Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

Ranting is the word. None of us can predict what the government will do for certain but treads like this are for discussion and we all want to learn.

But often ideas and points of discussion just meet angry sarcastic responses of some people who seem to enjoy slating others. Its a sad mentality to have. The same mindset that would have slammed the idea of Knock Airport when it was built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The WRC isn't directly connected to Knock airport and with the gradients from the surrounding lands to the airport an actual direct link would be very difficult to achieve.

You tried to claim your proposal was a "strong argument" when it was complete fantasy, and then get personal when it gets debunked.

What is it with WOT and their spiritual successors that they always revert to ad hominem attacks when their fantasy proposals get taken apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Yes, your right. Gradients around Knock airport is the issue here. I forgot the airport was built on the peak of a mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A rail link to an airport off WRC could be better done by a spur to Shannon, or from the castlebar line to knock.

Knock airport is on a mountain, getting trains there would be very expensive requiring tunnels or many bridges. It will not happen

Your post was a rant - not an ad hominem to point out the obvious

Where's the rant?

I took each of the counties along the WRC one by one and pointed out why a rail link from Knock airport wasn't going to magically deliver "unlimited tourists" to the region. Odd how people get so upset by a nonsense argument being debunked

There's a sizable portion of the pro-WRC arguments that take "the train is the solution" as their starting point and work backwards from that - and get incredibly upset when challenged on it.

This type of thinking pervaded the county councils in Sligo, Mayo and Galway from 2000 until the mid 2010s (and still seems to have a hold on Mayo CoCo) and resulted in nothing more than the alignment continuing to lie idle and become more and more overgrown instead of being developed into something that, if nothing more, would preserve the alignment and provide a local amenity at the same time.

If someone says a Greenway is better for tourism, I would argue a rail connection to an international airport is even better for tourism.

As stated, all evidence to the contrary.

There's also no chance of a rail connection to Knock.

We can't even get one to Dublin airport with its 28 million pax so I don't know what the justification would be for Knock with its 700k pax

To be blunt, the arguments for justifying the WRC are like throwing sht at a wall and seeing what sticks. At the end of the day its still sht

Where's the rant?

*Proceeds to post another unsolicited rant*

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder regards these "pro-WRC" people whoever they are and take every opportunity to try and attack them.

I guess it's easier to dismiss points as a rant than actually addressing them 🙄

If you are going to be so dishonest as to claim that there's no pro-WRC advocates posting heavily on this thread then that says more about you than anything else TBH

In fairness Dublin airport not having a rail link is hardly justification for not adding rail links elsewhere.

Dublin has a number of issues preventing a rail link but lack of money was never one - lobby groups (ahem taxi drivers, DAA) and how difficult the routing would prove, NIMBYs from nearby towns etc etc

Knock simply would not work due to geography, its a nonsense proposal for that reason alone, but the Dublin airport line doesn't really hold much weight.

Address what? I literally am in agreement with you that knock airport rail link is nonsense - its clearly stated in my posts and yet you get all defensive and start again with the tirade against the WRC.

Of course there are some pro WRC advocates on this thread or there wouldnt be a discussion anymore and thread would have died long ago, however you seem to feel the need to address this monolithic group of people whom you attribute opinions to as a block, in all your posts.

I'm at a loss as to why this is so controversial. We're only talking about the Claremorris to Charlestown section. Everyone agrees this is the least likely section of rail to open, but we can still discuss it.

The current alignment is winding and they are proposing to build a Greenway. That should happen. If they decide to open rail, a new alignment will be needed. It would seem utterly nonsensical if it didn't route through Knock International Airport.

Why is that so controversial? FFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

A reminder to all posters - be civil to each other and post respectfully

Its not controversial, just ill thought out.

As mentioned, the elevation would be the biggest issue. For that reason alone, it will never happen.

However, you would also have to cut through 4 SAC's.

The SAC issue would kill any prospect given there is a pre-existing alignment that could be used without impacting said SAC's.

But lets say, for arguments sake, that you could overcome both of those. The price tag of such an endeavor would be astronomical due to the aforementioned geography.

You would be doing this for approx 2,000 pax a day. The majority would not be able to use your service too as it would have a limited catchment and run on too infrequent a schedule due to being a single line.

You could lay on a regular bus service to Castlebar, Galway and Sligo from the airport for a tiny fraction of the price and end up with a better service for end users.

Thank you for responding constructively. To be clear, I'm aware this section of line is unlikely to be opened. If is it, a new alignment could still take in the airport, I believe.

The 4 SACs you refer to are rivers. All rivers + their banks are considered SACs, so this argument is unfair.

