Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to recognize polyamorous marriage?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Having an open relationship is one thing, and many more couples are practicing this arrangement in recent years - straight couples, that is. Gay male couples have been having open relationships for decades and if agreed boundaries between both parties are in place, it can work well.

Interestingly, lesbian women couples tend to have the strongest commitment to monogamy.

But polyamorous setups where a man has two women spouses, or vice versa, or three gay men in a “thruple” arrangement often do not work out well as jealousy and resentment can quickly set in. Then there are the legal aspects to such arrangements in terms of formal marriage that can be extremely onerous and complex. And what about the children, if any, in such family arrangements - their welfare and needs must be considered.

Our own taxAHcruel is in a polyamorous relationship with two women - perhaps he can share his views on the matter as someone who is living in such an arrangement.

Those polygamous setups in the USA are usually by Mormons where the multiple wives of the man have agreed to be very subservient to their husband and his needs and wants. Similar to the situations in the Middle East and Africa. I don’t think you’d see many feminists that keen on sharing their male spouse with several other women.

In any case I don’t see any calls for legal recognition of polyamorous relationships here outside of the Muslim community, some of whom are already in polyamorous setups with a man with more than one wife - but under the legal radar as the State is not going to recognise polygamy any time soon.

Monogamy is a lofty and noble ideal, but humans are simply not hardwired for monogamy and it is a culturally and religiously imposed/conditioned “norm” in most societies. It’s primary purpose is to keep societies stable.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

I think that is the main reason no government would recognise this because we have seen the problems from Muslim countries where they have been doing it for thousands of years, most women and a majority of less connected men are disenfranchised by it. The disenfranchised men turn violent and the disenfranchised women disappear, are hidden , that's really the reason why they insist on women covering up in those countries . You don't need those laws when everyone just as one wife or husband. Monogamy maybe boring but it results in the most stable harmonious societies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

While I agree that monogamy is hard, for me that is the point. My commitment to a monogamous relationship everyday is how I express my love for my wife. For me, it is a way to prove that I have self discipline and that I can stick to my commitments and that my word is 100%. It gives me great pride to be a trustworthy partner and that I can evolve beyond my animal instincts through discipline and commitment, to provide a more stable environment to raise a family, which has always been an ambition for me. My lust and ego do not control me.

Having said all of that, I couldn't care less what other people want to do with their life, it's their journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah come one! - That's twice you've blamed polygamy for problems in Muslim counries - can you make a direct causational link?

It's also legal in Utah and that has NONE of the violent issues you mention

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Polygamy is not legal in Utah. (In fact, Utah has the strongest anti-polygamy laws of any US state.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My apologies, I stand corrected - but the rest of my post stands: there is no causational link between polygamy and violence.

The main reason no government will recognise polygamy in Ireland is that polygamy isn't practised in Ireland.

Marriage is a social institution. The only relationships which there is any point in the government recognising are the relationships which people actually have. So legal recognition follows the reality of the relationship, not the other way around. In a society in which polygamy is not practised to any material degree, legal recognition is an irrelevance.

There's a second limb to this which is that, even if a model of polygamous marriage were being practised in Ireland, we still wouldn't recognise it if we thought it was undesirable or harmful. For example, anyone advocating recognition of polygamous marriage in Ireland today is likely intending an egalitarian model, in which men and women are equally free to take multiple spouses, and men and women have equal status within a polygamous marriage. Also, it will be egalitarian in the sense that same-sex and opposite-sex polygamous marriages are both accommodated.

But most of the real-world models of polygamous marriage which are found in other countries, and which enjoy legal recognition in other countries, are not like this at all. Polygamous marriage customs and conventions vary, but they are nearly all notably inegalitarian. There have been communities that have tried to foster idealised egalitarian models of group marriage; in general the results have not been encouraging; the institution (and, frequently, the communities in which it is practised) tend not to last very long.

So, in short, I don't think the issue of recognising polygamous marriage in Ireland arises until will have a functional and acceptable model of polygamous marriage that is actually being practised in Ireland that would benefit from legal recognition. We're a long way off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But if they do, then it gets harder for them if something goes wrong. What happens if they're sick and the spouse that's with them doesn't have power of attorney.

Not saying we should jump into it either. The whole area is a mine field. If I'm married should I be allowed get married to another woman without my wifes consent? Should all polyamorous relationships be inclusive so you don't marry one person in them, you marry all of them? In that case if one person wants to divorce one other, what happens to the group? Is it all gone?

