Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Glad of the warmth up on the north coast. The sea breezes kept us cooler for the last couple of weeks, but today is warm. Very pleasant day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Strong smell of Petrichor following a light shower. Unmistakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭obi604

I learnt a new word today :)

“Petrichor” is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

North Waterford - not much use commenting without a locality. Lashing here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Unbelievable to be honest just how ridiculously warm the seas are around Ireland and continue to be in future with no cool down in sight. These are what we would usually see following an exceptional warm July, not mid-June..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It’s not something I check too often but that’s a crazy temperature range for Donegal alone. Do you know the what the record sea temperature for us is?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

I suspect these warmer sea temps will help keep this summer above average temperature wise. At the least it should help keep the overnight minimums up.

Decently sunny here now in County Antrim helping to raise the temperatures a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think with these unusually warm sea temperatures if we do get a set up for a heatwave or plume in July I can see our all time high temperature record being broken.

The M4 buoy to the west of Donegal has an absolute record of 20.0C according to the Met data but unknown which July this was recorded (sometime from 2007-2022 anyway). I see plenty of conflicting sources with these SSTs - for example, Meteociel is like 3-4 degrees colder than what that Met chart shows for Thursday next week. Doesn't make it any less extreme though.

Warming up here pretty nicely at the moment with the stronger sunshine. Feels to be in the low twenties now. Mid level clouds that were totally flat earlier showing some signs of bubbling up a bit now

• Advertisement

I'll enjoy it while it lasts lol. That huge clump of cloud in the Irish sea between west of Wales seems to have it's eyes on here and it's wasting no time moving north.

No rain so far, we might escape with nothing today, but between now and Tuesday we will surely get some. By the way exactly how many mm of rain is needed for proper growth to start again? Also speaking of warm sea temperatures how much warmer would they have to get for a tropical storm to stay intact over us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Pleasant warmth of the last few weeks being replaced by humid muck. Some may rejoice at that but personally I detest it.

Funny you mention that, Ophelia is on the list of names again this year 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Big band of rain coming from SW of the UK and heading straight for Wicklow. Met Eireann forecasting <5% chance of rain for my area this afternoon but I reckon it's about 95% certain! The one day I have visitors since March, typical!

I don't like it either. I had to come inside from working because I was sweating too much and the humidity has not got going properly yet. The worse thing is there will be little escape in the evenings now either. I can't wait till we get fresher air again but hopefully not unsettled with it. In fairness now I know how those who hate cold weather feel when they see me and others gung how for colder weather in winter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Think this is the warmest day so far in Dublin, no cold wind finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just getting on plane (to go to Greece/Kos) and the rain has just started. 🤭 First rain I have seen for weeks.

See ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That plane looks like its from the 70s, god speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Raining for past 3 hours here amounting to 2.2mm of rain. Just enough to wet you but not enough for the land. Annoying eh?

Don't think record warm for East completely out of the question but quite a long shot in fairness.

As is happening globally there'll be plenty of other records broken at stations this year before it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Holy crap, get off that plane and get on the one behind it. Monk is right and even the yoke bringing the stairs into it is rusty and looks like Thunderbirds.

LOL! The plane is a modern A320 and is just painted in an Aer Lingus historic livery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its EI-DVM which first flew in 2011. Painted in Retro livery. Ryanair had one done in a Dreamliner livery ,EI-DCL, but is now back in regular Ryr scheme. Anyway enough of my waffling on.

Castlebar today is rather dull with not enough rain falling to wet the ground. Big disappointment on recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Feeling very humid today here in carrick 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heard it's been heavy drizzle all day in cork :( I'm over in Manchester for the weekend and it's hit 30 degrees and having cocktails outside! Looks like I picked a good weekend to leave again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ha!

Well overdue, the place is parched, only sign of the rainwater now is in the ponds. Looks like the convection produced the rain after passing over the Reeks. A very hit and miss affair for days to come yet.

Inserted my reading from manual gauge. 😀

EDIT: Just to add AROME did very well picking up the heavy rain over Kerry.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nice rain in Galway this morning. Well needed. Does anyone know how long that dry spell was for Galway? Felt like 3 weeks of zero rain. Incredible period of weather, memorable.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement