Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭paulbok

A friend sent me a quote to look at today, at first it looked really good to me, but with the recent vat removal is it still?

14 X 425w Jinko panels (5.95kWp)

Kstar hybrid inverter (didn't give size but expect it to be 4.8/5kW)

Hot water diverter.

WiFi monitoring kit

Total cost €7800 after grant.

Optional battery +€2400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Hi folks,

Have a quote from a reputable company (who has done jobs for a few friends) for a 7.31Wp system.

My first question and pardon me if this is the wrong thread but is a 7.31Wp system a high level? I've no idea reading online as seeing a lot of stuff in relation to america etc. Last year i used just over 5500kwh according to my smart electricity metre so i'm above the national average so trying to gauge what size would be best.

The option quoted was as follows:

7.31Wp System using Solaredge

17No. Jinko N-Type 430W Full Black Panels

1No. Solaredge HD Wave 5kW Inverter

17No. Solaredge S440 Power Optimizers

1No. Solaredge Energy Meter

2No. Shunt Switch

1No. MyEnergi Eddi

1No. Roof Mounting Kits

1No. ESB NC6 Notification

1No. Supply, Installation, Test and Commission

1No. 2 Year Workmanship Warranty

Total Cost= €13,550.00 includes VAT@0% (this figure does not take into account the 2,400 grant)

To include Solaredge 10kWh Energy Bank= €21,850.00 includes VAT (same as above)

Thoughts on the system in general and of course the price?

I'm also torn on installing the battery or not. Initially i thought not to as i can sell back to the grid but in the future if i ever have an EV it would come in very handy to have the battery back up. The question is is it worth an extra 7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Using the David Hunt Solar Quote Analyser

The value of the grant for this size array would be 2400. Using the rule of thumb of €1000 per kW of panels, €420 per kWh of battery, and say €600 for the Eddi, that should be about €6550 for that system (after grant). But it's only a rule of thumb. Just don't go above €1300 per kW of panels and €550 per kWh battery (ex VAT), which would give you €8335 after grant. Your quote of €7800 is at the upper end of the recommended range. Get a few more quotes.

Assume that battery is 5kwh so €2400 is again slight over recommended price

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

When you say "Reputable " does that mean they overcharged your friends too...

That's a very high quote. I'd question why so many optimisers are needed.

Get more quotes and run away from this crowd. Are they Active in the community??🤔

Check out the installers thread for companies to get quotes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Pretty sure Solar edge systems are designed in tandem with their own brand of optimisers. ie you can't install the inverter on its own without panels having optimizers. Not 100% if that applies to all their inverters though.

Cheers for the reply trying to get my head around the solar needs and general do's and don't's.

I wasn't sure what to expect for the quote as I've a large roof and the fact they quoted for 17 panels so I thought it was par for the course. I will definitely query the amount of optimisers though I just assumed I'd need everything listed.

I have another quote coming next week so not going to rush into anything.

Post edited by jones on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

You generally only need optimisers if panels are shaded or you have more than 2 orientations and even then there are ways to avoid having to use them like paralleling strings afaik.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Drop the eddi. That will save you 650 euro.

13550-2400-650 (with grant and without eddi) leaves you at 10500 (1436euro per kWp of panels.)

SolarEdge is solution that requires each panel to be optimized; it’s just how it works. You get visibility of each panels performance. This is ideal if some of your panels are pointing in different orientations. It’s a quality product the company is listed on the NASDAQ.

Solar edge 5kW inverter is 1020 euro.

energy meter is 185

17 solar edge optimisers are 880 euro .

17xjinko 430W panels is 2400

cables and isolation switches 400 euro

racking 500

total 5385 (round up to 5500 euro) in materials.

so the installer is grossing 13550 - the 5500 in materials; leaves them with net 8000 euro for 1-2 days work.

the material costs for other systems will be very similar; but most other systems won’t require the optimisers (so will be 880 euro less on materials) Tell us a little more about your roof to allow us make a determination if any are needed at all. Get more quotes.

cost price of the 10kWh SolarEdge battery is about 6k. FYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

"Drop the eddi. That will save you 650 euro.