And historically it's been a way to put women down. So any laws around it need to make sure that it's not used to abuse women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Finally decided to start using my new account after my old one closed :) I requested it be closed when the site was "upgraded" and then forgot I had done that months later. Than suddenly all those requests were processed and a lot of us who were still posting were suddenly reminded we had closed our accounts :)

I hope so. "Deviant: adjective: departing from usual or accepted standards". Certainly something worth getting behind. While the word has negative connotations - not being a slave to what is accepted as the norm is to my mind a good thing. Once one stays within the bound of law and morality - or works to change law or morality through discourse and reason - then deviate all you wish and add color to our society and lives. I would hope we are not at the peak. I would like to see more of it across the board.

Indeed. We worked hard to formalize much about our relationship with the help of our family solicitor. It helped a lot of course that one of my partners is in fact a law doctorate working now in the more academic side of law. So she could talk that talk and helped us deal with a lot of it. Though to this day we joke that she likely hid small print in there that we do not understand that means she controlls all our assets and souls!

Most of this we completed about 12 years ago so a lot of the details - even the ones I as a legal lay person understood - are fuzzier to me now. The weekend after we signed the final papers related to all of this we had a "marriage" of sorts with friends and family to mark it with a ceremony and party and so forth. And that was enough for us.

The most important aspects of the whole thing for us were things like medical proxy, inheritence and parental status. I have two children with each of them now. Were they both to die tomorrow - or were I and one of them to die tomorrow - we wished to ensure that the remaining parent would be recognised as the legal parental guardian of all 4 of the children. Should one of the three of us - or any of our children - be hospitalised, then we wish to be sure that medical access and choices would be afforded all three of us. And so on.

The other luxuries that married couples enjoy - such as tax status or whatever - we did not pursue much. Though my username is inspired mostly by how much I hate tracking and controlling our taxs and tax situations. Hence the use of the word "cruel" and painful scream of "AHHHH" to play on Tax Accrual.

And as Nozz rightly pointed out I would have no interest in pursuing a campaign for any kind of legal recognition for relationships like ours. I feel such changes to marital law should scale sensibly with the amount of benefit they would bring - and inversely with the amount of effort required to implement. Unlike the Gay Marriage Referendum which I campaigned heavily for on- and off-line and walked the streets of 6 counties working on - the relative benefit is tiny and relative effort huge - and so I would see no benefit to wanting it.

I would say that we feel exactly the same as you do. Every word you wrote would apply to us too. The one small change we would make is that where you write "my wife" we would write "our relationship". Everything else is exactly the same and I could not have said much of it better myself.

A vague analogy here to me is to imagine a king. Many people might bow to a king. But in fact he is just a representative of the throne. Both the king and the people bowing to the king serve the throne. In much the same way your wife - or my partners - and myself are representatives of our relationships. And it is to that relationship we are dedicated - and by proxy therefore to each other.

Not a perfect analogy in many ways I grant you - but it serves.

Oh they can be maintained alright. It just is not easy. Then again when you look at divorce rates these days - maintaining any relationship is not easy. So I would not say these kinds of relationships are harder per se. They just have different challanges. And different can be hard because you have fewer peers to turn to for advice who share your lived experience and fewer social supports tailored to your situation.

On the other side of the coin however many things are easier. Economies of scale mean that many things that cause marital break down - such as financial resources, time to spend with children, chores, and much more are easier. We have pretty much identical requirements on such things as any couple with 4 children have - but that responsibility and effort split over three people rather than two. So when I ever feel like saying our relationship is difficult - I do remember to check my privileges too.

A lot also comes down to why or how you enter such an alternative relationship. For us it just happened. We neither sought it or desired it but simply found ourselves in it. I suspect this is one of the healthier ways to end up in it. Others actively seek it and then it becomes part of their agenda in partner selection and so forth. And I think the more "forced" such things are - the higher the chances of failure. Partly but not entirely because people might be compelled to take certain compromises just to get the goal attained of being in such a relationship.

Certainly though there are no dysfunctions in our home that I am currently aware of :) Most of all we try to remember that our relationship is in fact 4 relationships. 3 couples and a truple. And we do our best to maintain and nurture each of those individually and equally.

I have no idea if it is or not. I have never seen statistics on it. However I could make some random guesses as to why it might be. The first is that I find the one thing that makes such a relationship work is communication. And the old male stereotype is that men are worse at expressing themselves and their emotions. A second could be that men tend to be more competative. A third might be the whole biological aspect of off spring recognition where women are much more certain that an off spring is theirs than men can be. A fourth might be that men tend to have more resources historically - maybe less so today - so more capable of supporting such a relationship. A fifth might be the "ick" factor many men have to other males in sexual contexts that women perhaps have less of. I have no idea if any of these are real or true. Just 5 random guesses.

