Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If a company, they are supposed to go on a company pricing plan, in the early days when it was free SuC for all (in the US) they were not allowed used the Network but then Tesla introduced the Company Pricing plan

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

we have 3 Kia taxis on fleet and one guy just bought an EV6 👍

Hyundai is different as nobody wanted the Kona for taxi use. Too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,370 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big surge in the TSLA share in the last while too. So glad I dumped all my other shares in other companies (at a loss at the time) and went all in. Stress of daily looking all gone, I know I am doing the right thing and not worried about daily ups or downs. Very likely huge gains if given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Changes on the way stateside as GM follow Ford in adopting the NACS standard.

Could the same happen here? Notably Tesla have backed CCS2 in Europe and have not done the same for CCS1 in the states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tesla didn't back CCS2 in Europe, it was mandated as the connector type here a few years ago by the EU regulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It ain't happening in Europe given all Tesla's now ship with CCS2 in Europe, and its the standard in Europe.

That mandated the charge points at stations needed CCS2.0 at a minimum, hence why new Leafs still have Chademo and Zoe's up until recently were only able to charge on AC. Noticed a few Nissan dealers Chademo going (presumably due to old age) and not being replaced

Unless there was another mandate for cars that I'm not aware of? Not having a go, it's highly possible

Logic would suggest. Logic would suggest that there will be interoperability between the standards as well if it ever did happen.

One way or another this is a step backwards for EV adoption in north america

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

All cars must come with type 2 and all new car approvals must have CCS I believe but I do stand to be corrected on that one. However yes all charging stations must offer CCS2 and may offer other standards.

I actually like the NACS standard and it works well for the US market, however over here we have a standard that everyone adheres to and is already in use, CCS2, and there is no need to change it. If Tesla was still using the EU connector then I would suggest we could change to the NACS and have it as a true global standard but we dont need it. Type2 and CCS2 works well here.

My understanding is that the NACS can charge at up to 1MW while CCS2.0 is limited to 350kW so there is one argument possibly to be made in the future. Although I'd be very surprised if the next gen CCS isn't backwards compatible with 2.0 when the time arises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Current CCS2 is 500kW, in practice the fastest charging car seems to be the lucid that reaches 370kW. The spec is rated to 500A and 1000v. The NACS is not charging at 1000kW in the wild yet anyway so anything claimed about it is on paper so you can trust that as much as you trust Elon!

CCS 3 will be backwards compatible with CCS 2 as CCS 2 was with CCS 1 (note CCS 1 =/= CCS1). CCS 1 was rated to approx 80kW with a 200A limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Each to their own - but can you appreciate that these phrases have literally nothing to do with investing everything into an individual stock, and one which has such a high beta:

”big surge”

”dumped all my other shares”

”dumped them at a loss”

”went all in”

“I know I’m doing the right thing”

”not worried about ups and downs”

”very likely huge gains”.

I’m really not trying to be nasty here - i do analyst valuations for large cap (and very boring!) dividend paying companies for a living. Tesla doesn’t fit our model obviously, but popular stocks always get modelled to try to understand retail investing behaviour - and as a result we all have an opinion.

heres a reasonably meaningless example, as it’s in the past, but since the May 2020 covid bottom of the market until the end of Q1 this year, bank of Ireland shares have outperformed Tesla, and they have a dividend too.

Oh aye, that's the rational approach alright and mine isn't rational by my own admission based on traditional measures. Each to their own is right. My pension is with eagle star (now zurich), they do what you do and they have made me a reasonable return over the last 20 odd years. My TSLA investment is my own an has already done much better than the professionals in Eagle star have. And I am responsible, only playing with money I can afford to lose. And I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd put money on this investment bringing me a much larger return than my pension fund. But we'll talk again in a years' time, or 2 or 10 and then we will see who was right. Most likely me 😂

The only thing nasty in your post is comparing to BOI shares imho. A lot of Irish people lost their life time savings having mostly BOI shares. Which went to sh1te in the big recession...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I almost only invest in dividend paying equities. In the last week I increased my holdings of one that curently pays 12.7%. Even with something that enticing I stay diversified. 'All in' isn't in my vocabulary.

Apart from Musk himself being of the opinion that Tesla as a company is worth nothing without FSD, it's a house of cards dependent on the continued wellbeing of a single person. If he were to have a Bruce Lee moment, that 'Tesla are worth nothing' opinion would likely pan out.

Nope, I'd rather be all-out and doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anyone who picked up shares when the fell to around $120 at Christmas time is sitting nicely now they have rebounded to $240+.

Big bull run coming by all indicators so now looks like the time to make a few speculative investments as most boats will rise?

Just got quoted €960 for a tow hook on a M3 only capable of carrying bikes, anybody get anything better?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

They should never have removed the Radar modules from their autopilot system: There has been a three fold increase in the number of crashes. "Tesla is having more severe — and fatal — crashes than people in a normal data set"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/06/10/tesla-autopilot-crashes-elon-musk/

The Washington Post, who discovered Watergate. How a bastion of journalism has fallen like that is sad. That article is of the poorest of standards, did you read it?

