Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Oh ****, you don’t have anything to say back to that lol. Have a good one.

I think we will change our tune on that REAL quick if Ryan has extended injury. Someone has to do the dirty work.

Better than Mostert?! The 93-times capped RWC winning Springbok?

Come on now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Treadwell is woefully inconsistent but he’s capable of having an impact with ball in hand, he showed it in NZ last year

I do recall Treadwell playing well in NZ, but as I said above I don’t think it was because of his passing.

I went back and checked the stats on Irish rugby.

He passed the ball twice in the first Test, when the game was effectively out of sight.

He had 0 passes in the 2nd and 3rd Test.

So maybe he is capable of having an impact with ball in hand but he absolutely didn’t show it in NZ last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ball in hand isn’t just passing. Kleyn is the find a player and run hard at him type lock. He doesn’t use footwork and he doesn’t cause any confusion for defenses. Good for making hard yards in traffic I guess but not for quick recycles.

• Advertisement

Kleyn is also the absolutely murder someone in a clearout kind of lock that is essential to quick ball.

So carry’s as well? He made 1 carry in total in the 2nd and 3rd test.

He made 6 in the first Test to be fair to him, but the game was out of sight.

I do think he played well but my recollection of it is that it was in areas of the game where Kleyn is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hang on.

It is not "a" selection, nor is it just disagreement.

Since the squad was announced, there have been pages and pages of criticism of the Irish coaches for their non selection of Frisch, Haley and Kleyn.

The criticism has ranged from basic incompetence to outright bias.

When you look at the sheer volume of criticism and the nature of the underlying accusations, and you compare that to the utter mediocrity of the players in question, yes, I'd call it abuse.

I'll be honest, I don't rate Kieran Treadwell at all. I see absolutely nothing elite about him as a player - he's not bringing elite size, not a particularly notable line out forward, not a jackal threat at all, one of the worst ball carriers in Irish rugby statistically, and not particularly a big hitting 'enforcer' type lock either. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the Irish squad, I'd have every one of Jean Kleyn, Ross Molony, Niall Murray, Gavin Thornbury, Oisin Dowling, Tom Ahern, Ed Edogbo, Fineen Wycherley and Harry Sheridan ahead of him (plus the guys who are already obviously ahead of him).

I made these same points when he was originally dropped from the 6N squad in Feb.

Obviously there is something in his game I'm not seeing though - something that the current Irish coaches are asking of him and that he's delivering.

It would be one thing though if the Irish national side were absolutely floundering - then it would be absolutely fair game to question the direction of the team and the selections, but we've beaten every meaningful Tier 1 team in the past 12 months, won a Grand Slam, and are justifiably today the #1 team in the world. That is what earns the coaches the right to make these judgment calls as they see fit without having their motives questioned.

Agreed on this. It’s not like Munster were operating with slow ball this year. Kleyn was a large part of that.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with this. I’ve never rated him.

The questions about Kleyn that make this different to me is that we are losing someone on a very shallow depth chart when almost every other irish depth chart (except loosehead maybe) is quite deep. This seems like an obvious mistake just from that pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Munster fans have:

1. Disagreed with selections.

2. Engaged with those defending the selections.

And because conversations between these two sets of fans often drag over numerous pages, it fits a definition of "abuse" against the coaches...

Lads, the very idea of conversation would be ripped to pieces by this sort of logic (which I appreciate is held by a minority).

Criticism isn’t abuse. The vast majority of critical posts have been on the right side of that line, imo.

And the reason for the pages-and-pages is as much those arguing for the non-selections as against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Kleyn, good player. Obviously not what Farrell's looking for. He would have got a good look at him when he was called up in 2019 when he was Ireland defence coach. My best guess is that he doesn't have quite enough pace and explosivity for Farrell's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm surprised that the conversation about this is dominating conversation on the Ireland thread. I expected to see a couple of dozen posts on the Munster thread worried about whether he would get another Munster contract after his contract expires in 23/24. Snyman and Kleyn having expiring contracts at the same time and the IRFU administration could create problems.

As to the topic under discussion in thread (the selection of Kleyn for Ireland) I feel that Kleyn is better than 2 of the locks who made the extended Ireland training squad. He is better than Joe McCarthy (who I feel isn't in with a hope of the RWC and is just for the future) and he is certainly more consistent that Treadwell (who can have an amazing day and can disappear on other days).

The RWC squad will be Beirne Ryan and Henderson with Baird as a utility player covering lock and backrow.

I do feel that Kleyn missed out on a number of 50/50 calls for making the Ireland squad at different times over the years he probably made the decision to accept the Springboks call before this training squad happened.

I also feel that he fits the South African style of lock play more than he does the Irish one. We don't have the same desire for a massive tight head lock (James Ryan usually plays tight head lock for Ireland while he plays loosehead lock for Leinster usually). That says something about our preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

But you big up every average Munster player.

This is an Irish rugby thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I initially posted it on the Munster thread in an effort to avoid a sh1t storm but then someone posted it here and WUMs took over.

Such as?

You’re gonna have to be specific here, because I think this post is utter nonsense tbh.

I always try and justify my reasons behind why I would include a given player. That’s not “bigging up” anybody.

I'll repeat for those down the back with their hands over their ears, I think Kleyn & Haley are unlucky not to be in this squad or in previous squads but I am in no way sh1tting all over the Irish squad or management in holding that view. For posters to think that not to mind post it an effort to get a rise says more about them then they think.

Kleyn and haley. Coombes and crowley.

Point at how they are better players than included in the other three provinces.

Ryan/maloney> Kleyn.

Keenan/job > haley

Doris/conan/take your pick > Coombes

Crowley on the line here, but Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jesus i dont get it with maloney. He was anonymous in that final. Dude is just not a power athlete on any level. Baird, McCarthy or Jenkins should have played over him.

Also, Crowley over Byrne does not seem that controversial.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Coombes and Crowley are not “bang average” players. If you think they are, I would wager you are in the same minority of people who think jackalling is playmaking.

You won’t find a single post from me criticising Farrell for not picking Haley. You’ll find plenty of posts from me saying I understand why Haley isn’t picked as he only covers 1 position

So that leaves Kleyn as me bigging up “every average Munster player”. Incidentally how would you describe Treadwell?

But summarily, what you’re saying is utter rubbish.

Also, Crowley over Byrne does not seem that controversial.

No it's not but to say it you'll be accused of sh1tting all over the thread/team/coaches or whatever takes their fancy at the time.

Mister Munster mod, please attack the post, not the poster.

Cunning innuendo of my previous post about play makers. I stand by them.

Want to insulst my love of Irish rugby/ rugby any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Maloney is an underpowered weakling at international level

You think the above post, and this…

But you big up every average Munster player

… is attacking the post not the poster?

I’ve explained my reasons why I think Crowley could start in the 22 shirt.

I’ve explained my reasons why I think Coombes deserved a shot when Conan’s form dropped (and it did).

I’ve explained my reasons why I’d pick Kleyn over Treadwell.

I’m happy to repeat them all.

Whereas your argument seems to be:

Ryan/maloney> Kleyn.

Not much of an explanation there tbh.

And where have I possibly insulted your love of Irish rugby? It’s nonsense to suggest I have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

not quite as hilarious as Leinster against Ronan O Gara’s La Rochelle 😳😂😂

Advertisement