Though you said you were specifically referring to TV shows rather than statistics on such relationships. I guess the reason such shows might tend towards the 1 man multiple women scenario - might be the same reason as why people may be more likely to click on a story about a male teacher sleeping with his teenage student than a female teacher sleeping with a teenage student. The former tends to get more of a reaction than the latter. Especially from men. It's just more click baity. Again guesswork though. But I have certainly seen men in the former case call it exploitation but in the latter say "good on the kid - I wish my hot teacher was doing that with me when I was that age!".

Good! About bloody time people relaxed a bit and had some fun!

Yes and I'll say it a third time if you like, of course it's not the only reason but it's a fundamental part of the problems in the ME.

As for a direct causation link, look no further than Osama bin laden, the product of a polygamous marriage where his father was a very wealthy guy who could afford to have many wives. Unfortunately he didn't have much time for his many children so then you have the likes of Osama vying with his many other children for attention. Of course Osama went on to a polygamous marriage himself and the process repeats as some of his sons then followed him into terrorism.

In the real world it is women that consent to this being shared, hardly any man would consent to sharing his wife with another man. That's where the problems for society as a whole would result as seen in the ME. Society should not be encouraging this practice because it is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

Plenty of sex to be had from the apps.

I'm obese and not attractive yet I have success with foreign women.

In fact I just watched with a hot woman this morning and we're already discussing meeting up for some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

You'd need a venn diagram to work out your family tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It was legal there but they got did of it when they became a state. The US wouldn't allow Utah to become a state otherwise. So suddenly God talked to the Mormon Elders and told them that it was wrong.

Same thing happened with black people. God didn't want them to be Mormons until just after the civil rights era when he had a word in the ears of the elders and told them that he'd be wrong the whole time.

• Advertisement

That's a correlation, not a causation - which is a classic logical fallacy.

That last paragraph is again assumption (and factually incorrect, if you've every actually been in a polycule) - men wouldn't last five minutes with an attitude like that.

So yeah - you cleary have no idea who the concept of polyamory works, you're guessing, telling us what you want us to hear and getting it completly wrong. Leaving you here at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Joseph Smith was called a prophet

(Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb)

He started the Mormon religion

(Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb).

(Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb)

fair play

It wasn't legal in Utah even before it was admitted as a state, though it was widely practised. The US federal government banned polygamy in all US territories (which included Utah at the time) in 1862. For a long time the Utah Territory authorities were reluctant to enforce the ban — meaning, they didn't prosecute bigamists, but bigamous marriages were still unlawful and were unrecognised for all legal purposes.

That changed in the late 1880s — not only were bigamists prosecuted, but the authorities also began to seize the asset of the Mormon church. In 1890 the church prohibited new plural marriages (though it continued to assert the validity of existing plural marriages) and a few years later its assets were returned to it.

In 1896 Utah was admitted to the Union as a State, one of the conditions of admission being that the State Constitution would include a ban on polygamy. The constitutional prohibition is still in force.

(Polygamy wasn't the only issue that delayed Utah's admission to the Union. Because the white settlement of the territory had been organised and conducted by the Mormon church, the church owned a huge part of the Territory's land area. That gave it enormous political influence which was felt to be in appropriate for a US state. The seizure of the church's assets in 1893 was partly a measure to punish its complicity in conducting polygamous marriages, but partly also a way of reducing its land ownership and redesignating much church land as public land.

Looks like Una Healy wants to distance herself from the "throuple " rumours. She says as far as she was concerned she was dating David Haye and wasn't in a throuple, she said she never heard that word before.

Looks like this is a trend that won't take off as Una Healy has sensed that the association with this lifestyle can only be bad for her profile and now she wants to kill off the whole story. Looks like Dil and her partner will be left on their own again as I bet their new "girlfriend " who wanted to remain anonymous anyway will probably skidaddle aswell as she will see that this is not something to be celebrated and will probably be bad for her if it ever became public. Maybe the fact that Dil decided to be so public will be too scary aswell

I don't hear Dil Wickremasinghe going on about her "throuple" much lately, maybe they are just back to a couple again. Maybe she frightened away the +2 person with all the adverse publicity associated with this "lifestyle". I doubt it will become a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

LOL He was a CIA asset. And the US sure spent a lot of money in supporting conservative Saudi Salafist Wahabism in taking a hold in Afghanistan which in a ironic twist followers are now being persecuted by the Taliban.

What's the best argument against polyamorous marriage though?

In theory if three people wanted to marry one another, why should the state prevent that outcome?

