Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're wrong, it's wasn't to have a dig.

I was genuinely wondering why there was no traffic about the win.

You've answered my question.

And congrats by the way. You're too good for that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Most of it is down to the perception of cheating and breaking financial fair play rules (up to 2018 - which is 5 years ago) which has yet to proven.

Nothing said about how well-run the club is. A pretty low net spend in the transfer window (think it was fourth lowest at minus £8.3m). Compare that to Newcastle £161m, Man United £203m and Newcastle £480m. They also have a lower wage bill than Man United and Chelsea.

Very little discussion about what they do on the pitch and how well they gel together.

I wish the FFP issue was sorted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

You want an example of what im talking about look at my post in the general premier league thread about yesterdays game been a sell out and it being much more difficult to get tickets for city this season. You get 3/4 people that have abs no clue jumping in on me when i give them my experience. These people who have likely never tried to buy a ticket for city clearly know better than me who has tried several times to buy tickets for games only for it to be sold out. Its mental. Id have a conversation with anyone about city anyday in person or via pm or actually even on boards if there was anyway it could be proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

SO Saturaday at 3pm, is anyone going to it ?

This will be a tough Match, Utd will be hyped up to stop us doing the treble, While i would be confident i think if we are not at our best we could lose this one

2-1 win for city is my prediction

While they have improved under Ten Haag, I just cant see us **** it up. We would have to have a very bad day. 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Watched utd in their semi final and they were laughably poor. Can only see an easy City win!

I hear what ye are saying and agree to a certain extent but its a Derby and a Final form can go out the window. Utd will be fired up to stop us doing the treble.

• Advertisement

Thought they were a little sloppy today, made it harder for themselves than needed but hey ho, job done!

Some of the hate out there is unreal.

Reading the match thread the biterness is unreal, all the usual thropes trown out about city dominating the league is unheard of when both Utd and Liverpoll have had equivelent if not better runs. Same thing about the apparent seats avaialable at every city game. the old 115 was thrown out also

I always wonder what they will move onto if/when City are found not guilty, probably say we bribed the committe or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've already been banned from the soccer forum once this year for posting here, so I'll try be more guarded this time.

I'm a United fan but I thought it was important to congratulate the winners and best team today, which I did in the FA cup thread. The standard of play and player that Pep has built is impressive and has to be acknowledged.

However, the owner's of the club have established a chain of clubs throughout the globe which is starting to have a detrimental effect on football all over the world.

The City Football Group of 18 clubs have a coordinated approach to buying, selling and loaning of players that is starting to effect all leagues and all tiers of football.

Manchester City have bought up countless young players and then loaned out to affiliated clubs in the group. Not to improve the players or to improve the groups club's. But to keep other large clubs away from up and coming talent and keep City's dominance in the market. They're hindering the careers of talented young players, stopping them from improving and playing at higher levels. Just to keep the balance of power on their side.

They have the enormous wealth needed to do this and are ruining football with their approach.

It would be one thing if they bought City and poured money into it. But they seem to want to flatten football everywhere else as well.

This is not a dig at Manchester City fans or even the legacy of the club pre takeover.

If United are bought out by Qatar, I'll be gutted. It will taint our legacy like the Saudis have tainted City's.

Thanks for the congratulations.

I think you have the strategy wrong, they dont buy players to keep them out of other clubs. Of course its to improve players and to improve the clubs they are going to, the players improve to a point where they move up the ranks of the various clubs and may make it at city or may be sold on for a profit. Thats the strategy, its not to keep the players away from other clubs. The multi club strategy is very clever model whether you agree with it or not. Most the clubs in the model have been very successful as a result so they are absolutely benefiting from having these players. The players are benefiting from it and City are benefiting from it.

I am biased clearly but to have the vision and then execute it is quite impressive imo.

Also City are not Saudi so a bit harsh to say they have tainted our legacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

City have 115 charges and Guardiola has had run ins with doping in the past. Strange no players want to leave as they are probably on double what are on the books. Also usually a fully fit squad.

It's completely artificial and based on a lot of financial cheating. They can do the treble but it won't mean much. They can win the quadruple and it would be the same.

Of course they have to be good on the pitch and they are. But it's what behind it is the issue.

"Strange no players want to leave" navas, sane, sterling, cancelo, multiple strong stories about Ake, Laporte, Gundogan, Stones Sliva and Marhez all wanting moves for various reasons primarily first team garuntees. Not knowing the facts does not allow you make up your own. "Probably on double"... yeah yeah. More shiiite. Having a fully fit squad is usually a sign of good medical management - or is this some other form of cheating?

Completely artificial? Why? Because of invested funding rather than organic growth? Boo hoo. Parp that royalist tune somewhere else - it's so old money. After the initial investment, City have grown organically. Would I have like if we had developed out of a sweet shop with only local players who all played for no wages and fed the community in their spare time? No - because I am not a deluded fantasist faltulating half baked opinions on a team forum I don't support simply because I am lonely and bitter.

If City doped the numbers they should pay the price - I don't think relegation should even be out of the question. But accusations and guilt are two different things. Amazing that you already know the verdict before the case has been fully completed. Or maybe that is just another boorish assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

To be fair, City have been found guilty in the past and got off on a technicality. Therefore, it is understandable why people are assuming guilt again.

First time in years we have had a fully fit squad too. Some of the delusional posts from rival fans are outrageous! Played the biggest games of last season with one fit defender as we plugged holes left right and centre!

No No not only financial cheats but clearly doping too, we borrowed the inhalers from liverpool…hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

You should probably question some of it. UEFA investigations, medical staff always having players fit, 115 charges now... Guardiola involved in doping before. Having close to the revenues of the biggest teams in the league even though the global fan base is tiny.

Plenty of red flags here. And it's a bit ridiculous that they are not suspended until this investigation is concluded. Imagine and Olympian having 115 charges over him but wins a few gold medals. Ridiculous.

Ya, but ye can plug holes with a caliber of player most clubs could only dream of. And you certainly couldn't have done that pre Abu Dhabi ownership.

Stones converted to a roving midfielder this season. Very successfully. Brilliantly even. But if it doesn't work, there's loads of options on the bench to slot in. Most clubs don't have that sort of luxury to even go trying that out.

Can you remember City pre Abu Dhabi? Ye bounced up and down between PL and Championship. Couldn't land most of your transfer targets. Managerial revolving door.

Manchester City have always been a big club. Not hugely successful but could still hold its head high. Loyal fans. Fervent fans. A club that has its roots deep in the soul of the city. Proud of it's heritage.

Not now though. Abu Dhabi have bottle fed that club up to its current state. Completely manufactured. It's not a club anymore. It's a rich family's plaything. If you're happy with that, good luck to you.

United fan for over 40 years. If we're bought out by Qatar, I'll be distraught. It won't be "our" club anymore. Don't know how you can think City is "yours"

when excatly were city Found guiltly and got off on a technicality - please enlighten us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It is fairly well documented that City didn't cooperate with Uefa and that some of the charges were discounted due to being time barred.

I get that fans will be partisan to their own clubs but if you really believe all of the financial success of City has been above board, then I have a few magic beans you might be interested in.

Course I can remember, Sun Jihai was converted from full back to a top class midfielder which lasted one game when he got a cruel injury! We also converted David James from goalkeeper to centre forward!

I am not debating we dont have a top class squad, of course we do(albeit its smaller than most teams) but most prem teams esp top 8 have two internationals for every position including your own club. There is abs nothing stopping Chelsea, Man United and soon to be Newcastle having similar squads to city its just in the case of Chelsea/united the planning and spending has been particularly poor. Dont let people fool you into thinking no one can compete with city and that the prem is a one horse league, plenty can compete financially. There is no reason why each season 3 or 4 clubs cant compete for the league if they spent wisely and get the right managers in(and give them time).

One last point, and this is a point missed by most football fans, it will always be your club regardless of who owns it. Whether that be the Qataris(or whoever) that buys united the fans will always own it. Same for city, its the same people selling the programmes, running the in the community schemes, same fans going to the games, same people running the local pubs….etc United didnt stop being your club when you had one of the worst owners in prem history(Glazers) running it, why would it be any different now? And the same goes for city now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wouldn't be the first magic beans Pep has been involved with.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

But where was it fairly well documented that they were actually found guilty?

City were found Guilty of not Cooperating thats it. They didnt cooperate becasuse the investigation was bent. Anyone who actually took the time to read the CAS report and see the evidence UEFA had would have to come to the conclusion that CAS did - they had nothing.

No honest investigator would have charged City based on the evidence that was brought forward let alone find them guilty, remember the standard of evidence used by UEFA and thus at CAS was "comfortable satisfaction" a fairly low bar to cross and on all the charges that were examined City were found not guily  

"The standard of proof to be applied in UEFA disciplinary proceedings is the comfortable satisfaction of the competent disciplinary body." https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0257-0ddf58550d23-3b558093983e-1000/disciplinary_regs.pdf page 20

On the topic of the Time barred charges as this is thrown around a lot. It was the same level of evidence as for the other charges. CAS refused to hear the charges as by UEFAs own rules they should not have been allowed to proceed. Anyone who wants to say City got off on a technicality and would have been found guilty if these charges had proceeded would have to first actually name the charges and then explain why they think the evidence for those charges was so compelling when the other evidence was so lacking.

Most people dont have the level of interest to read the actual CAS report so to give a taste of it ill explain one of the charges. keep in mind that UEFAs entire evidence for all the charges was 6 emails from a tranche fo 5.5million emails hacked from City. these emails can be read in the CAS report in section 210 page 58.

