Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I'd just like to say before he even kicks a ball for Liverpool I wish mcallister well,and hope he does brilliantly for us,but I must say I think he's a bit of an underwhelming signing and hard to get excited about,I suppose it's reflected in the price we payed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Star of a very good and progressive PL team, scoring 10 goals and providing 2 assists, vital part of a World Cup winning squad, available most games and tonnes of PL experience = underwhelming signing.

Hard to know what would whelm some people. Mbappe, Bellingham, Pedri other players that would cost £100m+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Couldn't disagree more, I think he's exactly what we need. If we managed to sign Thuram & Kone aswell and somehow a decent defender it would be an amazing window IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Mane

Salah

Firmino

Gini

Fabinho

Matip

Robertson

Henderson

Nearly a team of underwhelming signings. I love an underwhelming signing.

Even the word marquee gives me the ick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Underwhelmed by a young, premier league proven and World Cup winner.

The price was dictated by the buy out clause in his contact.

Such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Mac Allister is a great signing especially at the price reported. He was already one of my favourite players in the league so absolutely delighted we signed him. I think he'll bring much needed energy into our midfield and is a really clever player too. Like any signing there's no guarantee that he'll be a success, but, I'd be very optimistic that he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The club is still a plaything and with both Messi and Ramos gone there's a serious wedge of money off the wage bill. The squad will still be bloated with senior players returning from loans, including the likes of Navas (N. Forest), Diallo (RB Leipzig), Kurzama (Fulham), Wijnadum (AS Roma), Paredes (Juventus), Draxler (Benfica) and Icardi (Galatasaray).

PSG are reported to have agreed contracts with both Milan Skrinnar and Marco Asensio. They are also strongly linked with Marcus Thuram, Khephren's brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's Facebook. Neo-nazis, racists, and general scum have free reign to post whatever they like. A fake quote from a footballer would barely make a ripple in the grand scheme of things there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

underwhelmed by signing a world cup winning midfielder at the age of 24 for 35m in todays market!!! Jasus I've heard it all now...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mac Allister, Thuram and Kone would be a good bit of business. If we sign these three, then the TAA -> midfield thing is surely temporary?

We still need right back cover right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We needed cover for Trent at RB last season really.

Now we need an actual RB.

It would be a serious backwards step to see him not in midfield next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Conor Bradley might get a shot as RB cover next season. He had a great season on loan at Bolton. Big step up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Inter Miami fans must be sickeningly underwhelmed for not paying anything for Messi 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Doherty is being released by Atletico. May be worth a shout as RB cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's exactly what we need, a pressing, efficient midfielder, I'd go as far to say we have our Wijnaldum replacement finally. We don't need fancy midfielders we need hard workers and legs. The prime of this side no one outworked our midfield, we were destroyed in the middle last season and left our defence totally exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Naby has signed with Werder Bremen. I'm not exactly sure why but I expected him to move to a bigger club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Naby is apparently on 30K now. He was on 120K with Liverpool, but rejected a contract offer on a reduced wage which was surely more than 30K. Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say this will be divisive on here next season!

For me I wanna go back to what I know works, TAA playing "RB" getting 15 assists a season and midfielders covering him.

• Advertisement

This tbh.

We need multiple midfielders who can make us tick, we probably don't need a Fernandez or Madison.

The three lads in their prime probably weren't that highly rated by others

I'd like to see a 4-2-3-1 formation with the following players in some cup games next season.

TAA, Konate, VVD, Robbo

Fabhino, Henderson/Thiago (Thuram if he signs)

Elliot, Mac Allister, Jones

Nunez

Could be mad with through balls for Nunez to run onto and then Elliot and Jones working around the corner of the box with TAA and Robbo overlapping while Fabhino and Henderson/Thiago/Thuram sit in front of VVD and Konate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who will Real go for this summer, seeing as they literally have no strikers now, Nunez maybe 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

After his spell at Liverpool, I’d say he was lucky to get any top tier club. He was a bigger sick note than Sturridge, and possibly one the most underwhelming signings we’ve made, given what was expected of him.

He will have to prove that he can consistently do it at Bremen week in week out without breaking down with some injury before any bigger club will take a chance on him again. His time with Liverpool was disappointing to say the least and with his injury record he's too big a risk, he's very lucky Bremen are prepared to take the risk on him, if he stays fit it'll look like a bargain for them, and even if he continues to pick up injuries the outlay isn't huge, so they can probably carry that. Just happy he's no longer our problem.

People forget too Keita was bought a season before he arrived, Klopp had to have him before his release clause was active. Total flop

• Advertisement

But I reckon he could well get 15 or more assists from midfield anyway - with no need for a midfielder to cover. Put an actual RB in place, which should improve our defence, since Trent's actual defending is clearly the worst part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

There's also no Salah.

Like I said it'd be interesting to see that type of set up in a cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

People definitely forget that Klopp wanted him for 17/18 helkter skelter Liverpool and not the 19/22 control Liverpool which he joined. The team he was meant to play with evolved before he was able to play with them.

He didn't have the injury problems before he moved to England but obviously the physical side to the Premier League affected him a lot and his body broke down due to demands placed on him. Maybe he would have been fine in the other version, we'll never know.

I'm willing to die on the hill of being him a good player when fit, but overall I have to say he was a flop because of the number of games missed especially the season just gone when he really had to step up but never did after a promising finish to last season.

He was extremely good when fit imo.

You really saw what he brought to the table in terms of driving forward and creating space ahead of him.

Attitude in the last season seemed poor tho.

• Advertisement

Agree.

That Palace performance is up there with the worst I've ever seen from any Liverpool player. And it that wasn't down to ability, it was attitude. I think Klopp decided there and then that he was not getting a new contract, if it was not decided before that. Maybe it was a reaction to not getting a new deal. Either way, it stunk.