13550-2400-650 (with grant and without eddi) leaves you at 10500 (1436euro per kWp of panels.)"

Is this still not almost 50% more expensive per kWp than is recommended and being gotten at the moment?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

For general do's and don't.....there is a FAQ (which probably doesn't get referenced or read enough). Have a read of that, even without solar it will give you a good grounding.

Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

7Kwp of panels is on the larger size, but not the biggest. The biggest you can get, without going outside the normal kit, is about 9.6Kwp. (24 panels x 400w). While you can get systems as low as 400w, usually the smaller systems are about 3-4kwp, with 5-6Kwp being a solid average spec. If your an average house of 4500Kwhr/year you'd be pretty well served by 5-6Kwp. If your above that which you say you are, then 7Kwp wouldn't be a bad marker.

Basically as many panels as you can fit/afford is the advice. The reason is, is that there are many "marginal" months like Feb or Nov where your panels will only be giving you like 30% of the production in May/June.

That’s why I gave them the cost breakdown and the recommendations to get more quotes.

When is the last time someone posted a 1000 euro per kWp quote here? I honestly don’t remember seeing it. Not being smart; would love to see it to see what kind of system they were supplying.

Thanks for the detailed reply really appreciate all the feedback folks. I will get more quotes.

In terms of my roof the largest part of the roof is East/West facing sides with a much smaller South facing section. The original quote had 8 panels on the west side and 6 on the East with 3 on the South facing side (which is probably all that would fit to be fair).

Simulation as below.

ok. Do you have any shading on any of them roofs? Dormer windows? Trees? Chimneys?

In this case where you have panels pointing in 3 different orientations; you would benefit from the solar edge system. It’s designed for these exact situations with its panel level optimisation. So I don’t have any issue with this supplier quoting this system in this case.

I don’t agree that if you get a bad quote you should just abandon it; that’s not how business works in my opinion. Ask them to remove the eddi and see what the price drops to; and then use the information that I have provided above to negotiate a better price to get to a better euro / kWp ratio.

get more quotes and see what they come back with; I bet most will avoid putting panels on all 3 roof surfaces.

Yes there's a tallish chimney on the South side roof (of course there would be ha). No other shading on any other side of the roof.

In terms of the Eddie I know economically it might not make that much sense but I like the idea of "free" hot water for 6/7/8 months of the year with a one off payment. For a relatively small saving to drop it would it not be worth getting it?

Again thanks for the advice this thread is a great resource particularly for newbies like me.

I’m terms of driving down the price of the quote drop it. You can always ask them to add it back once you figure out if they are charging a reasonable amount for it. What if they drop the price by 800 euro for example; you could get better value for money from someone else. It’s a very easy job to fit an eddi and it can be done anytime by any electrician; or even a DIY job if you fancy it with a tiny bit of research on YouTube.

And to be honest with the feed in rates they are at the moment; it’s better to export the excess units and get paid for them than using them to heat water. If you use the credits you get from feedin (you will have a lot of feed in with a system that size in May-Aug 4-5 euro per day on average) to use gas or oil to heat at the moment. If feed in rates drop you can always reassess and get the eddi.

to be honest your situation seems like it’s really well suited to a SolarEdge setup. If you had of came back and said I have a massive south facing roof with no shadows and that’s where all the panels are going it would be different. But with 3 different orientations and chimney shadow on south facing roof it sounds like SolarEdge is a good fit.

if you have a aerial photo of your roof (dm it to me if you don’t want to clutter up this thread I’ll give you a better opinion having seen the roof).

get some more quotes and report back with what they are saying. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Hi all,

Reading through the quotes here. People are saying the cost price is x. What is not mentioned is operating costs for a business, such as wages, PRSI, van, insurance, premises, tax, etc..., all of which are significant.

In addition a company has to cut a profit, so if the cost price of rmaterials is say 5k, is it reasonable for a company to charge 5k, + operating costs of say 2k, + profit say 2k. Total 9k less grant of 2.4k, 6.6k, net for install. I think this is reasonable.

