Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Comfortable win looking likely for La Rochelle. Bordeaux offering next to nothing so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

It'd be a lot closer if they reviewed that forward pass try by LAR.

21-13 now .

Really poor quality game this.

Literally just watched a sequence there where they kicked the ball back and forth around 18 times.

Bordeaux a man up and 8 points down and zero ambition to play.

LAR are about as cynical a side as you’ll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

For a game that's played in glorious sunshine it's pretty sh1t.. hardly 2 passes in a row.

Really going to enjoy watching if Toulouse whip La Rochelle again.

How the hell is Maxime Lucu the second best scrum half in France?

His passing makes Luke McGrath look like Rob Howley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

LaRochelle so good with ball in hand. Bordeux had absolutely zero creativity /inetrest in playing. That passage where they wound down their own man advantage with kick tennis. Jaziz

Does Kerr Barlow not have French residency by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Luke mcgrath does look like rob howley, unfortunately the current version not the playing one.

He should be close. He’s spoken publicly in the past 12 months about playing for Australia now (the country of his birth) but haven’t seen anything about him playing for France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 chief_sim

He has already played for NZ so he can't play for another country by residency, but he can be picked by Australia because I think he was born there.

Didn't realize it was restricted to qualification by birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chief_sim

I think his eligibility for Australia falls under the same set of rules that allows Charles Piutau, Israel Folau, etc. to play for Tonga.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

France just wouldn't have any need for him and Australia wouldn't use one of their three ex-pat spots on a former All Black.

He's clearly one of the best SHs in the NH at the moment. Be surprised if no one tried to grab him

The only teams that could legally 'grab him' are New Zealand, who don't select players not playing their trade in NZ and Australia, for who he's never been capped and who have a rule preventing all but 3 overseas players togging out in green and gold. Kerevi and Koroibete are nailed on and one of Foley, Cooper and Skelton will fill the last slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

If La Rochelle were to win the T14. That really puts Ronan's stock sky high in France. Maybe someone can comment but has many Non French managers in the T14 won the league. Alot here is transfixed on Ronan coming back to Ireland but his kids are growing up in France and it might be tough to move them in secondary school. If La Rochelle keeps excelling would the French consider him as their national coach. This is a genuine question. We have had success with a number of non Irish coaches and I realise they are all English speaking but do ye reckon Ronan could be a future French national coach?

I definitely think he will coach an international team other than Ireland first. Depends on the timing of what jobs come available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

It would appear that we are going the way of the NZ model of national team coaches, and the successor to Farrell would be someone already involved in the current set up.

According to BOD on off the ball a couple of weeks ago, he thinks Farrell's successor could be Paul O Connell. (BOD did emphasise: his opinion only, not based on any insider knowledge stuff)

If that were to transpire, could you ever see ROG taking an assistant level job with the IRFU in order to get the top job someday? Maybe not if his stock does continue to rise and big job offers inevitably ensue.

I could 100% see him coach France sometime in the future. And if he ever did coach Ireland or Munster, I could also easily see that being at a time AFTER he has coached France.

• Advertisement

I think Gonzalo Quesada was the last one, in 2015 with Stade Français. Gibbes won with Clermont but wasn't head coach.

Never been a foreign coach for the national side.

I was surprised with BOD comments on Paul being the next Irish head coach. I don't honestly see it. Being a head coach involves management of the overall project not just technical on field coaching. I see Paul more as a Lancaster role, skills, motivation and tactics more person to person stuff. ROG will only be the main man going forward. In fairness a successful head coach as number 2 under a technical forwards coach just does not make sense. When I read BOD's comments on this it didn't add up and my conclusion was it was just click bait. I reckon ROG will do better with France than Ireland. The dublin media here would just be snipping at him regardless.

Would Love if Connacht got drawn against La Rochelle next season. That would be a great trip away

Realistically, there's only 3 countries he'd likely consider imo, Ireland, France or England. He wouldn't get NZ, Aus could be a possibility but that would be a massive upheaval for his family. I could see Wales offering him the gig, but who would want to work with the WRU?

France might be the most likely to come available post WC, one way or another. Bothwick is probably secure for at least 2 years, and Farrell is likely good until the next WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I wonder the same thing every time I see Baptiste Serin play.

Serin was coming right back into the reckoning after a couple of years in the wilderness when he got that injury in the Challenge Cup final.

It will be interesting to see if he's named in the extended squad on the 21st or if lucu, couilloud or Le Garrec will be there ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Premier Sports have confirmed that they’re not showing the Top 14 final live because they’d prefer to show football, which is a pity - I don’t know any other broadcaster that would show a tournament live all year and then skip the final. They will screen a repeat on Sunday but if you want to watch live it’s TV5 with French commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ah FFS. How ridiculous is that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

GAAGO 🤣

As you say it seems crazy that you'd broadcast the league games and miss out on showing the final live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder is it on YouTube live.

Is all the football not over already?

• Advertisement

UEFA European Qualifiers and Nations League playoffs.

It’s all late this year because the (football) World Cup took place mid-season.

As I say best bet is the TV5 app, it’s legal and free, but it’s in French.

The WRU cant afford to pay decent players not to mind decent coaches.

We have always seen rog make career decisions that are somewhat unusual or unorthodox, but ultimately very good career decisions from a personal development point of view.

It would not be a surprise to see him make another career move that not many see coming.

Penny at the crusaders has big boots to fill and if that doesnt go well there could be an opening. He could be tapped up by any of the other big money men in france, Staying in the club game might be a good decision for a while before going to international level and getting a full RWC cycle.

one thing is for sure, The rugby coaching world is his oyster right now.

I wonder how much the Ireland or France coaching job pays compared to a top French club.

https://punditarena.com/rugby/thepateam/vern-cotter-line-bumper-montpellier/?amp

I would imagine that a decent salary is one thing but the bonuses for winning probably allow them to earn just as much again as they are worth huge money in prizes and sponsorships.

Premier have apparently repented and are showing the Top 14 final after all:

I think TL will shade this.

Not by much but i reckon they squeek it. Doing a double is very verybhard.

Anyone getting this on PS2, mine showing soccer 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

watching it here. on my firestick. premier sports 2

Tv5 monde online have it

• Advertisement

Lineouts a battle. Lifters ahead of jumpers at nearly every maul and getting away with it.

Going to be a fascinating set piece for the 80 mins

Jack willis is a great player. Be interesting see what england do with him come the world cup. They really need players of his quality

20 mins in and no scrum yet.

how very un-french

soft try...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Did he actually ground that try?

not sure, I was busy shrugging my shoulders in disgust

Very scrappy game so far. Neither team looks to be capable of making a break

it's no munster stormers (Munster are best team in the league, by the way) but its damn good

LAR finished the half better but both trys are from poor opposition mistakes not taking perfectly good passes and getting punished.

All to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That was criminal by Toulouse, doing the hard part and then knocking on inside your own 5m line.

Would expect LAR's better fitness to tell in the second half.

Advertisement