The charge was that City's owner funneled money through ADUG to pay the other sponsors fees over a few seasons. Section 210 onwards.

the evidence: 1 email where a city exec refers to "his highness" in an email discussing due funds to be paid, UEFA interpreted this to be Sheik Monsur but the Chairman of ADTA is also referred to as His Higness and City said it was to him the email refeered.

Thats it! thats all the evidence they had but they found City Guilty of that charge!!!!

And heres the Kicker, the icing on the cake: that email was sent two years before what UEFA alleged City was doing became illegal so even if UEFA were right there was no issue with it. But Uefa used their imagination and thought well we can find city guily for all the other years based on that.

THis is the level of dishonesty CIty were dealing with. Its been followed up for years with dishonest reporting of Journalists who etiher cant be bother to read a short report or dont care cause it does sell papers.

Dont believe me though, im just some guy on the internet please read the report.

CAS report at this link

https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/CAS_Award_6785___internet__.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Big game tonight. Hopefully City can get it done, but it will be tough.

Was in eithad for the the city v Leeds game recently. Really good setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

In the words of The King…..It’s Now Or Never

Surprisingly not nervous. I was more nervous last week mainly as losing to united at anything hurts way more.

We have a double in the bag and while we are in a strong position to win tonight anything can happen in a one off match and losing to Inter has no shame they are no mugs despite people thinking they are.

That said, it will be amazing to win and finally get the monkey off the back. Hopefully the game isnt decided by the referee although I like the guy we have tonight, he was good in the semis.

cmon city!

How sh**e is that pre match entertainment.

Fair play to the City fans for giving that pre-match show nonsense the respect it deserves.

• Advertisement

Bad as it’s been Emerson hasn’t had a save to make. Pep to earn his pay now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Welcome to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal fan here guys. Congratulations on a fantastic treble. Champions of Europe. 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

We had our fair share of luck in that game.

Histroy made there tonight and this team wont be forgotten about .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The pair of ye must be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭numbnutz

did Pep just wink at the cup as he walked passed it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pure City, kept our worst performance of the season for the CL final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I haven't posted in the City thread for years because of comments like the above, there's no sensible discussion to be had so it's utterly pointless.

But here we are at a very special time - European Champions and treble winners. I've been a City fan for almost 35 years, and I'll be a City fan another 35 (and beyond, hopefully). I was at Maine Road to watch them in Division Two and I'll be going to the Etihad to watch them as reigning European Champions next season. Lots of lows in my early years were worth it for the highs now. Guardiola has done amazing things with a team playing beautiful football, something that we shouldn't take for granted.

The "best team in the land and all the world" chant holds true finally. The City fans that have stuck out this thread and boards in general, drink it in and enjoy! 💙

Good to hear from you again Xavi6, you (and Blueser) are missed around here.

Great result i thought inter were gonna score in that last 20 mins the relief when the final whicstle went was imense.

Like Xavi i have been a fan for 30 plus years, its great to finally get that monkey off the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It was a nervy first half but once the goal went in, there was a mettle about City that wasn't there in the past.

I have never been to the Etihad - must rectify that. But have been to Maine Road on a number of occasions through the years - 3 home games in the 1998/1999 season were particularly memorable.

The 2011 FA Cup final though - still my favourite. The relief after winning that....

• Advertisement

Good to see you post again here mate. I dont blame you for swanning off as this forum is a difficult place for city fans.

I am in a similar boat to you, 30 years a fan and will be til the end. The 0-0 in div two between us and Northampton in Maine Road without a shot on target in the middle of winter was worth it! Actually it was worth it for the playoff win in 99, this is all icing on the cake!

Has it sunk in yet blues? I am still struggling to get my head round it. The CL thread is a great read, I could only bring myself to do it today and really enjoyed it!

I am loving Jacks celebrations, its keeping me young again and great to see!

Perhaps we can get the forum a bit more active, I love if every city Fan (and any other non troll fans) would pop in to say hi.

Also i would love to hear from newer City Fans we all had to jump on the bus sometime !!!

Intersting article by STEFAN BORSON (@slbsn) on the "new" information relating to citys charges, Nothing new here as such but still worth a read if you have 10mins

https://stefanborson.substack.com/p/conspiracy-theories-and-innuendo?r=2b1e30&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Tickets went on sale for alot of the games this season last Thursday and a lot of them sold out already.

I have a season ticket but with work commitments I am not going to get to as many games as I would normally. If any genuine city fans are looking for a ticket please PM me as more than happy to help out(and it works out cheaper than buying direct from the club).

First game of the season tonight, away to Burnley.

Vinny has done a great job as manager and last season they blew a lot of teams away

Id still expect us to get a result but we will have to play well.

I wonder will Foden start ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement