Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭flatty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No they got highlighted already in a wide ranging report into GAA stadia which is why PnG now holds 5000 less than originally intended.

Stupid to move the Munster final to Croke Park because some people with no expertise think something might someday happen based on a photo of an orderly crowd.

The Morey thing is a mystery to me from the outside, but honestly, the vast majority of backs in the country would have fared not much better given the Limerick tactics and the quality of the ball in. Ollie Canning maybe would have held him better, but he's a great forward whatever else.

Under those circumstances I'd have kicked it away from goal just like he did. Just unlucky was all. Such is life. We go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Butson

No disrespect to Offaly and Carlow, but looking like Galway v Tipp and Clare v Dublin.

Croke Park double header?

Gaelic Grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I agree. It happens. It’s just surprising considering the standards of the player. He’s judged off the highest standard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭kksaints

Shouldn't be such a crowd gathering on a enclosed staircase regardless of whether the crowd is orderly or not. It's where most crush incidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Am I the only one that thinks Limerick have slipped a nice bit from 2 years ago. It has made for close games in Munster and close games get mistaken for classics when there is big crowds at the venues. But the other teams in Munster are not brilliant and so just aren't able to put a fading Limerick away.

I think Galway or Kilkenny are better equipped to beat Limerick than any of Clare, Tipperary or Cork and I see one of the Leinster finalists winning the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Last year it was a Thurles double header.

But maybe Tipp's presence makes that less likely.

Croke Park double header would probably suit all teams better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Wasn't there something being said about cork being promised a quarter final??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You're totally right.

Even just consider that Finn and Lynch are injured, with Hegarty, Hannon etc. not in top form. It has opened the door to other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

a club junior hurling manager would have swapped the corner backs at a minimun after Gillianes 2nd or at most 3rd score

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭cosatron

no place for that kind of talk around here. its munster hurling and thats it. I was pleaseantly surprise at the level of hurling yesterday in croker having not attended a galway game since covid. If henry sorts out of defensive problems, i think we might give tipp and then limerick a game of it but as of now, too many cheap scores being given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Limerick have dropped off a bit it's undeniable struggling to find form all year!

I do think teams "get up" for Limerick and throw the kitchen sink at them so no easy games !

Yesterday I don't think Limerick or Clare were at their best by any stretch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's funny how when all is said and done in the provincial championships we are in the most predictable situation which is the same as last year. Galway found a new innovative way to lose to Kilkenny but other than that it's more of the same.

Clare had Limerick for the taking yesterday but ultimately are just that little bit short. The Limerick defence stifled them in the end yesterday and forced silly shots. Clare might even be vulnerable to a strong Dublin display in a QF but I cannot see them making a final no matter what. People will defend the Clare management but doing nothing when Limerick had only one fully-functioning forward for so much of the game was a strange decision. Maybe they were thrown by getting ahead by half-time and thought they'd work their way through it, but they were dominated for 20 minutes of the second half. Plenty of time to consider matters and see the pattern of the game changing.

Limerick should improve and should again have too much for Galway. Limerick v Kilkenny final I think. Kilkenny were always protected by the draw and always probable finalists. Even now it's still working in their favour with Tipperary, Galway and Limerick on the same side of the draw (probably); Kilkenny would choose Clare/Dublin any day of the week. Their ultimate outcome would be for Galway to somehow make the final against them.

It is a great testimony to Limerick to come through all of that with injuries and a competitive province and still be standing. Hopefully all will be on board and fit for the last surge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think physically teams are matching them much more so than in previous years. The Limerick midfield of O'Donoghue and O'Donovan are hardly Fenton/McCarthy in terms of quality, but yet have dominated that area in the past number of years on pure physicality, teams are matching Limerick in that area now and sometimes getting the better of them. Conlon yesterday was a spare man, but played very close to the middle third to prevent the overlaps and direct running with the ball which disrupts Limericks preferred game plan - but as can be seen, this leaves a very precarious 2 on 2 inside and Limerick are superb at finding Flanagan/Gillane in space and either or both of them can skin a team alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The only thing Galway are fit for is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yesterday was the worst example but they have history of those collapses.

How they can be considered serious contenders is baffling. I can't imagine what damage the Tipperary forwards will do to that defense.

Kilkenny with Mullen & Reid back will be a serious force in a final, but Limierick also have massive room for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

I don't know if the standard is higher or lower than previous years. I would add to the conversation that when two teams are evenly matched physically, are fully committed and go man for man, you get a lot more mistakes and chaotic randomness. Very hard to accurately execute under such pressure. We saw batting, over the shoulder striking and ground hurling yesterday in Munster! Also the amount of scores that came from improvisation seemed much higher than the structured set piece scores. I enjoyed both games yesterday but felt the physical commitment in first half in Leinster was much lower than the second half.

There's never really much in it.

1993 Galway (4) 1-16 - 1-14 Tipperary

2000 Galway (5) 1-14 - 0-15 Tipperary

2001 Tipperary (17) 2-18 - 2-15 Galway

2003 Tipperary (18) 1-18 - 1-17 Galway

2005 Galway (6) 2-20 - 2-18 Tipperary

Tipperary (19) 3-17 - 3-16 Galway

2015 Galway (7) 0-26 - 3-16 Tipperary

2016 Tipperary (21) 2-19 - 2-18 Galway

2017 Galway (8) 0-22 - 1-18 Tipperary

2020 Galway (9) 3-23 - 2-24 Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I'd go back to the '87 semi final for the modern Galway v Tipp rivalry. Don't remember them playing championship prior to that. And there's been so many good games and close run affairs but Galway are leading 8-5 in the head to head to head since then.

The county's have also met in 7 League finals since then with Galway winning 4 to Tipp's 3.

It's fair to say Galway have had the edge between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

In terms of the bigger picture:

Limerick heavy favs for the AI. I think there is an expectation that they will raise the level of performance for the SF and final as I don't think the performance yesterday or in the round-robin would be good enough to beat KK. But they probably do have another level in them and if they can sort a few knocks in the 4 week break, they will be incredibly hard to beat (not that they aren't already).

I thought Clare were quite poor yesterday, on the field and on obviously on the line too. A few of their bigger players had poor games, Fitzgerald, McCarthy and even TK was only ok and had some poor misses. The usual failures haunted them also - atrocious shot efficiency, poor free-taking, poor puck-outs etc. They should get through Dublin with probably some difficulty, but I think it ends for them in the SF at the hands of KK who will match them physically, but have far superior efficiency in attack. Of course if all went right for Clare on a day, they can beat anyone. I don't think yesterdays defeat will hurt as much as last year where they probably played as well as they could have and still lost - yesterday they were a good bit off and that should give them a bit more hope and belief going down the stretch.

Galway played really well at times yesterday and again finished the game out powerfully - their conditioning looks to be excellent. But the loss yesterday leaves them a really difficult route to the AI now and its hard to see them win 3 tough games in a row with their level of consistency. They were hugely dependent on Whelan yesterday who was by a mile the standout player of the 2 games, without him, Galway could have been cleaned and that is a worry, although the performance of Kevin Cooney was a big boost. For the life of me I can't see how Conor Cooney still gets picked especially with Niland now on the frees, he hasn't played a decent game against top opposition since 2017.

I'd expect them to come through probably Tipp (They are a well-seasoned team at this stage and surely should have enough for an inexperienced but hopefully very game Tipp side), but I'd expect it to end at the hands of Limerick after another ferocious battle.

Tipp are a bit of an unknown at this stage. Had a great 1st 3 games in the round-robin, not even the most ardent Tipp fan expected them to be unbeaten of those 3 games. They worked their socks off and brought a work-rate that was the match of any team in the country. The Waterford match was an absolutely flop and maybe the paid a price for the obviously huge conditioning work that was done in a short time from last years disaster. If they bring the form of the first three games to the knock-out stages, they should beat Offaly, will give Galway plenty of it, but while they might get over Galway, I can't see them having enough to get through all of Offaly, Galway and Limerick in the space of a month. If they bring the form of the Waterford game, they won't even win in Tullamore.

Dublin will beat Carlow and I think they will provide a stern test to Clare, but they seem to fall away in the last quarter of games, so I'd expect Clare to see them off in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick would suit all 4 transport wise. If you can't do Thurles surely you can't use Croke Park.

I just added '87, '88 & '91 to your list and that brought it to 8-5.

I forgot '89 how could i that was hectic to say the least. That's 8-6.

I left out 2014 because it wasn't close. Could be others. Not sure.

Ok. 8-7 Galway. And 4-3 League finals. It's been a great rivalry only trumped by Kilkenny v Tipp i feel.

What happened five years ago is irrelevant never mind 30 years ago, but your figures are inaccurate.

Apologies - I see it's already been dealt with.

• Advertisement

Relevant to what? We're having a discussion on the Tipp v Galway rivalry thats all. And i've changed the results. If they are still incorrect perhaps you could add in what i missed.

Advertisement