I'm neither in favour nor against, because it's not a subject I've ever explored. But I'd be interested in hearing what the arguments are because, at the moment, all I've seen is an emotional reaction against it rather than any concrete reasoned argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

One simple thing is children who gets them in a divorce ? Who's children are they the 2 mothers for example. If it's a woman and 2 men the woman ? Head hurts thinking about it already. Do both fathers pay child support and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they have a spreadsheet on who's turn it is or what?

She seems happy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

The state isnt preventing anyone from getting married. You can marry a tin of beans if you like. The state just wont recognise the marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...some serious levels of dysfunction going on there, everyone in serious need of professional help!

throw in some cheese and toast, and im in!

But that never happens, 2 men and 1 woman, its always 1 man and several women like in the ME not a stable situation because then you have many angry men that cannot get a woman the fundamental reason why so much violence in the ME and Africa. Therefore in order to maintain the stable societies we have in the developed world these types of relationships should never be accepted or legalised

The feminists position on the issue of polyamorous relationships I imagine will be very telling.

Since the research shows that lesbian couples tend to be relatively highly monogamous and value emotional intimacy more, whereas straight men and gay couples are more promiscuous, when possible. If I remember correctly.

We are occasionally reminded that feminism (despite the name) is not about promoting female interests, but rather its about making society more equal, and caring for all regardless of gender.

It seems that females are more concerned with enduring relationships, as one would expect due to biology, and as the study of lesbian couples suggests. This would mean promiscuity and polyamorous relationships would be detrimental to female interests. A man with 6 wives has less time for emotional intimacy and the maintaining of an enduring relationship. A woman generally wouldn't want this. A man would generally be much more entertaining of the idea of many partners, as suggested by the study of mens preferences and of gay male couples.

So if feminism protests against polyamorous relationships in society, that would fit pretty well with the proposal that feminists are in fact, as the name suggests, primarily interested in promoting female interests.

• Advertisement

That's a bit like me saying I never signed the contract - the ink is liable!

• As described by some posters above a polyamorous relationship, “marriage”, call it what you will, like so much else, is generally for men’s benefit. If I want to have lots of variety of flute I go on the apps but in this case I don’t go telling myself or anyone else I’m committed to any of them, I’m just experiencing fun. If I become mutually committed to one man, I certainly don’t want either another man or woman thrown into the mix, thank you very much. Dealing with one person at a time is complicated enough 🤣 One would have to be very organised with the calendar for due equality a “polyamorous relationship”. To me it’s just shagging around, call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is the type of mental stuff that seems mental now but media/NGO/activists will attempt to make it normal over the next decade or so.

Has she elaborated how the Tax Credits work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Not sure where I stand on these but this thread reminded me of this murderous psychopath. You can be guaranteed that he will be trotted out by anyone against change.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Polyamoury is simply a "woke" term for promiscuity. Marriage is an institution based on fidelity and mutual respect. Having multiple shag partners is not. A polyamourous marriage, therefore, is a contradiction in terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What's the best argument against polyamorous marriage though?

I'll give it it bash.

The point of marriage is you make a commitment to 1 person. You can't honour a commitment to 2 or more people at the same time because now there is a conflict where at times you have to put one person over the other. So it's not logically possible to commit to 2 people at the same time and therefore not the definition of a marriage.

So if feminism protests against polyamorous relationships in society, that would fit pretty well with the proposal that feminists are in fact, as the name suggests, primarily interested in promoting female interests.

that would make rational sense but then feminists would be aligning themselves 100% with conservatives and against the groups they like to associate themselves with

the same rationale with regard to mandatory religious face coverings for women, feminist stay very quite on this issue

I see your point, but surely its just an issue of legality? There's no reason a marriage of two people - as a legal contract - can't be rewriten as a contract between three or more people, if all parties lawfully agree to the terms?

• Advertisement

It would have to be fundamentally different terms. One of the defining characteristics of marriage as we currently have it it that it's exclusive — if I marry A, then I cannot marry anyone else. And much about the nature of marriage flows from that - presumption of paternity, inheritance rights, rights to maintenance and support, etc. So it's not simply a question of extending existing rules to an additional person as devising a new set of rules appropriate to a different set of relationships between a larger group of people.

A related point is that marriage, the legal institution, isn't the foundation for marriage, the social reality — it's the other way around. People have been marrying, and have been recognised and treated as married by their families and neighours and communities, long before the state got involved and started recognising and regulating marriage. Even now, the state's capacity to regulate marriage ultimately has to give way to the social reality of marriage — e.g. this state's attempt to ban divorce ultimately had to give way to the reality of relationships ending, and the legal and regulatory regime simply had to deal with that.