The airport is not built on a mountain! It's 200m elevation at the highest. A station would not need to cross the "summit".... a 400m walk north and you're at 160m elevation. The nearest town of Charlestown is at 70m. This is hardly a mega engineering project.

The 4 SACs you refer to are rivers. All rivers + their banks are considered SACs, so this argument is unfair.

Nevertheless, it would be an issue

The airport is not built on a mountain! It's 200m elevation at the highest. A station would not need to cross the "summit".... a 400m walk north and you're at 160m elevation. The nearest town of Charlestown is at 70m. This is hardly a mega engineering project, comments about astronomical costings are unfair and unfounded.

I disagree, especially in the context of a pre-existing alignment

But as you say, its unlikely to happen anyway so its a moot point

I'm in full agreement about the alignments. If ever a viable case could be made for a rail link between Sligo and Galway, then following the old WRC allignment would doom it to failure from the get go.

Realignments would be needed between Collooney and Charlestown, and between Charlestown and Claremorris if it were to have any change of succeeding - the old alignment can't compete with the N17 as it currently is, never mind the N17 if Collooney to Charlestown, or even just Collooney to Tubbercurry, ever gets upgraded.

That said - Knock Airport would still be a non-runner, due to the elevation difference from the airport's location to its surroundings

Well, if the report says the Athenry to Claremorris section should be prioritised for regional investment, then it's not inaccurate!

We really just need to see the damned report!

Baxter Castlebar has just begun moving freight by rail and seems very enthusiastic about connecting to the Western Rail Corridor.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/06/02/baxter-commence-rail-freight-from-mayo-to-waterford-port/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Do you not see a contradiction in you citing climate change concerns as a potential reason to re-open the WRC in one post, then immediately posting that the WRC could be used to allow an “unlimited” number of tourists into Knock airport?

• Advertisement

I'm certainly not suggesting we ban flights or tourism into or out of Ireland. The emissions of the aviation industry is a separate matter to decarbonising our local transport systems.

The aviation industry is taking steps such as more fuel efficient aircraft or a mix of SAFs (sustainable aviation fuels), but again this is a separate issue.

Irish Rail is praising Baxter's ambition in changing over to rail to move their product to Waterford and also their commitment to reducing carbon emissions. Also mentions the possibility of linking to Foynes and the increasing demand from industry to switch to rail.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/06/07/iarnrod-eireann-welcomes-baxter-healthcare-aboard-rail-freight-services-from-mayo-to-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hodges

I see from RTÉ news that the Kiltimagh Velorail has opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Kinda puts an end to any trains back on that section again, anytime soon? Good to see a mini greenway along the middle of it though.

I thought this was a Monorail joke or something. But I see it's very real and looks super cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The joke is on ratepayers.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

€800,000 I think RTE stated the project received in funding. Looked on the booking site there, very limited operating hours.

They might as well have done a KLF and shoved the hundreds of thousands in notes into a fire for all the fúcking good it'll do.

Voters should be asking very hard questions before the next local elections but.. they won't

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was reading into it there, and it all seems so.... not well thought out. You can't go out on your own, staff (I assume volunteers) will cycle along behind, they'll be the ones that open the crossing gates and turn your cart around when you get to the end. There's only one departure time available, 3pm, and it costs €40 no matter the size of the cart used.

Look, far play to them for going through with it, but I can't see how this is better than a greenway. It's significantly worse in every way. You can only use it at certain times, you need a staff member to come with you at all times, you can't bring pets on it, it only fits a standard wheelchair, you can't use it to travel as you have to cycle the cart back at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can't see this being a roaring success. It's pricey, you can't just rock up any old time and all respect to the area it's a tourist backwater and hardly outstandingly scenic.

Their website is vague as to what distance it covers 'several kilometers' and how long the 'experience' takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

A joke. A grudge induced vanity project. €800,000 up in smoke. A town that badly needs infrastructure investment gets a proverbial hot air balloon ride on any given Sunday (when the operator feels up to it) instead.

• Advertisement

Maybe the investigations into the funding pushed them to finally open it

Though I use the word "open" very loosely here

I'm usually positive towards new initiatives but it's hard to see how the velorail will be a success. 40 quid a go as mentioned above and even if it were free realistically how many people will try it more than once. Even the locals won't when they have to pay each time.

The beauty of greenways is that they are free and you have more autonomy in that you can go on them anytime you like and choose a length suitable for your fitness levels or time constraints. They also appeal to walkers and joggers.

I wish the velorail well and I hope I am proven wrong but it's difficult to see it working.

