Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Whats going on with Cannon? Having second thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

likeliest, he’s not Irish, he’s English. You are your nationality or your parents’ nationality. No one is their grandparents’ nationality. He might end up playing for us if it’s good for his career.

why we have to do this dance of surprise when an English man wants to play for England is beyond me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I don't think anyone has an issue with a player wanting to play for their home country. The issue has been these foreign players playing for us at underage level (and senior), taking caps away from Irish or foreign born players who actually want to play for us, and then when they hit a purple patch of form suddenly decide they're no longer interested.

that doesn’t really acknowledge that every granny ruler playing for Ireland is choosing us as a second choice so if we are annoyed at this then the fans should make known their displeasure at underage matches and via Twitter at squad announcements.

but instead fans play along by accepting all granny rulers to play at all age groups and then get excited when some of the granny rulers show signs of coming good but then act affronted when the player chooses or equivocates towards their first preference.

ideally fifa would close the granny rule, because no one is the nationality of one of their grandparents. If 2 or 3 of your grandparents is Irish then maybe they should be eligible but one grandparent is too tenuous a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't like to see that rule change. If you have an Irish grandparent, you are eligible for Irish citizenship... I'd hate to see a situation where certain Irish citizens, with Irish passports, are not allowed to represent Ireland. Feels a bit 'second class citizen', which seems a dodgy path to start going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

At least the Cannon dilemma is out of the way early and didn't drag on too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Is it out of the way though. As said in Kenny's press conference the lad is supposedly on standby for the seniors. Now to me it's probably all waffle covering for the player but this will drag out till September when the U21s campaign kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Wolftown

Anyone know if there are any tickets available for the match in Athens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The final away allocation of 2,600 was fulfilled in the past 24 hours.

Home tickets still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Wolftown

Thanks, will keep an eye out

• Advertisement

the study the fai commissioned into Irish national football facilitate is out.

It’s never good when your own national association puts “national training centre” in quotation marks…

what’s going on with the no changing rooms? Can anyone expand on this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

My reading is that the changing rooms aren't at a standard expected for elite international players as opposed to none at all.

Ok, yes that makes sense, I didn’t realize it was a bit of a kip.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's the most coherent document ever put forward by the FAI I think, it highlights the stark issues facing football in this countries and has some semblance of a plan for what's needed to rectify. It's expensive but they've put together a good business case on why the money should be given, where it goes and what benefits it has for the community and thus the state.

Hopefully now it's followed up on and pushed at all level as opposed to just released and ignored.

Whatever about getting money from the government to improve Irish football as a whole they definitely need to be all over UEFA like a fly on **** to get funds through their Elite Youth Academy Programme to develop a national academy.

Northern Ireland saw themselves qualify for the elite stage of the U17 and U19 for the first time ever last season. That's a big step for a country that were one of the worst.

Israel though have had a great 2022 and 2023 so far. Runners up at the 2022 U19 Euros which qualifed them for the U20s WC were they play Uruguay tonight in the semis after beating Brazil 3-2 in the QF. Plus they unfortunately qualifed ahead of us for the U21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That report might be the most realistic and professional thing that the Fai have ever done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yes, but against a very, very low bar.

Given their history (and I know there have been changes since the JD days) they need to demonstrate their house is in order before getting more government finding (IMHO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair I though the presentation was very professional and well thought out as well as looking to me like it is exactly what we need approach wise to maximize the substantial potential for the game in Ireland. In terms of demonstrating they are getting their house in order the announcement that the debt which the Delaney regime almost bankrupted the FAI with when he left was roughly 64m. That has now been reduced by 20m to about 44m. Still a ways to go but in a relatively short time that is a very clear and solid demonstration of significant financial progress on the part of the new FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

What I can't understand is how they haven't been able to sign a new sponsor of the senior men's team? Are they asking too much and not taking into account the decline in quality of the team(and thus profile/prestige) ...seems like low hanging fruit to pick as a revenue stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Even the stadium proposals for LOI teams seems good. Start with a main stand of good quality to get people in and then grow as attendances grow.

That shows a long term planning that we haven' t seem before. Add to that the amount already taken off the debt as well as the grassroots and youth development proposals and it really seems like the FAI are getting their house in order.

Shane Duffy signs for Norwich on a three year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Looks like a good move for him with regular football and a decent possibility of PL football after a year.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Very good signing for Norwich (fingers crossed) and should see regular game time even more so with Grant Hanley out for awhile and Omobamidele possibly being used to raise funds. Will have a point to prove this season especially to get his place back with Ireland. Can see him being their player of the season.

Everton have also offered Coleman a new contract which is no surprise. Experience alone Dyche would want him in the dressing room for what's gonna be another hard season.

Big surprise though that Luton Town are supposedly looking at Travers as a possible signing. Have also talked to Asmir Begovic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

It would be a great move for Travers if he went to Luton as their number 1. Can't see why they wouldn't sign Horvath instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Excellent move for Shane Duffy, hope he's got well paid and plays regularly. His last real proper paycheck I'd say. Good to see the 3 year contract. On the training camp in Turkey, it's going on for some length isn't it. Great to have access to the players for a sustained period. Hard not to get a touch of cabin fever with these end of season internationals so late into June though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

It is surprising it has gone on this long. Even if they felt they should be getting more then currently offers are maybe sign something more short term to at least bring in some revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,994 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

If he isn't committed, I'd rather draw a line under him now rather than have another Rice saga.

