Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Seems to me that with the amount of stalling that Trump's legal team will inevitably try, there's the chance that Trump could be elected president again and then pardon himself of all wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

As soon as it was discovered that Clinton/Biden or Pence had retained classified documents, they handed them over.

Trump took them, knew he had them, hid them, was asked to hand them back, lied about hiding them, was raided, hid some more, tried to get his lawyers to lie to the government and so forth.

Massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ok so, not so much the crime but the cover up a la Dick Tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's loads of differences, start with the indictment. Here's a great writeup:

As then-FBI Director James Comey explained while closing the Hillary Clinton email investigation: “All the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice” (emphasis added). Note that this indictment specifically contains allegations as well of two other of the key aggravating factors Comey noted at the time: obstruction of justice and clearly intentional mishandling of material. 

If readers recall there was no evidence basis for Hillary intentionally obstructing justice or intending misconduct or disloyalty to the US. Also recall Republican talking points couldn't even settle on where her "server" was - depending on the troll and the argument it was in her "closet" it was in her "bathroom" it was in her "bedroom" it was in her "basement" all at the same time. Here... that's all actually true, with actual evidence:

In his basement

In his ballroom

In his **** bathroom, which also shows sign of active use.

The indictment lays out how Trump tried to play various attorneys against each other, with documentary evidence and testimony from those lawyers, such as even trying to instruct lawyers to simply lie about having documents or to remove them themselves to their own hotel rooms. To 1 lawyer Trump couldn't defeat the moral scruples of, they ordered them away, and then had another person, Nauta, with no such scruples, move documents boxes around first so Trump could look through them again, then return a portion of the boxes (I guess stuff he didn't care about keeping) back to where the first lawyer knew they were supposed to be, and had them return a handful of documents to DOJ/NARA and certify all documents were returned (which, was a lie, they were being shuffled around). They also have texts showing Nauta was instructed to move the documents between Florida and New Jersey. He also made mobster like suggestions to his lawyers, like repeatedly relaying a false story to them about Hillary ordering her lawyers to destroy her server data/blackberries, and repeatedly inferring to them they should be doing the same thing for him. Basically, he was looking for a Roy Cohn or a Saul Goodman:

Well I guess in right wing media it will be just a sandstorm of Clinton and Biden…..weaponisation of justice department…… but I don’t think any of that will play in court…. Seems like to quote breaking bad …

• Advertisement

It's probably important not to be celebratory though or engage in high levels of schadenfreude, because the extreme alt-right fascist types will not respond well to impotence and humiliation (all of which were in overwhelming supply in 2020 when Biden won). Most people on the right need to find the exit ramp and need to be given it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Great twitter thread summary of the indictment

It really seems this whole scheme was just really really stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They don't want an exit ramp. Trumps failure to achieve anything in office should have been it. The election defeat should have been it. The lies about election fraud should have been it.

His performance around Jan 6th should have been it.

His losing the case of Carroll should have been it.

His payment to stormy Daniels should have been it.

Yesterday's multiple indictments should have been it.

But none of it was and nothing will be. There is no point trying to look to appease his base, they are not interested.

Are you surprised, it coming from Mr. Stare at the Sun, Mr. Why don't we nuke the hurricane? He's incredibly, incredibly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,308 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The difference is two parts:

1) When the DOJ came to Biden he and his aides likely were fully and immediately cooperative. Trump instead tried to hide documents, falsely claimed all of them were handed over. The intent to obstruct is in evidence within the unsealed indictment

2) We also have in evidence Trump showing highly secret military intelligence to multiple people lacking security clearance

But most importantly, we have Trump on audio admitting that what he is doing is illegal and that he is aware of it. These would be very difficult crimes to prove if Donald Trump didn’t have such an ego that he’d be loud mouthing how classified the stuff he was showing off to his golf buddies was.

Don’t forget there is also what Trump said about this stuff years ago, and how he passed legislation that increases the seriousness of this whole business:

https://youtube.com/shorts/OSus3lMyEQA?feature=share

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

No, its serious. Don’t you see it’s all Caps?

News outlets still calculating that Trump equals ratings for them. Sky News has a dedicated stream of Trump's speech at a Republican convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

This amused me for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

That’s because they tend to be made up of people previously described.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There is zero chance of Trump getting elected again.

He has lost independent voters in key swing states. If it wasn't evident in 2020, it repeated itself in 2022 when the GOP should have been taking both the House (by a much bigger majoirity) and the Senate.

Paddy Power would not agree that Trump has zero chance of being elected again. He has way more chance than a man under federal indictment has any right to , whatsoever, but this is where America is. If we learn ed nothing else's from 2016, we should refrain from writing him off or else sleepwalk into that whole fiasco again.

