Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Newly qualified would net €710/week at the moment. Im a long ways off being qualified due to lack of training facilities in this country, 5 years plus to get qualified because of that and ive heard of fellas at it 6 years and still not qualified through no fault of there own.

Seems to be a running theme in this country lack of facilities and services. Push apprenticeships strongly and get the numbers registering as apprentices up but dont bother set up training centres for certain trades. Send out a tweet in 12 different languages saying everyones welcome and will get their own door accomadation shortly after arrival, yet we had a homelessness crisis when that tweet was put out.

Better living everyone

• I have HUGE criticisms of this country, and try and do my tiny speck of effort from time to time to force change. There are other countries I like visiting, but they have their drawbacks as far as living in them is concerned:

UK: English speaking, diverse, some fabulous places like my beloved Scottish Isles, but I can probably visit throes more easily from Dublin than London. Though I absolutely love Scotland, weather too often sh1te.

Norway: the s every is magnificent, great standard of living, no/low poverty, low crime, everyone speaks English & Norwegian easiest language of all to learn, good social equality, but winter weather tough, very dark up north, and the Norwegians despair of that. West coast mildest.

Spain: always feel relaxed in Spain, there’ll be someone understanding English and your efforts at Spanish will generally be greeted with an effort to understand. Good medical care, decent society, if you have a disability people will readily help, as I found out bringing my mother regularly in a wheelchair. Mum always lived the mature women of the villages who had a canny ability to help her into the bathroom. Spain has a good diversity of climates, regions and cultures, but even the wet stormy north is generally not too cold in winter. Would be a contender for me.

Slovenia: beautiful little country where things generally work very well, there’s a high standard of living, low crime rate, and everyone is fluent in English. It would be a contender, adjacent to other beautiful countries too. Ljubljana a bit small though.

Canada: a massive country with a lot going for it, the great outdoors at its best, friendly, culturally easy to assimilate, but atrociously cold winters and abrupt changes of season. I seen it as far east as Newfoundland, as far west as Vancouver. Vancouver perhaps most “moderate” climate. Brrrr

Australia: mostly very hot, cities very far from each other, the bush and desert are harsh places right on the doorstep of cities, very gar away. I visited on holidays, found it friendly in that you could strike up a casual chat easily, felt a bit like Ireland in that respect. Lots of swimming pools about, vibrant cities, I felt a sense of bonhomie about, and I believe medical facilities good. Oz runs some of world’s safest airlines, so there’s a good cultural sense of attention to detail. Oz is far far from Ireland, but I have a good friend who thoroughly enjoys her life there having met and married a steadfast local and heavily embraced into his family and community.

There plenty other nice places, but given the balance of a relatively even climate, relative lack of earthly dangers, and a lot of potential that could make it so much better, my own vote is to base myself in Ireland wherever I may venture for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Unless you have a certain job qualification ,eg doctor ,nurse ,high level computer programmer you ll won't make alot of money going to Australia ,eg you ,ll be spending alot of money on rent ,commuting to work plane tickets to Oz are expensive it s ridiculous to go to Australia to work on building sites or cafes in a standard office jobs

You'll probably get homesick and miss you friends and family

It might make sense to go to work in the UK as you can get a job maybe pay less tax and buy a house cheaper than in Ireland if you are prepared to work outside London

I think the 4 k you will save in tax will be spent on rent and commuting expenses and expensive plane tickets

I presume most Irish people emigrate to America or the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’m a Aus citizen having moved here 11 years ago.

Blue collar tradie, work week on week off and have all I want here with the money I earn. It’s gotten pricey in the last few years for week to week expenses.

I was home for the first time in 6 years last month and Ireland is more expensive if you compare the wages available to the cost of living. Love the place, on a good day there’s no better scenery but I’d be loathe to move back here. The bile and hatred for this unlucky enough to end up in temporary accom in Ireland is horrendous.

Perth is an awesome city, only a few months of summer where it’s unpleasantly hot and mild enough winters (piissing rain this week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I understand we have a serious problem our services are not keeping up with the increase in population we have high rents high house prices

most of gen z is priced out of the market unless they can get help from their parents they have a choice stay here or go to a country that has cheaper rents and house prices in line with average income

The cost of living is rising with inflation

Gen z is voting for sinn fein as they have lost faith in Fianna fail fine Gael

I you were cynical you might say more Irish people but they are being replaced by foreign workers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

For a long time, I've regretted the idea that I am not a father. However the more I see the developments in the world the happier I am not having a child. The young generation doesn't really have a decent future anymore. and parenting them is getting more and more difficult.

One can negate the reality, but it's a very sad truth and that's not only in Ireland. I'd say it's worse in the UK, exacerbated due to Brexit, but also in Canada, or even countries like Germany.

Our generation had it better, albeit no flat rate internet, netflix or cell phones.

I think most Western countries will have to come up with a system of longer term tenancy and the removal of no fault evictions. We will increasingly be dealing with a whole new younger generation which will never ever own their own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Ask a farmer or a person of an agricultural background if the weather is bad in Ireland. You will get a very different informed answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I saw them discussing this on Reddit Canada the other day. Lots of skilled immigrants are leaving Canada because it's so expensive there at the moment. I know Oz has crazy house prices. All of these countries seem to think they have it the worst. Maybe Ireland isn't so bad after all, nowhere is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Perth is the dullest city in the Western World imo.

Nice weather though yeah.

Glad you're getting on well there, each to their own as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, he is saying that most teachers don't live past 65, teachers can retire on full pension as early as 60, and on reduced pension even earlier aged 55. A few years ago, the average retirement age of teachers was below 60.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm in the UK. To be honest, the only thing that now stops me going to Ireland for good is the housing situation. It looks like it's somehow even worse than here which is saying something. I do love living here but I don't like where it's going. I don't know if anywhere else in Europe would be better. I only speak English and my skillset is niche so I don't see anyone in Europe hiring me any time soon sadly.

I was just in the Netherlands and it's lovely, clean and everyone speaks fluent English. Only issue is the Kamikaze cyclists.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well it's not terribly difficult to learn a language, it just take an attitude and an opportunity. I have a hearing impediment and yet I learned to speak two Swiss dialects - that have no written form and no language schools. When you are hearing it around you all the time you'll just pick it up.

The cycling and the low cost of living are reason I'd consider moving there (already retired)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

All countries in the Anglo Sphere have one big weakness - they all have it in the DNA that a housing policy based on people taking on huge amounts of debt or relying on social services to put a roof over ones head is a good idea.... and that is very different to most of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Heard similar story/stats from my cousins nursing class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Not trying to be funny here but in regards to your Uncle, how is he left with hardly anything at end of week after clearing €750 when he's mortgage free and gets fuel paid for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This !

Enjoy Marno , and say hi to our kid for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’m intrigued to what you mean when you refer to dull?

Is it the lack of rubbish blowing down the footpath? Maybe the scarcity of Junkies opening using and dealing on Hay street Mall? Or maybe it’s the way you can walk anywhere at night time and not have some scobe with his socks tucked over his tracksuit try and rob you?

Possibly you are referring to the night life? Im 42 years of age, couldn’t give a flying fúck if it’s not banging tunes on a Tuesday night or cirque du Soleil every weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It's the same in many countries in Asia, it's nothing specifically to do with the Anglo Sphere. Its to do with the local culture in each country (the big face of owning a house and even requirement for marriage) along with demographics (the ole supply/demand) and interest rates and taxes. Low interest rates in particular are the energy behind the bubbles.

Where the anglo sphere might have a shared factor is high immigration rates and lax controls on foreigners buying housing and land. Also the cost of living has rocketed particularly quickly in these Anglo sphere countries as the government usually applies heavy taxes on almost everything but does not subsidise energy or fuel allowing the private sector to hoover up profits thru a simile of a free market e.g. Ireland's energy market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's fair enough. My issue is that since I speak English, there's no point in me learning another language since I wouldn't use it. I've applied for a few jobs in the continent but I've had no luck.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

@ancapailldorcha if you learn another language you more than likely would use it especially if you learn a language to seek employment and live on the continent. I speak French and live in Ireland. Yet I use it when in France. It allows you to communicate with people. It has allowed me to make friends with people who don’t speak English. I use it in Ireland also on occasion with French people who live here and sometimes (not often) tourists as I don’t work in the tourist Industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Eitherways, that claim he made is a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So when you talk about increases in travel, food, houses, alcohol which have all increased since the depths of the crash, you refer to cost restoration? And you have no problem with house prices getting restored to those seen at the height of the bubble?

That's fair enough. My problem is that I don't see the point unless I'm going to regularly use it. I work in a place with a lot of Spanish speakers and if I was going to move to Spain, I'd have a lot more motivation.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Definitely wouldn't say it's ridiculous to go to Australia to work on "building sites", there's huge money in Australia in construction, massive infrastructure projects all over the country, commercial and residential property boom in the big cities ongoing for decades. Obviously the latter won't last forever, but will for another few years at least so would suit a young Irish person for a couple of years, whether they be a qualified engineer or an unskilled labourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I don't know are you referencing Dublin in your first bit there? I've never lived in Dublin but some parts are a kip I agree.

Yeah pretty much I mean nightlife, also culture. There's no good pubs imo. The place where most Irish pubs are (Northbridge) is a dump and just as rough as Dublin.

There's just not much interesting going on culturally, although Freo is a nice place and quite different to Perth.

I do like the Footie to be fair.

Also re your age, I'd say you're only 42 - don't be giving up on enjoying yourself yet 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I was away last weekend at an event with a large group of lads (about 50) ranging in ages from 23 to 45.

Most of the lads (I'd say 60%) in their 20's are leaving (have tickets bought) or are planning to leave very soon.

That being said most of that 60% were planning to just try it for a year.

Messy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, it depends on the person and circumstances. I live in a Francophone country but got by for years with just basic french and am having to make a very concerted effort to improve it. And I suck at learning languages it seems. Working in a foreign language is a big hurdle, and if you are working in English then the incentive is not there as much. (and yes, there is an inherent laziness possible by speaking english).

Advertisement