Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Not a good look either for Harry giving evidence when he is saying words to the effect of I can't recall or you'd have to ask my legal team. He is the one giving his evidence, his legal team can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I reckon Harry knows his chances of a successful outcome for him are slim to none- I’d say his presence there was related to a number of factors:

1. Something to put into his next documentary series
    2. His presence alone gave the wider court case increased focus and attention
    3. A chance for him to mouth off at the press in a court room setting
    4. A way to show support to others taking their case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

When he was editor of the Mirror, yes. The former Editor (Andy Coulson) of the News of the World got jail (18 months) for his part in phone hacking. Features editors also got jail time (6 months). No wonder the Assistant editor of the Mirror is denying knowing anything (despite hiring PIs on 800 occasions). Not once did she wonder how they got their information. She is not much of an investigative journalist, is she 😉

Charles had a spokesperson who would pass on info. There is a particular instance recounted in Harry book about Charles supposed dealing with Harry's drug use which was complete fiction to make Charles look good (so no need for me to inform Harry and his legal team about that). Charles was using Harry to rehab his image as a good father when in fact Harry was sent off to boarding school a couple of days after his mother's funeral and Charles didn't see him for 6 months!

The Royals employ spin doctors. Charles's current spin doctor is a former Royal Reporter from the Daily Mail.

This case is unusual in that neither Harry's KC or the Mirror's QC requested her to attend. It was the judge that called her. Harry's QC stated that she was a hostile witness.

• Advertisement

Nope. In the real world the Editor is responsible for the content of his newspaper.

Legal team have the information/documents to back-up what he claims. That could be an invoice from a PI/photograph/statement from other journalists. Harry isn't the one on trial here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And just to highlight something, having watched HIGNFY this evening, I’m being very generous here in my assessment of his appearance and the rationale - I do hope Harry and his team have the tenacity or whatever word you wish to place on that action, to not fck things up, if things don’t go “Harry’s Way”- which as an aside, should be made into a cocktail : so the big question is:

How do you make a “Harry’s Way” cocktail ????

And yes, I’m biding my time till “the verdict”- please play along as opposed to some arse-hole comment like “how could you torture Harry the way you’re doing???”

Answer: Too fcking easily now seriously get lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Why am I not surprised the usual suspects on here are trying to defend the tabloids, Piers Morgan and the media’s despicable behaviour. The media clearly hacked people’s phones and private messages, this case isn’t just Harry taking it, there are others including Elton John. People should always be entitled to their privacy and there’s a clear breach of it here. The media should always be held to account for overstepping and also misrepresenting.

Piers Morgan has been preaching about how ‘awful’ Harry and Meghan are for years, and now from this court case I find out he’s been involved in phone hacking to gain stories of Harry and William as young men, who had lost their mother to the media. Even after Diana’s death and the tragedy of it all at the media and tabloids hands, this is how he behaved. How could anyone listen to him preach his nonsense after this, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Not to mention his behaviour towards Diana and Charles, etc before Diana’s death. Despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The article you posted publicises again some of Diana’s torrid affairs with married men. I didn’t know the half of the awful things she was up to until Harry started ‘defending’ her, he’s doing a great job raking up all the muck on his mother. She’d be so ‘proud’ :/

• Advertisement

Diana’s personal life was publicised all over the media long before Harry took this case along with others, he’s not the one who hacked her phone and reported on the affairs, the media did. Do you have the same distain for Elton John taking this case? Or the media in their behaviour?

Edit: Here is another example of what the U.K. media did to this poor girl and the character assassination they engaged in in relation to the case:

Former Coronation Street actress Nikki Sanderson tells court she had hair set on fire over portrayal in Mirror papers

And we’ve plenty of posters on here posting hate articles from the media on a daily basis in relation to Harry and particularly Meghan swallowing all the nonsense being fed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And what about Harry and Megan's behaviour? The racism allegation that's now been downplayed as 'unconscious bias', revealing personal details about his family and their disagreements in interviews and books?

I haven't defended the tabloids or Piers Morgan, but I can see the hypocrisy in Harry complaining about the invasion of his privacy when he makes money from doing the same to his own family. I'm fairly sure I read here that he even had texts from Catherine in his book. Is it OK when he does it to others?

Your post has nothing to do with the court case or call out the media’s behaviour at all despite the article I posted re the Coronation Street actress, duly noted. Instead it’s a ‘But Meghan and Harry are bad evil people…’ justification.

I’m tired of arguing with those like yourself who believe the tabloid’s narrative, even after what this case has highlighted in the above article I posted about the poor woman’s portrayal by the media.

Kate, the Royal family and the media all published countless articles claiming Meghan made her cry, repeatedly coming up to and for years after Meghan’s wedding. They only stopped when Harry finally posted proof in his book. He wouldn’t have had to do that had they not published lie after lie claiming it was Meghan.