I have no affiliation with installers, just pointing out how a business operates. The bigger the business, the higher the operational costs as there are more layers to fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Well said. I'd agree. I expect to get well paid for my day job. So I can't expect my installer to throw up extra panels on the day just paying for the panels.

And they need a sales team, admin, invoicing...Not just the 2 roofers and a sparks.

People can go DIY if they feel they are being ripped off. I paid an installer.

• Advertisement

+1 on that.

I've done both. Paid an installer to put in my first installation up on the main roof and did the 2nd smaller one myself. It was fun. I think the issue (and I've said this before) isn't so much about installers making a profit, it's about them making an outrageous profit at my or your expense. We absolutely WANT them to make a profit. People don't get this, but it's in our best interest that they make money. We want that so they are in business in 6 month or 18 months time to support you and/or possible be involved with future expansion.

The problem with the formula is that it's not a binary thing. People think that it is - and it doesn't work that way. They compute €1,005/kwp and then feel "Ohh, I'm being overcharged" and move on. That's not what it's for. It's only a guideline figure, so people who don't know (or want to know) the ecosystem can guage a quote price. If your paying 30-40% over the guideline figure then move on, but if your closer to the guide you know where you are at.

There are a lot of big companies very active in the market place advertising and quoting prices which are absurd, and yet, even those prices/installations will break even eventually. Might be 15+ years, but unless your an idiot, solar is generally one of the better investments you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Down to these

Quote 1

Inverter Alpha 5kWp Inverter

Panels 17 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

6.8 kW Total Solar Power (If they can't fit all 17 each panel is -€300)

Battery Alpha ESS 10.1kWh storage

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

€11,600 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Additional Extras MDF Fireboard Wall: €180

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

1. Warranty Extension for the Alpha Inverter from 5 years to 10 years (Recommended): €350

2. EDDI Hot Water Diverter: €650

So in total cost to me of €12,430 (€12,780 if i go with the longer warranty) + BER

Quote 2

Inverter Solis 5kW Hybrid Battery Inverter

Panels 17 x Longi 405W Black Frame White Backsheet

6.8 kW Total Solar Power

Battery Weco 5.3KwHr with wifi/bluetooth + Solis adapter cable

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Eddi

€10,492 Final Cost after Grant Incentive + BER

a Second battery looks to be €2,250

So in total cost to me of €12,742 + BER for a comparative quote to the first

I'm inclined to go with the first quote, as with the longer warranty on the inverter they're very close

They ended up getting the above, with 1 battery and not getting the eddi, for €9400 after the grant.

AFAIK they took off the Eddi and gave a small discount to make up what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Btw, any warranty on kit will be from the manufacturer, not the installer unless you have that in writing. That said a longer warranty is a positive sign the manufacture believes they are keep their kit working that long. So might indicate it’s better than others. Or could be a marketing way to sell more.

And in the ~1.5 years I’ve been active here I don’t see much kit failing. Several inverters have died but due to mistakes on DIY setups. Possible others have failed but people haven’t reported it here of course. Solar panels can’t really break unless there is physical damage (tile falling in a storm). No moving parts in the panel. 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Folks got a quote the other day, let me know your thoughts.

5.88kw system

Jinko 420 panels

Inverter, Growatt 5kw

14 panels - no battery

€8500

Any tips on what to look out for?

Also qualify for the grant.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Hi all, this is a great thread.

Which of the following three quotes would you consider the best? All prices are after the grant has been taken off. For quote 1, I didn't think optimisers would be necessary as the panels will be on one roof with little to no shading. I can always have them excluded (9 x €60 = €540).

Quote 1 7.5kW (18 x 420W Jinko), Huawei inverter 5kW, 9 optimisers, BER Included €9140

Quote 2 7.4kW (18 x 410W Jinko), Solis Inverter 5kw, BER Included. €9970

Quote 3 6.88kW (16 x 430W Jinko), SAJ H1-6K-S2 Inverter, No BER. €8391

Each and every comment on the above will be appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement