Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is what we all thought, and presumed, but the gantries (although they are crap) are saying different at the moment. The width of the approach being built from the N25E to the tunnel seems to be two lane throughout by eyeballing Dronehawks videos, which is leading me to start to think we'll end up with two lanes from N25E to tunnel, and that traffic coming from the M8 Dublin will have to merge into the right hand lane going into the tunnel. And given the shockingly poor merging lane lengths on this scheme so far (M8N and M8S to N25E), I don't think it'll be a very good solution.

I don't like that idea, I much prefer one lane from the N25E and one from the M8 flowing neatly into the tunnel. But I've yet to be convinced that thats what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

The short merging lane onto M8N is temporary. In the final configuration it will be a more normal length. They communicated this in one of the newsletters way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Amazing video from Dronehawk - just shows the scale of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Thanks for the replies. Be interesting to see which it turns out to be. Although the 50 yard merge they left when you swing left off the city link at the Kinsale Roundabout to head towards Douglas/Tunnel doesn't auger well for their approach to merge length!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I may have said this previously when looking at one of these videos but I think it's worth saying again. Given the number of interchanges, links, diverges, roundabouts that all have to be delivered with a very constrained area and with a train line running through it this really is an incredible piece of engineering and planning. I'm sure there have been compromises that have had to be made given the nature of it all but when this is open it's going to be an remarkable piece of infrastructure and a real boon to the city.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is amazing. The one compromise really is the M8S to Tivoli link, which will pass through two mini roundabouts and I know is going to cause a flood of critisism and a lot of whiny politicians.

In reality that extra link is incredibly difficult to engineer in, and would have required an extra level on the interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Big month starting tomorrow.

I'm really getting sick of queuing in the evenings for the tunnel by Smyths toys on the Kinsale flyover.

Opening of the filter lane to town and removal of traffic lights from Tivoli to DKI should help with the ridiculous northbound traffic situation in the evenings.

Based on the signage on the northern approach to the JLT from Mahon it looks like left hand lane for town and East Cork, right hand lane Dublin.

As is this is not a healthy balance as I'd wager 80÷ of the traffic going thru the tunnel currently is heading to town or to the East.

The right hand lane always flows faster and you get the BMWs/Audi's etc cutting into the left hand lane at last second before the roundabout.

Hopefully that is not the plan for the lanes when the interchange opens, or the interchange works so well it does not matter but I'd be doubtful of that at peak hours.

There are two lanes going on the new part of the slip to N25E, so I would hazard a guess that both lanes of the tunnel will actually go N25E, with slips to the left and right for Tivoli and Dublin respectively.

Hopefully the signage will be updated and not remain shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

The lane closure for the Tramore Valley footbridge isn't helping much either....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

You can't judge the final flows based on current traffic: right now, heading North and East from the tunnel is less restricted than heading West towards the City. When the Tunnel-City slip opens, that bottleneck will clear, and the flows will even out.

Ideally yes, however the lights at the Tivoli roundabout my still impact the left hand lane of the tunnel which would also impact east bound traffic - time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

... deleted, been posted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Eastbound carriageway on the roundabout flyover has now been lined having been resurfaced last week.

Appears that work is recommencing on the embankment south of the existing roundabout.

Eastbound carriageway was lined on the night of May 30th

I didn’t think the yellow dashed lining to indicate the hard shoulder was previously done.

Great new video from Drone Hawk.

I’m not sure where Drone Hawk is getting all this information and dates.

To summarise. Most of the new links will open in late June or early July. However, the mainline tunnel to M8 north will not move to the right until later this year along with the N25 west to M8 north slip. The N25 west to M8 north movement will temporarily be facilitated by going to the Dunkettle roundabout and doubling back and using the N8 east to M8 north slip.

Drone Hawk claims that all lights will be removed from the roundabout by late July. This is possible if all the slips mentioned are open. It would mean that all traffic heading north out of the tunnel would no long have any lights to deal with.