I'm on holidays, have wine taken and don't want to waste much time on this but some very simple figures. 17 fatalities with cars that had AP enabled since 2019, let's be generous and say there were 10 last year alone. There are about 2 point something million Teslas on the road in the USA and well over 200 million cars / vehicles, so say about 1% of vehicles over there is a Tesla. It also doesn't state how many Tesla fatalities there were with AP not enabled, let's guess 50%

And there are about 40k road traffic fatalities over there. So if Teslas did average annual mileage (again being very generous, they do a lot more than average), then you would expect Teslas to be involved in 1% of 40k fatalities, so 400. Not 10. Or 20.

As you can see, far safer than average (some of the calculations and assumptions in here are simplified and don't take all situatios into account - but you get the idea )

@cnocbui - "I almost only invest in dividend paying equities"

Don't you have a lot of money in crypto? 😂

Not knocking it, but it is hardly the stuff that a professional analyst using old school book rules like @sk8board would tell you to invest heavily in 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The amount originally invested was small, but I started buying into BTC in early 2016 when 1 BTC was about €370. I quickly noticed the price seemed to be rising whereas my bank account was costing me, so I bought some more, as that seemed more fun. Now I'm up 1,580%.

It was a small investment, I could afford to lose it but it wasn't my only investment, though on paper, it easily is my best performer.

• Advertisement

Any professional investor or fund manager back in 2016 would have foamed at the mouth if you mentioned putting more than a few quid into BTC. Same as they would have done if you mentioned buying TSLA shares in 2022.

Yet both of those are very likely to perform much better than any investments those professionals would have recommended us 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Of course because at the time both would have been regarded as speculative without a track record. Hindsight always makes us wiser .

Earlier poster who mentioned a killing if you had purchased at USD120 at Christmas seemed silent about USD309 in Sept....we can all chose data points to support a particular view . BTW I do have some Tesla stock (have been up and down) and am happy to hold.. Recent developments with opening up to both GM and Ford are all very positive for the stock (additional Revenues but also accelerating higher adaptation of EV's and playing to Tesla dominant market position on both)

Of course. And that's why we should all let the boring professionals take care of our main money. Save all your life into your pension pot and you are very likely to get a meagre monthy allowance if or when you retire. Do the investments yourself and you could either end up being a multi millionaire or have nothing or something in between 😂

I invested in TSLA twice before and both times I cashed out with a more than 50% profit after a short run. The profit was realised, but of course I would have been far better off if I had just left my money in the share. I'm in it for my third run now. Tempted to cash in another nice profit, but this time I will just HODL long term. I very much doubt that will turn out to be a bad decision. Tesla will likely turn out to be more profit making than any other company ever before. And my own Tesla, that I recently decided to keep for a very long time, has FSD (I paid zero extra for that option). It might pay for its keep sometime in future and then some, who knows if it ever becomes a robotaxi. Might be 2024, might be 2048 or might be never 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Your comparison of the number of fatalities of Autopilot against the national average is unfair: The national average covers accidents on all road types. Divided highways, like freeways, are much safer for driving than other road types. This is where Autopilot is recommended to be used.

There are a good few of situations where the newer version of Autopilots components fails

• Poor visibility (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).
    • Bright light (due to oncoming headlights, direct sunlight, etc.).
    • Damage or obstructions caused by mud, ice, snow, etc.
    • Interference or obstruction by object(s) mounted onto the vehicle (such as a bike rack).
    • Obstruction caused by applying excessive paint or adhesive products (such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc.) onto the vehicle.
    • Traffic signs that do not conform to standard recognizable formats, such as digital or temporary speed signs.
    • Narrow or winding roads.
    • A damaged or misaligned body panel.
    • Use of gray or aftermarket glass.
    • Interference from other equipment that generates ultrasonic waves.
    • Extremely hot or cold temperatures.

The problem is, a good few of these could have been mitigated if Tesla left the radar modules in place on the vehicles. They should never have been removed in the first place, especially when it looks like there is a large uptick in the number of accidents since. Thankfully, it looks like they might be bringing them back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Do you mean USS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I think it should be said that autopilot is a driver aid, not a replacement for the driver.

Fsd sounds like it's a driver replacement buy it's another driver aid. It's been missold for the last several years but that's another story.

It may sooner or later live up to its name but the driver should still be there ready to take over. If they weren't, then it's their fault .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

The marketing might be deceptive but if you give a human a tool that does most of the work for them and makes their task more repetitive and boring, they will always lose concentration. That’s made even more likely to happen in America because of the lack of steering wheel nag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

No, They're supposed to be bringing back 'HD' radar, whatever that means.

Indeed. But everywhere it says the driver should pay attention at all times and keep their hands on the wheel. The FSD beta software won't work until you sign a disclaimer that you promise to adhere to this. I'd say many / most of the autopilot fatal crashes were because of people not doing this. Like the guy in the article who had attached a weight to the steering wheel so that the car thinks he is holding the steering wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Is there a Tesla roaster thread?

didn't realise but was available to place an order, I also could be late to the party as I only regularly check the Y & delivery threads :)

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/roadster/reserve#payment

Advertisement