His injuries was a surprise but it doesn't matter how good is he was if he didn't play. Sturridge for me would of been one of our best strikers ever but he just couldn't stay fit.

Sturridge at least had some credit in the bank from the season where we went close to winning the league and it was incredibly frustrating that we never got a decent run our of him again, but,I wouldn'treallyquestionhis attitude, think he was more frustrated himself that his body was letting him down. Keita didn't really do an awful lot, he missed large parts of the season we won the league, from memory his best spell was when we returned from lockdown, was our best player in the games after lockdown but, these games didn't really matter as the league had already been long won at that stage, think he got injured at the start of the next season. I don't think anyone really questioned his ability, but, his attitude and work rate at times were questionable, also rarely completed a full 90 mins which is not really a good point for an elite player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I have to be honest, I haven't seen much of McAllister as Ive stopped watching all football except our games the past few years...since we won the league behind closed doors actually. Lost my passion for it after suffering through that having waited 30 years to experience a title win and all that entails...

Anyway point is I haven't seen much. Was working through all the world cup too as it coincided with EPT Prague due to it taking place in the winter. I only saw the final. So I wouldn't say I'm underwhelmed, I'm optimistic. I've heard alot of good things about him, he is clearly a very good player but as long as he is not the only midfielder we sign that can instantly challenge for a first team spot I'm happy enough. Just can't really give an opinion on him either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

But didn't he get 7 or 8 assists in something like 10 games in his new hybrid role?? I've never been one shouting for TAA to move permanently to midfield but having seen what he can do there I say leave him there. He will be our KDB there, he has every kind of pass in his arsenal not just whipping in crosses from the right. KDB does plenty of whipping in crosses for city in his current position but he, like Trent, can also do so much more and I'm beginning to think that alot of Trent's talent and ability is wasted at RB.

Feyenoord's Orkan Kokcu was a reported player of interest up until a couple of weeks ago. He has traveled to Lisbon and is expected to have a medical with Benfica tomorrow. The transfer fee is reported to be €30M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There seems to be too much navel gazing when it comes to looking back at Naby Keita's time at Liverpool. It was a disappointment that he was not available for more matches, but he was injury prone before we bought him. So it was not the Premier League that broke him, we took a chance on a player for his quality.

You also need to think about the fact that the 2 seasons where we were dog crap is also the 2 seasons where he played 8 and 10 matches. The others we pushed City to the title or won it. Now some may say correlation isn't causation which is true, but the assertion that he was only good for us when we won the title after the lockdown seems misguided as well. When we lost to Watford 3-0, he wasn't playing. So you cannot blame him for that unless you want to blame his absence as the reason. Then when football returned we lost 2 matches and you know who was in the starting line-up those matches? Not Keita. When we drew against Burnley at home to lose the 100% record that season, he again did not start.

He was very good when he got a run in the team but this was too rare and this was the biggest disappointment with Keita. But to call him a flop is a little over the top.

Naby Keita. Flopped badly

Mad stat. He has one of the highest win ratios at 70%. Is anyone higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Looking at his stats for the two Red Bull teams and comparing them to us, big drop off in numbers, he was more injury prone with Liverpool.

He was a flop, cost too much for not enough output on the pitch.

Yeah, he went from like two to nine in the last ten games with the role change.

I think that did coincide with us having bodies back and a slightly easier run of fixtures as well.

I just didn't love the balance of the team or the performances over that spell. Would rather try to replicate the older system.

When he's RB in the older system he was able to be much further forward than he was for much of this season as well.

• Advertisement

Keita missed a combined 12 games in 4 seasons for Salzburg & Leipzig. That's not injury prone.

That ramped up to 11, 20, 28, 8 & 38 in each of his seasons for Liverpool. That is injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I don't know why people are bending over backwards to excuse Keita he's been a massive disappointment and good riddance to him.

There's a good player in there somewhere but I'm not sure the mental side of him was up to it.

I don't think it's excuses.

When he played, I saw the value, I saw the player we could have had of he could stay fit.

It doesn't change the fact he was a poor signing and last season the perception of poor attitude crept in to boot.

Perhaps the training programme at Liverpool should have been tailored so as to not break him. Klopp's training pushes the players to their physical limits, if there are any niggling muscle issues it's likely that they will be a problem. Such issues don't go away, they increase the risk of injury over time and is part of a pattern we have repeatedly seen with players in the squad.

This season the number of hamstring injuries suffered by the Liverpool squad dwarfed previous seasons.

Keita is one of several players in the squad that have had hip/pelvis related issues. Others include Henderson, Konate, Matip and Thiago. Such issues are one of the known factors in recurring hamstring injuries because they cause reduced flexibility, two other factors listed are fatigue (inadequate recovery time) and style of play (counter pressing).

Some variables are beyond control, e.g. a player having an underlying issue or a previous injury that wasn't properly treated. The playing style is a factor that could be changed but it seems ridiculous to do so given that it's part of the manager and his team's identity. That leaves fatigue as a known variable that can be measured and which the training schedule has direct influence upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

This.

Bloke didn't try hard enough when he was on the pitch, no matter how long it had been since his last injury. Try and think of a game where Keita played well without disappearing for half of it. I'd say there was 5, tops, and at least 3 of those were in 21/22.

Who's bending over backwards to excuse him? That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Everyone is pretty much on the same page as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It'll still be 433.

Midfield revamped, but I can't see a 4231. It's just not Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anything is better than the 4-0-3 we played with for most of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seen some German journo linking us with Pavard off Bayern, him at RB and Trent into midfield?

• Advertisement

Pavard can play CB as well so provides cover for multiple positions. Matip would 100% be gone if he's coming in though as we've only two more free spots for non homegrown players.

Advertisement