Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just for the record Leinster sell out at 13.5k season ticket holders.

They can't sell more without breaching regulations from competitions.

That's just an idea of the scale of the additional tickets that must be held back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's been drawn out for a long time this re development. Hopefully, it gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd probably give up my season ticket if we ended up in the Aviva for 2 seasons, I find visibility to be dreadful from the lower tier there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Seems like Sexton might be hauled up before the EPCR yet. Quite a while after the final but whatever. There's a lot of supposition in the article about missing the World Cup, but they mentioned the Pau coach getting a 10 week ban for swearing at the referee and laying hands on him.

In 10 weeks is the entry point for that then I can imagine Sexton getting a 5-6 week ban for his actions which may see him missing the warm ups and a pool game or two.

He's a video of his best bits anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Are we looking at a ban here? I haven't seen the incident and surely it's not going to get him scuppered from the world cup.

• Advertisement

Ireland should start acting the bollix here like some other teams/countries have done recently and schedule a couple of pointless friendly games for July against provincial development sides, to use up any suspension Sexton gets that way.

When Tom Jordan got the red against Munster in the URC while he missed the Challenge Cup Final, the rest of his suspension was used up by three games in the Scottish Super Series (in which Glasgow's A side compete) and a Barbarians/Swansea fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They wont and often organising bodies etc will look at that and say they have to be meaningful games. IRFU mightnt get away with that with Sexton Tom Jordon missed a big game in terms of challenge cup final. Sexton is bigger profile, the alleged incident took place during the premier game of the european club season.

No, I get the argument, but the Jordan example clearly wasn't the case of it being meaningful games, and there have been other examples of teams doing this same thing.

Sexton's stature and where the incident took place shouldn't factor into this sort of thing - an offence is an offence regardless of where it occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

There has been several cases of players bans not including games say in the week before the 6 nations because they were never going to play that to ensure they miss 2 6 nations games they would have played.

If its decided to punish sexton for his actions especially when he wasnt even a member of the playing squad on the day the powers that be may want to send a message and an offence when not a player is very different to a player on pitch commiting an offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Just a reminder that Sonny Bill Williams was allowed to count a training match and some other farcial invention as part of his suspension when he got red-carded against the Lions.

There is plenty of ridiculous precedent out there. Just need to schedule St Mary's v Leinster A and Ireland vs Ireland Wolfhounds and be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed.

To be honest I think this is a storm in a tea cup issue. Sexton has as much right to be on that pitch after the game as every other squad member from both sides. The incident lasted seconds and there was no face to face aggression.

Compared to what Dylan Hartley said to Barnes (on microphone, during a game) which got hartley, a serial offender, 11 weeks.... Or the physical assaulr by that French pau coach on grove-white which got him 10 weeks... What sexton is alleged to have done, if proven is certainly lesser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It didn't even look like Peyper noticed Sexton in that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t think he is a squad member. He’s wearing a suit. However, i agree this won’t amount to much.

just to be clear, if sexton is found guilty he should be banned certainly. verbal abuse is not to be tolerated at all.

But in my opinion, considering the time of the offense (post game), the emotion of the time, the brevity of the incident, and the alleged words used, id view it as a low end offence under 9.28 which has an entry of 6 weeks. Given sextons recent clean disciplinary record, i think hes looking at a 3 week ban (again, if the incident is upheld).

again, in my opinion, i see no difference between saying "youre a disgrace" and "youre a fcuking disgrace" in the seriousness of "verbal abuse" towards a referee. If he said "youre a disgrace" it shouldn't be viewed as a lesser offence to using the f word

the fact hes wearing a suit is completely immaterial.

hes a squad member. Leinster had to register their HC squad at the start of the season. LAR had non playing squad members on the pitch after the game, and had 'suit wearing' officials also on the pitch celebrating as well. Sexton had as much right to be on the pitch as everyone else who was on the pitch at the end of the game.

They have to name a squad for that game though and he’s not on it. He’s also not a coach. Alot of people have the right to celebrate but none of them have the right to talk to the ref.

Alot of people have the right to celebrate but none of them have the right to talk to the ref.

and i didnt say that, i was making the point that he was a squad member so had the right to be on the pitch. As i already said, LAR had non playing squad members on the pitch celebrating afterwards as well.

do you think there's some regulation which says only match day squads are allowed on the pitch after the game?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd imagine it would make a difference. If he's there as a non-matchday squad member, should his potential punishment be for that of a player or for non-plaing staff? For example if the physio had a go at the ref, what kind of sanction would he/she face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

the closest comparison i can suggest is the Pau coach grabbing sam grove-whites arm for which he got a 10 week ban. he was charged under "threatening words or actions" rather than "physical assault" which would have gotten him a heavier sanction. Sexton didnt make any contact with any official, and the alleged charge is a verbal one, though one official claimed to have felt intimidated.

it will certainly be interesting to see how it goes

• Advertisement

That's it really - it wouldn't be more or less acceptable if he said something having just played 80 minutes. I don't get the distinction or why it should be a feature of any suspension he might get for this.

I might be picking small differences but if anything the coach has more right to talk to the ref than sexton. But he didn’t touch him so that is different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

For example if the physio had a go at the ref, what kind of sanction would he/she face?

The Munster doctor got a 3 week ban for, eh, giving Jamie George some free advice around his weight a few seasons ago.

Player tho, not ref, so not sure if that would make much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Has it been officially confirmed if the investigation is about the half time incident or the post match incident?

Player tho, not ref, so not sure if that would make much of a difference.

surprisingly, it actually doesn't make a difference, from a sanction point of view, whether the receiver of the verbal abuse is a player or official.

the big sanction difference is in physical abuse.

"officially" no, but its been reported that the half time incident "have been found to be of little significance and are unlikely to see major repercussions."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Let's say he'd retired at the end of the season. Would he just be let go unpunished?

I've no idea tbh - what ability to sanction would they have over him then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think he would just be given the same punishment but effectively he would get away with it. Not much else can be done.

• Advertisement

shure didnt dan Goggin get a nine week ban after kicking a player in the face, and left to play semi pro rugby in australia. whether he has to fulfil the ban is still unsure.

Advertisement