Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bringing back the pre covid 747 as a 24hr route & restarting the aerDART shuttle would go a long way to alleviating public transport issues while Metrolink is built. Biggest mistake Ireland made from an infrastructure perspective was not ploughing ahead with it in 2009, should have made its completion a condition of repaying German bondholders in full.

As an aside, its desperate that the last major infrastructure project opened in 2017 (Luas cross city) and we haven't had anything material come online in the 6 years since then bar the second runway arguably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Not gouging motorists is a function of the number of spaces and not the landing charges. If DAA provide cheap parking without providing eniugh of it then motorists would be gouged by not being able to get in unless they booked 6 months ahead.

The competition authroity invesitgation is fine, but someone should have insisted that the Quickpark was leased out to operators over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is going to be the N8 orbital PSO bus service under BusConnects, linking the Airport and Clongriffin DART station every 30 minutes. That is in a later phase, originally due to start in 2024.

Bear in mind that the 747 was a commercial unsubsidised bus route.

Who are you expecting to provide this service, especially as it would be operating against the commercial Dublin Express routes 782 & 784 which operate roughly every 15 and 30 minutes, and more importantly where are they going to find the drivers to operate it?

Bus companies across the country are finding the recruitment and retention of bus drivers to be a massive challenge right now, which is having causing major problems for expanding services. The BusConnects programme rollout is stalled because of that problem. Expecting anything dramatic to happen soon isn’t realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

I see Easy Jet have secured slots at DUB for W23. If it were to happen would they be based in T1 more than likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 kelso00

Ideally, DAA should be stripped of 2 out of 3 (green/red/blue) car parks - which should be handed to independent private operators for sake of competition. We are currently, effectively in the monopoly situation with obvious price gauging and take over of QP will only worsen the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Competition only works when you have enough others willing to actually compete (i.e. push prices down). If others aren't willing to compete or cease operating for any reason, you can be left in a worse position. A better solution would be to stop gouging at source and limit the price which can be charged. IAA could regulate DAAs parking prices like they do with passenger charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Fantastic! the flights of prices from the uk to many destinations is often way cheaper than from Dublin! Thats what happens when there is proper competition, not our duopoly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This has kinda happened before. Expect Ryanair to launch the exact same routes (if they don't have them already) and aggressively undercut Easyjet. Ryanair have fought tooth and nail before to prevent Easyjet getting a foothold in ROI, and I don't expect them to just allow them to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Yeah Ryanair reaction will be interesting. Previously drove out Go fly, easyJet and drove aer arann off the Dublin cork route. There are probably other examples. Although several lcc’s do operate here so not clear how they pick their enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

literally any talk of using Baldonnel or a new airport is comedy stuff! they cant even use their new runway fully! To up capacity, isnt an easy solution more afternoon flights, larger aircraft in the short term?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

i wouldn't be overly concerned at EZY v FR. They wouldn't like it but equally there are other low cost carriers at DUB and FR have not driven out.

Its x2 weekly slots (possibly x4 if narrowed to ski season) with an A320.

If they were to expand onto core bucket and spade routes in time they would arguably be a bigger nuisance for Shamrock House to deal with.

Interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Common sense this. While FR might not like it they can’t just start a new route up to fight off the competition. They have to get slots (possibly) both ends to even start a route. Ryanair have better things to be doing than fighting off EasyJet on a couple of flights per week 😆

Yeah, hopefully if they get a good set up in time to come and with talk of Jet2 having an interest in DUB also, it would bring welcome competition. That’s all wishful thinking tho me thinks 🫤

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ezy for ski season would be great, because the Fr options aren't what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

As a non-EU carrier, Jet2 would be confined to UK-Ireland routes, so I couldn't see them setting up a DUB operation. They don't have an EU-based affiliate as EZY do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

But nothings stopping them from having an Irish based affiliate and fly from Dublin to anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Other than the reality that Ryanair would €3 fares them out of existence.

They have dipped their toe here before (Cork) and left due to that. Ditto Wizzair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I was more referring to the fact that being a UK carrier isn’t that big of a hurdle! I agree Ryanair will undercut them t’fuk if they started ops here! I also agree with a previous poster that FR will stomach U2 having a couple of ski charters this winter.

True - but there is effort and cost involved. If it was simple a paper exercise every large UK operator would have done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

An Easyjet flight from Geneva to Dublin in the winter / ski season would work well. The EI flight is often very very expensive and LX too. They have a decent base there and it would be straightforward for them to fly up to Dublin with a plane for of skiers a few times a week. Geneva is a very handy location for loads of resorts in Swiss and France.

Crucially they wouldn't be competing with Ryanair on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I counted 15 aircraft in the queue to depart this morning at 07:45. How they can stand over this each morning for the rest of the month is mad! Surely swapping the times around from the late evening to the morning would be far more beneficial. The amount of unnecessary fuel burn and time wasted by thousands of people every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Also two weekly service's isn't going to hurt anyone (EI nor LX). Funnily enough post covid, pax seem to vote with flexibility and availability rather than price as demand and profits are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭AnRothar

When every airline wishes to depart at the "optimal" time something has to give.

railways typically have multiple platforms in the major stations with several tracks outside.

Aviation can be viewed as the opposite, lots of capacity once airborne but curtailed by ground infrastructure.

Some further extension of the North Runway hours is expected in July, IIRC. Whether it will be at the earlier end of the day or not, I don't know.

My pet hate is when one or two planes skip the queue and uses one of the rapid exit ways to take off like in the pic while I’m next or second to take off from the full length point on the runway!!

That's ATC management of the traffic flow. At any major airport there are multiple entry points to the departure runway so that better utilisation can be achieved or, for example, an aircraft that's tight on its slot time can be got airborne ahead of one that 's not so constrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Another reason this is done is it often improves efficiency and the movement rate. Putting smaller aircraft out ahead of larger ones means no wake turbulence separations need to be applied. If there’s an A330 and an A320 waiting to depart, getting the A320 out first is the smart thing to do if possible. Slots and what mode the runway is in (ie mixed mode meaning fitting in arrivals will space out departures anyway and thus negate wake turbulence separations) play their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Not really. I have regularly sat on a fully boarded aircraft that cannot depart due to UK ATC restrictions. e.g. not airborne before "7.45am" or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭AnRothar

The vast majority of flights are not subject to regulation (T & C's apply).

The biggest capacity constraints in aviation are ground based.

Consequently most regulations when applied relate to an ARRIVAL time which is worked back to give a "departure slot".

Slots usually apply to the major European Airports only (T & C's apply).

Even then this only for certain times of the day. Everyone wants to arrive in London/Paris/Frankfurt etc at the same "local" time.

On the ground issues occur when an aircraft with a slot has pushed and consequently blocks other aircraft which has no restriction.

Not every airport has convenient taxiways that allow constrained aircraft to be passed once they commence taxi.

Also when airlines are running late its convenient to blame ATC rather than trying to give a detailed correct explanation.

En route delays do exist/occur but are rare, again T & C's will apply.

Advertisement