asylum seekers. The ERG/Tories declare them to be criminals by default and try to treat them as an infestation to be eradicated or controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Actually, the biggest part is probably revisiting the UK policies which incentivise undocumented immigration of asylum seekers.

You can't apply for asylum unless you are actually in the UK — there is no possibility of applying from overseas. But . . .

. . . if you apply for a visa to enter the UK you will be refused if they suspect that you may apply for asylum.

So, the only way to apply for asylum in the UK is to enter as an unauthorised arrival. Naturally, people who wish to seek asylum in the UK respond to this policy as you would expect; they enter as unauthorised arrivals. If you want to reduce this behaviour, the logical thing is to reconsider the policies which incentivise it.

So, for example, instead of seeking to make agreements with the French to interdict unauthorised channel crossings — tried many times before, has never worked, reasons for this are obvious — maybe make agreements with the French for the establishment of reception centres, where people can apply and be assessed without having to enter the UK?

But the UK right is heavily invested in a policy of demonisation, victim-blaming and performative cruelty; it will be psychologically difficult for them to move to rational, evidence-based policy. Plus there is political benefit to stoking fears about "invasion", and from that point of view a large volume of unauthorised arrivals is actually helpful to them.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread has been veering off topic for a while now, can we please steer it back to the topic of Rishi Sunak and his cabinet/policies, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Good riddance. Useless parasite has caused more than enough damage.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As well Nadine Dorries a Conservative MP has resigned as well. It seem she assumed she be on the Borris's retirement honours list and when she was not she resigned her seat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently even many committed Conservatives are utterly disgusted by his honours list:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,256 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Trashed what remains of his legacy"

What legacy does/did he have that was not already complete trash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

He’s still going to earn millions on the after dinner circuit and have absolutely no comeuppance for what he did. He had zero interest in being an MP. Wanted to be top dog and when that ambition was realised, he had no where else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bloody hell - the list of people he gave honours is basically all his staff and allies in the last 20 years including the hairdresser

Is Liz Trusss honours list coming soon?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Except for his dad, who was refused a knighthood 😂

Id say that’ll make Christmas uncomfortable.

”Some PM, couldn’t even get his old dad a knighthood.”

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe Liz Truss will give honours to Stanley Johnson and Nadine Dorries

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think some people would point to Brexit, Ukraine and the covid vaccine. Brexit is a national humiliation, and both parties support Ukraine and the vaccine rollout is largely due to the strong life sciences here and the centralised NHS.

Every time I think of him, I just picture Abba parties and people suffocating in hospitals.

Advertisement