Which means that there is no point in the state recognising polyamorous marriage if polyamorous marriages aren't an established social reality. I pointed above to some questions that would have to be asked about polyamorous marriage - e.g. how would the inheritance rights of my various spouses be reconciled on my death? But in fact there are much more fundamental questions that would need to be settled - e.g. if I am married to A can I go ahead and marry B, or is this only possible if both I and A marry B, so that A and B will also be spouses of one another?

If polyamorous marriage were a social reality in Ireland, we would already know the answers to questions like this, because we would point to the reality of polyamorous marriage as lived by those in them, and to the shared understanding of polyamorous marriages and their consequence by the wider community within which people enter into polyamorous marriages. We can't point to to these things because they don't exist yet; polyamorous marriage is just an abstract idea and, if we're honest, a not very well developed one.

In short, the state can't recognise polyamorous marriages because there aren't any polyamorous marriages to recognise. Only when the community starts practising, accepting and supporting polyamorous marriage can the the question of legal recognition arise.

A related point is that marriage, the legal institution, isn't the foundation for marriage, the social reality

Here's the key point: why does the "social reality" have to be legal definition? We're merely talking unchallenged tradition here and making a challenge to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I've no problem with that; challenge away.

But they way you challenge traditions about marriage is not to demand legal recognition for some hypothetical, abstract, idealised concept that has no existence in the real world; it's to develop and practice a new model of marriage. You need an alternative tradition.

The state can't "recognise" something that doesn't exist. You need to be able to point to to people who are actually living in polyamorous marriages and to a wider community of people who accept and support those marriages and then you can say "look, this exists; you need to recognise it". Until you can say that, there is no case for recognition; there is nothing that needs recognising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Polyamorous marriage is an oxymoron. I have no issue with someone having multiple partners, it's their life and there is nothing to stop them, and more importantly, nothing illegal about it.

If they want a polyamorous relationship, have one. If they feel the need to offer security to their partners should they die/ separate, then write a will/ cohabitation agreement.

You need an alternative tradition.

We already have one - it's exactly what's being proposed.

The State - i.e. the will of the people - can recognise anything it likes and define marriage in any way it wants. The question, therefore is not do we have an alternative tradition (we do - or we wouldn't even be having this conversation), but does it have the will of the people? And THAT is what's up for debate.

Beyond that, it's a catch 22 situation: you're saying "prove it exists in order to make it legal" but in order to do this, you have to make it legal first in order to conduct the experiment.

• Advertisement

That's a bizarre form of argument.

At the time that marriage equality came through, many critics of the legislation used to make comments like, "What's next? Marriage between three or even four people; this is a slippery slope".

The standard response at the time, and a wholly sensible one too, was, "but nobody is asking for that kind of marriage".

And that remains true today. Nobody is asking for it.

Did we have to make marriage equality legal first in order to prove that demand for it existed in the community? No, we didn't. We adjudged that based on the demand from gay couples over many years, in an organized movement, for the state to recognize their marriage.

We don't see a movement of polyamorous marriage advocates. Unless that changes, we have no reason to introduce legislation to address a non-existent problem.

No, marriage is a contract between consenting adults: marriage between a man and a tree is what we're REALLY claiming and was rightly called out as said fallacy. And you know this because you took part in the conversation when it arose, and you made the exact same arguments then as you did now, with the same flaws you have now.

The rhetorical question remains the same: if the will of people decree a,legal change be enacted to a social tradirion known as marriage- as we both know has happened in the past - what is to prevent said will becoming law?

And before you answer that: what stopped the redefinition of marriage BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS from becoming law at the request of the will of the people, the last time it was asked?

And you know this because you took part in the conversation when it arose, and you made the exact same arguments then as you did now, with the same flaws you have now.

False. I have never ever opposed marriage equality.

what stopped the redefinition of marriage BETWEEN CONSENTING ADULTS from becoming law at the request of the will of the people, the last time it was asked?

Nothing.

But there was a popular widespread movement that backed up marriage equality. There is no such movement for polyamorous marriage.

The key is in your own words, "at the request of the will of the people".

The state doesn't need to manufacture novel legislation to treat a non-existent problem in society.

Nothing. My point entirely.

As I posted above:

The question, therefore is not do we have an alternative tradition (we do - or we wouldn't even be having this conversation), but does it have the will of the people? And THAT is what's up for debate.

but does it have the will of the people? And THAT is what's up for debate.

Is there polling to suggest that polyamorous marriage is something that the wider electorate wants to see happen?

Is there a popular movement in this direction?

Unless I've missed something, the answer to these two questions is no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement