Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Don't know why people are writing Kilkenny off all year (again). Clear second best team in the country. Bar a bit of a slow start I thought they were very impressive today . I'll admit they looked a bit tired in the end. They were the best team out of the four that played today.

Rte comments about the Leinster championship all day are absolutly a disgrace by the way. You swear it was made of junior B teams and the Munster Championship was gods gift to world.

Also the first thing Joanne Cantwell says after the final whistle was that he took too many steps. Instead of praising the goal and the heart they showed to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I’m glad Donal agrees with me. Sense. Unbelievably sloppy finish. They won’t believe it watching it back

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Think Clare's rolling around from free's came back to bite them. It was a sloppy finish with wides. Hats off to limerick. This championship is wide open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Best team out of the four might be stretching it.... they did leave an 8 point lead slip into a 2 point lead for Galway... that’s a 10 point turnaround in 15-20mins... obviously Galway like they usually do they found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... padraic ‘brain dead’ mannion will be on killian Buckley’s xmas card list forever more for his kindness/stupidity....

but there is a freshness about kk this year that is definitely helping with their performances.... can see them making final but they will come up short...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Would you stop Karen, it was basic instinct to clear the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I think Clare have a serious chance to win all Ireland

might back them

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

If they hit bad wides down the final straight and Brian Lohan doesn't sharpen up I see nothing only heroic defeats.

This is a bit cruel but the 2013 All Ireland was a soft one. Goals scored in the replay when the Cork defence parted like the Red Sea (pardon the pun). Tipp and Kilkenny were the 2 powerhouse teams and left the championship early. Conlon, O'Donnell, TK and McInerney are excellent hurlers still on the scene.

But prior to that All Ireland and after it Clare have constantly fell short over a quarter of a century. They never looked like beating a Limerick team in 3rd gear today.

And something else I'll get slated for, TK has been hitting nearly as many wides as scores in the really big games of the past few years. Gillane, TJ Reid, Conor Whelan, Diarmuid Byrnes, Jason Forde and others have been far more accurate be it frees or play. TK is a great player but can be wayward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 LV-426

Agreed. Wonder what taking him off would do for him?

• Advertisement

Someone enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

TK? Hard one he's still contributing a lot. Just for the amount of ball he's getting on the percentage return needs to go up.

Clare can't keep getting to finals and not getting over the line. You have to start winning one or you slip back. There's only so many chances you get.

Waterford had their chances in 2020 and 2021 then dropped back. The same will happen to Clare if they don't get silverware. Kilkenny got some again today when the fat was in the fire. They max out with mediocre squads and Clare underachieve. The opposite of Clare in the 90s, no great depth in the forwards but got over the line.

There's a huge difference between winning and drawing and going to extra time in 2022 and losing by a point like today. They were mentally beat as much as physically when they met Kilkenny last year. Losing close finals does that whereas winning them like Limerick and Kilkenny enhances their belief in tight finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 LV-426

I guess who would you put on instead of him? But the fact remains some games pass Tony by. Be it a man marker or a bad day being the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The man sure love wearing so many layers of clothes

Is he afraid of the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He's still u18 so can't play Senior intercounty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Some hurling fans here may want to brush up on the rules of they game they claim to be experts on.

Rule 5.11

To charge an opponent in the back or front.

Penalty for the above foul a free puck from where the foul occured.

It was a free regardless of the what happened in the game before that.

But Limerick fans are blinded by success brought by JPs money that they can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Not a Limerick fan but don't think it would have been fair for him to blow the whistle when ignoring it all game just because Clare were a point down.

Have we stopped hating the gaa playing for a draw now?

And what about hegarty being called back for a free when he was through to a 2 on 1 with gillane

Clare should have won...plain and simple..but the bottled it when they needed to convert the points.

They'll watch that game back and struggle to understand their decision making at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You don't think it would have been 'fair' for him to give a free for a blatant shoulder in the chest? Or that if he had given a free for such an obvious foul that it would have been put down to Clare being a point down and him playing for a draw?

It's always fun to see some of the whacky stuff you hear shouted in from the sidelines at matches written down here, like there's some kind of logic behind it.

There's a hundred situations yesterday where the ref ignored the rules. It's a ridiculous situation and one I do not support in general. Our rules are not enforced properly. So with that I don't think it would have been fair for the ref to suddenly find his rulebook in the dying seconds just for fairness.

How can you ignore all of the other situations in the game where the ref let things flow but suddenly focus on this one single incident that would have drawn the game for Clare. Would you have rewound to the time Hayes should have got his second yellow for holding gillanes arm and fixed that too?

This isn't our first rodeo... we've seen this a million times before. Stop acting persecuted like this is some agenda funded by JP.

Should we rewind to 2013 when Cork were leading deep into injury time and the ref let the game run on until Clare got the equaliser?

Accept the loss and move on. I can guarantee you that's what lohan and his men are doing.

• Amazing how it's assumed Clare should have won based on chances spurned when Limerick had more wides.

And ya the callback for Hegarty when he was through on goal puts Clare's free at the end in the ha'penny place

• Advertisement

I'm not from Clare. And I don't have some sort of anti-Limerick agenda, wherever you've pulled that from.

It's hard to understand because of how blatant a foul it was, but it's understandable that referees get calls wrong. Mistakes are only human. What isn't understandable is punters somehow trying to justify that it was actually the right decision, because of other missed calls earlier in the game. That's pure baby-brained stuff.

Yeah, but peak hurling fan is to *only* count your team's wides as missed opportunities and to look at the imbalance in free count only when your team was the indisciplined one.

Kelly didn't even have the ball. That's why it was let slide. He was consistent on this for the entire game. Watch the match back...he ignored this kind of stuff all game long.

And also, if he didn't see it then tough ****. That's sport and that's life.

Well, yes, exactly. But that not the same as 'ara, sure it was actually the correct decision'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its a foul because he didn't have the ball. You might understand it if he had the ball and your allowed to give a shoulder in the correct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

All this talk about clare let it slip too many wides bull !

Limerick were by far the better side that second half and should have put clare to bed only for some very generous referreeing and bad wides themselves!

Post edited by Eoinbmw on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I can' really make my mind up if Limerick are getting the breaks, or if the rest are looking for excuses. Maybe a bit of both.

Limerick v Waterford - obvious red card for S.Flanagan missed

Limerick v Tipp - controversial finish with that (seemingly) obvious sideline ball, Tipp management given red cards etc,

Limerick v Cork - a fairly obvious situation of Gillane conning the ref for a penalty

Limerick v Clare - seemingly obvious free in not give at the death

These get attention of course but they are critical moments in the closing stages of the games. To assess the refereeing overall you'd need to look at all decisions over the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

For the Hegarty one, he overcarried so they brought it back for a free in (rather than a free out for steps)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭tranquilo

A JP comment again 😂😂 I don't think I've ever seen a team create so much bitterness or live rent free in opposition fans heads in my life.

If they win the All Ireland again this year there'll be a few nervous breakdowns in here for sure.

On the match itself, 5 Munsters in a row! Actually unbelievable how good this team are. And they're doing this without Sean Finn and Cian Lynch. Ridiculous how strong their panel is

Advertisement