How the hell did that "brainwave" ever get past the most cursory examination? Somebody somewhere must be on the take because it's stupidity beyond belief.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It requires tracks so was acceptable to those who think that train services might be reinstated. At this stage, it's less about what goes on the alignment and more about keeping a greenway off it for some people. MCC are of that mindset too and have the experience and resources to put into dressing up grant applications regardless of how poor the rationale is.

The folly of it will become clear quite quickly, they'll have to keep it open for all of this summer but I'd be amazed if it sees out next summer. This whole experience will do wonders for Greenways going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tom.....

With the road crossings i suppose they have to restrict it, that knock road is busy

3pm *3 weekly you'd wonder where they got the original projections from

It looks dead in the water €40 a shot they'll be lucky to break into double figures a week

It's mad money what are they thinking

I'm assuming they'll be mostly going northbound on the less busy kilkelly side

Closing the knock road is no small undertaking for a procession of carriages . Would it not have been simpler to depart north of the kilkelly crossing from where the carriages are stored ,forget the southside and dispense with road crossings altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'm sure those who operate the project have done all of their homework and made the decisions from there.

presumably if there is decent usage then operating hours and more volunteers will happen.

obviously the council were convinced by the arguments of the promotors of the project beyond reasonable doubt hence the funding.

realistically there is no big thing here, just people crying foul because they didn't get their greenway, which is fine but is not reason to think there is anything amiss or dodgy with this project.

it has opened when doubters said it wouldn't, it is open and whether it will be successful or not time will tell.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

"time will tell" Translation; "I too am not overly convinced of its success"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

"doubters" ?

Sure it was only a tiny little project

A shed few gates and signs repair a bit of track

Buy in the carriages

• Advertisement

It's incorrect to say people here have doubts about it just because it isn't a greenway. It can be judged on its own merits separately. I for one just don't think it will be a success based on the reasons already stated. I honestly hope I'm wrong though.

I'm not convinced people will drive out of their way to pedal a contraption at a designated time that goes from Kiltimagh to a few miles outside Kiltimagh and back again. That's all it is, that's it.

Unremarkable scenery and no great engineering features of note. Even if it was a greenway and free to use it wouldn't have the volumes of Westport-achill or Waterford-dungarvan.

pedal a contraption at a designated time that goes from Kiltimagh to a few miles outside Kiltimagh and back again

😂😂😂 I still think it sounds Great!

Can someone volunteer to actually do it and report back?! I won't be in the area for a few weeks.

I'm baffled as to why anyone would go on it though. Maybe you'll get some who will try it once but its unlikely you'll ever get repeat trade for what is, essentially, a cycle at the pace of the slowest, supervised, on a set track, at a set time, for 40 quid a head and only available when someone volunteers to run it

What donkey thought giving this nearly 1 million in public funding was a good idea. Its no wonder the funding shenanigans are under investigation. Something smells off about the whole venture

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Look, it may turn out to be a success, and I actually wish them well doing it, but I just can't see it. There's just so much weirdness about it, from the cost, to the requirement for volunteers, to the schedules, almost everything about it tells me that it's going to be a failure.

Can anyone imagine someone going on this twice? Like, someone from Mayo, driving to Kiltimagh, and then paying €40 a second time to do this? It's definitely a one and done thing, and once the greenway opens up the road, this is going to pale significantly in comparison. That's going to have repeat users from all around.

Meanwhile, in Sligo CoCo, the greenway project (free, use any time, no supervision etc) moves ahead to public consultation

Galway CoCo look to be moving to a design stage as well for their section I think. Anyone know what became of the feasibility study there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

How do they justify the €40 fee when the equipment was paid for by the taxpayer and it is being run by "volunteers"? I would have thought insurance could have fallen under MCC general PL.

It sounds dead boring, chaperoned "fun".

Maybe the concept would work well in an established, especially scenic tourist circuit where you need only grab them once, but not in a part of Mayo where a tourist is a rare sight.

Locals may try it once, if the cost doesn't put them off, and that's it.

How much was raised locally, surely they had to get a decent chunk themselves?

• Advertisement

Its all public funding

300k through Mayo CoCo

200k through LEADER

and the rest through some other allocations e.g. Ring approved a 120k allocation that ended up in the papers because it was against the rules.

Mayo CoCo ended up having to pay back 80k to the govt when they got caught

There's also questions over the allocation of EU funding with talks of audits and investigations happening due to that as well

All in all, it looks like a right mess and may end up causing some kind of a tribunal before its all said and done due to the amount of rule breaking in the funding allocations to this particular project

Advertisement