In the January 6/DC case: Pence ended up answering most of the courts questions, almost nothing was protected by executive privilege:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There were many reasons trump won in 2016 (And he did win that election. Not the popular vote but he won the election). As has been said previously, he marketed himself as a break from the norm. For all anyone know, had Clinton gotten in It could have been:

• George HW Bush 1989 - 1993
    • Bill Clinton 1993 - 1997
    • Bill Clinton 1997 - 2001
    • George W Bush 2001 - 2005
    • George W Bush 2005 - 2009
    • Barack Obama 2009 - 2013
    • Barack Obama 2013 - 2017
    • Hilary Clinton 2017 -2021
    • Hilary Clinton 2021 - 2025?
    • Michelle Obama 2025 - 2029?
    • Michelle Obama 2029 - 2033?

On top of that, Clinton was not was not well liked - She came across as cold and not particularly pleasant.

But trump and his team did an excellent job of sowing doubt about her trustworthiness: The mails. Lock Her Up etc. This was part of his campaign. Was one of his tentpole promises.

So the reason we are hearing so little defence from his cultists (Outside of 2-trick meme-ponies - 1: Biden's old 2: everyone else who dislikes trump is a physically ugly snowflake. You know the guy) is that now it is EXACTLY 180 degrees flipped. What is being said NOW is EXACTLY what they were chanting in 2016: The-Leader-Is-Good. The-Leader-Is-Great. Lock-her-up. Emails. There is no difference between trump's call to "Lock Her Up" and today - Apart from scale. That and I haven't heard Biden say about trump: "If [she] he gets to pick [her] his judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”

Now this is not a revelation. This is no great insight. We all know it. Even the trumpbutts and buttrumps. But don't worry. He was right about the golf. That'll make up for everything. So they'll swoop in again with about Hunter's Laptop (Remember that?) or Musk being a genius and likes trump or somesuch. When asked a question (Or even to expand upon, prove or quantify their post) they will disappear again.

At the moment I'm probably 60/40 on the side that he will be convicted - Certainly to a degree that he is ineligible. But who knows. Years ago I had plans with family to go to Washington in 2019. I'd been before but others hadn't. I wanted to go to the Smithsonian Air and Space for 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. We put it off as none of us wanted to be there while he was in office. Plan was to go there when he was out of office. But we have put it off for good now. The country is not the place I spent so much time in in the late 90s, early 2000s. The optimism is gone - Replaced by xenophobia. It is small-minded, intolerant, fearful and angry. I would love to go to the new Star Wars section in Disneyland there (Just not the soon-to-be-closed "hotel" :). I WANNA walk around that full-scale Millennium Falcon!) but would not feel right going to a place that would not welcome some of my friends. To a state that hates them. I am not denying their right... I'm just not gonna support it financially.

It really is sad to see.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

2016 and 2020 were two completely different elections.

2016 he was given the benefit of the doubt and he was up against Hillary Clinton, who was the worst candidate Democrats could have picked.

2020 he lost independent voters in key swing states (who decide the election, and nobody else). This was doubled down in 2022, when he was trying to take the limelight during the mid-terms and all of his candidates who were in close-fought elections lost. And many of them in safer House seats were much closer than they would have liked.

I don’t care what Paddy Power says. The Trump brand is toxic for anyone outside of the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, his special brand of magic cost the GOP the Senate due to the Georgia elections. Even a Trumpistan like Georgia found him offensive, and he's worse now.

Everything Trump Touches Dies, including the Republican Party. Hopefully not the USA.

I hate to say it, but he's right....

And look how the idiots clap!!

God bless Daniel, continually calling Trump on his utter Bullsh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Haven't been posting lately as I'm backpacking around Africa for a few months. But jesus this last few days has just been giggidy giggidy giggidy. Its been glorious and the MAGA meltdown on Twitter has been a joy to watch, the big pack of snowflakes

I'm not sure if the timeline can handle it but what I'd really love to see now is Trump going to prison while simultaneously running for President. That would make the election in 2024 literally an opportunity for Americans to go to the ballot box and use their vote to keep Trump in prison. After the sh1t he has put that country through it would be the ultimate way for them to finally finish Trump off. Ticking a box to keep Trump in prison would be so satisfying that the turnout would hit record numbers.

@everlast75

And look how the idiots clap!!

"I love the poorly educated!"

the “always a tweet” rule is back in play at least since Elon republished his old feed:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just watched a bit of an interview of Jim Jordan by Dana Bash on CNN. The fact that Jordan is a public representative, elected by the public, should be a source of shame for all Americans. The guy is an absolute fruit loop. He'd rather see the US and its allies burned to the ground than say anything against The Donald.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement