Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Picked up a half ton of 10/10/20 in a merchant with river in the name. €570/ton today.

Was €760/ton a month ago

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

Urea at €530 per tonne today.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Gudstock

Are ye spreading away for 2nd cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Spread yesterday 55-57 ( 3 big bags on 15 acres) units PU to the acre for second cut. There was rain forecast. We got 4-6 mm this morning early. Supposed to get another 6mm between later today and tomorrow night. More important it's cool and over cast this morning.

Spread a half ton of 18-6-12 on grazing ground. One paddock that was closed for silage goes back into the grazing rotation this time. It got about a bag and a half of 18's.

Projected to get about 30mm in total over the next week. Hoping for a bit more than that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Based on past dry spells it will take at least 3 weeks for growth to recover once we get a sufficient amount of rain. I am leaving slurry and fertilizer alone for the moment. The fields are going yellow. Need a good wetting now.

My silage ground is cut two weeks. There is a bare greening in the fields( basically the two leaves that come first. On silage ground all the N would be used up. Grass need N when the two leaves are up to power on. If the rain keeps coming in 3-5 mm showers then the fields will be well greened up in two weeks. The N is in the ground( no trace of it today) so the showers expected today and tomorrow will wash it further in. The showers projected for next week will mean I have a green cover in ten days time.

I cannot see 2-3 inches of rain in the next 2-3 weeks if it dose rain like that I am looking at second cut the start of the 4th week in July. Putting fertilizer out with too much rain forecast can cause fertilizer to wash away.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Agree. Even my lawn is struggling and that was never the case before. A small sup of rain this morning here - wouldn’t wet a stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

CAN available locally for €360 today.

CAN e450, protected urea 46% e540 and 18 6 12 is e580 at private merchant in south west.

Kerry agri is e530 for CAN, e690 for protected urea and e660 for 18 6 12.

• Advertisement

9mm of rain here this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

18-6-12+S €530 North Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

North tipp also quoted 490 for 18’6 12 with sulphur …can 350’….and it’ll drop again v soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Have been lazy about shopping around for fertiliser of late but everyone talks about my co-op being expensive. Feck them anyway and the way they treat me. Looking forward to buying somewhere else Monday morning. Worst paying co-op on a regular basis also.

Have been lazy about shopping around for fertiliser of late but everyone talks about my co-op being expensive. Feck them anyway and the way they treat me. Looking forward to buying somewhere else Monday morning. Worst paying co-op on a regular basis also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

On stubble after a long dry spell many years ago I put 2 cwt urea/acre. Totally unexpectedly 3 inches of rain fell over the following 24/48 hours.

I got a bumper crop. If any N washed away it was minimal.

Stubble is usually flat ground. A lot of beef especially is variable ground. My system is all paddock based. 10 of the acres no problem no issue. The rest is sloped. Stubble ground as well break up well in dry weather and is more pouras. On sloped group the real problem is it all gets washed to lower valley's on the ground

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I gave 400 for CAN yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

I gave 567 for 18:6:12+s in dairygold yesterday

looks like the dry spell is ending. Grass will absolutely bomb over the next fortnight that has got fertlizer. As the sayings goes it will not grow in the anything in the bag.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Hopefully you are right. I will give it a chance for a few days to recover before we put anything out. We have very light land so it will need a chance to recover before pushing it Abit.

Priced 23-2.5-10+s @ 595 euro this morning. That's the closest they had to pasture sward

18 6 12 over 100/tonne cheaper and more bang for you buck with it

Bought grassland pasture sward with sulphur for 540 euro. Target was 530. Cash prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

25 .2.5. 10 + s ... 520

28. 2.5 . 5 + s .....510

Don't know what brand , waste of time asking my 2 main suppliers. Still quoting telephone numbers .

Your same area as main and one oF main suppliers would wreck your head ….different reps quoting different prices on same day and often a sizeable difference for same product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I bought 10-10-20 this morning at €530, it’s home, spread, grass seeds are in and it’s being rolled as I type!

CAN is €360

SulphaCan €370/€375.

All from John Grennans.

I was going to do a few days at pig slurry this week, not worth the hassle with fertiliser at them prices as some of it would be a 4 mile draw so about 45 mins per load. I’ll go light with my own slurry and SulphaCan on top.

Possible further cuts mid week , I'm holding out until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Do merchants have to shift on old stock before they can sell newer cheaper stock, or how does it work?

• Advertisement

The guy I'm on to is a small time indy operator and holds very little stock. Win some lose some with that arrangement .

Our genius of a coop filled sheds with the most expensive stock last year with the excuse that a scarcity was pending . Heard one of the reps sold an artic load and passed the order on to the haulier. The haulier went to the depot as he was passing and would work on a backload.

Depot refused to load him as they had instructions no further purchases until old stock was moved. Haulier couldn't manage that for a couple of days, and the farmer told the coop to stick it and bought elsewhere .

Advertisement