Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washer Dryer Combo Recommendations

Options
  • 10-06-2023 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend a Washer Dryer combo based on their own personal experience.

Also, anything to consider/watch out for

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can recommend not getting one, and that's about it unfortunately

Unless you really, really, really cannot fit a dryer - even by stacking - they are an awful option. Poor washers and dreadful dryers, extremely unreliable at both.

High efficiency modern dryers don't need vents so don't need to be on an outside wall - they have water tanks or drain pipe options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Same, I had one. It would never dry a load properly.

Bizarrely it would wash an 8kg load but only 5kg for drying, like I was expected to take out part of a load everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thanks both, two negative recommendations so far.

Alternative is to maybe go without a dryer and just get a washing machine.

It is for a new build house, in the utility room there is space on one side set out for a washing machine and the other side for the dryer, not sure if we were to get a separate dryer does it have to be where there is space currently designated for it, as not sure do they need different types of plumbing ?

Even where living now, the separate dryer is rarely used, except for towels or bedsheets during Winter mainly. Could just buy more spares for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Glaceon

We have an identical setup in our new build house. The dryer doesn’t need anything except electrical power, the moisture is collected in a tank that you empty periodically. Just make sure you get one that doesn’t need an external vent.

Thanks, so you have a separate washing machine & separate dryer?

Do you find you use the dryer much?

I just think the space where the dryer is supposed to go, could be used for other storage etc.

Plus, I think appliances use electricity if plugged in but not turned on, so for an appliance that wont be in regular use it feels like a potential extra electricity usage cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

We have a washer dryer - we don't have space for both a washer and a dryer. Its our second. The first one - the dryer broke. So we got a new one. When the dryer broke in the second one a few years ago, we just left it. We don't really miss it. If I'm ever stuck with damp sheets (and that's exceedingly rare), I iron them. I don't think I'd buy a dryer now, even if I had the space.

I don't have room for separates, so have always had washer dryer combos for the last 26 years since I moved into this house.

I don't get all the negativity about them. I currently have an indesit, its about 8 years old now, so knowing my luck will probably go soon now that I've posted about it. The only thing I will say is, I don't use the dryer for full loads of clothing, only towels, bed linens, tea towels etc, sometimes light things I need in a hurry.

When it does go I will be replacing it with this one, or as close to it as I can get.

Another thing to note, is they are usually deeper than washing machines only, so measure carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Fwiw I ended up going back to separate machines. Bought a dryer with a heat pump system. Dries an 8kg wash in 70 min. But normally use it to finish off clothes after they were on the radiator/line.

Usually put it on at night so it's on a cheaper rate.

If you're not using the dryer unplug it out and it'll cost nothing.

Yes, a separate washing machine and dryer. We use it about once a week. We got a heat pump dryer, it was a little more expensive to buy but much cheaper to run. I tested it with a meter, was only pulling 512 watts from the wall. Most standard condenser dryers would be 5 or 6 times that.

Thanks. You both seem to have got a separate heat pump dryer, can you link me to the brand/model you got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

BOSCH Series 6 Washer, dryer 10/6 Kg, purchased during Covid restrictions as 15 year old Bosch died. Combination as do not have space or plumbing ect for separate machines. Very good selection of programmes and options once you use manual for reference. Excellent wrinkle free drying, if clothes partially air dried outside if weather permits and drying completed in machine.

Very good also at drying directly after washing, delayed start function useful also. Large drum size useful for beddings ect.

Not the cheapest brand or model, but well worth it as not a minutes trouble since purchased.

General comment: Do not blame the machine if the wash quality is poor, look at your programme choice and detergent folks :)

I had a Bosch combo before the Indesit, it lasted a good 15 years or so as well!

Definitely a brand I would consider again, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Separate Bosch wash machine and dryer and rarely use latter. We have good south facing garden with decent outdoor drying. Good for environment etc and good for clothes/whites to be in sun. Utility room is good for drying off items if hung from ceiling on small pegged driers. Meanwhile I am very aware of indoor humidity and never dry on rads or indoor airers.

Advertisement