That would be excellent if that were the case! Perhaps he knows someone on the project. Or maybe he just emailed them and asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I would imagine this is just part of their plan to get the information out to the public, and maybe tomorrow's newsletter will contain the same information (not as hopeful on that though).

• Advertisement

Todays newsletter -

• We hope to progress a temporary tie-in between Link M/Structure ST04 and the N25 Westbound on the weekend of Friday the 23rd of June 2023 - see layout plan above and photograph below.
    • The works required will necessitate the closure of the N25 Westbound diverge to the Dunkettle Interchange Roundabout. It is proposed to close this diverge between 8pm and 9pm on Friday, the 23rd June 2023 with the diverge reopening as quickly as possible but not later than 12 noon on Sunday the 25th June 2023.
    • The main diversion route will be via the R623 through Little Island and it will also be possible to access the Jack Lynch Tunnel via a U-turn at the Tivoli Roundabout.

The works are being carried out under weekend/night-time working in order to minimise disruption to traffic but additional time should be allowed for journeys in the area during peak times on Saturday the 24th June 2023.

Interesting one this - they are going to do a tie in from the new Little Island south roundabout towards Tivoli, and presumably open the new roads to facilitate N25W to tunnel traffic.

Not quite what I predicted, but it means that a lot of traffic can be taken off the roundabout. And a lot of circulating traffic too. I'd have to think about it more, but it means the crossing movements (M8S to Tivoli mostly, and Little Island to N25W) can be taken off the roundabout. In theory, I THINK that means that the big one, tunnel to N25E can be made freeflow as, with the opening of the loop from Tivoli to tunnel and a few diversions, there is no need for traffic lights there anymore.

We wont mention that that weekend will be utter pandemonium, but it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh where to set up the deck chair and popcorn to see that chaos, should be fun. But yeah, will be worth it

I’m not sure I fully understand what I’d happening. Are they saying that they are opening a temporary link to go from the dumbbell south roundabout onto the n25 westbound towards Tivoli.

Won’t this require an at grade junction with the N25 to roundabout diverge if the original diverge reopens?

Isn’t it much more likely that part of the new alignment will open to remove the need to fan at grade junction as ST04 will be used?

I don't think the original diverge will reopen. I think they'll push N25W to tunnel traffic onto the new lanes, and under the new bridges, where it'll join the current lights at the roundabout. Then you can do the temp link quite easily - there will be no traffic needing to "cross" it

That sounds like the obvious scenario. Interested to see how fast they can get a temporary link done. I think the following quote was just poorly written in the newsletter:

“with the diverge reopening as quickly as possible but not later than 12 noon on Sunday the 25th June 2023”

They’ll need to build a small embankment over the current N25 to roundabout slip.

This one change will be transformative. Having no lights at the exit if the tunnel is the one biggest reason for this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Access to the old Dunkettle roundabout is closed tonight (at least Westbound), and I didn't see any adequate information about how to get to the city. After coming out of the tunnel (Northbound) and finding access towards Tivoli closed, I took two trips to Little Island via both exits off the N25 and followed signs for Cork, but ended up in a loop. I finally chose my own route through Glanmire.

I did see a "diverted traffic" sign on the DKI roundabout, but I wasn't sure if it was for me (as I saw no previous indication that there was a diversion) and it looked like it may have been sending me up the M8!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

In case you’re not aware, the DKI project team has been at pains to point out in the last couple of newsletters that the closure you’re referring to and the resurfacing that necessitated it are unrelated to the DKI project. Different contractor.

Badly needed as well, the Glanmire Roundabout looked like it had been ploughed in places.

Bad for years, especially the exit from the roundabout going towards Midleton. Shocking.

• Advertisement

I see they are raising the road surface right at the end of the M8 where cars will eventually start travelling north.

Suspect southbound traffic will be diverted over this raised section temporarily while they raise the final section on the southbound carriage in a few months.

Advertisement