I don’t hold Harry and Meghan up on pedestals either, they’re quite daft in my opinion but that’s all. They’re nowhere near the level deserving of such constant hate articles, dehumanising them, even threatening like Clarkson’s in December.

You take Harry at his word and say people here are taking tabloids at their word. What makes you think he is telling the truth? They are all spinning narratives here.

Who made who cry. He devoted three pages in his book to that nonsense. Three pages of 400. It is that kind of self-involvement about such completely trivial nonsense that both attracts the attention of tabloids and invites ridicule on the both of them. So they wanted the palace press office to correct the story. If they did that then where does it stop? Do they have to address every little puff piece critical of two working royals? I think that is exactly what they wanted and from his court case I get the impression from Harry that he is quite happy for the free press to report away freely but it would be beneficial to all that if they can't report anything nice about them and others then they shouldn't report that at all. Be Kind etc. Yeah that'll convince the socipathic, psychotic people in the press from eeking out a buck and using whatever unsavoury means they can to get stories regardless of peoples mental health and well being. The press is a monster that needs managing not a deluded quest to slay it.

Is it unreasonable to hold two simultaneous opinions in thinking that British tabloids are utterly toxic and the Sussexes are utter hypocrites?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bring me up the speed: haven’t been following Harry’s trial, but is it much ado about nothing? He’s clutching at straws to try show some illegal dastardly deed?

The thread is about Harry and Megan, not Coronation Street stars.

I was warned before for going off topic, but if you want to discuss the other claimant start a thread and I'll happily contribute.

Back to my point - Harry and Megan are hypocrites and make their money from that hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bring me up the speed

As the prince himself used to say in his wild youth....

He hasn't proved with any compelling evidence that he was hacked by the Mirror Group. He cannot remember some articles that he claims "distressed" him. He didn't have a mobile at the time he claims it was hacked. He has admitted a grudge against the press that predates the articles in question. Much of the information in the articles was already in the public domain - some of it provided by Diana. He appears to suggest that that every article he didn't like must have been obtained by illegal or "suspicious" means. In essence, he was trying to draw inference for hacking but without any hard evidence.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This thread doesn’t even get bumped on a “daily basis” and phone hacking has by no means been proven here in this case. Gawker having hulk hogans sex tape didn’t mean they had everyone’s sex tapes, after all. This “usual suspects” angle you have is droll and does nothing to get Harry out of his sticky wicket of having to actually prove things in court.

How is it off topic? The case in question is Harry’s court case which is being discussed. Examples given are other star’s testimony which will have a bearing on the case and the outcome.

@valoren You made a reasonable point that the British media are toxic and you’re entitled to your opinion re Harry and Meghan. However their treatment at the hands of the media is not normal in my opinion which I am also entitled to have.

@Overheal Your post is more of the same without making any new points. It’s already been pointed out on this thread Harry doesn’t need to provide evidence similar to a Criminal trial and is taking this case with multiple other celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don’t look now but you’re not making any new points. He still hasn’t shown his phone was hacked in any way. Hasn’t even convinced the court of public opinion.

How would you like articles written about you spread across the front page of the Irish Independent such as 'Valoren had Kissing Disease'' (when Harry was sick with glandular fever. How do you think you would feel about that as a 14 year old to be regularly splashed all over the paper?

Except in a YouGov poll last week in the UK, 73% of the people believed that the information published by the tabloids was illegally obtained.

I saw a clip of an interview of one of the former editors of one of the tabloids where he said that the RF are funded by the public so that they are not entitlted to any privacy. He even said that Charles got much rougher treatment by the tabloids, so Harry should not complain.

Its a while since I've seen such cold calculation from anyone, absolutely no humanity. Obviously psychopaths.

Discussing other claimants isn't relevant to Harry's case, I've been warned for less.

I see you've ignored the hypocrisy again.

What 73% of polled people think is irrelevant, it's not a game of Family Fortunes.

Tabloids have hacked phones before, no one is disputing that. The problem for Harry is he claimed his phone was hacked a year before he got his first one, it was proven that some stories that were apparently the result of hacking had appeared in other publications before etc. He hasn't been convincing unlike the lady who gave evidence after him.

If I was arguably the most famous 14 year old in the country? I'd like to think given such fame that I'd be surrounded by people (friends, family, advisors, staff) telling me why such an article is written in the first place. (Hint: I am a famous 14 year old).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Criticising someone’s behaviour isn’t hate. Making millions by revealing private details of your relatives is hateful in my book. What makes what Harry did any worse than the tabloids? The papers never published anything about Williams genitals, his brother did that. He’s a journalist!

Advertisement