Personally, I doubt he will be getting a look in at senior level for England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

On the Cannon situation, hopefully he decides to stick with us but best of luck to him if he goes for England. It would be disappointing but them is the rules and we've benefitted from them ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The next Bamford. 1 cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

After reading everything that I could find it seems that he won't be an option in the future. Best of luck to him in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep best of luck to him but I do feel in terms of a senior international career he'd be better off with us as he's extremely unlikely to make it as a senior England international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Probably not even - I could more understand him choosing to leave now if the senior team were interested, but they're only looking for him to join up with the U-21s, and if he plays a competitive game for them even underage then he can't switch back to us. Most likely situation if he goes is he gets a few England U21 games, and that's the end of his international career. I'd still reckon if, as the article states, they all have a chat after this international window and Kenny tells him he's interested in him for the seniors, that he may stick around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You say "best of luck" to him but I don't because I'm getting pissed off with these players we put scarce resources and time into underage only to see them switch to England at the critical moment.

Tom Cannon is by no means the worst example but it's the same principle.

I know the agents are at them to switch too but to me it's just wrong.

We should just put an end to recruiting players for our underage teams if they are born overseas. There's no benefit whatsoever towards our senior international side.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I think Grealish left Ireland to join the England u 21's but he was playing in the premier league then with Villa? or was it in the championship?

There is a benefit though, suppose Josh Cullen was told by the fai that when he declared for Ireland at under 19; “thanks but no thanks”. Would he be interested in coming into the senior side setup years later. Probably but he might be like “ah forget it”.

likewise would we have been able to steal McGeady and McCarthy off Scotland if we didn’t offer them youth international caps when the scots were asleep? Definitely not.

youre right in saying if we don’t want to get embarrassed like this we shouldn’t call up dual nationality players at underage but saying it offers no benefit to us is demonstrably incorrect.

Villa were in the Prem at the time and Grealish had made his breakthrough but wasn't a regular.

I think there seems to be an an attitude amongst a lot of people that you're either Irish or your not. Nationality isn't as clear cut as it used to be with the way the world works now. You've guys born here to foreign parents, who maybe moved over at a young age, who have been transient their whole lives, who's parent might be from two different countries but live in a third, people living in one country but brought up in the culture of another, people who lived in one country their whole lives but are treated differently in that culture because they look different etc. They might feel Nigerian and Irish, English and Irish and a bit Scottish, Indian and Irish, Irish and Indian, Chinese and Irish etc...

It might be because of our history with England that we get so worked up over this, but it's this history that means it's happening in the first place, mass migration etc.

Someone might feel both Irish and English, they might feel one more than the other. They're also professional footballers who aspire to play and challenge at the highest level so would prefer to represent England, ultimately as professionals they have to do what is best for their careers and their family, a lot of pro sports people don't just sit at home counting cash, they've short careers and some of them are breadwinners for their whole extended family who may have lived in poverty. Maybe they don't reach that level so say well I'll play for Ireland then, and that's fine, once they give it their all (which most do). Plenty of full blood Irish lads don't give half the effort as some of the English born lads.

I don't think throwing the toys out of the pram and saying "well he was born in England so if he's any good he'll play for them, we'll not call him up for the U17s/U21s". Number one, you've to pick the best guys to play for you, they will bring on the others also by playing with the best, number two, you can get them in show them what it means to pull on the green jersey, give them the opportunity to be proud of being Irish even if they go on to play for England or whoever. Is it at the detriment of "100% Irish" lads? No, if they're good enough they'll get called up.

TLDR; nationality isn't clear cut one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Is there a financial angle for players to declare as "English" or not?

I'm thinking of future transfers and the like.

I dont think Kenny is going to beg him to play for us, id say kenny will say in a round a bout way, if you are called up again, take it or there wont be another call up, he wont let him wait a couple of years to see what his chances are with England.

Once they say they aren't sure who to play for, I wouldn't call them up.

If he chooses England , I hope he never gets a cap for them.

Generally England Internationals demand a higher wage/fee. Also more lucrative endorsements etc. You're looking at a market 10 times the size of Ireland.

At the highest level, being English will also command a higher wage/fee even if you are not an international, but at the level most of our players are at I don't think there is much difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Irish people were historically treated poorly in England so there was a them and and us situation where people kept in their own communities (something that is developing here now with the treatment of migrants/refugees). This helped the national team as a sense of Irish identity was passed down through the generations. This has largely disappeared for second and third generation as there is not the migration that was once there and the IRA are no longer the bogie man that they were so the English bigotry is now aimed at those from outside of western europe rather than at Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

England looking a bit light on strikers for the forthcoming under 21 campaign.

Good chance Cannon would be a starter for them based on form. It's not looking good for us to retain him.

If I remember correctly Rice had a much easier choice because he was basically guaranteed a cap when he changed to England. Cannon will have to start with the U21s and will have plenty of work to do.

That said, some of his finishing for Preston was really emphatic and he looks so cool in front of goal that I think he has a good chance of getting senior caps for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Does this make us cannon fodder for the English? (I'll get my coat!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Which English forward his age has a record as good as him? I can't think of any. I reckon he has a very good chance at going straight into the first 11.

He'll likely go straight in as their starting forward for the U21s unless they show faith by sticking with Dane Scarlett as their number one. England's options for the next U21s campaign are extremely meh.

Dane Scarlett's first loan at Portsmouth was very meh but at least he's actually 16 months younger than Cannon so has an excuse for his first senior loan. But will likely be playing League One again next season.

Jebbison and Delap are six and three months younger than Cannon and have looked poor in the championship. Cannon did more in his short time at Preston than both players combined have done at championship level.

• Advertisement

I mean he will have plenty of work to do to get into the senior squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement